Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

bullhorn brake levers

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

bullhorn brake levers

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-09, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
any real preferred option? i'm not sure if i understand your question, but someone already mentioned that they prefer using reverse brake levers on bullhorns because he/she will have maximum control of the bike while stopping if he/she is gripping the bars at the ends. it's all preference (comfort, aesthetics, etc.)
Old 05-04-09, 06:12 PM
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have run both, cross levers on the flats and TT levers at the ends of the bullhorns, and I like the TT levers at the end of the bullhorns for several reasons:

1. That is where I ride most often. I bought bullhorns for that hand position, if I wanted to ride flats I would have gotten risers.

2. Even if you do go to the flats sometimes, it will be when you're going slow probably. Whenever I am bombing a hill or going fast, I am in the horns, where the TT lever is more accessible.

3. I think TT levers look cool

Some peopl prefer a cross lever, but those people usually like to ride in the flats. Where do you like to ride? Put the brake wherever it will be easiest to access most of the time.
Old 05-04-09, 06:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your 2nd point is a very good one. I'm sold.
Old 05-04-09, 06:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A single TT lever looks like crap. If you're going to run f/r I would use TT, if just front use a cross lever(Or even better, rig both to run off your front brake!)
I have ran a cross lever for a year, and never had a situation where I needed my brake and couldn't reach it in time to slow down while using my bullhorns. Drops are another story all together.
Old 05-04-09, 06:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the look of one TT lever because it makes the bike look more "naked" than if it had two cables running along the bike. For my fixed/single-speed bikes, I really enjoy the clean/bare essentials look.
Old 05-04-09, 06:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clink, That is the reason I was considering the cross lever. It's visually less obtrusive than the single TT lever, but it does sound that the single TT makes more sense from a usage perspective.

Maybe I'm going to have to think about this some more..
Old 05-04-09, 08:18 PM
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I have had this discussion/argument before (with Clink, I think) and it comes down to personal preference. I personally think TT levers (even a single one) look cool...but that's just me. As far as function, I am pretty convinced that TT levers are more convenient than cross levers.
Old 06-11-09, 03:40 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
again bringing back an old thread...
i'm interested in picking up some nitto rb-021's, but i run a cross lever for my brake and was wondering if there's gonna be enough room left for my hands for it to be functional at all. i'm thinking of the 40cm version if it makes any difference. thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-09, 03:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dddave
cane creek 200tt's.
Do these work with Nitto RB-018's?
Old 06-11-09, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought my first set of bullhorns and think they are the bomb for city riding. I've started with a cross lever, but agree with previous posters that you're more likely to really need the brakes when you're out on the bar ends (down fast hills or cranking hard using that position for leverage). To me the cross lever looks a little better aesthetically, because you hardly notice it and it does't look as asymetrical as a TT lever on one bar end.

Since I ride in city traffic and never know when I'm going to need the brakes RIGHT NOW, I've thought of trying to mount levers in both positions in line. Any else here ever tried this? It wouldn't look very cool but would add a margin of safety.

If I don't do that, I am probably going to switch from the cross lever to the TT type.
Old 06-11-09, 10:01 AM
Road, MTB and SS Rider

Bikes: Trek 5200, Yeti Kokopelli, Clockwork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just installed Nitto RB-009's and Cane Creek 200TT's. Love the look and how well it works for me. Never even considered putting levers on the flats. This is my training bike and around town cruiser with the wife. Would rather have the TT levers than cross levers.

As for whether the RB-018's will work with the 200TT's, according to everything I have read they won't. Nothing supposedly can. That's the ONLY reason I got the RB-009's. I wanted the straight bullhorn bars and these were the closest I could find that I liked that worked with the 200TT's.
Old 09-30-13, 05:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by palladio
I recently bought my first set of bullhorns and think they are the bomb for city riding. I've started with a cross lever, but agree with previous posters that you're more likely to really need the brakes when you're out on the bar ends (down fast hills or cranking hard using that position for leverage). To me the cross lever looks a little better aesthetically, because you hardly notice it and it does't look as asymetrical as a TT lever on one bar end.

Since I ride in city traffic and never know when I'm going to need the brakes RIGHT NOW, I've thought of trying to mount levers in both positions in line. Any else here ever tried this? It wouldn't look very cool but would add a margin of safety.

If I don't do that, I am probably going to switch from the cross lever to the TT type.
I'm wondering the same thing--whether anyone in the world runs both TT brake levers AND cross levers on the same bullhorns. I just mounted Nitto RB009s with cross levers and find that the drops are deep enough that it takes me a little extra time to get back to the flats. If I switched to just TT levers I'd have the problem of getting to bar ends if I was riding on the flats as these bars require a bit of extra forward lean... Anyone tried both on a single speed?
Old 10-02-13, 02:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CambSingSpd
I'm wondering the same thing--whether anyone in the world runs both TT brake levers AND cross levers on the same bullhorns... Anyone tried both on a single speed?
I run this set up and I really like it. I only have it for the front though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_00001395.jpg (102.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 10-02-13, 04:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it, thanks for including a pic. I was just asking at the LBS about this setup and the mechanic said that while it is do-able, it can 'crowd' the bar a bit. Yours looks just right, though.
Old 10-02-13, 05:30 PM

Bikes: purty blue undefeated II 57cm

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
dia comp 139 for bull horns with a mild drop
Old 10-02-13, 06:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts