Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-13, 10:29 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Day off today. I sat through an eight hour "Team Building" seminar at work today. It was actually quite good.

Tomorrow morning, adaption drills before work. The CAAD is set up and ready. Oh - yes, I will warm up completely before I do them.
Old 05-09-13, 10:39 PM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Track workout this AM and a gym workout in the evening. I am considering taking up Zumba to work on my core and ass.
I know a fabulous instructor if you're willing to travel.
Old 05-09-13, 10:47 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
3(3'+3') = pain
Old 05-09-13, 11:12 PM
West Coast Weenie

Bikes: 2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
Day off today. I sat through an eight hour "Team Building" seminar at work today. It was actually quite good.

Tomorrow morning, adaption drills before work. The CAAD is set up and ready. Oh - yes, I will warm up completely before I do them.
I'm pretty sure those aren't allowed in the same discussion
Old 05-10-13, 02:24 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
3(3'+3') = pain
Thanks for pointing that out, because I'm just about to go out and do just that session...
Old 05-10-13, 04:10 AM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Did a set of five of three minutes at LT segueing into a minute at VO2 max, four minutes RBI. The last one made me feel like I do when I get dropped - guess that's an indicator of what I need.

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-10-13, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Heading to the Encino Velodrome in a few for team sprint and team pursuit practice.
I heard that place is a dump! But seriously, not bad right? Still, the contrast between Carson and Encino is ripe for country club vs trailer park stereotypes. And cue Rocky IV training montage:

Old 05-10-13, 10:24 AM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
It's fine. I've ridden much worse.
Old 05-10-13, 11:44 AM
Idiot Emeritus

Gym rat time this morning instead of adaption drills (gym schedule forced me to go there today rather than tomorrow). 20 minute spin trainer warmup followed by 2X reps of coach's strength training regimen. I was able to hold the side planks for the full minute, and the full plank for a minute forty. There has to be something wrong...
Old 05-10-13, 11:56 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are doing better than I am on them thar planks, Sara, that's fer sure.
Old 05-10-13, 12:02 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No comment Nice work Sara. The time to failure will increase as you get stronger. AZT, keep working on it.
Old 05-10-13, 12:06 PM
Idiot Emeritus

AzT, remember that I'm tiny and you're a bit larger? I'm certain you're quite strong!
Old 05-10-13, 12:07 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by shovelhd
No comment Nice work Sara. The time to failure will increase as you get stronger. AZT, keep working on it.
Thanks, Shovel!
Old 05-10-13, 12:12 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
AzT, remember that I'm tiny and you're a bit larger? I'm certain you're quite strong!
I love flattery, but in this case... NOT!
Old 05-10-13, 12:22 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by AzTallRider
I love flattery, but in this case... NOT!
Aww, come on - you're a "magnificent specimen"
Old 05-10-13, 01:08 PM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Aww, come on - you're a "magnificent specimen"
My doctor asked me for a specimen once...wonder if this is related?

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-10-13, 01:15 PM
Idiot Emeritus

I'd like to enter the Modesto Road Race taking place on the 19th. It's a flat course, looks pretty fast, but there is a catch. There are NO women's races, but "Women are welcome to compete in their respective men category". W4 = C5. It's also 60 miles. Of chasing. Perhaps I should reconsider?
Old 05-10-13, 01:34 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd like to enter the Modesto Road Race taking place on the 19th. It's a flat course, looks pretty fast, but there is a catch. There are NO women's races, but "Women are welcome to compete in their respective men category". W4 = C5. It's also 60 miles. Of chasing. Perhaps I should reconsider?
Can you hang with a male group? If the answer is "maybe", then perhaps it's worth giving it a go. If the answer is "probably not" then I wouldn't bother. I don't see much point in entering a race only to ride alone, personally.
Old 05-10-13, 01:41 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's interesting that they call this a road race. It looks like a long, technical criterium. I bet you could hang with 7 laps of surges. It's the 10 turns where you'd have to be very careful not to get spit out the back. If you pay close attention to keeping yourself in the pocket, conserve, coast as much as you can, and save the efforts for the corners to hold position, I bet you could finish this in the field.
Old 05-10-13, 02:51 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by shovelhd
It's interesting that they call this a road race. It looks like a long, technical criterium. I bet you could hang with 7 laps of surges. It's the 10 turns where you'd have to be very careful not to get spit out the back. If you pay close attention to keeping yourself in the pocket, conserve, coast as much as you can, and save the efforts for the corners to hold position, I bet you could finish this in the field.
Shovel, I don't know. It's a flat course, yes, and that does play to me. However, me in a group of men - Cat 4 and 5 - which means "young and strong", stronger than the women their age for the most part, and I don't know how long I'd last. Chas makes a good argument, however I may give it a go.
Old 05-10-13, 03:14 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

I've raced Modesto RR a few times. It is pancake flat and totally exposed to the wind. If it's calm, it's fast but easy to sit in and it comes down to a field sprint. Get to Corner 11 in the top 10 and you're in good shape. If it's windy, it's likely to shatter and you may very well end up riding by yourself.

I was considering it and asked a teammate if he was racing it. "Why do Modesto? You can do the River Ride for free."

So, yeah.
Old 05-10-13, 04:19 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Caluso, I put a feeler out to my Team, and they said what you said about Modesto. However, I want to remind you fellas that I'm a 60+ woman, and I'm not as strong (I may be as fit, but strength is another matter) as you all are. The relativity theory as it applies to me is that what is easy for you can be darn near max for me! I can sit in at 23 to 25 MPH all day, but faster than that, even sheltered, and I start eating into reserves. Then there is recovery. A strong acceleration coming off of a corner I can cope with, and maybe even match, but the recovery time from that effort I CANNOT match. That's where I start to get into trouble. I loose some ground, have to chase back on, then loose again - and pretty soon I'm shelled. Now, I am NOT talking myself out of this, I'm just giving you all my realities. I may very well do the race, just for the experience, which I need probably more than anything.
Old 05-10-13, 04:22 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Oh - the River Ride looks like fun (and free is good)! I didn't read the blog, does it run from Old Town to Folsom along the trail, or is elsewhere along the delta?
Old 05-10-13, 04:53 PM

The Saturday ride starts in Midtown, in the alley behind City Bike Works and heads to the Garden Highway northwest of downtown. It is neutral until it passes the city limit and then it is full gas from there to the Sutter County line, which is the first of two sprints. It comes back on the same road, except the second half is longer and includes some good crosswind sections. It may be a little fast. During this time of the year, cruising speed is around 27-28 mph.

There is also a B ride option that leaves 15 minutes early; I've never been on that one but I hear that it's less surgey than the A ride.
Old 05-10-13, 05:16 PM
Idiot Emeritus

I just had a look at the River Ride on Strava, Facebook, and I read Bev's notes. It looks like fun, and it looks fast, like race pace (a lot like our Saturday Morning Ride, but without the climbing). I may have to try that sometime!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.