Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Restore with vintage parts or modernize?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Restore with vintage parts or modernize?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-24, 08:39 AM
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked 1,278 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
What the op is trying to do in today’s market is not wise if you seek profit. I don’t think that when you bought the bikes you mentioned , you intended to make money. .
Well, right, the buy and hold thing is key and it's hard to tell in advance what will be perceived as "valuable" years down the road. You are correct, one cannot buy with the idea that "this is going to be an investment."

I'd say the same thing about cars or even real estate. There are classified ads from the 1970s offering a V-12 Ferrari for 5-6000 bucks, cars worth a million today. But it's pretty hard to imagine buying on at today's appreciated price and then expecting that rate of return to continue.

And as you say, the current market is in a slump. Will it recover ? hard to say.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 02-11-24, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 2,311 Times in 1,292 Posts
Yea , I drove my 1957 356A T-1 beehive coupe for 26 years, and sold it for way more than ten times what I paid . Did I make money? Who knows after all the time and money I put in that little car! It was fun to drive though.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-11-24, 11:34 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage, Specialized Allez Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K

I completely agree with what others have said about this being a money losing venture, though. I would really love to find people who would be willing to buy bikes like these for what it costs me to build them. I'd be building one every month. Sadly, it's not in the cards. I suspect the same thing is true with resto-mod cars. Those give you the illusion that there's money to be made because you see people selling tricked out muscle cars for more than $50,000. But read any sale ad and you'll find the seller admitting that they spent almost twice what they're asking to get it like that.
These bikes are beautiful and make me very excited to have the opportunity to make something similar.

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Generally speaking, no, but after reading the above, I'll need to see pics before final judgment.
I'll post pics once I have enough legitimate posts to prove bikeforum I am not a bot or bad actor.

Overall, reading through the comments to my original post did make me experience some regret for committing to buying more framesets for bikes that are middle of the road in quality, but I derive an incredible amount of pleasure from seeing something that is not rideable become something that people can enjoy. And I think with making some prudent decisions about sourcing parts that i might be able to come close to breaking even every once in a while and supplement the profit losing projects with more profitable ones. I got the idea in my head that I could turn older bikes around for a small profit because people, who couldn't repair their bikes, started giving me their old road bikes. For example, a friend gave me their old Schwinn Traveller that had been collecting dust in their bike room and that had always caused them problems. All it really needed was new bottom bracket bearings and a new friction shifter, as well as cables and housing and some tap for the handle bars. For $30 I had a bike that I could reasonably sell for $200. The same is true for an old Motobecane that I got for $60 and sold for $220 after servicing the bottom bracket, cleaning up the groupset and replacing brakepads, cables and housings.

I have built a little reputation in my small community and now just got my first "commission" I suppose: another friend gave me an old Bianchi frameset that they got and intended to build up but never got around to. They're instructions to me were "I'll buy the parts and you make it so I can ride it" and that was a good feeling.

Regarding keeping things vintage and modernizing components I think that for my next projects I will split the difference. I am getting three Super Mirage framesets. One I think I will modernize and turn into an art piece at great expense, and the other two keep classic.

