Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

DiNotte 800L... Good lord...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

DiNotte 800L... Good lord...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 08:31 AM
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yomeishu
Hmm. Any upgrade path for new owners of the 600L? I just bought my 600L recently and was not told of the upcoming 800L even though I did ask about possible new/more powerful lights in the near future. Not even a hint of "You may like to wait for a little while..." Now I feel kinda cheated... :-(
Upgrade path? Mount the 600L on your helmet, and buy a new 800L for your handlebars... At least I'm considering it.
Old 09-24-08, 08:33 AM
Fat Guy Rolling

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Booger1
Denottes are very nice lights but they have to be making a bundle of money on those things.Their just raking people over the coals.
A company that is making good money on their product can provide good service, and is more likely to "go the extra mile" to make sure you are satisfied. That is less likely for a company selling things at razor-thin margins.

Consider me happily raked over the coals.

Last edited by dcrowell; 09-24-08 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-24-08, 09:16 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm sure to be setting myself up for flames with this question, but seriously... Aside from 24hr off-road racing, where do you really need 800+ lumens?
Old 09-24-08, 09:43 AM
Que CERA, CERA

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
I'm sure to be setting myself up for flames with this question, but seriously... Aside from 24hr off-road racing, where do you really need 800+ lumens?
You don't.

Of course, most of us don't need Dura-Ace, Record, carbon fiber, or titanium either.
Old 09-24-08, 09:45 AM
Neat - w/ ice on the side

Bikes: 2005 Dahon Speed TR, 2006 Dahon Mu SL, 2000 GT XiZang, 1999ish Rock Lobster, 2007 Dean Animas CTI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run my Wilma at 40% so nowhere near it's rated 750 or whatever lumens. But I have gone to 100% a few times on particularly challenging situations. Sometimes it's a very dark morning. Other times it's a lot of ambient light casting shadows over the pavement deep enough to hide potholes and the like.

If I was riding along where mechbgon shot that photo, I'd be all over 800+ lumens for see me reasons

Change you can believe in - Bigfoot Nessie 08
Old 09-24-08, 09:46 AM
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indeed, for commuting, most light output over 100 lumens or so is probably more of a "want". That said, I really like having about 500 lumens, but wouldn't complain if I had more (provided the light can be thrown efficiently and safely into a nice pattern onto the road before me)
Old 09-24-08, 10:30 AM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
We don't really need a billion lumen bike light from Dinotte or anyone else. What we need is a focused optic system that puts all the light we have where we need it - down on the road. I have a couple Dinotte 200L-AA's and they are nice lights, but the unfocused optics mean I'm shooting a lot of light up into the sky and the eyes of passing motorists/cyclists. The B&M IQ Fly is one of the Euro lights with a focused optic that makes the most of the light put out by the LED.
Old 09-24-08, 10:55 AM
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Aside from 24hr off-road racing, where do you really need 800+ lumens?
When you need the cloud of killer bees to combust before you ride through it.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 09-24-08, 11:58 AM
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We couldn't come to a consensus on lighting NEED if our lives depended on it. Clearly you don't need 800 lumens any more than you need five blinkies on the rear of your bike, although there's plenty of people who are comfortable with that level of illumination.

I'm pretty sure though, that if you were to ride a few months with 5/6/700 lumens your definition of need would likely change.
Old 09-24-08, 11:59 AM

Bikes: '02 Trek 4900 '08 Specialized Crosstrail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C'mon, a few of these babies and 13 blinkies and you might get mistaken for a UFO. "It was flying low, and going too fast to be anything from this planet," the locals might say. That alone is enough to justify it, right?

Really, it's the price that gets me. If it makes you feel better and more safe, great, it's good for you. But I'm upset if I have to pay more than $40 for new headlights on my automobile. I know I'm going to fork out more for a quality self-reliant system on my bike, but over 10 times more and costing almost as much as my rig itself? I'm just not that fiscally liberated.
Old 09-24-08, 12:29 PM
Fat Guy Rolling

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Jr
C'mon, a few of these babies and 13 blinkies and you might get mistaken for a UFO. "It was flying low, and going too fast to be anything from this planet," the locals might say. That alone is enough to justify it, right?

Really, it's the price that gets me. If it makes you feel better and more safe, great, it's good for you. But I'm upset if I have to pay more than $40 for new headlights on my automobile. I know I'm going to fork out more for a quality self-reliant system on my bike, but over 10 times more and costing almost as much as my rig itself? I'm just not that fiscally liberated.
You can replace the bulb for $40 on your car. What about the whole light assembly? The battery? Then compare prices.
Old 09-24-08, 12:45 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
I'm pretty sure though, that if you were to ride a few months with 5/6/700 lumens your definition of need would likely change.
I rode for a few years with a max of 350 lumens and my definition of "need" didn't change until I moved to the top of a 2.25 mile, 650' tall hill and I was riding my brakes to keep from outrunning* my light. I'm not sure what the lumens equivalent for the 60 lux spot rating on the E3 turns out to be. I'm interested to try out the upcoming E3 focused beam lamp (similar to the SON Edelux). I just hope that there isn't a 4 month waiting period to get one (like the Edelux).

*Not that I can literally ride faster than the speed of light , but rather that my the throw distance of my light wasn't enough to give me significant reaction time at the speeds (45mph +) I can hit on that hill.
Old 09-24-08, 01:11 PM
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Jr
But I'm upset if I have to pay more than $40 for new headlights on my automobile. I know I'm going to fork out more for a quality self-reliant system on my bike, but over 10 times more and costing almost as much as my rig itself? I'm just not that fiscally liberated.
Price the housing the next time you're at the dealer, or a wiring harness.

eh... beat me to it.
Old 09-24-08, 01:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, sorry to get off topic but you P7 guys have gotten me thinking about lummen-per-$ and those flashlights do seem to have some pretty impressive #'s.

