Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting sandals = cool feet finally

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting sandals = cool feet finally

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-13, 02:50 PM
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
I finally joined the sandals club today as well.

These are the Keen Commuter III's, and they feel great! I think my feet will appreciate them over the next couple of months.
Old 07-08-13, 02:11 PM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I wore mine this morning. 48 degrees... it was a mistake. But this being Oregon, I can wear socks with them tomorrow and I'll be fine.
Old 07-09-13, 08:16 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
My sandals are not as snug as shoes, so I get reduced efficiency, but I don't mind.
Keen Commuters here. I just started wearing them this Spring, having put maybe 350 miles on them. They're nice, as others have said. Tom ^ nailed it, though. There's just a hint of foot movement within the sandal, which annoys me. A bit of slipping over a longish ride can turn into a foot burn. Hasn't happened yet to me, as I'm pretty aware of how my feet feel, and I change the angle of attack, flex when coasting, and vary my stroke to keep the constant repetitive pressure on the foot to a manageable minimum.

Sandals are cool for casual rides. MTB shoes are slightly stiffer and somewhat better. My road shoes (leather Diadoras from the late 80s) are best (for me).
Old 07-09-13, 09:18 AM
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
8th summer commuting with my Lake SPD sandals. They are like a trusted old friend I get to hang out with every year. When I finally break them out I know summer is here. Still going strong, still work great. Nothing better in the rain.
Old 07-09-13, 10:33 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Oh, I don't get that kind of slippage. What I get is basically my feet rattling up and down inside the sandals, not forwards and backwards.

I suspect that too much efficiency leads to fatigue. This is another reason I like combo pedals. I can unclip and then pedal on the uncleated side of my pedals, using alternate positions.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.