Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Newer Battery Powered bikes ? Thoughts

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-18, 04:24 PM

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

The new Road Bike Action has a list if newer battery powered bikes that attempt to hold true to the current modern form of a bicycle.
Some look like regular bikes others not so much. Not sure of the target buyers for these things as they cost $4K but it would be cool to take a normal looking bike out with a power pack and pound away on the trails.
Old 09-18-18, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Great way to get uphill KOM's

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...ssrip/p/17457/
Old 09-18-18, 05:05 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
The new Road Bike Action has a list if newer battery powered bikes that attempt to hold true to the current modern form of a bicycle.
Some look like regular bikes others not so much. Not sure of the target buyers for these things as they cost $4K but it would be cool to take a normal looking bike out with a power pack and pound away on the trails.
I strive for inclusion when it comes to cycling. All the different forms are great to see and the more the merrier in my mind. It takes all types to help gain traction and support for cycling so lowering the barriers to entry is good.

but man do I struggle to stay supportive when I see ebikes online, in magazines, or out on rides.
I dont really care if they exist, but I do dislike the idea that it would be compared to human powered cycling.

if a battery bike gets someone out into nature and exercising, then perfect.
if a battery bike allows someone to ride further and see more, then perfect.
if those people then brag about how far they rode, then thats lame.

I am glad that gravel rides, even the likely organized races, seem to clearly define ebikes as unacceptable.

as for me, if i wanted to go faster on gravel i would buy a moped or roll the windows dow in my car and drive.
I like the challenge of riding.
Old 09-18-18, 05:16 PM
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I strive for inclusion when it comes to cycling. All the different forms are great to see and the more the merrier in my mind. It takes all types to help gain traction and support for cycling so lowering the barriers to entry is good.

but man do I struggle to stay supportive when I see ebikes online, in magazines, or out on rides.
I dont really care if they exist, but I do dislike the idea that it would be compared to human powered cycling.

if a battery bike gets someone out into nature and exercising, then perfect.
if a battery bike allows someone to ride further and see more, then perfect.

if those people then brag about how far they rode, then thats lame.

I am glad that gravel rides, even the likely organized races, seem to clearly define ebikes as unacceptable.

as for me, if i wanted to go faster on gravel i would buy a moped or roll the windows dow in my car and drive.
I like the challenge of riding.
One other scenario to nod too...if someone is a racer and their SO isn't. The moped lets one get their training in, and the other keep up pace.

Granted of the one or two couples I know like that...I have half a dozen coworkers who strip out the governor and go buzzing their mopeds solo at 25MPH on bike paths labeled "No Motorized Vehicles".
Old 09-18-18, 06:39 PM

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I have a N+5 at the moment.

at the core I will always have a light race road bike, a anyroad/gravel bike, and a Mtn bike. (3) the Singlespeed thing is fun, but it is just a +1, the flat bar hybrid is fun but also just a +1

range is the limiting factor for me on e bikes. however some day, an E-bike I'll probably own. Really all depends on where I live. I can see doing a 60+ mile ride by manpower. then coming home showering, then screwing around in the evening on an e assist bike.

As long as there are e-bike, I'll never retire to a golfcart community! guaranteed!
Old 09-18-18, 08:31 PM
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
This is marketing wank at the extreme that borders on putting people in dangerous situations. Does this less physically fit partner know how to handle a bike at very high speeds? Are they used to reading the road or drafting or serving as a motor-pacer at high speeds? It's nonsense designed to sell bikes and not a practical solution to anyone's issues. The faster, more skilled and more fit person should always ride to the less so persons speed. If someone only ever really rides at 15-16 miles an hour on the flats and takes corners at 10-12 miles an hour how are they going to do at 22-23 miles per hour with cornering at essentially the same speed? Serious racers aren't going to be excited to drag along a non-racer for training and vice versa. It's ridiculous that people have somehow internalized this as a good idea.
You definitely won't be persuaded to see it from another angle. So I won't even bother.
Old 09-18-18, 10:15 PM

Bikes: Two Independent Fabrications, a Niner RLT, and a Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
A friend of mine bought one to use to scout areas for hunting. It gives him and opportunity to explore terrain he would have a difficult time getting to by pedaling alone.
Old 09-19-18, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
There's nothing new about this... kids were riding bikes with little motors when I was in high school...

