Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Car Brain

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-13, 09:00 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I don't remember the numbers, but Donald Shoup has demonstrated that a fairly large amount of gas is used (wasted) by people cruising around as they look for a good parking spot.
Have you ever been in that situation, circling the neighborhood for a parking spot... the most frustrating thing I have ever done. No wonder there's so much road rage.
Old 11-28-13, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I don't remember the numbers, but Donald Shoup has demonstrated that a fairly large amount of gas is used (wasted) by people cruising around as they look for a good parking spot.
My walk to two of my neighborhood grocery stores takes me past several brewpubs/bars/restaurants. My city allows these businesses to operate without providing any parking, so the cars just circle the neighborhood looking for a place to land. I have seen the same cars pass me three times on the same block in spite of the fact that there is an empty parking lot three blocks away next to one of the grocery stores.
Old 11-28-13, 10:01 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,544 Times in 1,051 Posts
This driver was holding up seven or eight other people in order to shorten his own walk to the store by 15 steps. If that isn't smug, I don't know what is.
Ask the motorists backed up following relatively slow cyclist(s) "taking a lane" on a busy 40mph+ road (legal passing not safely possible) that has a little used parallel and adjacent bike lane; better yet a little used parallel and adjacent bike trail.
Old 11-29-13, 07:15 AM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Ask the motorists backed up following relatively slow cyclist(s) "taking a lane" on a busy 40mph+ road (legal passing not safely possible) that has a little used parallel and adjacent bike lane; better yet a little used parallel and adjacent bike trail.
I have never seen that happen, but if I do I will be sure to flag down motorists to ask them what they thought of it. Personally, I will be happy to use a bike lane or path whenever there is one.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-29-13, 10:57 AM
Been Around Awhile

I have never seen that happen, but if I do I will be sure to flag down motorists to ask them what they thought of it. Personally, I will be happy to use a bike lane or path whenever there is one.
I have in Philadelphia on the East River Drive (AKA Kelly Drive). Very narrow traffic lanes, very busy, 40mph, continually winding, no intersections, no traffic lights, no shoulder but a parallel off road paved bike path the entire length. Cyclists in full so-called "kit" arrive (often from the suburbs by car) to "train" on this road.
Old 11-29-13, 03:06 PM
Sophomoric Member

I have in Philadelphia on the East River Drive (AKA Kelly Drive). Very narrow traffic lanes, very busy, 40mph, continually winding, no intersections, no traffic lights, no shoulder but a parallel off road paved bike path the entire length. Cyclists in full so-called "kit" arrive (often from the suburbs by car) to "train" on this road.
Were they breaking a local law or ordinance by training on that twice-named road? Did you flag them down and ask them to please pedal their bikes someplace else? Or is this just something you like to gripe about on the Internet?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-30-13, 01:41 AM
Been Around Awhile

Were they breaking a local law or ordinance by training on that twice-named road? Did you flag them down and ask them to please pedal their bikes someplace else? Or is this just something you like to gripe about on the Internet?
Was the driver breaking a local law or ordinance by holding up seven or eight other people in order to shorten his own walk to the store by 15 steps? If not, what was your gripe on this thread? Or is griping about motorists just something you like to do?
Old 11-30-13, 05:31 PM
Sophomoric Member

Was the driver breaking a local law or ordinance by holding up seven or eight other people in order to shorten his own walk to the store by 15 steps? If not, what was your gripe on this thread? Or is griping about motorists just something you like to do?
Why do the cyclists like to train on the particular road you mentioned? If they're driving there, they must prefer it for some reason over other roads that they could ride on. And they do have a right to use public roads, even if it pisses off motorists (and you).

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-30-13, 06:18 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Some people will do amazingly stupid things to shorten their walk .What I noticed a lot around my area is people parking along the fire route at the local grocery stores just to shorten their walk. It's not only illegal but it also makes is more difficult for other cars to pass because those idiots are blocking part of the lane. I love it when cops show up and start handing out tickets...BTW I completely agree with you about how a lot of "fully kitted" cyclists avoid bike lanes and ride in such a way that it makes it more difficult for cars to pass. That's why I am not a club rider and I don't want to be part of any such groups.
Old 11-30-13, 09:06 PM
Been Around Awhile

Why do the cyclists like to train on the particular road you mentioned? If they're driving there, they must prefer it for some reason over other roads that they could ride on. And they do have a right to use public roads, even if it pisses off motorists (and you).
Why? Probably because they are obnoxious a-holes who like to flaunt it. They are rolling f-yous to everybody else, including other cyclists. If you have never encountered the same, consider yourself lucky.

Partially legal since the City posted the road so that bike riding is illegal during morning and evening rush hours.
Old 12-05-13, 01:39 AM

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
...BTW I completely agree with you about how a lot of "fully kitted" cyclists avoid bike lanes and ride in such a way that it makes it more difficult for cars to pass. That's why I am not a club rider and I don't want to be part of any such groups.
Many times, bike lanes that look fine from the seat of a car and are fine for someone riding 10 mph with 45 mm tires are not safe for someone who is riding 27 mph on 21 mm tires. The same thing goes for lots of narrow shoulders and road edges. Sure, most folks who can ride at speeds above 20 mph tend to ride lots of miles and thus have found the virtues of cycling specific clothing outweigh the prospects of being criticized by the fashion police, but there's more to lane position than being a rolling obscene gesture.

