Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How To Live A Car Free Life

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How To Live A Car Free Life

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-18, 08:39 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
My wife has been car free, gosh, her WHOLE life.

Car ownership has never been a topic of discussion, we met each other for the first time near a subway station of all places.

I do find its a bit sad that there are so many "commercial couples" out there though.

Surely there are higher values than materialistic values.
Do they still ban bicycles on Chinese trains? And are subways considered trains?

Passengers May No Longer Carry Bikes on Chinese Railway Trains - Tracking China
Old 02-15-18, 08:48 PM
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
That is why I bought a folding bike.

Pack it in a suitcase, and take it where ever you want.

Its been on trains, planes, buses, taxis, almost every form of public transportation.

Oddly enough its the bike I tend to ride the most.

My wife will use a rental bike when we travel, even though its not as good as her own bike.
Old 02-15-18, 09:19 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 1,052 Posts
I do find its a bit sad that there are so many "commercial couples" out there though.
What are "commercial couples"? And why do they make you sad?
Old 02-15-18, 09:30 PM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Do they still ban bicycles on Chinese trains? And are subways considered trains?

Passengers May No Longer Carry Bikes on Chinese Railway Trains - Tracking China
It's a capacity thing - the trains are packed. Fortunately there are bikes for hire in all major Chinese cities
Old 02-15-18, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by cooker
It's a capacity thing - the trains are packed. Fortunately there are bikes for hire in all major Chinese cities

If you say so. But for a country that was once call the kingdom of the bike it seems strange. You know they have food restrictions on some trains as well?

Hong Kong?s MTR to ease rules on swearing and filming (but eating on trains still forbidden) | South China Morning Post
Old 02-15-18, 10:32 PM
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What are "commercial couples"? And why do they make you sad?
I find its disappointing with your superior intellect that you don't understand what this term could mean.

Here is a hint though, its one of the oldest forms of trade known to man.
Old 02-15-18, 10:40 PM
C*pt*i* Obvious

If you say so. But for a country that was once call the kingdom of the bike it seems strange. You know they have food restrictions on some trains as well?

Hong Kong?s MTR to ease rules on swearing and filming (but eating on trains still forbidden) | South China Morning Post
Car culture is currently all the rage in the P.R.C.

Hong Kong has a different set of rules than mainland China. (people tend to spill and make a mess with food, especially young children, so its considered quite practical for short distances on H.K. trains)

Also, they can actually take bicycles on some of the trains in H.K. (usually with the front wheel removed, during off peak hours)
Old 02-15-18, 11:02 PM

Car culture is currently all the rage in the P.R.C.

Hong Kong has a different set of rules than mainland China. (people tend to spill and make a mess with food, especially young children, so its considered quite practical for short distances on H.K. trains)

Also, they can actually take bicycles on some of the trains in H.K. (usually with the front wheel removed, during off peak hours)
Do you know why they changed from the LCF culture? I cannot believe how fast they have moved into cars. They already buy more than we do and we had a big head start.
Old 02-15-18, 11:32 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 1,052 Posts
I find its disappointing with your superior intellect that you don't understand what this term could mean.

Here is a hint though, its one of the oldest forms of trade known to man.
Still sounds like fabricated gibberish to me; whatever though. So why does it, whatever you mean, make YOU sad? Does it prevent YOU from living YOUR life the way YOU think YOU should?
Old 02-16-18, 03:19 AM
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
So why does it, whatever you mean, make YOU sad? Does it prevent YOU from living YOUR life the way YOU think YOU should?
Still sounds like fabricated gibberish to me; whatever though.
Old 02-16-18, 06:40 AM
Prefers Cicero

Were they also the kingdom of food?
Old 02-16-18, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 576 Posts
Do you know why they changed from the LCF culture? I cannot believe how fast they have moved into cars. They already buy more than we do and we had a big head start.
They're buying more automobiles because more people can now afford to buy automobiles.
Old 02-16-18, 06:57 AM
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by jon c.
They're buying more automobiles because more people can now afford to buy automobiles.
But they still don't let you you bring your car on the train.
Old 02-16-18, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by cooker
Were they also the kingdom of food?
Still, you can see where I am going with this? Even in a rather authoritarian country the car seems to be growing in popularity a lot faster than the people that have predicted here, “If people only gave LCF a try they would give up there cars.” Paraphrased by me.
Old 02-16-18, 05:42 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,537 Times in 1,859 Posts
Sorry, folks but people who have been riding bikes in all kinds of weather Really appreciate having cars.

