Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

No hubs to be found; Also, Velo-Orange Hubs worth the money?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

No hubs to be found; Also, Velo-Orange Hubs worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-22, 04:37 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
Sanshin = Sansin = Sunshine were the makers for Specialized and Suntour hubs

Not Suzue
Likes For TPL:
Old 02-08-22, 04:41 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10471 Post(s)
Liked 11,982 Times in 6,134 Posts
Originally Posted by eyemkeith
That’s a good point. I don’t know, honestly. I know where I want to end up, and have a serious miserly streak but lack the skills to do this myself. Now that I say it out loud, a new hub in an old rim sounds dumb. Is that the way it normally goes —new hub, new rim?
Or old hub/new rim, depending on the hub.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-08-22, 07:36 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T, Soma Rush, Razesa Racer, ⅔ of a 1983 Holdsworth Professional, Nishiki Riviera Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts
I used a VO hub on the rear of my most recent wheel build and I think it is quite nice. The front is a used Phil Wood Kiss Off which came out about the same price as a new VO hub including the cost of new bearings. By comparison, the Phil has a slightly nicer finish and certainly feels sturdy as hell. The VO hub also has a very nice finish, and the two look nice together. Both are very smooth, but the Phil hub bearings felt tight when new. With some miles on them, they both spin about the same.

Likes For mattface:
Old 02-08-22, 08:11 PM
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by eyemkeith
That’s a good point. I don’t know, honestly. I know where I want to end up, and have a serious miserly streak but lack the skills to do this myself. Now that I say it out loud, a new hub in an old rim sounds dumb. Is that the way it normally goes —new hub, new rim?
I did a very similar thing recently. I used an old Trek Titan Tour rim, new DT nipples, old spokes, new Shimano Deore Hub. The rim was a tough rim, with very little wear signs though. However, I did the work, this was a practice run to get me back in the groove of making a few wheels that I want to this year. I've purchased rims and hubs but not spokes yet to build two sets of wheels this year.

What type of Ritchey rim do you have?

Old 02-08-22, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Usually it’s old hub, new rim. That’s what I’m currently doing with a set of DA hubs and Tricolor hubs with new rims for each. I guess it just depends on how special the bike is, and what your tolerance for mismatching is.
Old 02-09-22, 08:18 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Combination of silver, 36 hole and 11 speed = very hard to find at the best of times.
You might do better with 32 hole than 36, and a matte finish than silver.
Just built up a set of 32 hole 6800 Ultegra hubs in silver (not polished) finish on wider Mavic A319 rims for the Davidson tourer. Work great, look great, but had to snag those hubs as soon as I saw them.
No opinion on the VO stuff, sorry.
Another option when you want 11-speed and availability is an issue in 36h: get a cassette that is “11-on-10.” Both SRAM and Shimano offered an 11-speed cassette that fit on the 8/9/10 hub. There are plenty of rear 8/9/10 hubs in 36h. The catch is that they are 11-32 and 11-34. This may require a long cage RD and that’s quite a monkey wrench…. For old legs, not a bad thing.
Old 02-09-22, 10:04 AM
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 689 Posts
There are a few more obscure examples in the Experiences with current High Flange Cassette hubs?-thread. But in 3 years time many of those examples have gone out of stock/production.
Likes For JaccoW: