Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Stop creating "Fail" threads

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Stop creating "Fail" threads

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 06:20 PM
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this forum blows. too bad i don't have anywhere else to go.
Old 04-20-10, 06:28 PM
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by PedallingATX
Maybe this forum might be more to your liking >>>> https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?199-Foo
Old 04-20-10, 06:37 PM
%#&*#%>?%

Bikes: Pake,Shogun,Nishiki,Motobecane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 04-20-10, 06:58 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Not familiar with that one. Video link?
Transcript. It's the best I could do.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-20-10, 07:06 PM
Excellant Spellur

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Stumpy XC Pro, 1993 Specialized Stumpy, 2008 GTR Pro, 2009 Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has certainly gone downhill of late.
Old 04-20-10, 07:08 PM
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Transcript. It's the best I could do.
Oh, that means I have to use my mind video player like when I read word books.

Last edited by carleton; 04-20-10 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 07:19 PM
Elitist

Originally Posted by Aged Bike Fixer
It has certainly gone downhill of late.
Guys, being a moderator, albeit not hard...it is harder than it seems. I want everyone to have fun and not feel censored or whatnot.

There are so many different people with different personalities, senses of humor, pet peeves, thresholds, and all of that. With so many people expressing themselves there WILL undoubtedly be conflicts of opinion of what's wrong, right, fair, unfair, fun, and not fun.

I'm not sure if this forum is *supposed* to be fun. It is, sometimes. But, I'm not sure if that's the expressed intent. Is SSFG or BF in general here to entertain you?

That's a rhetorical question. I don't know the answer. I know that some people find entertainment in the fortunes and mis-fortunes of others.
Old 04-20-10, 07:38 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Ok, we've gone over this before in the past and I know for certain that I have warned you guys that if there was any other flair ups in the original thread that it would get the ax. Also let it be known that we do let a bunch of stuff slide. so please keep that in mind when we do actually lock down a thread or have to take action on something, that we are doing that for a reason. That reason being either one of the mods here noticed something or the thread has had plenty of warnings in it or a thread was reported. In this case the thread in question was temporarily locked in the past, and it went back to being just as acidic, so this time it's locked permanently.

Also let it be known, any fail threads that are created from here on out will be deleted.
Old 04-20-10, 08:07 PM
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i don't post fail threads so i feel justified in echoing the "i don't have anywhere else to go" statements. tarckbear forums hates me.
Old 04-20-10, 08:29 PM
Elitist

Originally Posted by cc700
i don't post fail threads so i feel justified in echoing the "i don't have anywhere else to go" statements. tarckbear forums hates me.
You guys can always go here. I heard those forums are also pretty cool.

You guys share more in common with folks in other forums than you think. Take a stroll through some of those subforums and I guarantee you that you will find a thread where you can contribute, help someone out, or learn something yourself. Even before becoming a moderator, I'd occasionally participate in Track, Road, Clydesdale, & Mechanics.

Remember, FG bikes are the gateway drug to cycling
Old 04-20-10, 08:44 PM
Pedantic Antics

Bikes: 1 30-speed Ultegra Road, 1 43/16 Fixed, 1 47/15 Fixed, 1 Converted Beach Cruiser to Pennyfakething

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The mods here are actually super lax compared to some other places. The fact that everyone who posted in the "mods...please" thread isn't banned already is a testament to that. Closing a few whiny fail threads is like... meh ...in comparison.

Still, it would be nice to have a place to vent about fail bikes. Subforum with an NSFW (Not Safe For Whiners) flag? :thumbsup:
Old 04-20-10, 09:12 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

You guys share more in common with folks in other forums than you think. Take a stroll through some of those subforums and I guarantee you that you will find a thread where you can contribute, help someone out, or learn something yourself. Even before becoming a moderator, I'd occasionally participate in Track, Road, Clydesdale, & Mechanics.

For me it's the other way around. I'm the out-of-towner in this forum. I have a SS bike, but most of my miles are commuting on my hybrid. Aside from the SS and hybrid, I have four other daily riders, all of which are C&V. There does seem to be a bit of a wall around this forum, but honestly I think it's a wall you guys build around yourselves sometimes. I think carleton is right- get out once in a while. I think you may find that hipster FG riders aren't so different than most riders. Except for the road racers. Just.... don't go there.

Old 04-20-10, 09:59 PM
Yo!

