Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

*NEW* Pedal Force Group Buy - RS2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

*NEW* Pedal Force Group Buy - RS2

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How did you "nude" your fork. I was interested in doing that myself.

Originally Posted by bdc88
I am done as well. Family is happy I am done after 6 hours in the garage.

I did not have a lot of time to get a great picture so I will try when I get some more time.

Everything has a picture to confirm the weight.

BAR TAPE Fizik* 62g

BOTTLE CAGE(S) Karbon* 16g

BOTTLE CAGE BOLTS Black aluminum* 4g

BOTTOM BRACKET Token* 146g

BRAKE LEVERS Dura-Ace* 422g

BRAKES FRONT & REAR KCNC CB-1* 167g

CABLES/HOUSING NOKONS* Housings 108g and Cables 43g 151g

CASSETTE KCNC 11-23* 106g

CHAIN KMC X10 SL silver with links missing* 224g

CRANKSET FSA Carbon Compact with Fibre-Lyte Rings* 464g

CRANK BOLTS Token* with caps 23g

DERAILLEUR FRONT Dura-Ace FD-7800-F* tuned with Parlee Carbon Clamp 74g

DERAILLEUR REAR Dura-Ace RD-7800-SS* Tuned 141g

FORK Easton EC90 SLX "nude"* 276g

FRAME Pedal Force RS2 965g

HANDLE BAR Rue Bonded Eaton EC90 Equipe / Syntace F99 w/ ti bolts* 300g

HEADSET FSA Orbit CE Compatible Headset* 64g

HEADSET CAP/BOLTS Fibre-Lyte Cap / aluminum bolt / Tune Gum Gum* 13g

HEADSET SPACERS CARBON SPACERS* 11g

PEDALS Speedplay X/2 SS* black ano aluminum butterfly 175g

QUICK RELEASES Omni-Racer skewers* 40g

SEAT Signature (Samu) inspired SLR carbon* 76g

SEAT BINDER OMNI Racer* 10g

SEAT POST KCNC Ti Pro Lite cut down to 250mm 129g

TIRE FRONT Conti Super Sonic* 163g

TIRE REAR Conti Super Sonic* 159g

TUBES Performance Lunarlite tubes 101g

WHEEL SET (FRONT) American Classic Sprint 350 w rim tape* 561g

WHEEL SET (REAR) American Classic Sprint 350 w rim tape* 756g

MISC OPTION Air in tires, tape under bar tape, cable ends and grease 21g

TOTAL WEIGHT IN GRAMS 5820

TOTAL WEIGHT IN POUNDS 12.83
Old 04-22-08, 07:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenshinvt
good looking build! very similar to mine. I love the thomson stem.. I'm thinking of upgrading myself for sheer aesthetics. Post bigger/more pics when you do post in the build thread..
That's the only pic I have right now so that's the one I posted on the build thread. I'll take more tomorrow and update the thread.
Old 04-22-08, 08:33 PM
Aero & Light is Right.

Bikes: English Custom Build, Cervelo SLC, Carbon 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jordyloo
How did you "nude" your fork. I was interested in doing that myself.
If you go onto Weight Weenies or Fairwheelbikes.com forum there is a lot of information on doing this. I think there were a few guys that actually did their whole frame and have some great details on doing so.
Old 04-23-08, 04:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm soooo excited. This afternoon after school will be the maiden voyage. I picked up an Edge 205 yesterday, and hopefully that is the last thing needed to comlete the build. I will post a full ride report this evening.
Old 04-23-08, 07:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm noticing a clicking noise when I'm out of the saddle. Anyone else experiencing this? I think it's from the barrel adjusters on the frame, however, it only happens when I have my weight over the front end. Did everyone else uses housing stops where the cable enters the barrel adjuster or just a naked cable end?
Old 04-23-08, 07:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm noticing a clicking noise when I'm out of the saddle. Anyone else experiencing this? I think it's from the barrel adjusters on the frame, however, it only happens when I have my weight over the front end. Did everyone else uses housing stops where the cable enters the barrel adjuster or just a naked cable end?
I have "housing stops". Initially I had a bit of ticking when standing up in high gear but it was the chain brushing the FD when the bottom flexed with my weight on the right pedal. The FD ended up being a tad out of alignment.
Old 04-23-08, 08:07 AM
markyore

