Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training status??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 11:28 PM
★ ★ ★

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
right now i'm doing well with the turkey, excellent with the sitting on my arse, & even better with my daily routine of the 12oz bottle lift.
Old 11-30-06, 11:50 PM
Slow'n'Aero

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Squint
It sounds like he's using a Tacx. One guy did the Alpe d'Huez course on a Tacx and took 4 mins off of Lance's 2004 time
Yep, Using a Fortius and It is quite well calibrated against the SRM. And no taking time out of lance here. I promise you that!

Edit: I mean to say that the numbers are coming from the SRM. The training indoors is on Tacx trainer which does a great job of measuring steady power outputs but not so well going above 500 watts when doing short intervals or sprints. But in the 200-350 Watt range, the Tacx corresponds quite well with the SRM.

Last edited by DrWJODonnell; 12-01-06 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-30-06, 11:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
380 watts at 167 lbs eh? Either total bunk or you should be hearing from toyota united any day now.
Old 12-01-06, 12:09 AM

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Convert
380 watts at 167 lbs eh? Either total bunk or you should be hearing from toyota united any day now.
Why?

I have been riding for a little more than a year now and my FT is well above 4.0, which, according to the CyclingPeaks power profiles, puts me at the high end of Cat 3s or lower Cat 2s. I am a 3, having recently applied for and recieving my upgrade. I have never done a 40k TT, but using the 95% rule for a 20min effort, at 312w, I'm at somewhere around 290-295w for an hour. I think I can be over 300 if I focus on that and give myself a year or so.

My friend has been riding for two years, and this summer won the state TT championship in the 3s, producing 350w for 57 minutes. He weighs 170lbs. A couple more years under his belt and why couldn't he do that too? He's now a Cat 2.

Given time (years, and each day) people can do some amazing things.
Old 12-01-06, 12:10 AM
Slow'n'Aero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, a guy really gets hammered for this stuff. Yeah, 168 lbs and as I had said, I am shooting for 380 (I hope) this year. Did 350-360 for LT last year and am hoping to increase on this.
Old 12-01-06, 12:33 AM
Now Racer Ex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In base one right now, some long days in the saddle (check out my 77 and freezing thread in road bikes). Just finished up doing 6 weeks of weights.

Recent test had my LT exactly where it was last spring, around 280. Good news is my lower numbers all came in 5-10 BPM under last year, so there's some stuff lurking. Lots of climbing to work on form, goal is 68 kg and 320w/hr by the start of the season, then build from there.

Last year's 40k TT came in at 291 for the 56 minutes, best form would have been around 310 for an hour so we'll see.

Going to work on the sprint ( goal is consistent 1300w +) and getting light, and the usual LT intensity stuff. Where I got hurt last year was when I put on the extra 2-3 kilos and couldn't hang with the front group on the climbs, I did the calcs and those extra pounds sucked up too many watts to talk about. If I'm there I can out sprint most if not all of the climbers. Comes in handy for primes too

Going to split time between stage races, road races and crits next year, mostly as support, sometimes as leader if the form is there.

What I've figured out is I'm old, I started wayyyyy late, so I need to make the most of my strengths. We'll see how the progress goes, but right now my best is a notch below the real talent we have out here, so it's picking my spots in the 1/2/3 races, or helping the guys. Which is fine by me.

Damn Doc, do you order those watts online?

Interested in the Taxc. Do you find the virtual stuff keeps your mind off the "pedalling to nowhere" effect?

Last edited by Vinokurtov; 12-01-06 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-01-06, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrWJODonnell
Wow, a guy really gets hammered for this stuff. Yeah, 168 lbs and as I had said, I am shooting for 380 (I hope) this year. Did 350-360 for LT last year and am hoping to increase on this.
I believe you mean FTP rather than LT (since most people's 1-hour-power is slightly above lactate threshold) but I could be wrong.

To the doubters in the thread... DrWJ's TT results confirm his stated numbers from last year.

BTW, I love seeing people's goals even if they seem lofty. Two years ago I weighed 215 pounds. A year ago, my one-hour-power was about 220 watts. I've made significant improvements in both areas. Does that mean I'll get to that magical (for me) 5.0 W/kg for a one-hour effort? I dunno but it's a goal I'm working toward. Better to have a goal and not quite make it than to be the lard-ass I was two years ago.

