Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Looking for fitness/commuter/cross/road type bike

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Looking for fitness/commuter/cross/road type bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-14, 04:00 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked 1,765 Times in 1,024 Posts
Just took a look at the Specialized AWOL Comp.....the fact that you could put a normal drive train or go with a belt drive is very cool. I thought about getting a belt drive bike for my commuter, but no one locally had one and I really would like to test ride one before I moved that direction, however I have read stellar reviews of them.

Old 11-29-14, 04:57 PM

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There are racks that hook up to the quick release skewer and brake bolt, so no eyelets in (most)carbon bikes isn't necessarily a deal killer.

Like the axiom streamliner, which, bonus! Sits back farther than most racks, giving you more heel/pannier clearance. Probably necessary for short chain stay bikes. Which most carbon bikes are.

Most non-cyclocross carbon bikes don't fit tires wide enough for off road either.
Old 11-29-14, 05:51 PM

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Get a Cross Check. I here the Straggler is pretty good too, but I still like bar end shifters and Cantis.
Old 11-30-14, 12:53 PM

Bikes: Cutthroat, Scalpel, Roubaix, Sequoia, SuperX, Diverge

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
well, managed to get asome test rides in on 3 different bikes, a Salsa Fargo, a Kona Jake, and a Redline of some sort.

The Fargo fit like a glove. I really liked the upright riding position. I don't know if the Jake or the Redline were set up properly, as I felt like I was almost flipping forward over the handlebars, just sitting on the bike. I know the Fargo is supposed to have a fairly upright riding position, and it makes sense that it would be more comfortable since I'm used to MTBs, but I was really surprised at how..."weird" the more forward position of the Jake and the Redline was really uncomfortable.

Are there any other bikes out there that are more upright like the Fargo?

Last edited by sgtrobo; 11-30-14 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-10-14, 10:45 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ok, so ended up riding a Surly Troll, Surly Ogre, a 2012 Salsa Fargo, a 2015 Salsa Fargo, a Kona Jake, and a Redline of some sort, as well as a Giant Anyroad, a Giant Revolt, and a Specialized AWOL.

The Troll and the Ogre were outstanding, but I was looking for a dropbar bike and although I could convert it, that would require additional work and cost and I wasn't up for that.

Rode the Kona Jake and the Redline. Wasn't a fan of either. They felt too..."twitchy", and they had too much of a 'lean forward' position and I prefer the more upright riding position.

Rode the AWOL and absolutely loved it, then almost immediately after rode the Anyroad and Revolt. Didn't mkae it around the block before I just brought them back. They felt far too...eh....they just didn't feel as stable or as compliant as the AWOL.

Rode the 2015 Fargo on multiple occasions and absolutely loved it, although I wasn't a fan of the low-geared front double. I do want to do some road riding and some distance/endurance stuff, even unloaded. I rode the 2012 Salsa Fargo because...it's cheaper than the 2015 version and it has a front triple, which I liked. It had bar end shifters which I hated, and BB5s. However, it was incredibly cheap because the LBS wanted it out of the shop, for obvious reasons, so upgrading to a Shimano Sora groupset + BB7s and 180mm rotor + Jagwire cable kit ended up being $1255 + tax, and that's what I ended up going with.

Thanks to everyone for their input and assistance! Pics will go up once I have it in my greedy little mitts.
Old 12-11-14, 11:39 AM
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 279 Posts
of your list, I'd go Jake the snake. CX with disc brakes with great reviews and popular following, swap out tires for some high rollers that is good for both paved and dirt/grass. Sammy slicks or Happy Mediums come to mind. I use 35c sammy slicks.

If you get into a roadie groove, put on some 25 or 28c slicks on there. It does have fender mounts, the carbon fork has been getting great reviews and its disc brakes so more stopping power on those steep fire road decents.

Also note that almost ANY CX bike is designed to be a race bike, fairly agressive fit unless you go one size up. Longer TT, higher HT and shorter stem.
Old 12-11-14, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18446 Post(s)
Liked 15,675 Times in 7,369 Posts
Surly Cross Check would likely suit you better on the road that the Straggler, which is billed as a Cross Check on steroids, and still work well on hard pack with the right tires.
Old 12-11-14, 02:24 PM

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
People seem to be missing the fact that the OP already bought a bike, so this thread is done!
Old 12-11-14, 09:12 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dr_lha
People seem to be missing the fact that the OP already bought a bike, so this thread is done!

great forum! Even when I'm done folks still want to help!