Bikes: Specailized s-works E5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BackRoadsBiker
I'm soooo excited. This afternoon after school will be the maiden voyage. I picked up an Edge 205 yesterday, and hopefully that is the last thing needed to comlete the build. I will post a full ride report this evening.
Please do....also others that have ridden their bikes pleas post ride reports.

My order is still processing and at this stage I'm getting very frustrated, almost to the point where I want to call and cancel the entire order. I'm also a little miffed at the communication from PF (or lack thereof) it seems information and updates are only given when asked for!

So ride reports please......I need some motovation to keep my patience.
Old 04-23-08, 08:14 AM
It's carbon dontcha know.

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
My frame is supposedly shipping early May after the problems of the faux shipping alert...
Old 04-23-08, 09:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Proximo
I have "housing stops". Initially I had a bit of ticking when standing up in high gear but it was the chain brushing the FD when the bottom flexed with my weight on the right pedal. The FD ended up being a tad out of alignment.
hmm, it's definitely at the housing stops. It makes me wonder if the criss-cross style derailleur cable routing was a bad idea. Redoing that is going to be a pain.
Old 04-23-08, 09:44 AM
mmm...custom...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got my shipping confirmation...they are saying 12 days from taiwan...

can't wait...
Old 04-23-08, 11:06 AM
markyore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by workscollective

can't wait...
Me to....just as I was thinking of cancelling it!

For those of you who had theirs shipped from singapore how long did it take for you to get it?
Old 04-23-08, 11:10 AM
markyore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by workscollective

can't wait...
workscollective, is yours shipping from Taiwan or Singapore?
Old 04-23-08, 11:44 AM
SilentRider

Bikes: Trek Madone SLR 7, Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One (x2), custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Singapore = 13 days (the estimate was 10 - 14 days per speedpost.com/air parcel)
Old 04-23-08, 12:48 PM
mmm...custom...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, it's coming from singapore...

Originally Posted by markyore
workscollective, is yours shipping from Taiwan or Singapore?
Old 04-23-08, 01:02 PM
On the Move

Bikes: Lots

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ride Report:

I'm coming off a 2006 spine Ti/carbon Lemond Tete De Course as my latest ride. I've been road riding for 23 years and have had lots of bikes. But this is my immediate comparison. After riding the RS2, it becomes apparent how absolutely magnificent a race bike the Lemond is. But back to the RS2.

As I wrote earlier, the RS2 is overall well presented but does lack a certain quality feel found in the Lemond and other bikes. I think in part that is due to the multishaped tubes which in some cases almost appear lumpy, like the frame was formed in a home made paper mache mold, but that is an exaggeration. I still think an asian generic frame made for OEM mass use at reasonable prices is without doubt exactly that and it shows. Now, hopefully is well made for structural integrity, but its style, form, and finish are lackluster. But, it is lackluster compared to $3k frames so....

The frame does well absorbing rough roads and small surface cracks. It is not good at all with the larger cracks, bumps, holes, or railroad track crossings like the Tete. It has about the same comfort level on these larger bumps as a Cannondale aluminum.

The frame is quite responsive to pedal input, and seems very stiff in the bottom bracket. It is a bit stiffer laterally than the Tete. So its acceleration pickup is helped by that, but at the same time deterred by the longer rear end dragging behind. It seems to do well climbing due to its pedal input response. Its very close to the Tete in this aspect and almost hard to notice a difference without really focusing and nitpicking. Overall, I'm happy with its stiffness and responsiveness.

