Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Beginner's question on when to shift gears and what "cross-chaining" is in my setup.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Beginner's question on when to shift gears and what "cross-chaining" is in my setup.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-20, 08:48 PM
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by 33yearslate
This is helpful. I guess I need to figure out where the overlaps are in my bike to achieve these smoother transitions. But now I do understand the topic much better. Looks like I have a lot of practicing to do. Not sure why, but this hobby quickly turned from, "I want to learn how to ride" to "I want to push my bike as fast as it will go and be as good of a rider as possible" in about a week.
Glad to help! People, here, are phenomenal in expertise. But I didn't understand my gears (well) until someone explained the math in "feet per pedal revolution". Now I know that in the granny I won't be out-running a kid on a big wheel, at 4-5 feet per revolution

A lot is down to feel, as some have mentioned. I stand to wear out (if ever) my 15 tooth, 7th (out of nine) cassette first, simply because that's the gear that is easiest to maintain good, efficient speed in the second and third front rings for me... at this time AND in my particular riding location. Then, you never know: last week a miscue took me down a perfect road where I exceeded my maximum gear's ability for the first time! Have to admit, my initial thought was, "I need more gears!"

By the gods that aren't, and the wrath of my wife, I will not go down that path....
Old 04-21-20, 02:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
Oh interesting.. I thought 2 would be able to handle everything. I may have been doing this wrong.
it's your legs that are doing the handling. they will tell you when it's getting too hard or easy enough to want more. good onya for asking questions some people just ignore as they pedal down life's highway completely oblivious!
Likes For southpier:
Old 04-21-20, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by kaiserschmarrn
So, after reading this, is "cross chaining" just the one small rear sprocket with the small chainring, and just the one big rear sprocket with the large chainring, or is it more rear sprockets in those scenarios? When I run "big/big or "small/small" on my new bike, I get some chain/derailleur rub. When I say "small/small", or "big/big", it means that I get some chain/derailleur rub from the first to third small rear sprocket snd the first to third big rear sprocket. Can anything be done about that?

Thanks,

Danny

yes; don't do it. you're in control. get a chain and hold each end. move it up & down and feel how smooth it articulates. now extend sideways pressure as you move it and feel how the links start to bind. time to go wash your hands and head out for a ride all the much wiser.
Old 04-21-20, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
…., "I need more gears!" .....
whatever you do, don't get "them" started on 'gear inches'!
Likes For southpier:
Old 04-21-20, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by southpier
yes; don't do it. you're in control. get a chain and hold each end. move it up & down and feel how smooth it articulates. now extend sideways pressure as you move it and feel how the links start to bind. time to go wash your hands and head out for a ride all the much wiser.
I understand what cross chaining is, as indicated above. My question was, is that only one sprocket from the big or small end on the rear sprockets, or two, three? I am getting some derailleur/chain rub in those conditions, up to maybe three sprockets either way.

Danny
Old 04-21-20, 09:04 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6241 Post(s)
Liked 4,250 Times in 2,383 Posts
I understand what cross chaining is, as indicated above. My question was, is that only one sprocket from the big or small end on the rear sprockets, or two, three? I am getting some derailleur/chain rub in those conditions, up to maybe three sprockets either way.

Danny
It can depend on the derailer you are using. Shimano’s more expensive derailers have a narrower space between the inner and outer plate than Shimano’s less expensive derailers. Cable tension and the limit screws play a role as well. If the cable is too tight and if the limit is set too far outboard, the derailer will be pushed out too far. For the low end, the cable may be too tight and the limit set to far outboard.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-21-20, 09:14 AM

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
So should I be on my largest front ring for a flat road as a starting point?
In addition to what was said above, there really is no 'should' here. Do what it comfortable for you. I get your trepidation, and as the exception to the rule, the only 'shoulds' are that you would avoid the big-big and small-small combinations. Other than that, do what works comfortably for you.

My velomobile is a completely different beast, and I have it set up rather different than a standard bike's gearing. My setup is 3 x 9. (30-44-56 and 11-36)

For starting on level ground, I'm in 1 x 3. I only have two 'granny gears lower than that for hill climbing, but that's because my velo weighs ~70 lbs and I don't like mashing. My setup is such that my smallest front ring works well on the whole range of the rear cassette (so I can readily use the small-small combination, though I tend to avoid it). The flip side is my large ring binds pretty bad on anything lower than the 3rd gear on the back. My middle ring works with the whole range as well.

My typical shifting pattern is: Start in 1 x 3, shift to 1 x 5 (or maybe even 1 x6 if I'm going to be stopping again soon anyway), when I get to about 17-19 mph, I shift to the middle ring, and often drop one on the back, then it's 2 x 4-7. At about 24 mph I will shift to the big ring and with that, I can cruise up to about 34 mph, and if I have a little more of a downhill, I spin out around 48 mph.

Shifting up happens when I start 'spinning out', for me, that's around 105 rpms. Shifting down happens when I start mashing the pedals (or a little before, really) and that's typically around 80, but on flat ground with out much effort, I might relax down to about 70 rpms.
Old 04-21-20, 09:31 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Don't overthink this. You're already doing it exactly right. Riding a bicycle isn't nearly as complicated as some people would make you believe.

Think of your bike as having 3 different gear ranges. That's what the left shifter is for:
1 for uphills
2 for most of the time
3 for downhills and the two days each year you have a strong tailwind.

If you just do that you don't have to worry about cross chaining because you'll never do it.
This is my approach too. I notice you said you rode mainly in the center ring, and that is what I do. Since it is fairly level here in Lincoln, I pretty much stay in the center ring and just shift across the rear cluster as needed.

