Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

NY Times article on commuters dressing for work

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

NY Times article on commuters dressing for work

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-17, 04:47 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
How many would go and buy new outfit in that situation?
I've never had to buy a new outfit, but I have run over to Macy's and bought underwear and a belt on different occasions.
Old 10-10-17, 09:26 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,497 Times in 1,449 Posts
I have a pair of dress trousers at work. One day I rode to work and had forgotten I had brought those pants home so I went around work pantsless. It was like a dream!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-11-17, 08:42 AM

Bikes: 2007 Kona Caldera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Get an e-bike... no more sweat.
I would love one, as long as someone else is buying
Old 10-11-17, 06:38 PM

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
A difference of 10° F is nine fifths the difference in Centigrade, as you already know 5.6°C

Your question made me wonder, maybe for the first time, why on earth Fahrenheit normalized his scale at 32° for freezing. It turns out that he just used the earlier Roemer scale, which was based on an alcohol thermometer, and multiplied everything by four, later adjusted by a couple of degrees for a more accurate mixture of ice water. So, basically arbitrary and almost random.

We like it better though. Zero is terribly cold and 100 is uncomfortably hot, it works pretty well for that, more of a metric scale than Centigrade from that perspective.

Not really random. As you note, 100 is a very high temp an 0 very low. In fact, it's based on the highest and lowest normal European temps and very useful as a human temperature scale. Who really cares where water boils or freezes and, in any event, those actual number depends on many factors such as air pressure and dissolved minerals. And you can't divide or multiply temps so the "metric" thing is mostly irrelevant.
Old 10-11-17, 07:26 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac
Not really random. As you note, 100 is a very high temp an 0 very low. In fact, it's based on the highest and lowest normal European temps and very useful as a human temperature scale.
According to my brief research, F thought that 100 was the highest we could stand without suffering heat stroke

Who really cares where water boils or freezes and, in any event, those actual number depends on many factors such as air pressure and dissolved minerals. And you can't divide or multiply temps so the "metric" thing is mostly irrelevant.
I was just needling acidfast7 about the "metric logic" of the Fahrenheit scale. But keep talking like that and you'll wind up using slugs and BTU and other weird units. As opposed to the simple clarity of needing 1 calorie to raise the temperature of 1 cubic centimeter of water (which weighs 1 gram) by 1 degree.
Old 10-11-17, 10:40 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
The problem with a calorie is that it's got no relation to a joule.

The kilogram is the only unit left with a physical reference. Look into it if you're interested in this sort of thing, Wired did a story a few years ago
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-12-17, 05:50 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Since we're talking units...

...I cannot grasp the ounce. Especially in cooking, where the unit is used for both mass and volume. In the kitchen with my wife, and she barks, "quick, bring me 4 ounces of mushrooms" I know that these must be a checked with the scale. Okay.

But if she says, "bring me 8 ounces of dry rice"...uh, oh. "Um, Honey, would you like 3/4 of a cup of rice? Or should I weigh out what you need?" She looks at me like I'm brain dead.

Why is this?

Oh, and I have special clothing that I use for my bike commuting. Not all was designed for bicyclists, but each piece is chosen to do its specific job. I do not wear my bicycling clothing when I work. Neither do I wear my commuting clothes when I'm not on the bike, but only when I ride. This keeps things simpler. And, I have the benefit of wearing exactly what works for the planned ride and its weather conditions. But it's taken me decades to accumulate each piece, things like arm warmers, wool socks, windproof mittens, nylon/spandex headbands, a proper fitting rain jacket, a correct base layer - these all have taken years of trial and error to get just right.

