Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Weinmann 610 Center Pull Brakes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Weinmann 610 Center Pull Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-22, 12:27 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
They came off in one piece but the adhesive stayed with the calipers, I need to figure out how to glue them back on
Super glue gel, very sparingly as it may eat them, maybe silicone or Shoo Goo.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-22-22, 12:28 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Who's tossing Weinmann brakes? Not me.

Not us.
Old 08-22-22, 02:41 PM

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Super glue gel, very sparingly as it may eat them, maybe silicone or Shoo Goo.
Silicone is a good idea since I may be doing the same thing again 5 years from now
Old 08-22-22, 06:31 PM

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
I just wish the Weinmann's used the same 'quick-release' system as Mafacs..... simple, elegant, no extra 'moving' parts, derailleur cable for the straddle.......! But all that aside, set up properly with Kool Stops and they're as good as anything.
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 08-22-22, 07:24 PM

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
This seems like a good opportunity to ask this, what with all the Weinmann fans checked in here. I've wondered aloud before, but hadn't gotten much feedback.

It seems that Weinmann brakes had one of two types of return springs. One type uses thicker wire and is coiled only two(ish) times. The other type uses thinner wire and is coiled about three(ish) times. There's a noticeable difference in spring rate in these -- the thinner/longer springs having much less return force than the thicker/shorter ones. Does anyone know the application strategy here? Was each spring set intended for certain types of levers? Or bike brands? Or even "mens" vs. "womens" frames?
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 08-22-22, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 3,383 Times in 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
It seems that Weinmann brakes had one of two types of return springs. One type uses thicker wire and is coiled only two(ish) times. The other type uses thinner wire and is coiled about three(ish) times. There's a noticeable difference in spring rate in these -- the thinner/longer springs having much less return force than the thicker/shorter ones. Does anyone know the application strategy here? Was each spring set intended for certain types of levers? Or bike brands? Or even "mens" vs. "womens" frames?
Never heard of that before, but it's an interesting story!
I've only got one bike with Weinmann centerpulls now.. the '74 Raleigh International, and it appears to have the two turn spring.. or at least I see two turns when I look at it from the side....

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-22-22, 10:00 PM

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
This seems like a good opportunity to ask this, what with all the Weinmann fans checked in here. I've wondered aloud before, but hadn't gotten much feedback.

Good question. I never noticed before so I had to take a look. All of my Weinmann calipers have two turns but my Dia-Compe calipers have three. You are correct, the three turn version has a lighter action...

Old 08-22-22, 11:43 PM
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Nice work on those restorations. I’ve never binned any 610s (I’ve hoarded 750s), but I have repurposed some for dynamo light mounts on at least four bikes - very handy. (I think the 710 links in my sig - must be in desktop mode - have pics in those folders.)
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 08-23-22, 04:51 AM

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
Good question. I never noticed before so I had to take a look. All of my Weinmann calipers have two turns but my Dia-Compe calipers have three. You are correct, the three turn version has a lighter action...
I think this is consistent with how I remember it also. I definitely remember the "Schwinn Approved" ones having the lighter springs, and I do think most or all of the Schwinn brakes were Dia-Compes. Interesting.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 08-23-22, 07:07 AM
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
There was a time long ago when center-pull brakes were considered better than side pull. For example in the Schwinn line up, the Varsity got side pull and the Continental and bikes above it got center pulls. Most pros in the 60's and into the 70's were using center pull.

Here is my Continental with the original brake on the front. The Schwinn Approved didn't peel off, it faded away. That is ok with me.

Later on side pull brakes became the preferred caliper.
I go back far enough in time to remember when center pulls were considered to be the better brakes. It was about 1968 when Campy came out with their side pulls that changed that opinion. With my very 1st check I got teaching in September of 1972, I went straight to the bike store and bought a pair of Campys. They were around $70 back then. That was expensive enough so they were the only non-necessary item I could buy with that check.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 08-23-22, 07:44 AM
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
In regard to the two wrap springs versus the lighter action three wrap, I will admit to lessening the tension on some of my two wrap versions (have four bikes with those). I found that some of them were harder pulling than others, so I eased off the spring expansion a bit on those on my work bench. On some that needed it I equalized the tension also. I also admit to being a bit obsessive compulsive. All the adjusting and tweaking to get the best result is part of the fun for me.
Likes For obuckler:
Old 08-23-22, 10:31 AM

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
The Lambert originally came with these Lambert branded Weinmann copies. There was nothing really wrong with them, they have a finish that looks painted and weren't confidence inspiring. I had a set of Weinmann centerpulls, and these are confidence inspiring, so on they went.

Original Lambert calipers with "L" pivot bolts.

Weinmann 610 on Lambert

Last edited by Velo Mule; 08-23-22 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Spelling