People Want cars. It is noti not a conspiracy.

I mean, is indoor plumbing a conspiracy?

Car culture took off in China for a lot of reasons, but one big one is ... cars have windows, heaters, sometimes AC, and you don't have to work to make them move. And even if traffic is bad, trips don't take any longer ... but you are sitting down in a climate-controlled room on a padded chair listening to tunes, not sweating of freezing or both. And many of Chinese cities have so much air pollution it doesn't matter ... to them.

Does status matter and do cars show a person is doing well? Yes, but if they were painful tiring, and left you soaked in sweat or rain , plastered with mud, or frozen ... they wouldn't be status symbols.

People aren't going to lay down significant portions of their salaries and go way into debt for stuff they don't want and can do better without. Sorry I know this is supposed to be a fact-free zone ....

I am sure the religious fanatics who flagellate themselves think everyone else is crazy for not doing That, too .....
Old 02-17-18, 03:46 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I mean, is indoor plumbing a conspiracy?
It is according to the LCF (living commode free).
Old 02-18-18, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Still, you can see where I am going with this? Even in a rather authoritarian country the car seems to be growing in popularity a lot faster than the people that have predicted here, “If people only gave LCF a try they would give up there cars.” Paraphrased by me.
People are willing to endure burden and hardship to achieve a better life. If they perceive the possibility of doing so by enduring the financial burden of car ownership and the burden of sitting in traffic driving, they will do so even if they would be happier living car-free.

Too many people simply don't have faith in the ability to prosper car-free. They see a wealthier class of people in the world who drive and they assume that by copying that model, they will gain prosperity. It is very difficult to come to realization that human life is simply what it is instead of distracting yourself with false hopes about how it would be different if you had more stuff and more money.
Old 02-18-18, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by tandempower
People are willing to endure burden and hardship to achieve a better life. If they perceive the possibility of doing so by enduring the financial burden of car ownership and the burden of sitting in traffic driving, they will do so even if they would be happier living car-free.

Too many people simply don't have faith in the ability to prosper car-free. They see a wealthier class of people in the world who drive and they assume that by copying that model, they will gain prosperity. It is very difficult to come to realization that human life is simply what it is instead of distracting yourself with false hopes about how it would be different if you had more stuff and more money.
Is this something you know from experience? Does that make them less intelligent or unaware than “simple” living people? I think they just may be as aware as anyone else.
Old 02-18-18, 02:13 PM

Is this something you know from experience? Does that make them less intelligent or unaware than “simple” living people? I think they just may be as aware as anyone else.
I think you just play games with pride-driven ignorance. Yes, people feel insulted when they/we hear there is something we're ignorant of that's important, but should that stop us from confronting such truths?
Old 02-18-18, 03:23 PM

I think you just play games with pride-driven ignorance. Yes, people feel insulted when they/we hear there is something we're ignorant of that's important, but should that stop us from confronting such truths?
I just wondered if you suffered the pains of success and had achieved the success you are now saying these people should learn to eschew. And now that you have achieved the joy of suffering you know these 20 million or so Chinese that left the LCF fold last year should be satisfied with living the life of low wages where camping at a pay site is a hardship. Is it hard to convince such a life is better than one where you can afford to visit other countries and experience different cultures? Because that is part of what success is all about. But then maybe if you explained the joy of suffering to the rest of us??

So again you know these truths because you have been where the ones that have gained financial success have been and found the experience wanting?

Last edited by Mobile 155; 02-18-18 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-18-18, 05:20 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,537 Times in 1,859 Posts
People are willing to endure burden and hardship to achieve a better life.
You got that right.

And for a huge number of people who are forced to be car-free, they assume that burden and hardship to get a car.

Well ... not in your world, but in the Real world.
Old 02-18-18, 05:26 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If only the sheep would follow the tandempower path and be enlightented.

It works for me. But I live in uniquely simple circumstances. It doesn't work for most of the people I know (well really I don't know ANY LCF just a few car lite) and they would rightly find your judgement of what will make them happy so rude and simple minded.

