Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Leg Length Solutions

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Leg Length Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-20, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckySailor
Hello from Winnipeg! I have a 3/4" leg discrepancy. For my first cycle tour, in 2015 I went Canada West to East, (Tour du Canada) I was concerned about the same issues. I had custom cycle shoes made by Don at D2 Shoes. Yes, its a good thing that you are sitting right now (at least I hope you are!) because they were friggin expensive. He has since sold the business. Anyhow, that shoe gave me the blue print to take a standard pair of Diadora shoes to the cobbler and he altered a $50 cycle shoe for about $100. He did as nice of a job as D2 for about $700 less. But, my guy would not have done it without seeing how it was done professionally. As for only making up half the difference, or splitting the difference, I call BS. Especially when you're that far off kilter. Don had never done a shoe like mine, but the results are fabulous. The shoes are incredibly comfortable to wear off the bike too, which is why you want to make up the whole difference on the shoe, so you're not carrying a spare pair of shoes with you everywhere, or limping because you don't have a spare pair. That'll throw out your back and neck, and who wants that friggin pain? My shoes are similar to the picture from rhm earlier in the post. Sorry, I realized after I wrote all of this that this is an older post. Hopefully you have found your way!
Did yours look any better than rhm's? Although his is mostly ugly from being ~ 3 inches high.
Old 09-28-20, 05:36 PM

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
hi. Sorry took so long to reply. You can be the judge if mine look any better. BUT, speaking for myself, I'm not in it for the fashion, I needed function. That was the most important aspect of buying the shoes. Then convenience and practicality of not carrying another pair of shoes to wear while sight seeing or stopping in for ice cream or food. My shoe size is 13-which is a very large shoe to carry an extra pair around, not to mention the weight. Speaking of weight, these weigh 2 pounds 7.5 ounces with the orthotics in them. They currently have been worn over 12,000 miles (20,000 kms), including tours in Canada to all 3 coasts.
May 2015

Sept 2020

3/4" lift on right shoe