I find it rather sad that so many folks who ride bikes insist that the only way to ride is the way they do it.
Old 12-05-13, 02:25 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
My walk to two of my neighborhood grocery stores takes me past several brewpubs/bars/restaurants. My city allows these businesses to operate without providing any parking, so the cars just circle the neighborhood looking for a place to land. I have seen the same cars pass me three times on the same block in spite of the fact that there is an empty parking lot three blocks away next to one of the grocery stores.
Yeah, in my teens, a wise friend pointed out that it was quicker to park in the boonies and walk a little further than to spend time circling. There is no point in circling unless all the spots are taken.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 12-05-13, 07:17 AM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Artkansas
Yeah, in my teens, a wise friend pointed out that it was quicker to park in the boonies and walk a little further than to spend time circling. There is no point in circling unless all the spots are taken.
And if all the spots are taken, drive home and ride your bike back.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-05-13, 11:34 AM
Been Around Awhile

Many times, bike lanes that look fine from the seat of a car and are fine for someone riding 10 mph with 45 mm tires are not safe for someone who is riding 27 mph on 21 mm tires. The same thing goes for lots of narrow shoulders and road edges.
Yeah, life is a beech, eh? Ya know, even motorists sometimes have to slow down due to road conditions though they would like to drive a lot faster.
Sounds to me that some cyclists might need to reconsider the wisdom of cycling 27mph on 21mm tires if/when the local road conditions make it unsafe, or maybe, shudder, slow down to a safe speed for awhile.
Old 12-05-13, 07:55 PM

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Sounds to me that some cyclists might need to reconsider the wisdom of cycling 27mph on 21mm tires if/when the local road conditions make it unsafe, or maybe, shudder, slow down to a safe speed for awhile.
First you whine because the cyclists are riding too slowly. Then, when some of them take steps to increase their speed, you think they should change equipment, apparently to something you approve of, so that they go slowly again.

Before you obsess over the side path on the road you were referring to, I suggest that their route is unlikely to take them on roads that never require taking the lane. Would you prefer being behind a 10 mph cyclist or a 27 mph cyclist?

Again, I find it sad that some people think there is only one way to cycle.
Old 12-05-13, 10:53 PM
Been Around Awhile

First you whine because the cyclists are riding too slowly.
??
Old 12-06-13, 12:16 AM
Sophomoric Member

First you whine because the cyclists are riding too slowly. Then, when some of them take steps to increase their speed, you think they should change equipment, apparently to something you approve of, so that they go slowly again.

Before you obsess over the side path on the road you were referring to, I suggest that their route is unlikely to take them on roads that never require taking the lane. Would you prefer being behind a 10 mph cyclist or a 27 mph cyclist?

Again, I find it sad that some people think there is only one way to cycle.
I'm sorry if you're sad, but you sound one-sided too, only on the other side of the issue. To the motorist going 55 mph, there really isn't much difference between a cyclist going 10 mph or 27 mph.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-06-13, 12:42 AM
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm sorry if you're sad, but you sound one-sided too, only on the other side of the issue. To the motorist going 55 mph, there really isn't much difference between a cyclist going 10 mph or 27 mph.
And if Sam Whittingham passed them doing 56, they'd be just as mad.

I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 12-06-13, 12:45 AM
Been Around Awhile

To the motorist going 55 mph, there really isn't much difference between a cyclist going 10 mph or 27 mph.
Correct! Even more so to the motorist who cannot go 55mph because that bicyclist is unnecessarily taking a lane and safe passing is not possible.
Old 12-06-13, 12:46 AM

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
First you whine because the cyclists are riding too slowly.
??
Do try to keep up with what you have said.
Old 12-06-13, 12:46 AM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Artkansas
And if Sam Whittingham passed them doing 56, they'd be just as mad.
Who dat?
Old 12-06-13, 12:50 AM
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Who dat?
Sam Whittingham set the the record for going 56.373 miles in an hour. He also had the ultimate speed record of 82.819mph until the Battle Mountain Speed Challenge this year, where they cracked 83mph.

Last edited by Artkansas; 12-06-13 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-06-13, 12:50 AM
Been Around Awhile

Do try to keep up with what you have said.
I know what I said.
See https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post16305719
All cyclists traveling at a speed far below the motorized traffic flow is relatively slow, including you on your 21mm tires at 27mph if on a busy 40mph+ road.
Old 12-06-13, 12:54 AM

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Except that the road in question has a 40 mph speed limit. Thus there is a world of difference between a 27 mph cyclist and a 10 mph cyclist. Besides, the roads are not reserved for the exclusive use of motorists. They were our commons long before bikes and cars were invented and are a shared space where everyone has to wait their turn.

Also, the sad comments relate to the constant harping on what people are wearing, what type of bike they are riding and what their apparent purpose in riding is. What difference does it make whether someone chooses to wear lycra bibs with a chamois and a full-zipper jersey with pockets in the back and ride a 14 pound carbon wonder or whether that same person chooses to ride his thirty year old mountain bike in denim cut-offs and a T-shirt? It's time we stopped Balkanizing the all-too-small cycling community and stopped dissing each other.
Old 12-06-13, 01:05 AM
Been Around Awhile

Also, the sad comments relate to the constant harping on what people are wearing, what type of bike they are riding and what their apparent purpose in riding is. What difference does it make whether someone chooses to wear lycra bibs with a chamois and a full-zipper jersey with pockets in the back and ride a 14 pound carbon wonder or whether that same person chooses to ride his thirty year old mountain bike in denim cut-offs and a T-shirt? It's time we stopped Balkanizing the all-too-small cycling community and stopped dissing each other.
Are you on the wrong BF list? Harping about clothing, equipment, and purpose is seldom found on the LCF list. Maybe if you dig hard enough you might find a post or two like that but hardly enough to get into a sad funk about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.