Thanks for all the comments. Its my first time.
Likes For eldercycling:
Old 02-11-24, 11:39 AM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
I use BBs from ROI regularly to put modern cranksets on old Swiss or French threaded bikes. It's an upgrade, and I say rock on!
I got the same bottom bracket and it worked great. For my next projects I want to get a bottom brakcet with a square taper spindle, mainly so that I am not locked into either GxP or the Hollowtech systems. IRD has something that seems like it would work. I would post the link but I am still a newbie so I can't post links but you they are called "IRD Bottom Bracket Conversion Cups Pair" that work with their QB-55 bottom bracket. I am not sure it will be compatible as IRD seems to mainly make MTB parts but I think that I will give it a try. Velo orange has some deceptive bottom brackets that I thought would work but like I said, the bikes I have been working on are swiss threaded and the french bottom bracket on velo orange had the wrong threading.
Old 02-11-24, 11:47 AM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Yes, precessional loosening is an issue with French and Italian thread bottom brackets. That's why English and Swiss thread bottom brackets use a left-hand thread (counter-clockwise to tighten) on the drive side. It helps to use professional quality tools (e.g. Campagnolo #793/A, VAR #30, Hozan C-358) when installing French or Italian thread fixed cups, and some thread adhesive on the threads.
Even with swiss bottom brackets, having the tools that you posted pictures of is important. When it came to removing the driveside cup on my Motobecane, I had to take it to a bike shop that had a fixed cup tool that passes through the shell and tightens down. The funny thing was that they unscrewed it and then told me it was french threaded (right hand threads on both sides) but when it came time to install a new bottom bracket, I discovered that it was left hand threaded on the drive side. The bike mechanic must have worked on instinct and then looked at the "Made in France" logo on the bike and figured it was a french bottom bracket, DESPITE loosening the cup by twisting it clockwise.

It was a learning experience for me and the bike mechanics were very helpful afterwards.
Old 02-11-24, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1584 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 985 Posts
Aside from French BB and headsets/stems, another thing to watch out for is the Huret or Simplex style rear drop-outs. These are not compatible with the typical Shimano and Campagnolo rear derailleurs.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-11-24, 12:47 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Aside from French BB and headsets/stems, another thing to watch out for is the Huret or Simplex style rear drop-outs. These are not compatible with the typical Shimano and Campagnolo rear derailleurs.
Is there a way of modifying the dropouts to use shimano deraileurs? I did a little googling but I am at a little bit of a loss where to start. It seems that the shimano need a tapped hole to thread into for mounting where the simplex is fixed into the dropout?
Old 02-11-24, 12:56 PM

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 1,657 Times in 1,063 Posts
There are a few things that can really make a difference when resurrecting an old bike. I kind of go for the "make ride-able again classification", and not Restoration. That means replacing with what ever I have on hand things that are broken. As far as making the bike lighter in weight I change out solid steel seat posts and of course go for aluminum wheel sets. I also commonly replace steel stems and bars and cottered cranks. So what do I keep? The frame, brakes, shifters, derailleurs, and some times the pedals. Do note that the first priority is to get the bike rid-able. Of course this is just a way and not the way.

Doing an old bicycle "Restoration", that's a whole nuther bailiwick...

Originally Posted by eldercycling
...Ultimately I will sell the completed bikes and need to make my money back but I am not interested in making much of a profit if any...
Well everyone knows your supposed ta fix um up and keep um... Right?
Old 02-11-24, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1584 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 985 Posts
Is there a way of modifying the dropouts to use shimano deraileurs? I did a little googling but I am at a little bit of a loss where to start. It seems that the shimano need a tapped hole to thread into for mounting where the simplex is fixed into the dropout?
Also the Shimano/Campy RD's need a notch for the B-screw to push against. There are ways to convert these hangers, some elegant, some not. Show a picture of what you have.
Old 02-11-24, 01:07 PM

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked 1,623 Times in 750 Posts
To modify the RD hangar, you tap the existing hole and hand file a notch. Lots of details on the net.

This mod allowed me to use an excellent SunTour RD and ditch the heroic freewheel gearing.
Old 02-11-24, 01:08 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Well everyone knows your supposed ta fix um up and keep um... Right?
​​​​​​
Perhaps my perspective is unique but my main interest has been (besides the joy of fixing things) getting bikes back into the hands of people who can enjoy them. I don't need 20 bikes, but space is a premium in a one bedroom apartment. I might have a different perspective when I have a garage.
Likes For eldercycling:
Old 02-11-24, 03:53 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3608 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 1,952 Posts
Yes, you need to tap 10mm x 1mm threads, and depending on which version of Simplex dropout you have, you may need to file a stop for the upper derailleur pivot at about the 7 o'clock position.
Old 02-11-24, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Cool to see those new style bb on the Peugeot work.