Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First time biking. Is it okay to go on the sidewalk on the more busy streets?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First time biking. Is it okay to go on the sidewalk on the more busy streets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-11, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mysteriouskk
This will be my first time biking with a road bike. Is it okay for me to ride on the sidewalk instead of riding in the bike lane?
My advice: to hell with the law and what can or cannot be done ... those lawmakers are with the mayority and the mayority are crazy selfish cardrivers.
Use common sense and use whatever means necessary to be as safe as possible. (ASAP)
Sometimes being ASAP can mean riding in the middle of the road, hindering cars, sometimes it means hopping on the sidewalk or doing all kinds of other crazy stuff.
The point is this: I have been doing this stuff all my life and I have never paid even one fine for it
Old 06-06-11, 11:57 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Cannondale ST400, Fuji Palisade, GT Timberline FS, Raleigh Technium 420, Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn Tempo, Specialized Sirrus Elite (aluminum), Specialized Sirrus Triple (steel), Trek 7.6, Viner Road Record

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by byrnemm
If it is your first time biking you're better off in an empty parking lot.
Gain confidence by riding on the street early on Sunday morning.
EPL's are great for testing any new equipment, and learning how to maneuver quickly.

Sunday morning is the only time I've ever been cursed at, presumably by someone who was late for church...
Old 06-06-11, 12:12 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
In the vast majority of circumstances, its a bad idea to ride on the side walk. However, there are times in the real world that it may make sense. For example, when I come back into my neighborhood I have a choice, either:

a) make a left turn across a six lane road, then make another left turn across another 6 lane road less than a block later,

b) ride less than a block on the side walk, which rarely has anyone walking on it.

Riding slowly on the sidewalk, watching for cars, and pedestrians, with a healthy understanding that no one is expecting you to come from where you are coming is a far superior option to option "a".

If you want to be pendantic, the best legal answer would be to walk the block. However, done with a little common sense, any physical or legal risk from riding that block would truly be deminimis.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-06-11, 12:22 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use the sidewalk all the time to skip traffic lights when turning right.
It's not my fault it's just a stupid idea to make cyclists stop for lights when they want to turn right and not be hindered by or hinder anyone in doing so ... especially when there is a seperate cycling lane on the street I turn onto.
On the sidewalk the red light has no power and so it isn't technically ignoring the red light ... they could fine me for riding the sidewalk but they never do.
I think that as long as the police doesn't see you doing something dangerous or hindering others they mind their own business.
Old 06-06-11, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Butcher
I live on a hill that is >15% grade. With 4 busy lanes and no shoulders, there is no way I am going up the hill 'taking the lane'. That is the only sidewalk I use. Going down the hill, I use the road. I would rather be a jail bird than a dead one.
There's a situation like that where I take the sidewalk up a steep and busy hill. It's important to point out that there are no driveways breaking up the sidewalk I take on this ride - otherwise I would have found a different route.
Old 06-06-11, 12:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would definitely try and use the sidewalks when you can as it's much safer than the road. I don't get people that ride within inches of 2 ton vehicles with nothing for protection save a helmet.

I mean, think about it, people are texting, talking on the phone, and very distracted driving, MUCH more so now than ever before, and would you rather be a few inches away from the potentially killing you or at least on a sidewalk where you have the curb as a little protection? I will take the sidewalk every time and regardless of what people say, it's MUCH safer.
Old 06-06-11, 12:41 PM

Bikes: 93 Specialized Hardrock Ultra (single speed conversion), 2013 Trek Marlin, 2013 Look 566 Ulterga

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To the OP: This LINK and THIS helped me a bit:
Old 06-06-11, 12:41 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by wcHHMiB6
I would definitely try and use the sidewalks when you can as it's much safer than the road. I don't get people that ride within inches of 2 ton vehicles with nothing for protection save a helmet.

