Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone build a faux vintage path racer type bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone build a faux vintage path racer type bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-21, 09:13 PM
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
Definitely a worthwhile project which provides a different riding experience. Mine is a 1964 Holdsworth Typhoon club racer set up as a single speed. It has the prerequisite mustache bars, leather grips & white tyres. Wheels are semi modern rims laced to Campagnolo Gran Sport hubs. Crankset is a cheapo Stronglight swaged arm alloy unit & brakes are Weinmann 500s activated by their “city” levers. Before Covid, I was riding it once a week. Now, I don’t get much time on it.

DONE
Cheers,
Van

Last edited by Senior Ryder 00; 11-01-21 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Add Pix & correct errors
Old 10-30-21, 10:01 AM
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
so i think i've determined the donor frame for this project.. a gaspipe torpado that i couldn't figure out what to do with. i think i'll do gloss black rustoleum but mask off the chrome lugs and leave the head tube white as is with the riveted head badge. i have some black 1st gen dura ace hubs to lace up with black rims and black spokes, some cream colored 35/700c tires, a black ofmega mistral RD, single chainring front, but hbars and saddle undetermined right now.

Likes For cocoabeachcrab:
Old 10-30-21, 10:24 AM
Old bikes, Older guy

Originally Posted by cocoabeachcrab
so i think i've determined the donor frame for this project.. a gaspipe torpado that i couldn't figure out what to do with. i think i'll do gloss black rustoleum but mask off the chrome lugs and leave the head tube white as is with the riveted head badge. i have some black 1st gen dura ace hubs to lace up with black rims and black spokes, some cream colored 35/700c tires, a black ofmega mistral RD, single chainring front, but hbars and saddle undetermined right now.

Way too nice for a “path racer”! Don’t think they did chrome plating in those days. 😉
Cheers,
Van
Old 10-30-21, 10:30 AM
Myrtle Beach Crab

Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Way too nice for a “path racer”! Don’t think they did chrome plating in those days. 😉
Cheers,
Van
i was going to use a moto grand record frame, but after looking at it this morning, i think i'll sell it. it's a bit too tall for me anyway. don't know the pedigree on this torpado... probably late 60's or early 70's boom bike. i got it dirt cheap because the seller thought it was a "torpedo" and not worth a trip to the dump. and after looking at my handy dandy "the vintage bicycle" book from steel vintage bikes, there are plenty of chromed lugs on bikes from the 30's onward.

Last edited by cocoabeachcrab; 10-30-21 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-30-21, 04:36 PM
Myrtle Beach Crab

choosing handlebars for this project is so difficult. and the soma website has a sale going on for a few days. oh, the pressure...
Old 10-31-21, 07:55 PM
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 136 Posts
Nice frame. I like where you're going with the wheels/tyres. If it were my frame, I wouldn't paint it, but that's me. Whatever gets you riding it. I would say, build it up and ride it before painting to make sue it fits.
Old 10-31-21, 08:52 PM
Myrtle Beach Crab

Originally Posted by romperrr
Nice frame. I like where you're going with the wheels/tyres. If it were my frame, I wouldn't paint it, but that's me. Whatever gets you riding it. I would say, build it up and ride it before painting to make sue it fits.
too late for the painting plans... not many days of acceptable temps for out of doors painting, so sanded and prepped it today, masking fluid arrives tomorrow for the lugs, and hoping for paint application monday through mid week before the november cold settles in. rustoleum gloss black enamel, with some clear coat if i don't do my usual and get impatient (or overconfident) and run the paint somewhere!
Old 11-01-21, 08:41 AM

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Built this last year. I always put 24 tooth rear cogs on Raleighs to give them better hill climbing ability but you can go down to about 14 teeth if you really want to.

Old 11-01-21, 09:09 AM
Myrtle Beach Crab

Originally Posted by capnjonny
Built this last year. I always put 24 tooth rear cogs on Raleighs to give them better hill climbing ability but you can go down to about 14 teeth if you really want to.

i thought about keeping with a single speed but it's too hilly, so going to have to have at least 5 speeds. looking at my slowly growing collection box of parts, this bike is going to end up being blasphemous and no doubt an affront to to vintage puristas, but what the hell...
Old 11-02-21, 11:57 AM
Myrtle Beach Crab

well, as was no doubt totally predictable, i gaffed up the paint job. i must have been out sick on the day that Obi Wan was teaching patience. the rustoleum enamel gloss black went on beautifully, with no runs and actually quite glossy! i couldn't wait like the angel on my right shoulder was whispering in my ear ... had to listen instead to the devil guy on my other shoulder, so not even 24 hours had gone by and I applied rustoleum enamel clear gloss and right before my eyes, my beautiful paint job became something out of the post WW2 nuclear test at Bikini atoll, or a B&W photo of a dry lake bed on mars, or a really old elephant's testicles. so now having knocked the laughing little devil off of my shoulder (don't worry though, he'll be back i'm sure..), i'm ponding my next move.
1) i can just leave it as is and call it the old timey look and build the bike anyway as a monument to what impatience looks like
2) i can do item 1 but get out my modelers airbrush and paint some rusty brown here and there and repeat the old timey look mantra as if i really meant to have it look like that
3) strip the paint and try again next spring
4) take the carcass to the recycle bin at the dump well after dark while wearing a disguise.