How the heck to you pick from the 60 p7 lights they have on DX? I was originally thinking of a Dinotte 600L or a 400L when they were having their gift certificate sale, but now that thats off, spending $3-400 on a light seems too much for my needs.

If I get two P7's or maybe a P7 and a Cree, which are good choices? I was thinking the P7 for a flood, and a Cree for a spot..... help, this stuff makes me dizzy.
Old 09-24-08, 01:26 PM

Bikes: '02 Trek 4900 '08 Specialized Crosstrail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcrowell
You can replace the bulb for $40 on your car. What about the whole light assembly? The battery? Then compare prices.
Touche, mine was a bad comparison. What it comes down to is that I can get something that is able to do a very good job lighting my way for far cheaper than this.

And I wanted to say that UFO thing.
Old 09-24-08, 01:29 PM
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I think you guys are minimizing the danger posed by killer bees
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 09-24-08, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Old school stuff:
4 sealed beam headlights-$32
group 27 battery-$55
light switch-$14
wiring harness-$32

You can change the whole lighting system on a car to HID,including ballasts,for about what that light cost,including the battery and light switch.

Nice light,WAAAAY overpriced.

Last edited by Booger1; 09-24-08 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-24-08, 01:41 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Langster Comp, 2005 Schwinn DBX Super Sport, 2004 Trek 5900 Superlight

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
40+ mph descents in heavy traffic at 6 AM? I dunno. I've got at least four of them on my route. The problem is, I don't think my light is brighter than some drivers are clueless. I'd rather they think the mothership is coming to take them away. At least then they might think twice about pulling out in front of me. Hey, that gives me an idea - I think I'm going to look around for a green laser for my helmet.

FWiW, I'm using the TriNewt now and while it lights up the foreground really well, I miss the loaner HID I gave back to the LBS manager. For me the TriNewt just doesn't have enough throw. I was also hoping it would be that groovy purply-bluish-white color that the HID was. I'll have to find out what temperature that bulb was.
Old 09-24-08, 01:45 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Langster Comp, 2005 Schwinn DBX Super Sport, 2004 Trek 5900 Superlight

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vik
We don't really need a billion lumen bike light from Dinotte or anyone else. What we need is a focused optic system that puts all the light we have where we need it - down on the road. I have a couple Dinotte 200L-AA's and they are nice lights, but the unfocused optics mean I'm shooting a lot of light up into the sky and the eyes of passing motorists/cyclists. The B&M IQ Fly is one of the Euro lights with a focused optic that makes the most of the light put out by the LED.
I have a 1/2-watt single LED with a very focused beam on my road bike. I'm not a big fan. The experience is like tunnel vision and quite unnerving. It took me a while to figure out why I was only averaging 15-16 mph on my morning fun rides.
Old 09-24-08, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you purchase the highest end light a particular manufacturer makes you will pay a premium. Just like just about everything else... especially audio visual equipment.
The 400L is more my speed and cost.
Old 09-24-08, 01:49 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nmanhipot
40+ mph descents in heavy traffic at 6 AM? I dunno. I've got at least four of them on my route.
I've got 2 of them on mine, and that's why I switched from my L&M Solo to the E3; but the E3 is rated in lux as opposed to lumens. I don't know that it's much brighter (overall), but the optics are better and the spot portion of the beam is better concentrated giving me a longer throw.
Old 09-24-08, 04:51 PM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nmanhipot
I have a 1/2-watt single LED with a very focused beam on my road bike. I'm not a big fan. The experience is like tunnel vision and quite unnerving. It took me a while to figure out why I was only averaging 15-16 mph on my morning fun rides.
The options aren't a 800 lumen wide as heck spot or a 1/2W LED tight as a pin prick....the point of a focused optic is to put light where it's needed. This can be tuned to ensure you get enough in the right places. A 200 lumen Dinotte with a focused optic would be a much more useful light than a 400 lumen unfocused light...not to mention the savings in battery power or longer run times. Projecting light down the road is what will let you ride faster...lighting up the trees doesn't buy you anything.
Old 09-24-08, 05:15 PM
Some Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im really surprised by how many people are up-in-arms over the price vs. output of this light. Its only $40 more than the 600l, and there wasnt nearly as much griping about how 'overpriced' it was. Its especially interesting when you compare the 800l to lights such as the Seca 700 which is 700 lumens and costs $550-650(depending on the battery capacity), or compared to the Wilma 6 Race which has two batteries (as does the 800l) and 830 lumens for $850! Now that seems overpriced, unless there is something significant I am missing that is somehow worth an additional $410 on the Wilma 6 Race... Now that is overpriced, more than $1 per lumen!

So compared to what else is out there that you can buy off the shelf it seems like a sweet deal, or am I missing something...

Last edited by russ3706; 09-24-08 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-24-08, 05:46 PM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oakback
If I converted candlepower to lumens correctly, I could get just under 160,000 lumens with $40. No wires to run to a battery pack, quick charging, and doubles as a self-defense weapon. I'm sure I could come up with a simple mounting solution.

I had one of those mounted in the basket of my XO-3. It was absolutely ****ing insane.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 09-24-08, 06:05 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,724 Times in 2,541 Posts
I think the killer bee argument has swayed me, now to convince the wife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.