Could street clothes do as good of a job for me? I'd be really astonished if that were the case...but, that's just me.
Old 10-12-17, 06:22 AM

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
How many would go and buy new outfit in that situation?
I have done similar, I had to do some work on Portland OR, I was out of Sacramento CA. As I arrived in Portland I suddenly realized that I had all my work related equipment; but no clothing except what I was wearing. Stupid things happen

As far as commuting goes, I just wear my work clothing on my commute; but then, it is just a couple of miles. On the way to work I use the "e" in e-bike a bit more than I do going home. . . yes, I know, an e-bike . . . some here will say that I should drive instead; however, I choose not to.
Old 10-12-17, 10:28 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The kilogram is the only unit left with a physical reference. Look into it if you're interested in this sort of thing, Wired did a story a few years ago
The meter is 1/10,000,000 of the distance from the north pole to the equator through Paris, minus 0.2mm; I know it's been redefined in relation to the speed of light but the official reference meter of platinum alloy has not been changed.

edit: that 0.2mm jams another 2 km into the distance from equator to north pole so is a nontrivial change to the definition...
Old 10-12-17, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Get an e-bike... no more sweat.
But then you're not really riding a bike.
Old 10-12-17, 11:18 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,544 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
But then you're not really riding a bike.
So?
Old 10-12-17, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
So?
So, get a car, ride the bus, take the subway, take Uber, etc. Lots of great alternatives that don't involve much sweating.
Old 10-12-17, 04:34 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I was just needling acidfast7 about the "metric logic" of the Fahrenheit scale. But keep talking like that and you'll wind up using slugs and BTU and other weird units. As opposed to the simple clarity of needing 1 calorie to raise the temperature of 1 cubic centimeter of water (which weighs 1 gram) by 1 degree.

Needling is good and I am thrilled to know exactly how many calories I need to buy the next time I warm up my 250cc cup of coffee. Helpful!
Old 10-12-17, 07:04 PM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Must be Snarky Thursday today.
Old 10-22-17, 12:39 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Now it's rolled around to snarky Sunday. I was driven by curiosity to learn a bit more about calories and discovered that it is not actually an official metric measurement. That's the joule. Here's a bit of what Wikipedia has to say:

"Although these units (i.e. calories) relate to the metric system, all of them have been considered obsolete in science since the adoption of the SI system.[3] The unit of energy in the International System of Units is the joule. One small calorie is approximately 4.2 joules (so one large calorie is about 4.2 kilojoules). The factor used to convert calories to joules at a given temperature is numerically equivalent to the specific heat capacity of water expressed in joules per kelvin per gram or per kilogram. The precise conversion factor depends on the definition adopted."

I don't remember why we were talking about this and don't expect that anyone cares but am driven to share my enlightenment.

Last edited by asmac; 10-22-17 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-28-17, 08:46 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I like riding fast. I use my commute as a daily workout. One does not need to do this, but I just like it. I used to ride in regular clothes, but now I wear cycling clothes. At work, I like to say I'm changing from my Superman costume to my Clark Kent costume.

This winter, I'm not sure what I'll do. I'll see as time and weather progress.
Same here, I like to ride fast, push myself. According to Garmin Insight, all age group included, I ride faster than 78% of the men that wear Garmin gears while cycling. Luckily for me, I have access to the server room where I cool down once I get to work. My cycling clothes are then hung behind my office door where a fan dries them. Quick drying prevent them from stenching.

Edit: Like mentioned in the article, I don't wear a back bag but a rear rack so my back isn't a sweating mess.

Last edited by SylvainG; 10-28-17 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-29-17, 10:04 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,497 Times in 1,449 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
Like mentioned in the article, I don't wear a back bag but a rear rack so my back isn't a sweating mess.
My normal commuting bike has a front rack, and I use panniers with it. I like to ride a lightweight racing bike sometimes, so a cycling backpack works well. There are two reasons: keeping the bike light, and putting the cargo weight on the body keeps the bike's handling light, since it becomes sprung weight.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-29-17, 01:20 PM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I have a pair of dress trousers at work. One day I rode to work and had forgotten I had brought those pants home so I went around work pantsless. It was like a dream!
I've seen that