And again Granny for up hills. Center for most riding conditions. And the big ring for down hill and or with the wind. Some may suggest complicated shifting of the front, but it is kind of a waste of time. Just stick with what Retro and I suggest and you will get along just fine and enjoy your ride.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 04-21-20, 09:42 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
One more thing. Cross chaining. If I am in the center ring I use all 8 or 9 sprockets in the rear depending on if I am riding the bike or trike.
Some would try to convince you that I am cross chaining doing that. But think about this, some bikes only come with a single chain ring in front and may have as many as 12 gears in the rear cluster. Yet no one calls it cross chaining on those bikes. So-------it would seem that we can use the whole cluster in the rear with the center ring.
Old 04-21-20, 11:08 AM
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
To piggyback a little on rydabent : When (if safe) looking down at my front derailleur cage (an old 7 spd, supporting a 9 cassette) I, too, can shift my 2nd ring through 2-7 and not rub or have problems. Only rub on 1, 8, and 9. Third ring I' ve done 9-5 no problems.
​​​​​​
Old 04-21-20, 02:50 PM

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
It can depend on the derailer you are using. Shimano’s more expensive derailers have a narrower space between the inner and outer plate than Shimano’s less expensive derailers. Cable tension and the limit screws play a role as well. If the cable is too tight and if the limit is set too far outboard, the derailer will be pushed out too far. For the low end, the cable may be too tight and the limit set to far outboard.
My derailleur is a Shimano 105 R7000. I adjusted it slightly, but when I took it back to my dealer (it is brand new) to get shifting onto the small back sprocket adjusted, they thought I was talking about shifting onto the small front chainring, so they adjusted the derailleur. I then told them that it was the REAR, so they adjusted the rear derailleur and got that squared away. Right now, the front derailleur is adjusted so that there is a bit of chain contact on the big three rear sprockets and the little three sprockets, but it is actually not split evenly between big and small. There is probably more rub on more big sprockets, but it is not by much. Can all of it on both large and small rear sprockets be totally eliminated?

Danny
Old 04-21-20, 04:44 PM

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

My derailleur is a Shimano 105 R7000. I adjusted it slightly, but when I took it back to my dealer (it is brand new) to get shifting onto the small back sprocket adjusted, they thought I was talking about shifting onto the small front chainring, so they adjusted the derailleur. I then told them that it was the REAR, so they adjusted the rear derailleur and got that squared away. Right now, the front derailleur is adjusted so that there is a bit of chain contact on the big three rear sprockets and the little three sprockets, but it is actually not split evenly between big and small. There is probably more rub on more big sprockets, but it is not by much. Can all of it on both large and small rear sprockets be totally eliminated?

Danny
The 105 is in the range of fiddly Shimano fronts. Get the installation sheet for your front and follow the instructions precisely. Make sure that the plate on the derailer is absolutely parallel with the chainring.

If all else fails, get a Tiagra front. Front derailers are cheap.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-21-20, 06:56 PM

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The 105 is in the range of fiddly Shimano fronts. Get the installation sheet for your front and follow the instructions precisely. Make sure that the plate on the derailer is absolutely parallel with the chainring.

If all else fails, get a Tiagra front. Front derailers are cheap.
Thanks for the help. I was eyeing the alignment of the derailleur body. It is ever so slightly kicked inward at the rear. When I found that the derailleur is what they call a "braze on", I was not sure how this could be corrected. I briefly watched a Youtube video for this derailleur. I see that there is a set screw in the body of the derailleur that sets alignment to the chainring. I will soon get the manual. Right now, when Corona dies down, I am due a fitting with my shop. I will bring that up with them. I don't want to fiddle with it while they are responsible for the adjustments. I don't want them thinking that I am causing them extra work. If they don't get it solved, I will.

Danny
Old 04-21-20, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the help. I was eyeing the alignment of the derailleur body. It is ever so slightly kicked inward at the rear. When I found that the derailleur is what they call a "braze on", I was not sure how this could be corrected. I briefly watched a Youtube video for this derailleur. I see that there is a set screw in the body of the derailleur that sets alignment to the chainring. I will soon get the manual. Right now, when Corona dies down, I am due a fitting with my shop. I will bring that up with them. I don't want to fiddle with it while they are responsible for the adjustments. I don't want them thinking that I am causing them extra work. If they don't get it solved, I will.

Danny
That can cause your problem.

Old 04-22-20, 08:45 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Well, I'm going there...

Originally Posted by southpier
whatever you do, don't get "them" started on 'gear inches'!
Here's the calculator:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

And here is the numerical table that results in "gear inches" for a 3 x 7 system like the OP describes. Gear inches mean the relative difficulty of pedaling, or the distance that your bike travels for one rotation of the cranks:

Note that in the center column, you'll find the relative difficulty of pedaling when solely in the middle chainring. Also notice how the numbers in the columns overlap one another in a pattern. That's the pattern that your gearing represents over the entire range of your front chainrings and rear cogs. Now to relative speed:

The numbers above are miles per hour assuming that you pedal at a constant 80 rpms. As one poster said above, you should find the rpm rate that you find challenging but sustainable. Bike riding doesn't require you to be straining all of the time, but should be (normally) at a sustainable pace that balances the load on your heart/lungs with the strain on your muscles. 80 rpms would be a good starting cadence. 90 would be better, and you might reach that comfortably in a year or two. This is meant for average folks who ride, not for the very muscled or for the very wiry. Simply average.