Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another Touring Project - 84 Trek 520

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Another Touring Project - 84 Trek 520

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-21, 10:24 PM
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,026 Times in 989 Posts
That is a very nice set of components on that 520! The all silver/polished silver brigade looks right at home on that hawt metallic taupe frame (I say as a taupe Trek owner). The headset change really transformed it, IMO. Those AT cranks never look bad, either.

What are you thinking for the bar tape color? Going to try to match the saddle or go a different color.

My seat tube panel and 531 decals are slated to arrive on Saturday. Then it's cables, chain, tune and ride. We may be done at nearly the same time.
Old 10-06-21, 06:54 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
That is a very nice set of components on that 520! The all silver/polished silver brigade looks right at home on that hawt metallic taupe frame (I say as a taupe Trek owner). The headset change really transformed it, IMO. Those AT cranks never look bad, either.

What are you thinking for the bar tape color? Going to try to match the saddle or go a different color.

My seat tube panel and 531 decals are slated to arrive on Saturday. Then it's cables, chain, tune and ride. We may be done at nearly the same time.
Thank You! This frame color is freaking beautiful and I feel so lucky to have one is such great shape.

I'm equal parts proud and ashamed of all these parts I've had "just laying around". I don't really consider myself a hoarder or a flipper, like I have (sort of) a cap on the N+1 methodology and I don't buy bikes to immediately sell for profit. I just buy a bike, ride it, spruce it up, find something "better" then move on, and things kinda pile up depending on part swaps.

Bar Tape wise, I'm gonna use black Cinelli cork tape for now, because I have some on-hand and I'm not totally sold on what saddle to leave on. The B17 SOMETIMES works for me (comfort wise) but a Brooks Professional ALWAYS works. I've also had good luck with the Cambium C15 and C17 so I need to do some test riding before fully committing.

My brakes just arrived today so I MAY be on the road before the weekend, fingers crossed. I ended up with a nice set of Shimano MC70s so finishing touches should be fairly painless.

Your 720 is coming along nicely and I'm envious of your fender situation! Minus the deflating tire for removal part, but hey small price to pay
Likes For squarenoise:
Old 10-06-21, 07:59 PM
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,026 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by squarenoise
Thank You! This frame color is freaking beautiful and I feel so lucky to have one is such great shape.

I'm equal parts proud and ashamed of all these parts I've had "just laying around". I don't really consider myself a hoarder or a flipper, like I have (sort of) a cap on the N+1 methodology and I don't buy bikes to immediately sell for profit. I just buy a bike, ride it, spruce it up, find something "better" then move on, and things kinda pile up depending on part swaps.

Bar Tape wise, I'm gonna use black Cinelli cork tape for now, because I have some on-hand and I'm not totally sold on what saddle to leave on. The B17 SOMETIMES works for me (comfort wise) but a Brooks Professional ALWAYS works. I've also had good luck with the Cambium C15 and C17 so I need to do some test riding before fully committing.

My brakes just arrived today so I MAY be on the road before the weekend, fingers crossed. I ended up with a nice set of Shimano MC70s so finishing touches should be fairly painless.

Your 720 is coming along nicely and I'm envious of your fender situation! Minus the deflating tire for removal part, but hey small price to pay
You're welcome! Glad you like the color. Sometimes it can be an acquired taste. I get a chuckle out of Trek going, "We're going to have taupe be a color for our bikes--it's a good idea." And then I could imagine the reply being, "Well, what if people think it's boring? Like the color beige got tired?" "Well then, we will put ALL the metallic flake in it! That'll get 'em coming in."

"Riddle, you say you love me. Do you, and will you always?" "Oh, Metallic Paint Effect, I will always love you." "What if I was taupe?" [long, sincere pause] "Even if you were taupe..."

Anyway......

Black bar tape is a can't-lose way to go. Contrasts nicely with the paint and the polished silver. I understand about Brooks saddles. B17s have worked fine for me in the past, but the last year or so, my sitbones have forgotten that they are comfortable. It's bizarre. I'll need to nose the saddle angle up a touch I think. Looks great for photos where it is, haha.

Glad you got some MC70s. Sharp looking units that should match everything else and perform well. Those black dials for adjusting toe can be a little fiddly, but hey, it's cantis!

Yeah, who knew that the front fender/wheel situation would be the trouble spot on a vintage build? Indeed a small price to pay for vani--er, beauty. Thank you for the support. Don't feel bad about parts lying around. I sold a bucket load of many favorite parts late last year, but still kept the "core" favorites--ones I've had for at least 5 years now. Couldn't bring myself to sell them, and of course it's a bunch of old Dura-Ace that has very very slowly begun showing its use. A good thing, right?

Whichever of us get our tourers rolling, direct sunlight will really bring the paint to life. Typical for metallic paints, doubly so for shyly-colored Treks.
Old 10-16-21, 10:39 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Updates: Good news… I picked up a real nice set of Shimano MC70 brakes, with original pads that weren’t worn or dried out, and they worked perfectly for the 700c conversion. Ran all my cables and headed out for some test riding to discover the bad(ish) news… Front rim has a deep/wide gauge on one side, which translates to super annoying pulses while braking. I’m honestly more bummed that I didn’t notice it while installing the tires.