I mean, think about it, people are texting, talking on the phone, and very distracted driving, MUCH more so now than ever before, and would you rather be a few inches away from the potentially killing you or at least on a sidewalk where you have the curb as a little protection? I will take the sidewalk every time and regardless of what people say, it's MUCH safer.
I'm sure you'll continue to say that until you're hit by a car pulling out of a driveway.
Old 06-06-11, 12:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I'm sure you'll continue to say that until you're hit by a car pulling out of a driveway.
I would much rather take my chances with something like that which is easy to avoid, especially if you are careful, compared to being way more vulnerable every single second I am on the road, inches away from cars and trucks with absolutely no barrier like a curb to protect me. I'll take the sidewalk every single time.
Old 06-06-11, 12:58 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I would much rather take my chances with something like that which is easy to avoid, especially if you are careful, compared to being way more vulnerable every single second I am on the road, inches away from cars and trucks with absolutely no barrier like a curb to protect me. I'll take the sidewalk every single time.
Buena suerte.
Old 06-06-11, 01:10 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Axis, De Rosa Merak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

People in my neighborhood are texting, talking on the phone, eating, listening to music with headphones on, walking their dogs - ALL on the sidewalk. Not at all that much safer.
Old 06-06-11, 01:11 PM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts

I'm going to guess you haven't ridden much.

I've met many cyclists over the years and a lot of them do pretty crazy things. Here's an interesting statistic: I have never encountered a cycling advocacy group or even a single experienced cyclist who advocates riding on the sidewalk or who thinks it's safer. On the other hand, this sentiment is common among people who don't ride at all and with beginners.

One could logically conclude that all the experienced people, bicycle advocacy groups, and public entities that print literature on where it's safe to ride can't figure out what's obvious to neophytes (a category that would have included aforementioned experienced people at some time). Or maybe they have figured out something and that the laws prohibiting riding on the sidewalk are possibly there to improve safety.
Old 06-06-11, 01:24 PM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
street. or find a different route.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-06-11, 01:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I'm going to guess you haven't ridden much.

I've met many cyclists over the years and a lot of them do pretty crazy things. Here's an interesting statistic: I have never encountered a cycling advocacy group or even a single experienced cyclist who advocates riding on the sidewalk or who thinks it's safer. On the other hand, this sentiment is common among people who don't ride at all and with beginners.

One could logically conclude that all the experienced people, bicycle advocacy groups, and public entities that print literature on where it's safe to ride can't figure out what's obvious to neophytes (a category that would have included aforementioned experienced people at some time). Or maybe they have figured out something and that the laws prohibiting riding on the sidewalk are possibly there to improve safety.
I ride quite a bit but not on the street. I don't need an advocacy group or someone else to tell me that riding next to 2 ton vehicles is or is not dangerous...it's very dangerous, especially these days with cell phones, text, internet on phones, etc. Sidewalk riding is dangerous too but at least you have a curb as a buffer from the cars on the street.
Old 06-06-11, 01:30 PM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
And who is protecting the pedestrians from you?
Old 06-06-11, 01:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, take a different route if you feel you need to be on a side walk.
Old 06-06-11, 01:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
And who is protecting the pedestrians from you?
I don't ride where there are many people on the sidewalks because I realize that it would not be safe of fun. If I am on a sidewalk there are little if any people around. Other than that, I ride bike trails.
Old 06-06-11, 01:36 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
I ride quite a bit but not on the street. I don't need an advocacy group or someone else to tell me that riding next to 2 ton vehicles is or is not dangerous...it's very dangerous, especially these days with cell phones, text, internet on phones, etc. Sidewalk riding is dangerous too but at least you have a curb as a buffer from the cars on the street.
The problem is you don't understand where the danger is coming from. The vast majority of collisions involving cars and bikes occur at intersections.

A very small percentage involve cars traveling the same direction as the bike.

Thus, while it's possible that riding on the sidewalk would reduce the risk of being hit from behind, it greatly increases the risk of being hit at an intersection (because you're not where the cars expect you, you're coming the wrong direction, your visibility is worse etc.)

So on balance, minor reduction of a small risk (rear end) with major increase of a big risk (intersection collision) makes your risk much higher on the sidewalk.

