Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rackless packless commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Rackless packless commuting

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-16, 10:57 AM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Not sure which bike @corrado33 is referring to. In either case, I don't see a CF rack in my future.

As far as weight is concerned, think about how much weight your body puts on the seatpost. An additional 10 pounds or so is not going to break it. All attachments are velcro and nylon straps, which help absorb any shock. The only issue with CF is clamping something to it, which puts all the stresses in a small area. Not generally an issue with bikepacking bags, but a seatpost rack on a CF seatpost or a standard rack clamped to CF seatstays is generally not advisable.
I'm just thinking of the flexy seatpost that comes on the CDale Synapse. You can already (by design) feel it flex in certain circumstances, I'm just wondering if a bikepack would exaggerate it. I recently watched Inspired to Ride and those guys and gals mostly had the same setup, albeit even lighter than yours (bivy sacks instead of tents, and aero bars with sleeping pad wedged between the bars, focused more on speed than carrying comforts). Seems like a great setup for touring on a road bike.

I'm amused by how much corrado feels he has to voice his disapproval of the CF rack on multiple pages.
Old 06-07-16, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
I'm just thinking of the flexy seatpost that comes on the CDale Synapse. You can already (by design) feel it flex in certain circumstances, I'm just wondering if a bikepack would exaggerate it. I recently watched Inspired to Ride and those guys and gals mostly had the same setup, albeit even lighter than yours (bivy sacks instead of tents, and aero bars with sleeping pad wedged between the bars, focused more on speed than carrying comforts). Seems like a great setup for touring on a road bike.

I'm amused by how much corrado feels he has to voice his disapproval of the CF rack on multiple pages.
Saw that movie a couple weeks ago on Netflix. Unbelievable how far they rode each day unsupported. Great movie.
Old 06-07-16, 11:53 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm a bit of a cycling bag junkie, with several brands and sizes of Carradice, Acorn, Louis Garneau, Topeak, Ortlieb and others. I used a Carradice Barley almost exclusively for commuting for a number of years, but have started using racktop bags more frequently in recent years. However, I have a Carradice Bagman rack on several bikes and use their Barley, Pendle or Zipped Roll bags on those bikes.

The Revelate bags intrigue me but it seems like it might be hard to swing your leg over the bag when mounting your bike, and that the long extension could also affect handling. Do you notice any effect on handling? One reason why I like the Carradice bags is that they center your cargo weight close to the saddle and the effect on handling is imperceptible.
Old 06-07-16, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Why shuttle laptops back and forth to work, anyway?
Because I often do work at home and as a software developer who's constantly changing stuff on my machine, I don't want to have to worry about keeping things in sync on a home computer.

Using a VPN or remote connection doesn't always work well for the kinds of things I'm doing.

Sometimes I work while at neither the office or at home.
Old 06-07-16, 01:29 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Because I often do work at home and as a software developer who's constantly changing stuff on my machine, I don't want to have to worry about keeping things in sync on a home computer.

Using a VPN or remote connection doesn't always work well for the kinds of things I'm doing.

Sometimes I work while at neither the office or at home.
Ah, okay, thanks. I didn't want to side-track @alan s's thread too much (sorry!), but with remote access of computers being a relatively mature technology (I remember first reading about Norton pcAnywhere in the early 1990s), it strikes me as weird that so many people are compelled to transport a laptop when they commute back and forth. Or if not a requirement, one of the ways that bike-commuters sometimes find ways to carry too much stuff with them.

</tangent>
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-07-16, 01:42 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3131 Post(s)
Liked 2,112 Times in 1,375 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
I'm just thinking of the flexy seatpost that comes on the CDale Synapse. You can already (by design) feel it flex in certain circumstances, I'm just wondering if a bikepack would exaggerate it.
I looked at their website just now because you caught my interest with this. It's a suspension system, basically. That makes it a bit strange on a rigid bike. There's no way to adjust spring rate or preload or damping, it's all built in and the same for everyone at a given frame size. Presumably they are clever enough to have made it stiffer at larger sizes. But anyhow, I'd guess that ten pounds more would not make a huge difference.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-07-16, 02:23 PM

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Not sure which bike @corrado33 is referring to. In either case, I don't see a CF rack in my future.

As far as weight is concerned, think about how much weight your body puts on the seatpost. An additional 10 pounds or so is not going to break it. All attachments are velcro and nylon straps, which help absorb any shock. The only issue with CF is clamping something to it, which puts all the stresses in a small area. Not generally an issue with bikepacking bags, but a seatpost rack on a CF seatpost or a standard rack clamped to CF seatstays is generally not advisable.
Are you saying that, perhaps, a carbon fiber rack in which the proprietary bags that work with it clamp to the carbon fiber part of the rack would be a bad idea?

That's what I thought, considering the scratches and gouges I see on my aluminum and steel racks after a few months of use.
Old 06-07-16, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Are you saying that, perhaps, a carbon fiber rack in which the proprietary bags that work with it clamp to the carbon fiber part of the rack would be a bad idea?

That's what I thought, considering the scratches and gouges I see on my aluminum and steel racks after a few months of use.
My personal view is that CF is not an ideal rack fabrication material, for many of the reasons you stated plus others. If you want to install bags on a CF frame, I think a soft bag is a much better solution than rack and panniers. Offerings from bikepacking gear providers and others are available for that purpose.
Old 06-07-16, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Why shuttle laptops back and forth to work, anyway?

I can work from home if need be, IF I have my laptop.