Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

3 week old Domane sl4 has bad shuddering when going over 13mph

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

3 week old Domane sl4 has bad shuddering when going over 13mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-21, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Being well out of radial true (a big hop) would definitely cause the shake when riding, but that should be obvious (right?) and wouldn't show up with the bike in the air.

I don't think a trek dealer would say that wheels on new bikes are ok if they were visibly out of true or they wouldn't be in business long, but I could be wrong about that.

Last edited by himespau; 06-11-21 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-11-21, 02:43 AM
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Being well out of lateral true (a big hop) would definitely cause the shake when riding, but that should be obvious (right?) and wouldn't show up with the bike in the air.

I don't think a trek dealer would say that wheels on new bikes are ok if they were visibly out of true or they wouldn't be in business long, but I could be wrong about that.
Lateral here refers to the dimension along the wheel axis, right? As in, if you stand in front of the bike, lift it, and spin the wheel, the edge of the wheel will oscillate left and right?

That is not even an issue with the generic wheels (with a Bontrager AT-750 label) on my cheap Trek FX 2 hybrid (<$500 including tax pre-pandemic), so I also doubt that would be an issue on a Domane SL4. But one cannot be sure unless one tries a different wheel.
Old 06-11-21, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Lateral here refers to the dimension along the wheel axis, right? As in, if you stand in front of the bike, lift it, and spin the wheel, the edge of the wheel will oscillate left and right?

That is not even an issue with the generic wheels (with a Bontrager AT-750 label) on my cheap Trek FX 2 hybrid (<$500 including tax pre-pandemic), so I also doubt that would be an issue on a Domane SL4. But one cannot be sure unless one tries a different wheel.
Sorry, I meant radial, not lateral. I'll go back and fix that. if part of the wheel was wider than the rest, it'd bump like that, but no wheel should ever leave a shop doing that. You're right, lateral is side to side motion.
Old 06-11-21, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Generally a laterally (side to side) out-of-true wheel is difficult or impossible to feel while riding. If a tire has a damaged casing or is not seated properly you can feel that right away.

OP needs to arrange for a shop employee to come out on a test ride with them so they can see what could be the problem. All the guessing and hand waving we are doing here is meaningless because we have not seen the problem first hand.
Old 06-11-21, 07:22 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
OP needs to arrange for a shop employee to come out on a test ride with them so they can see what could be the problem. All the guessing and hand waving we are doing here is meaningless because we have not seen the problem first hand.
This, or I wonder if the issue might be felt/heard(?) if the shop has an older school wheel on drum trainer the bike could be thrown on?
Old 06-12-21, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I am waiting for resolution, my tip is radial imbalance cause by an issue in tube or tire. Perhaps during tube manufacture, a little mouse got trapped in the tube and it went undetected until the tube was part of a bike that was sold to OP here.

You know, sort of like a cockroach baked into a loaf of bread or a surgical instrument left behind in your body, its not unheard of.

But I don't know if the tire might be tubeless and the imbalance is caused by that liquid you are supposed to put inside your tire to take care of punctures. Can't that liquid gather in the tire low spot (like when the bike is stored for a while) and 'solidify' there? I am almost sure that those with knowledge of these things will tell me, that can't happen. Also this bike model is likely sold with clincher tires as standard.

As it was pointed to me that bikes are tested, ridden but I still imagine that it depends on what bike outlet you talk about. I can well see that a bike dealer can't allow any employee to test ride a bike outside their parking lot (insurance risks), if even that. Or if they reach any higher speeds as this case seems to demand.
I imagine bikes are ride tested for shifting, braking, maybe short sprint to see if there is some creaking indicating lose bolts or whatever, but doubt that any speeds that would seem to be needed here are normally achieved in such tests.

Last edited by vane171; 06-12-21 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-12-21, 08:06 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171

You know, sort of like a cockroach baked into a loaf of bread or a surgical instrument left behind in your body, its not unheard of.
A dried-up glob of Slime sealant would have a similar effect.