Don't let your irrational fears lead you a bad conclusion. Rather, look at the statistics for yourself, and listen to the combined wisdom of people who have ridden a lot more than you, and bicycle safety advocates who have given it a lot more thought and research.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-06-11, 01:39 PM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The problem is you don't understand where the danger is coming from. The vast majority of collisions involving cars and bikes occur at intersections.

A very small percentage involve cars traveling the same direction as the bike.

Thus, while it's possible that riding on the sidewalk would reduce the risk of being hit from behind, it greatly increases the risk of being hit at an intersection (because you're not where the cars expect you, you're coming the wrong direction, your visibility is worse etc.)

So on balance, minor reduction of a small risk (rear end) with major increase of a big risk (intersection collision) makes your risk much higher on the sidewalk.

Don't let your irrational fears lead you a bad conclusion. Rather, look at the statistics for yourself, and listen to the combined wisdom of people who have ridden a lot more than you, and bicycle safety advocates who have given it a lot more thought and research.
But...but...it is far easier to convince a blind man to see than for someone pretending to be blind.
Old 06-06-11, 01:45 PM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
This.

When you ride on the sidewalk, every intersection, driveway, alley, and parking lot is dangerous because cars will not expect you. They'll turn right on you if they're going the same direction as you and left on you if they're going the opposite. Cars that are worried about catching that gap when pulling out of parking lots and driveways won't see or expect you. Cars not wanting to block traffic and that are looking at their final destination that are turning into these places will not expect or see you.

Unless you are willing to slow to a walking speed at every intersection, driveway, parking lot, etc, riding on the sidewalk is suicidal.

You are safest when you are where you can be seen and you are moving the way people expect you to move.

Look up some statistics. You won't find any that support the idea that you're generally safer on the sidewalk.
Old 06-06-11, 01:51 PM
Banned

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There are a few reasons I don't ride on sidewalks, but they aren't anything which hasn't been mentioned already.

1. try to ride 20mph on a city sidewalk dodging light poles, hydrants, curb cutouts, and listening to the budumpa bumps when you go over the cracks in the concrete.
2. pedestrians and dummies on bicycles riding the wrong way.
3. cars are never looking on the sidewalk for pedestrians or bicycles. They are simply looking in the road for other cars, and if you're in the road, I feel you are actually safer and more likely to be seen.
4. in most places (such as Phoenix) it's illegal to bicycle on a pedestrian right of way - sidewalk.
Old 06-06-11, 01:52 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Pls show us your data to back up what you are saying. There are a lot of studies that have been done that say the exact opposite of what you say. In point of fact, those studies show that it isn't even close as to the relative safety. It's something like 1.8x to 24x safer being on the road than on the sidewalk depending on the study.

I got lazy this weekend in a downtown setting, one way streets made it inconvenient to go where I wanted to go. So I got up on the sidewalk and *slowly* rode down the sidewalk to the corner I wanted to be at. I nearly got my clock cleaned by a vehicle coming out of a parking garage. This all when i was going slow and being especially vigilant. All the studies tell us that this is when there is the biggest danger. Great lesson for me and fortunately no one got hurt.

If you "ride quite a bit but not on the street" then that's sort of the same thing as a newbie road rider, isn't it?

I don't think what you say has any basis in fact (unless I'm missing something) so please prove it. Otherwise you are advocating a position that is dangerous.

J.
Old 06-06-11, 01:54 PM
Banned

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
how do you maintain any sort of speed on the sidewalk?!
Old 06-06-11, 01:54 PM

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 and Azonic DS-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by visionz001
what happens if the streetlight doesn't trigger because theres no cars around? Get on the sidewalk to press the crosswalk then get back on the street?
I have an intersection(side road crossing heavy traffic) on one of my routes that requires me to hit the button and get back in the street because the sensor doesn't trigger and there usually aren't cars going my direction. There is no way that I could get across 6 lanes of traffic without hitting the button, I don't feel like playing Frogger.
Old 06-06-11, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Legal in LA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.