Handling is always a personal preference. I like slow steering bikes I have to purposely steer with trails in the high 50s. This is where the Tete disagrees with me with its razor sharp handling using a 52mm trail. Greg Lemond himself believed in slow handling bikes with trails in the low 60s, so he would have stable predicable handling down alpine passes. This really presents itself in no-handed riding where its easy enough to do on the Tete, but focus must be maintained and corners are difficult. This really only is a problem on long rides/centuries for the ability to sit up for a few miles to rest, stretch, eat without a single worry of falling. The RS2 with its longer wheelbase and trail presents a more stable platform and a little more neutral handling to my liking. It tracks and steers well but seems to have a very tiny slight tendency to want to pull left. This may be from having 2 attached cables on the left side from bar to frame, and only one on the right. I'll have to look into this.

In summary, the RS2 still is a good all around bike that would be happy racing, fast club riding, and OK on centuries. Its lacking bump absorption takes it down a notch for very long rides, although it still appears century worthy if you like them fast.

As I continue riding I'll be able to compare ride times on courses, and more subtle handling traits. The frame is about 300 grams lighter than the Tete, fork is about 50 grams lighter than Ouzo, and headset about 40 grams lighter., but FSA post is more portly. Total weight is ~15.3 lbs but I have to do a total bike weighing.

Here are some EARLY pics, with extra spacers as I work that out, greasy finger marks, and loose cable ends. Final finished pics will be posted in the other RS2 pic thread.

Last edited by teterider; 04-24-08 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-23-08, 01:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm, it's definitely at the housing stops. It makes me wonder if the criss-cross style derailleur cable routing was a bad idea. Redoing that is going to be a pain.
It might also be the cables tapping against the head tube. That makes a surprisingly loud tick on these plastic bikes.
Old 04-23-08, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teterider
Ride Report:

I'm coming off a 2006 spine Ti/carbon Lemond Tete De Course as my latest ride. I've been road riding for 23 years and have had lots of bikes. But this is my immediate comparison. After riding the RS2, it becomes apparent how absolutely magnificent a race bike the Lemond is. But back to the RS2.

As I wrote earlier, the RS2 is overall well presented but does lack a certain quality feel found in the Lemond and other bikes. I think in part that is due to the multishaped tubes which in some cases almost appear lumpy, like the frame was formed in a home made paper mache mold, but that is an exaggeration. I still think an asian generic frame made for OEM mass use at reasonable prices is without doubt exactly that and it shows. Now, hopefully is well made for structural integrity, but its style, form, and finish are lackluster. But, it is lackluster compared to $3k frames so....

The frame does well absorbing rough roads and small surface cracks. It is not good at all with the larger cracks, bumps, holes, or railroad track crossings like the Tete. It has about the same comfort level on these larger bumps as a Cannondale aluminum.

The frame is quite responsive to pedal input, and seems very stiff in the bottom bracket. It is a bit stiffer laterally than the Tete. So its acceleration pickup is helped by that, but at the same time deterred by the longer rear end dragging behind. It seems to do well climbing due to its pedal input response. Its very close to the Tete in this aspect and almost hard to notice a difference without really focusing and nitpicking. Overall, I'm happy with its stiffness and responsiveness.

Handling is always a personal preference. I like slow steering bikes I have to purposely steer with trails in the high 50s. This is where the Tete disagrees with me with its razor sharp handling using a 52mm trail. Greg Lemond himself believed in slow handling bikes with trails in the low 60s, so he would have stable predicable handling down alpine passes. This really presents itself in no-handed riding where its easy enough to do on the Tete, but focus must be maintained and corners are difficult. This really only is a problem on long rides/centuries for the ability to sit up for a few miles to rest, stretch, eat without a single worry of falling. The RS2 with its longer wheelbase and trail presents a more stable platform and a little more neutral handling to my liking. It tracks and steers well but seems to have a very tiny slight tendency to want to pull left. This may be from having 2 attached cables on the left side from bar to frame, and only one on the right. I'll have to look into this.