--Steve

Last edited by zimbo; 12-01-06 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-01-06, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
pretty crappy right now. missed 2 weeks at the end of october/early november because i was traveling for work, then i was sick.

now i'm riding anywhere from 7-10 hours a week, moderate intensity.
Old 12-01-06, 06:46 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
I've been ave 15 hours a week (approx 175mi)....
Averaging 11.6 mph? Is my math right?

Bob
Old 12-01-06, 07:45 AM
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Super-Duper Base...1500+ mi of mostly zone 1-3.

I get a second knee surgery (ACL hamstring autograft) in a few weeks, and I'll start all over. My hour power is going up significantly though...I should have a pretty profane aerobic base by the time I start real interval and sprint training this spring though, so not all is lost for the upcoming season.
Old 12-01-06, 08:00 AM
Ink-Stained Wretch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't y'all know that its December 1? Cyclocross isn't even done yet - you guys want to peak for March or something??
Old 12-01-06, 08:07 AM
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pinky
Don't y'all know that its December 1? Cyclocross isn't even done yet - you guys want to peak for March or something??
The season starts in earnest in February/March...

Being on form at that time wouldn't be a bad thing at all IMHO, as points are points, no matter what time of the year they're earned. That is, of course unless you're already a CAT-1 and don't need any
Old 12-01-06, 08:58 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well..........I let my PMC speaks for itself:

The first 6 weeks block my TSS ramp rate was 3TSS/day. ATL is 10tss/day. I am heading to my second 6 weeks block. With the rate and intensity I am going, by Christmas, I would have trained and achieved what I couldn't do during middle of May. In another words, if CT Housatonic Race were to take place in Jan, I would have finished the race with the main group, in terms of what power output I can hold on average for the entire race. Yes, I am very please with my progress. I only train 4 days a week the most and I can easily rack up 600TSS per week. No, the last time I hit 5.5w/kg on a 5 minutes climb was during the NY MS Bike tour, 10/15.

Hello all. Since most of you race, I was wondering how training is going for you? I started my base building a bit early this year and have now started getting into the real workouts. I was happy to be doing some tempo the other day at 320 watts for 1:15 (I try to stick with shorter workouts) which is about 50 watts better than the same time last year. Anyone else showing marked improvement over last years numbers? Give me some inspiration!! I climbed the virtual equivalent of the Peysourde today for 3000 feet of uphill fun. What are you all doing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pmc.jpg (90.6 KB, 111 views)
Old 12-01-06, 09:09 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by R600DuraAce
Well..........I let my PMC speaks for itself:

The first 6 weeks block my TSS ramp rate was 3TSS/day. ATL is 10tss/day. I am heading to my second 6 weeks block. With the rate and intensity I am going, by Christmas, I would have trained and achieved what I couldn't do during middle of May. In another words, if CT Housatonic Race were to take place in Jan, I would have finished the race with the main group, in terms of what power output I can hold on average for the entire race. Yes, I am very please with my progress. I only train 4 days a week the most and I can easily rack up 600TSS per week. No, the last time I hit 5.5w/kg on a 5 minutes climb was during the NY MS Bike tour, 10/15.

Apparently, it speaks a language with which I'm not familiar.
Old 12-01-06, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 52 Posts
I'm glad someone said it. I didnt really start riding regularly until ~november 1. I'd get so burned out if I started training hard core in october.
Old 12-01-06, 09:49 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you upgrade your CyclingPeak software? The PMC feature is extremely helpful in tracking your training load in the unit of tss/day. You would have a first hand experience of it if you got sick after 6 weeks of training. One looks at your own PMC, you would know why. You are ramping up your TSS/day too fast. The big dip in the middle of my chart shows that I was off for more than 7 days. I got sick exactly after 42 days. You can also load up your stats from your last racing season and comparing what you are doing today. In my case, I would have never realized I could train that much and that intense. A lot of us are undertrained to begin with.

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Apparently, it speaks a language with which I'm not familiar.
Old 12-01-06, 09:58 AM
base training heretic

Bikes: Cervelo P3C, many Litespeeds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zimbo
I believe you mean FTP rather than LT (since most people's 1-hour-power is slightly above lactate threshold) but I could be wrong.

To the doubters in the thread... DrWJ's TT results confirm his stated numbers from last year.
What were his results?