I ride buses regularly and I'm sure I'm rare to do it while not wishing for a car. I believe you would find the car-wishers and car getters somehow wrong-headed and misguided - if only they could see the light. Most of these people simplify their lives by owning a car and it may enable them to interact with their family and friends more seamlessly. There's nothing wrong with deciding that being car free is too extreme for you and drink up on life while you can. The whole carbon footprint problem will disappear in a few years. It's not a lasting social issue that we have to find a fix for or face ultimate dire consequences. The way you lay your values and morality out as though universally acceptable immediately discredits most of what you have to say.

This forum can be a place for people with an interest in driving less without it having to be seen as the only morally correct way to live.
Old 02-18-18, 07:09 PM

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
If only the sheep would follow the tandempower path and be enlightented.

It works for me. But I live in uniquely simple circumstances. It doesn't work for most of the people I know (well really I don't know ANY LCF just a few car lite) and they would rightly find your judgement of what will make them happy so rude and simple minded.

I ride buses regularly and I'm sure I'm rare to do it while not wishing for a car. I believe you would find the car-wishers and car getters somehow wrong-headed and misguided - if only they could see the light. Most of these people simplify their lives by owning a car and it may enable them to interact with their family and friends more seamlessly. There's nothing wrong with deciding that being car free is too extreme for you and drink up on life while you can. The whole carbon footprint problem will disappear in a few years. It's not a lasting social issue that we have to find a fix for or face ultimate dire consequences. The way you lay your values and morality out as though universally acceptable immediately discredits most of what you have to say.

This forum can be a place for people with an interest in driving less without it having to be seen as the only morally correct way to live.
But sheep are sheep.. TP message is pissing into the wind, no, make that into a hurricane wind... of advertisement and what has become "normal" in todays society.
Old 02-19-18, 01:34 PM

I just wondered if you suffered the pains of success and had achieved the success you are now saying these people should learn to eschew. And now that you have achieved the joy of suffering you know these 20 million or so Chinese that left the LCF fold last year should be satisfied with living the life of low wages where camping at a pay site is a hardship. Is it hard to convince such a life is better than one where you can afford to visit other countries and experience different cultures? Because that is part of what success is all about. But then maybe if you explained the joy of suffering to the rest of us??

So again you know these truths because you have been where the ones that have gained financial success have been and found the experience wanting?
You talk about success as if it's a question of pride and rewards. Success is about achieving goodness, the truer the goodness the better. Sometimes you find out something you think is good is actually problematic. This happened to me around the time of the first Kyoto treaty, when I was riding a bike and feeling like I didn't burn any fossil fuel, but then someone told me that passenger jets burn a lot of fuel as well. I had never thought about reducing jet travel, but at that point I started thinking about how to reduce it and now I avoid flying. In fact, I have realized that most if not all forms of industrial consumerism cause pollution and waste, so minimalism is the best way to pursue success in supporting environmental health globally, but of course one's effects as an individual are minimal compared with all the other humans so you have to learn to be satisfied with putting in a lot of effort and sacrifice without seeing the results directly.

You may view success in terms of how much money you can make and spend, but to me that is just a way to keep people working and obeying systems that aren't actually producing as much good as they are causing harm. Sorry if that sounds like rain on your parade, but I can't lie and say I see success in the same materialistic terms that you do.
Old 02-19-18, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs
You got that right.

And for a huge number of people who are forced to be car-free, they assume that burden and hardship to get a car.

Well ... not in your world, but in the Real world.
Yes, that's what I said. That people see the burden and hardship of driving and car ownership as beneficial sacrifices, and that's why they do it. If they recognized that car ownership and driving are more detrimental than beneficial. they would choose the burden and hardships of LCF just as easily.

The problem is there's an economic trap where to make LCF as lucrative financially as car ownership for the economy, you'd have to increase the expenditures of LCF to the same level. This would be wasteful, because bikes and bike lanes/paths are more efficient and inexpensive than cars and driving infrastructure.

So we're caught in an economic trap where we can't gain efficiency without lowering the cost of living, and too many people and businesses are afraid of making less money if the cost of living goes down. It's really sad because LCF is good for the environment and for people to save money and live better. It's only because of all the people who aren't efficient at saving money that we have to maintain wasteful economic norms to provide them with sufficient levels of revenues and income they can't live without.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.