Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Zwift Hackers Expose the Next Generation of Cycling Doping

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Zwift Hackers Expose the Next Generation of Cycling Doping

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-19, 07:13 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I love how the word doping has taken on a life of its own. No longer relegated to EPO or blood transfusions, there's motor doping, weight doping, hacker doping, altitude doping, ... Soon we'll realize that cyclists who eat a healthy, rounded diet have an advantage over everyone eating heavily processed crap out of the microwave.
I get your point. However, it’s a convenient short had that while not completely accurate conveys the basic point
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 10-17-20, 10:48 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I saw a new one last night. I was going up one of the long climbs in Watopia, doing about 11-12 virtual mph, and this guy from Taiwan gains on me and then passes me....running. He was holding a pace of 4:19 minutes/mile. I was in a very empty part of the game ("Epic KOM"), which meant that he stayed on my screen for a long time afterwards. The part I saw, he was doing his steady 4:19 miles for about 3 miles.

World-class middle-distance runners can do that on a good day. But I doubt that's what I seeing.
Old 10-17-20, 02:45 PM
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I have had runners pass me on the bonus climb to the radio tower.

But I really don't care what other people do. I know there are a lot of cheaters in Zwift. If all I cared about was winning or passing people in a group ride, I would hook up a variable speed electric motor to my cranks and win every time.

What my indoor trainer and Zwift has done for my riding over the last year far exceeded my expectations. Of course I put in the time and supplied the energy but the fact remains I'm a much better rider now thanks to my efforts during a time of the year where for me riding a bicycle outside is not possible.

As an aside, I installed power meters on my bike and did my first ride with climb today. I was curious to see how the data compares to the data I get using a Kinetic RM with InRide 3. Usually my outside cadence and HR is higher than on my trainer by a small amount. With that considered, my new power meters on average agrees with my trainer numbers however the refresh rate is much quicker than the trainer refresh. Basically I'm satisfied that my Zwift results are accurate enough for me.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 10-21-20, 12:26 PM

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Never used Zwift, but my question has been what prevents weight doping? I’m pretty sure if I can just tell it I weigh 130lbs, I’m going to win some races.
A lot of people do it especially when going after the Tron bike. Zwift will usually take a pic of you sometime in the ride and it gets auto uploaded to Strava. It's fun to do the w/kg calculation on people you know and see what weight they have put for themselves. I saw someone the other day who had put 100lbs for themselves. LOL
Old 10-26-20, 04:59 PM

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale CAAD10, Santa Cruz Cameleon, 92 Gary Fisher paragon, 94 Cannondale r400 roadie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
funny you should mention going to power meters coming from inride. also have a kinetic RM and had been quite caught up in Zwift Power and racing on the platform. when they decided to exclude ZP users from competition, I picked up a 4iii power meter and was curious to see how the ZP numbers compared to the 4iii. They were surprisingly close if not spot on. I guess Zwift had to do something to weed out all the cheaters but, inride was pretty accurate.
my kinetic RM inride unit fell apart and i use the RM as a dumb trainer with the power meter and HRM. can't justify paying $600- 1k+ for a smart trainer even though i zwift year round now. just have to anticipate when the hills come since the trainer doesn't apply any load.
cycling shouldn't cost the price on having a child, just my opinion