Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wacky 48/38/18 crankset on vintage touring bike???

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wacky 48/38/18 crankset on vintage touring bike???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 10:00 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
I'd clean it up and modernize the drive train a bit.
But, an 18 chain ring???? That is whacked.
I'm running a 22 on our mountain tandem and it is almost overkill.
There are places where it would come in handy. As I pointed out above, the 18x30 is a 16” gear which is low. My 20x36 is a 15” gear and I do use it and do like it.

On my bikepacking bike, I have a slightly lower gear due to the 26” wheels but I would like something even lower. While we don’t usually put large grades on paved roads here in Colorado, the gloves come off when it comes to dirt. When that attack chihuahua becomes an attack Great Dane by the combination of steep roads and high altitude, there’s almost no gear that is low enough. I’m not sure there is a gear that will allow me to ride a 25% grade at about an inch below 12,000 feet

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

The sky is so blue because that’s just the darkness of space.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-12-20, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
Hey now! The driftless region in Eastern Iowa is no joke for hills, especially in my neck of the woods with the steep river bluffs of the Mississippi River. It's hard to find a 50 mile road ride that won't net you 3,000-4,000 feet of elevation, and pretty easy to find 100 ft per mile if that's what you're looking for. The rolling hills are steep and relentless. I am no slouch up an incline, the low gear on my touring/commuter is a 24 /32, and does get used from time to time!
Yeah, I love those comments about Iowa. Having grown up in Southeastern Iowa, I know there are plenty of hills there that are challenging especially with a loaded touring bike. Western Iowa near Omaha can be bad too. Of course people with touring bikes don't just stay in their state either.

I live in Wester PA now, where there are nothing but hills, but never discount Iowa for hills.
Likes For phughes:
Old 06-12-20, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Yeah, I love those comments about Iowa.
I have lived in Iowa in Iowa for 15 years and lived in nine other states before Iowa. Florida was the flattest. For about half of my 15 years in Iowa I did a lot of work with elected officials. One of them quite seriously told me he felt Iowa is too hilly to be able to make use of cruise control in a car. I thought that was hilarious, odd, and not true as there are long flat stretches of highway in Iowa where cruise control is handy, but yes there are areas with quite a lot of challenging climbs. I discovered this while riding several RAGBRAIs (but I haven’t been able to ride one since 2014 due to work and family demands).
Likes For RoLo50312:
Old 06-12-20, 03:40 PM

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I do not see how you can get a 3-4000 ft ELEVATION change in a state with its highest point of less than 1700 ft. Don't get me wrong, you might CLIMB that much on a ride, though I'd have to see it to believe it, but I don't see how that much elevation is possible.
Old 06-12-20, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
+ 1 on this. There is some fine riding in NE IA, SW WI, and SE MN. The hills can be unrelenting and steep.
+2. When riding across the country unsupported we went into Iowa from the Browning, MN, area. Had some nasty grades in the state, and I don’t think we were in the worst part. Ended up in Davenport then crossed into IL. I was glad I had my 22t ring, especially when it was 100 degrees with no shade.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-12-20, 08:23 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Needles
I do not see how you can get a 3-4000 ft ELEVATION change in a state with its highest point of less than 1700 ft. Don't get me wrong, you might CLIMB that much on a ride, though I'd have to see it to believe it, but I don't see how that much elevation is possible.
If you're ever in northeastern iowa i will take you on a gravel century ride with some serious climbs......either bring your granny gears or your walking shoes!
Old 06-12-20, 10:58 PM

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

If you go down in a hole, you have to climb out of it. It adds up.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-13-20, 06:47 AM

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If you go down a hole, then climb back out, your elevation did not change. Your elevation refers to height above sea level. If you climb a total of 4000 feet, and descended a total of 4000 feet, your elevation did not change.

Last edited by Needles; 06-13-20 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-13-20, 08:51 AM

If you go down a hole, then climb back out, your elevation did not change. Your elevation refers to height above sea level. If you climb a total of 4000 feet, and descended a total of 4000 feet, your elevation did not change.
While technically true, most people, apps, GPS devices, etc only count the climb back up. They may count the negative elevation change but they don't subtract that from the elevation "gain". Unless you did a ride where you never returned to the start point, every ride would have zero elevation change.

I did a ride recently from my house up to a place called Rocky Flats. I climb 2027 feet to the top of the ride and then came home. By your measure, I had no elevation change because I returned to my starting point. My GPS actually says that I went up 2027 feet and came down 1925 feet which means I ended up 100 feet over my house.

We count the uphill bits because we have to put energy into riding up a hill. The downhill bits are freebies for putting the energy into climbing that hill.

Old 06-13-20, 09:25 AM
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I'd rather have this gearing setup than a compact double-chainring crank.
Old 06-13-20, 04:13 PM

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Yes it did and it changed TWICE. At one point you were at 0 and climber to 4000 so your elevation change was +4000. Then you went from +4000 back to 0 so your elevation again changed. The two do not cancel each other out.

Cheers