In summary, the RS2 still is a good all around bike that would be happy racing, fast club riding, and OK on centuries. Its lacking bump absorption takes it down a notch for very long rides, although it still appears century worthy if you like them fast.

As I continue riding I'll be able to compare ride times on courses, and more subtle handling traits.

Here are some EARLY pics, with extra spacers as I work that out, greasy finger marks, and loose cable ends. Final finished pics will be posted in the other RS2 pic thread.

...Drooool...
Old 04-23-08, 03:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Proximo
It might also be the cables tapping against the head tube. That makes a surprisingly loud tick on these plastic bikes.
That was the first thing I thought. I tried holding the cables so that they wouldn't contact the head tube and I still felt/heard the same clicking sound.

Do the PF barrel adjusters seem to fit a 4mm piece of housing (with plastic end cap) rather loosely to most people?
Old 04-23-08, 03:21 PM
SilentRider

Bikes: Trek Madone SLR 7, Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One (x2), custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride Report:
<snip>

For a second I thought that was my bike .. vey vey naice. How much does she weigh?
Old 04-23-08, 04:05 PM
Chasing the Peloton!

Bikes: K2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tete nice report. Love the build....
Considering this was my fisrt bike in oh 16 years or so I can't complain. I was very happy overall. Yeah ok You can compair a Toyota to a Ferrari but you might be a little disapointed
Ether way it is nice to know that there are some good fetures about the bike that can hold it's own againts bikes costing way more...
Old 04-23-08, 04:11 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks great. I can't belive i never noticed how well those FSA logo's went with that frame...nice eye
Old 04-23-08, 06:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK. The first ride was today.

Let me start off by saying I'm not a big guy at 130 pounds, so I can't make any real comments about flexing under normal ride conditions, but I can say that in all out sprints and big hills, the RS2 is more than stiff enough for me. Even at high speeds, the bike felt stable, and I felt quite comfortable really putting the juice on it.

The bike seemed to absorb road vibrations quite well, altough it was noticably less compliant than my previous bike, a Cadex CFR3. This might not be a good comparison though (full carbon frame and fork to a carbon and aluminum frame with aluminum fork).

The only two things I had problems with were that the saddle was a tad uncomfortable (understandable- brand new), and that I too, experienced the clicking noise.

Overall, it was great, and I really hope I have lots of time to ride in the future.

BTW- The Garmin Edge 205 is awesome, and I will try to post build pics as soon as I can get the dumb camera working.
Old 04-23-08, 08:32 PM
Raptor Custom Bicycles

Bikes: Raptor Bicycles... Fully custom carbon bikes... just the way you want them!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our bikes look almost identical. Same handlebar tape, same saddle, same wheels, similiar tires. Looks nice. Enjoy!

I pick up my fully assembled RS2 tommorow and plan on riding it for a few hours in the afternoon.

Ride Report:

As I continue riding I'll be able to compare ride times on courses, and more subtle handling traits.

Old 04-23-08, 09:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BackRoadsBiker
I too, experienced the clicking noise.
Couple questions for you to see if we have similar setups-
do you have your cables crossing over on the downtube (i.e., left shifter to right barrel adjuster routing)?
regardless of their routing, are the cables coming out of the shifters somewhat taut (and thus under a little bit of headtube-rubbing tension when turned)?
do you have any "inline" cable adjusters?

.. i think thats it still haven't narrowed mine down yet but I have more pressing issues to deal with like dialing in my fit.
Old 04-24-08, 05:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My cables are opposite yours (right to right, left to left), but I do have inline cable adjusters. My cables are pressed against the head tube too, so I think that is probably what it is . It was most likely happening the whole ride, but I just noticed it at the end because I was tired and taking it slow.

Nice bikes btw, people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.