no need for anyone to give me advise... i'm sure i won't listen.

time to head to the beer store....
Likes For cocoabeachcrab:
Old 11-02-21, 02:23 PM
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 182 Posts
i thought about keeping with a single speed but it's too hilly, so going to have to have at least 5 speeds.
Here is my interpretation of what you may be looking to do. This is a FUN bike to ride and I use it to swoop the local bike paths.

https://utahrandonneur.wordpress.com...tes-moustache/

Old 11-05-21, 10:01 AM
Old bikes, Older guy

well, as was no doubt totally predictable, i gaffed up the paint job. i must have been out sick on the day that Obi Wan was teaching patience. the rustoleum enamel gloss black went on beautifully, with no runs and actually quite glossy! i couldn't wait like the angel on my right shoulder was whispering in my ear ... had to listen instead to the devil guy on my other shoulder, so not even 24 hours had gone by and I applied rustoleum enamel clear gloss and right before my eyes, my beautiful paint job became something out of the post WW2 nuclear test at Bikini atoll, or a B&W photo of a dry lake bed on mars, or a really old elephant's testicles. so now having knocked the laughing little devil off of my shoulder (don't worry though, he'll be back i'm sure..), i'm ponding my next move.
1) i can just leave it as is and call it the old timey look and build the bike anyway as a monument to what impatience looks like
2) i can do item 1 but get out my modelers airbrush and paint some rusty brown here and there and repeat the old timey look mantra as if i really meant to have it look like that
3) strip the paint and try again next spring
4) take the carcass to the recycle bin at the dump well after dark while wearing a disguise.

no need for anyone to give me advise... i'm sure i won't listen.

time to head to the beer store....
Ouch! Personally, I’d build it with the paint as is, ride until spring & then redo. 😏
Cheers,
Van
Old 11-05-21, 10:19 AM
Myrtle Beach Crab

Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Ouch! Personally, I’d build it with the paint as is, ride until spring & then redo. 😏
Cheers,
Van
i hung it up in the basement for now (i can hear the mice laughing at my botched paint job all the way up to the 2nd floor), and now my attention is on a mid 30's silver king that has 100 yards of polishing to do, a set of wheels to build up, the issue of using either a sachs 2x duomatic or a SA kick-back hub... never a dull moment!
Old 11-05-21, 01:40 PM
Not so new

Bikes: Klein Quantum, Schwinn Peloton, Moulton AM Esprit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Something old, something new

Inspired by the path racers, but not meant to look old. Metax stainless steel frame I built about 15 years ago I guess. Have a Champion Flyer sprung saddle on it now. Smooooth. It weighs about 20 pounds.
Old 11-05-21, 04:53 PM
Not so new

Bikes: Klein Quantum, Schwinn Peloton, Moulton AM Esprit

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
English racer

Another version, for picnics in the country.
Likes For trentschler:
Old 02-23-22, 05:56 PM

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Record, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1983 Univega Alpina Ultima, 1960s Raphael Geminani, 1994 Trek 820 Bafang ebike

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 17 Posts
[QUOTE=cocoabeachcrab;22285284]after reading with interest this thread.. How Rare Are 1900s - 1920s Road Bikes? , i was reminded of a covid lockdown project i was pondering... a faux vintage look alike but with easier to find components and frameset. i have an early 70's Moto grand record frame that is rough but undamaged, and had considered doing a weathered and aged paint job with lug lining to accent those nice lugs, maybe some Lauterwasser bars, a well worn leather saddle, that sort of look. no labels or decals on the frame, just going for an old timey look but easier to source parts for servicing. anyone have some inspiration pics of projects like this on this nor easter day for me to drool over?[/QUOTE

Last edited by dschell; 02-28-22 at 12:46 PM.
Likes For dschell:
Old 02-23-22, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 205 Posts
Yes. I used a 68cm KHS with Soma Major Taylor bars and Nervar cottered cranks.

Here is the bike.

Last edited by grant40; 02-25-22 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-23-22, 08:21 PM
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I've never posted it to this thread, but it fits the overall vibe. Unknown frame from the co-op with 55mm of bb drop. Dented in the toptube from where a bottle jack had been used to break a ulock look to have occurred before the powdercoat. NOS DeepVs from the same co-op trip laced with 1.8/1.5/1.8 spokes. 32mm rear tire, 35mm front is maxed out. Knockoff moustache bar. I think it's just under 20lbs. I have far too many bikes, but this is one of them I can't rationalize selling. Probably because it would be worthless to anyone but me.

Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 02-23-22, 10:04 PM

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Record, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1983 Univega Alpina Ultima, 1960s Raphael Geminani, 1994 Trek 820 Bafang ebike

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 17 Posts

The Raleigh is not a single/fixed , Alfine 11, with upside down velo orange city bars

Last edited by dschell; 02-28-22 at 12:47 PM.