I’ve been wanting to step up my mechanic game lately, so I’m finally taking this opportunity to build my first set of wheels. In the meantime, I figured I’d barrow wheels from another bike to make sure I had everything else dialed in. The closest choice, with the same freewheel, has 38c GravelKings installed. Threw them on and holy cow is it a tight fit. Looks like 35s with no fenders is gonna be the max for this frame.

Some additional good news, with even just the few short rides so far, the bike feels REALLY good overall. Very smooth and stable as you’d expect, but also doesn’t feel like a boat. I’d say I normally have average confidence riding with no hands, but this Trek almost calls to you to sit up and chill.

Perfect biking weather is creeping up here in Tucson so I gotta switch from wrenching to riding mode. It'll probably take me a while to get replacement wheels built up and call this project done, but feeling good about it so far.

Crazy tight up front with 700x38 GravelKings

Also tight in the chainstays

The only spot with acceptable clearance

Likes For squarenoise:
Old 12-18-21, 12:38 PM

Finally sorted out a proper wheelset (Sansin Gyromaster Hubs laced to Ukai Rims, 40H Rear/36H Front), made a few other tweaks, and calling it done (for now).

The B17 saddle wasn't working out so I switched to a C15 and it's much more comfortable.

Also swapped my Sugino AT Cranks (175) for Shimano 600 (170).

And finally, added a front rack/basket for easy bag swaps with my commuter bike.

All in all I'm very happy with how it turned out. It rides great, is super comfortable and the rack/bag system is very handy while not totally killing aesthetics IMO.

Vintage Parts:
• SR Flutted Seatpost
• Shimano RX100 Brake Levers
• Shimano Deore XT Brakes (BR-MC70)
• Shimano 6206 Crankset (50/40/30 Chainrings)
• Shimano Deore DX Derailleurs
• Sachs Aris 7 Speed Freewheel (12-28)
• Sansin Gyromaster Hubs / Ukai Rims (40H Rear/36H Front)
• Specialized Touring Pedals w/ MKS Cage Clips

New Parts:
• Tange Levin CDS Headset
• Nitto Technomic Stem (90mm)
• Fairweather All Road Bar (46mm)
• Rivendell Silver2 Barends
• Brooks C15 Cambium Saddle
• Panaracer Jack Brown Blue Tires (700x33)

Accessories:
• Blackburn Front Rack w/ Wald 137 Basket
• Outer Shell 137 Basket Bag
• Zefal HPX-3 Frame Pump
• Spurcycle Bell
• Elite Inox Water Cage

Old 12-18-21, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Looks nice. So what's left of the original bike? The seatpost?
Old 12-18-21, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hobbiano
Looks nice. So what's left of the original bike? The seatpost?
Haha, Yep! Unless the frame pump clamp counts? But not to worry, all the original parts are being used elsewhere
Likes For squarenoise:
Old 12-19-21, 11:07 AM
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 937 Posts
Nice job! I really dig your choice of the Specialized pedals with the MKS cages and the 6206 crank!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-19-21, 11:38 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by squarenoise
I suffer from matchy matchy syndrome, so replacing just the rear hub would really hurt my brain. Luckily I have 3 decent spare wheelset options... A) Maillard sealed mechanism 36/40 on 27" rims, B) Suntour XCE 36/40 on 27" rims, and C) Sansin sealed system 36/36 on 700c rims. I'll definitely need to buy tires if I stick with 27", but then might need different brakes if I go with 700c.

So far it's cleaning up real nice. Bottom Bracket had petrified grease, but luckily no pitting on the races. Cleaned out the very light rust inside the seat tube and fork and treated with T-9. Making quicker progress than expected!
I have a 1984 610, and got rid of the original Helicomatic pair when I had the bike only two years. My main reason was that the rear ratchet was dead, not ratcheting and slipping, and even good shops were saying they had no idea what to do about it. I finally unloaded them to a gent in the East for the cost of shipping. Now I know there is (still out there?) Bob, I think the Freewheel Whisperer, who is very skilled and reliable. I would probably keep them, today, if the rims are in good condition. One benefit is for touring, if you need to field-replace a drive side rear spoke, you can do it pretty easily, without needing heavy freewheel-removal gear. And now we have pretty nice Paselas and Swift tires, in wire and folding bead variants.

Last edited by Road Fan; 12-19-21 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-19-21, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Nice job! I really dig your choice of the Specialized pedals with the MKS cages and the 6206 crank!
Thanks! I absolutely LOVE this pedal/cage combo! By far the most comfortable setup I've ever had.

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I have a 1984 610, and got rid of the original Helicomatic pair when I had the bike only two years. My main reason was that the rear ratchet was dead, not ratcheting and slipping, and even good shops were saying they had no idea what to do about it. I finally unloaded them to a gent in the East for the cost of shipping. Now I know there is (still out there?) Bob, I think the Freewheel Whisperer, who is very skilled and reliable. I would probably keep them, today, if the rims are in good condition. One benefit is for touring, if you need to field-replace a drive side rear spoke, you can do it pretty easily, without needing heavy freewheel-removal gear. And now we have pretty nice Paselas and Swift tires, in wire and folding bead variants.
I was initially worried about the Helicomatic since parts aren't readily available, but after buying the correct tool I was really impressed at how easy it is to remove. Definite bonus for road side repairs and kinda wish this system had caught on. I'm re-greasing the hubs and plan on keeping the wheels as back ups for my other 27" bikes