Actually, if you go back even further, when someone put a motor on a bicycle - like 120 years ago - they called it a "motorcycle." Note, that it wasn't called a "combustion engine cycle" just a motorcycle. Not sure why an electric motor changes things - now they're "e-bikes." Nope. Still motorcycles or mopeds.

Yes - they can be great for some mixed fitness situations, e.g. 45-year-old cyclist wants to ride with his dad or kid, spouses riding together, etc. But the *$&@#heads who do group rides they'd never be able to hang with... and fly past the line, up hills, etc. Not sure how this will pan out - I guess bans for certain rides, or maybe the same treatment as TT bikes/bars?
Old 09-19-18, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/
Old 09-19-18, 09:30 AM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
I call them e-peds, as in, an e-moped. The contraction of moped comes from "motor pedaler", according to Wikipedia, and the early mopeds were just modified bicycles. The term "motor" doesn't specify the power source, so I don't see why switching to electrical power makes things any different.

But, sorry, a bicycle is human powered. E-"bikes" tend to have some sort of software to manage the motor assist. People will hack that and make them faster for less pedaling, or the market will offer it in increasingly higher power "assist". I've already watched someone halfheartedly spin the cranks while going up a decent hill. It was clear she wasn't putting much effort in.

Why does this matter? Well, bicycles operate in this grey area in our current road useage. They're not a motor vehicle and not a pedestrian. Allowing actual motor vehicles to fall under the class of a bicycle starts to distort things. Allowing motorized vehicles on paths previously reserved for strictly human powered transportation also starts to distort the intent.
Old 09-19-18, 10:07 AM
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I think e-bikes are fine so long as they don't mess it up for human-powered cyclists. In areas where bicycles are on the verge of bans or have significant opposition -- wilderness and national park trails, city parks, bridle paths, running/bike paths, bike lanes -- e-bikes are very likely to get us all banned. That's not good or fair. In those areas where bicycle access is in potential jeopardy, e-bikes should stay well away.
Old 09-20-18, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Earlier this month I participated in a paid 60 mile gravel ride near Boulder. Several older women attended, both on e-bikes, and neither were gravel oriented in the least.. I'd say more along the line of straight upright comfort/hybrid bikes with big cushy gel saddles. Their etiquette was atrocious, they'd just be riding side by side chatting like they were at a social meeting, blocking everyone behind them. I must have passed them a dozen times, but they'd invariably pass me on a long uphill, still blissfully chatting away and barely pedaling, only to be forced to *painfully* pass them yet again on anything downhill or technical. It was infuriating.
Old 09-20-18, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kelly.Fisher
Earlier this month I participated in a paid 60 mile gravel ride near Boulder. Several older women attended, both on e-bikes, and neither were gravel oriented in the least.. I'd say more along the line of straight upright comfort/hybrid bikes with big cushy gel saddles. Their etiquette was atrocious, they'd just be riding side by side chatting like they were at a social meeting, blocking everyone behind them. I must have passed them a dozen times, but they'd invariably pass me on a long uphill, still blissfully chatting away and barely pedaling, only to be forced to *painfully* pass them yet again on anything downhill or technical. It was infuriating.
people like that camp in the passing lane on the freeways too.

really has nothing to do with being powered. (cars or bikes)
Old 09-20-18, 09:03 PM

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
As a 44 year old man who recently got back into cycling, I view e-bikes as a way to cheat. If someone has a disability that restricts them from traditional riding I am 100% supportive. If someone is too lazy to actually pedal to the point that their legs are burning or too the point that they need to take a break, an e-bike is not going to help them any more than any other powered two wheeled vehicle will.
Old 09-21-18, 07:51 AM
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
e-bikes belong in situations where motorized vehicles have been traditionally tolerated, and pretty much nowhere else.
Old 09-21-18, 10:57 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
I got on an e mtb and was floored by how fast you can go on those things. It's pretty ridiculous how quickly you can ride climbs and flats...the thing sucked at going down.

