Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How Do You Flippers Make Any Money?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How Do You Flippers Make Any Money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 201 Posts
I just wanted to add my recent experience at sorta kinda trying to be a flipper. There was an Airborne titanium MTB with full XTR listed for $175 about 15min from my home. I messaged via Facebook and was told that someone had offered $200 but if I wanted to pay $225 it was mine. I figured it was a still a deal and so said OK. I drove out to pick it up and the seller told me someone else had just picked it up for $225.

In my short time scanning classifieds for deals, this has happened a couple times. Sellers can charge what they want, and I know it can be frustrating selling. You get no-shows, you get people agreeing to $X and then asking for $50 off and saying take it leave it. Of course the seller priced the bike way too low. But it’s frustrating as a buyer too. Hunting for and finding bargains can be fun, but it’s also stressful and why I’ll only dive into this sporadically.
Old 02-23-21, 08:21 PM

Bikes: 2011 Surly Cross Check, 1990 Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Don't sell to a fellow mechanic!

As a someone who's never bought a bike new and fixes up bikes for myself or friends, I don't know if I could ever buy from a flipper.

I'm sure they do quality work but I see their ads and just think, thats not hard and I could do that myself. In my market in the Twin Cities lots of people are riding vintage frames. Mostly old raleighs, Schwinns a fair number of Japanese bikes and Treks as well. flippers usually charge around 200 for a basic scheinn and closer to 300 or 400 for a nice trek. Personally I think those prices are steep for a recable, new chain, bar tape, and brake adjustment job.

The price reflects a convenience factor. Most people don't know how or don't want to fix up a bike, so they are willing to pay extra for a cool vintage bike thats completed. Me id rather save for another frame and do the work myself.
Likes For HenryhHuber:
Old 02-23-21, 09:04 PM

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by alexihnen
I just wanted to add my recent experience at sorta kinda trying to be a flipper. There was an Airborne titanium MTB with full XTR listed for $175 about 15min from my home. I messaged via Facebook and was told that someone had offered $200 but if I wanted to pay $225 it was mine. I figured it was a still a deal and so said OK. I drove out to pick it up and the seller told me someone else had just picked it up for $225.

In my short time scanning classifieds for deals, this has happened a couple times. Sellers can charge what they want, and I know it can be frustrating selling. You get no-shows, you get people agreeing to $X and then asking for $50 off and saying take it leave it. Of course the seller priced the bike way too low. But it’s frustrating as a buyer too. Hunting for and finding bargains can be fun, but it’s also stressful and why I’ll only dive into this sporadically.
I've seen the same since March 2020. Just yesterday a bike I messaged the seller about had doubled in price ($120 --> $250). I haven't purchased many bikes to refurbish since this started which has led to more riding time.

Less people are watching parts so I have been able to flip some components for at least double.