Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Help deciding on a hybrid bike (first bike purchase!)

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Help deciding on a hybrid bike (first bike purchase!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 05:33 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle6286
Hmm, well this retailer is offering the Coda Sport for $476 and they're throwing in a free tune up and one year warranty. I didn't know that bigger stores don't offer test rides. I'd love to shop at a local shop and help them out, but saving close to $100 also sounds good Maybe I'll check out both and see what I like best.

Thanks again for your help!
If that retailer isn't local to you, the free tune-up is worthless. And use the dealer locator function on the Jamis site- if that retailer isn't listed, email Jamis to verify that their database is up to date. If the retailer isn't listed, and you decide to go ahead and buy from them to save a bit of cash, you run the risk of the manufacturer warranty not being honored if you need it...
Old 08-09-12, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
If that retailer isn't local to you, the free tune-up is worthless. And use the dealer locator function on the Jamis site- if that retailer isn't listed, email Jamis to verify that their database is up to date. If the retailer isn't listed, and you decide to go ahead and buy from them to save a bit of cash, you run the risk of the manufacturer warranty not being honored if you need it...
I was under the assumption that local bike shops referred to small "mom and pop" shops. The store I found a good deal on for the Coda Sport is Eastern Mountain Sports. It is local to me - about a 10 mile drive. I didn't know whether to refer to this store as a LBS since it's a big name store. Sorry for the noob confusion.

As far as a test ride, I thought I heard or read somewhere that the bigger retailers don't allow customers to test drive the bikes. Not sure why I thought this. Not the case though here, as I called and the employee working said they allow test drives. As I said earlier, I'd love to help out the small guy, but a $100 savings is pretty appetizing, especially since my wife is buying this for me as a grad school graduation gift. Again, sorry for the mix up.

Last edited by kyle6286; 08-09-12 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-09-12, 09:46 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Okay, looks like EMS is in the vein of Sun&Ski, REI, and a couple of others I'm sure I don't recall or haven't heard about. According to their site, not all brands/models are available system wide. If the one closest to you actually stocks Jamis*, then go for it. Take a look at the Allegro from Jamis as well. And the Felt Verza City 3.

Yes, "LBS" does refer to a local store, but chain stores are local as well. What sets them apart from the big box outlets is that the quality of bikes is better, plus they service what they sell. The big box stores don't do any service after the sale, and most won't even help with any fine tuning, adjusting, or tweaking that's usually needed when getting a new bike.

*Had to do a bit of sleuthing, but it appears you must be closest to the EMS in Warwick- which is the only EMS in RI that is in Jamis's dealer database. At the price, it's probably a close out in a too small or large a size...
Old 08-09-12, 10:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Okay, looks like EMS is in the vein of Sun&Ski, REI, and a couple of others I'm sure I don't recall or haven't heard about. According to their site, not all brands/models are available system wide. If the one closest to you actually stocks Jamis*, then go for it. Take a look at the Allegro from Jamis as well. And the Felt Verza City 3.

Yes, "LBS" does refer to a local store, but chain stores are local as well. What sets them apart from the big box outlets is that the quality of bikes is better, plus they service what they sell. The big box stores don't do any service after the sale, and most won't even help with any fine tuning, adjusting, or tweaking that's usually needed when getting a new bike.

*Had to do a bit of sleuthing, but it appears you must be closest to the EMS in Warwick- which is the only EMS in RI that is in Jamis's dealer database. At the price, it's probably a close out in a too small or large a size...
Ok, thanks for the info!

According to the EMS employee, if they don't have my size in stock, they'll order it for me.
Old 08-13-12, 05:53 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading all these posts, what struck me was the emphasis on the bike rather than you.

It brings back memories of my life as an IT/Systems Analyst: The quality of the system meant little if it didn't fit the user and his needs...

Perhaps you should be looking more at what "feels right to you" and will best fit your needs rather than for the "best" bike. recently I started looking for a new bike and my LBS setup 4 bikes for me to test ride. The brand was the same and prices similar -- but there were huge differences in the bikes...

The question is not: "What is the best bike?"
It is: "What is the best bike for me?"

And, reading these forums: Seldom do I hear about people buying a new bike because the old one is not a good bike. Rather, they are usually looking for something that fits their current needs a little better...
Old 08-13-12, 08:07 AM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Crosstrail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle6286
That's awesome. How did you get that deal? I've never bought a quality bike before, so I don't know if it's like buying a car and there's some wiggle room with the price. Like I said in my above post, the LBS had it for $549 with nothing included. I definitely liked the look of it. I'm going to have to revisit the store and do some test rides.
Kyle,

Sorry it took me so long to respond... I'm not really sure how I got the great deal on the bike as I guess my LBS are more focused on winning you as a customer than making a killing on the bike. I had called around to 3 other shops in my area that carried Specialized and everybody else was charging the MSRP and only included a single tune-up within 3 months of delivery. Here is something to keep in mind as it could save you a little bit of money regardless of the brand you choose works best for you. I signed up for a Bike to Beat cancer benefit ride and as part of participating, several of the local bike shops were offering 15% off of all bikes and accessories for any participants, so you could look into any type of benefit ride in your area and see if there are any hidden perks like that which might save you money and help you start meeting people.

Good luck!

Aaron