I don't see the point unless you have some sort of disability preventing you from riding or you are a commuter who just wants an efficient way to get to work/grocery store.

When ebike riders have shown up to group rides on the road they have messed up the dynamic...that part is true.
Old 09-21-18, 11:37 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Motors

My Local does Retrofits on MTB for Hunters ..

Timber Corp. lands forbid Petrol powered bikes.
Old 09-23-18, 04:26 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
You guys from the east.... time to get with it.

https://electricbikereview.com/forum...c-bikes.24213/

Out west, Class 1 ebikes are considered by the state of California as ..... BICYCLES.

They are not considered motor vehicles.

They are not mopeds. The do not power themselves.

Why is it so bothering to you all?

You're all acting like surfer dudes, claiming the ocean as their own... no new surfers..... because their board is different? You're all being overly territorial.
Old 09-23-18, 04:57 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel

Out west, Class 1 ebikes are considered by the state of California as ..... BICYCLES.

You're all acting like surfer dudes, claiming the ocean as their own... no new surfers..... because their board is different? You're all being overly territorial.
its fundamentally different.

as mentioned earlier, I think its great if more people get out and ride. Others in this thread have also said it's great if ebikes allow more people to ride.

but its fundamentally different and as such- group rides, competitive tracking, and races all need to address the issue and should either ban ebikes outright or categorize them so clear lines are set.
Old 09-24-18, 09:24 AM

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts

"Because CA does it that way" just showing how CA has become the bully of the 50 states, always telling everyone else how to live. "Time to get with it" nobody else cares what CA thinks.

Some of the things that bothers me about these is there is no way to enforce or check what class of e-ped one is riding, because they are at most only partially human powered and because even if something is labeled as one class of e-ped, many people will modify it to provide more power than allowed. I'm fine with them as a transportation aid as long as they are recognized as a form of motor vehicle. I am NOT fine with any sort of terminology that starts to confuse them with human powered vehicles. As far as recreation is concerned, there are rec areas set out for human power, there are rec areas set out for human and/or animal power and there are rec areas set out for motorized vehicles. Vehicles with electric motors are fine to take to the places where motorized vehicles are allowed, but not fine where an area has been designated not for motorized vehicles. Redefining an existing word "bicycle" that has for a century meant a human powered vehicle to include motorized vehicle does a tremendous disservice to all existing cyclists. What new word should be used for bicycles that are actually only human powered then?
Old 09-24-18, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot

Does not compute. In this instance the e-bikes were the entire reason the situation happened in the first place. Had those riders been on regular bikes they'd have been passed by everyone who wanted to pass them and then not been seen again as they happily ambled along the course at a snails pace. Now they're on e-bikes and can continually leapfrog lots of riders as they are powered up the hill and then don't have the skills to descend at the same pace. Mixed groups like that are a mess and it's entirely the fault of the e-bikes.
hands down it is a 'RESPECT' issue. not an E bike Issue.

Their etiquette was atrocious, they'd just be riding side by side chatting like they were at a social meeting, blocking everyone behind them.
If you really wish to blame E--bikes as the issue, then Do Group rides that are beyond the range of an Ebike. cough 30-40 plus miles.
Old 09-24-18, 11:45 AM
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
...You're all acting like surfer dudes, claiming the ocean as their own... no new surfers..... because their board is different? You're all being overly territorial.
Actually I do think beaches should be closed to motorized surfboards too.
Old 09-24-18, 11:54 AM
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
If their board had a motor, this analogy might make some sense.
Old 09-24-18, 11:55 AM
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave
Actually I do think beaches should be closed to motorized surfboards too.
Whoops. Sorry. Should have read that first.
Old 09-25-18, 03:45 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Oh my, so much California hate. Just wait for the electric scooters........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.