Tom Zirbel won the Tour of Shenadoah TT doing 363W for 1:06. He's 190 lbs and 6'4" so he probably has more aero' drag and mass to overcome. He was 5th at TT nationals in 2005 and 7th in 2006.
Old 12-01-06, 10:02 AM
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
The only Base that i have to consider this weekend is what Base Wax to use. Im leaning towards high Fluorine content since it's gonna be pretty wet.
Old 12-01-06, 10:10 AM
Slow'n'Aero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vinokurtov

Going to work on the sprint ( goal is consistent 1300w +) and getting light, and the usual LT intensity stuff. Where I got hurt last year was when I put on the extra 2-3 kilos and couldn't hang with the front group on the climbs, I did the calcs and those extra pounds sucked up too many watts to talk about. If I'm there I can out sprint most if not all of the climbers. Comes in handy for primes too

Damn Doc, do you order those watts online?

Interested in the Taxc. Do you find the virtual stuff keeps your mind off the "pedalling to nowhere" effect?
Thats a great sprint for your weight! I think when I was working hard on my sprints I could hit maybe 1100 for a peak and 1000 over 10 seconds (This was back before I had the SRM and was Using polar, but I suspect that my sprint is no better than that...probably worse!)

The Tacx is great in my mind and I know that I COULD NOT be where I am without it and live in the northeast. Indoor training drives me batty whether I am watching a bike race or not. Having the IMagic and then the fortius have really helped out. I miss having wind on my face, but a four hour ride indoors on the trainer is not impossible for me as it would have been two years ago. Plus, riding the same courses as the pros and being HUMBLED by their times really gives one perspective on just how talented they really are.

As to the poster that mentioned Functional threshold, that is true and is probably what I am referring to as I havent done specific testing for LT Since last season. I am only guessing at this point based on my TTs this past season. Thank you for pointing out my error (though it is stil close!)
Old 12-01-06, 10:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

+10. People do like to be christmas stars though.

Originally Posted by Squint
What were his results?

Tom Zirbel won the Tour of Shenadoah TT doing 363W for 1:06. He's 190 lbs and 6'4" so he probably has more aero' drag and mass to overcome. He was 5th at TT nationals in 2005 and 7th in 2006.
Come on squint, don't post actual numbers from actual top pros in actual races... it totally ruins the fun for these guys whose talent is squandered now that they are too old to race pro in europe
Old 12-01-06, 10:14 AM
I speak jive.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I start base 1 on monday, basically all zone 1-3 work on the bike with some running/swimming thrown in. 1st peak in May. Good luck to everyone on the upcoming season!
Old 12-01-06, 10:28 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by R600DuraAce
Yes, I am very please with my progress. I only train 4 days a week the most and I can easily rack up 600TSS per week.
I'm sure you could but your chart shows that you have not done so at any time in the last three months. Since your CTL has been hovering at around 50, your weekly TSS is about half that.

Still, it's great to see a fellow Cycling Peaks user.

--Steve
Old 12-01-06, 10:40 AM
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
+10. People do like to be christmas stars though.
Heh, I don't know how to make myself peak. I just want to get build 2 done by march, and then I plan on staying strong through the whole season.

I've been told that if I can upgrade quick next year I have a good chance of getting onto one of the better amateur teams in the country. That's why I want build done "early" We'll see...

As for DrODonnell, IIRC He did a TT at nearly 30mph , hence his user title.
Old 12-01-06, 11:09 AM
Now Racer Ex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats a great sprint for your weight!

...plus, riding the same courses as the pros and being HUMBLED by their times really gives one perspective on just how talented they really are.
I'm not there yet on the sprints, but can go 1200w+ pretty consistantly in the races, and I saw good gains in the weight room this winter. I just need to pick the right wheel or have some kind of hill involved.
I also need to keep in mind that I'm training and testing at altitude; there's a definite drop off in watts and max HR up here, so I keep trying to tell myself anyway.

Moving up this year was humbling for sure, racing against a number of very talented ex-pros. I had to go see an orthodontist from hanging on by my teeth so much. Had to employ different race tactics; went from moving around the pack at will to scraping to move up a few places. Gotta keep those elbows sharp too.

Though I didn't set it as a goal for the year because I'm focusing on team success, if I get the points I'm going to upgrade to 2 and do a few "pure" 1/2 races vs. master's 1/2/3, so I can watch Pizza Man ride off into the sunset.

Going to talk to my LBS about the Tacx today. Don't know if I can make 4 hours though, that's pretty determined.
Old 12-01-06, 12:16 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Our season here in Central Texas starts off mid Jan with some big races in Feb so yes I do want to hit one of my peaks by March.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.