Bikes: Panasonic NJS Keirin x2, Level Professional, Bianchi CUSS, GT Pulse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Mehhhh I was riding a long time before I started on fg. But I will admit since being on FG I've definitely gotten more serious ab the sport as a whole.
Old 04-20-10, 10:10 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts

I think I was 3 when I got my first tricycle and it was not long until I moved on to harder drugs like my CCM Mustang and then discovered road cycling, mountain biking, and came back around to fixed gears at a fairly late age.
Old 04-20-10, 10:25 PM
Pedantic Antics

Bikes: 1 30-speed Ultegra Road, 1 43/16 Fixed, 1 47/15 Fixed, 1 Converted Beach Cruiser to Pennyfakething

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My gateway drug was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Huffy. It was a single speed with coaster breaks, and had a way cool top tube pad.
Old 04-21-10, 01:35 AM
death from your left

Bikes: scott CR1 rase rig, special__ed langster commuter masheen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this thread sucks, or rather, fails... I'm tempted to start a new thread who's topic is this threads failure
Old 04-21-10, 02:04 AM
Elitist

Originally Posted by F4UX3/2
this thread sucks, or rather, fails... I'm tempted to start a new thread who's topic is this threads failure
You should try to make it witty or edgy or something, too. Maybe ironicly witty with some angst thrown in there for color.
Old 04-21-10, 03:37 AM

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
god forbid someone gets their feelings hurt.

is anyone here a cyclist? the sport is 50% spinning legs, 50% judging everyone else on two wheels based on material possession. it would be like a nascar forum where nobody is allowed to discuss crashes because people get hurt in them.

next thing you know a new rule will be put up where anyone posting a picture of themselves riding a bike without a helmet will get an infraction because it's not safe. anyone posting a picture of a bike without reflectors will be banned in 24 hrs if they don't prove that the reflectors have been replaced and work to provide improved visibility to others.

sorry if this is a bit random, I didn't have anyone here to hold my hand and walk me through the posting process. the internet is scary!
Old 04-21-10, 04:36 AM
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by LupinIII
is anyone here a cyclist? the sport is 50% spinning legs, 50% judging everyone else on two wheels based on material possession.
And in parts of Africa female circumcision has been practiced for even longer than cycling in Europe. Certainly a practice with such a long tradition should be continued, no matter how morally repugnant, no?

After all, it's so much better to spend considerable chunks of your life concerned about other people's possessions, than to enjoy it. Living your own life would be such a bad thing, because it would be awesome.
Old 04-21-10, 05:57 AM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

+

=

Old 04-21-10, 06:13 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mods, have you noticed the fail threads in the other subforums? Numbskull of the day in c+v, etc? They are all fine places to hang around making fun of stupid ****, and everyone has a good time. I therefore suggest to you that the problems in the ssfg fail thread comes not from the inherent nature of fail threads, but from the users of this forum. Someone might then say on this basis the real fail here is on the part of the users. But I think that in this case it is you, the bikeforums mods, who have truly failed.
Old 04-21-10, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mander
Mods, have you noticed the fail threads in the other subforums? Numbskull of the day in c+v, etc? They are all fine places to hang around making fun of stupid ****, and everyone has a good time. I therefore suggest to you that the problems in the ssfg fail thread comes not from the inherent nature of fail threads, but from the users of this forum. Someone might then say on this basis the real fail here is on the part of the users. But I think that in this case it is you, the bikeforums mods, who have truly failed.
Get your hands off our threads you dirty stinking mods!
Old 04-21-10, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't the thread get closed down when someone accused the other of not having street cred because he didn't live in a big city and then the guy without street crd, or sans street-cred if you will, responded by saying he did in fact have street cred because he goes to a reasonably large city sometimes where he rides with friends. THEN the other guy again told sans street-cred that he didn't have enough street cred and to avoid being repetitive he added that sans street-cred would not know what to do if someone pulled a gun on him.

I'm not sure why this means the jackass thread had to be shut down, though. I mean I guess it wasn't the friendliest part of the forum but it was a lot of fun. I don't think anyone really walked off with hurt feelings and I don't think anyone was harmed.
I can't believe a bizarre argument between two people could get a thread shut down.
And I also believe that we're gonna see spillage into other threads. I sometimes find it very hard, not to tell people they are complete idiots. I mean, remember the guy who couldn;t get his bike to fit, no matter what, and thought he needed a bigger frame, and then we find out he's running it with his bars higher than his seat and his seat all the way in the forward position? It's pretty hard to resist abusing someone like that. I think he must have been a troll. I'm pretty sure I made fun of him beyond what is typically appropriate for this forum. And he wouldn't take any of our advice!
If anything the jackass forum allowed me a little space to vent, or even to watch others vent at the crap I see every day that makes me wonder how stupid these people really are.

/Have lived in many major cities the world over and the only place I've ever had a gun pulled on me was in the Ocala National Forest. Forests have street cred.
Old 04-21-10, 07:21 AM
You gonna eat that?

Originally Posted by F4UX3/2
I already did that... had second thoughts, changed the OP and it still got shut down already. You're way behind the curve, son.

Originally Posted by robertv
/Have lived in many major cities the world over and the only place I've ever had a gun pulled on me was in the Ocala National Forest. Forests have street cred.

Old 04-21-10, 07:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robertv
Have lived in many major cities the world over and the only place I've ever had a gun pulled on me was in the Ocala National Forest. Forests have street cred.
Oh dude. I've been to Ocala National Forest. That place is rough. Never seen so much camouflage in my life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.