Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-16, 09:42 AM
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pioneer does an install of their PM on your crank (single sided) for $500. Anyone done this?

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...ters/SGY-PMLTC
Old 05-02-16, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
maybe i'm weird but i feel like it's not worth saving the $60.
Old 05-02-16, 09:57 AM
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
maybe i'm weird but i feel like it's not worth saving the $60.
Vs what? Stages? A few of us haven't had the best experience with them.
Old 05-02-16, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Harlan
Vs what? Stages? A few of us haven't had the best experience with them.
the pioneer left side meeting is only $560 for the ultegra version with a brand new arm...

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...ES+POWER+METER
Old 05-02-16, 10:27 AM
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
the pioneer left side meeting is only $560 for the ultegra version with a brand new arm...

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...ES+POWER+METER
Gotcha. I am definitely intrigued by Pioneer. They have a good track record from what I hear.
Old 05-02-16, 11:05 AM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckbelle
I'm likely looking for used, which is why I posted here. Sorry if it wasn't clear.
Those options are in the same price range as a used SRM. For context, my used PM6 SRM was $875.

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-02-16, 05:15 PM

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
back today fretting about different fit stuff (I moved on from the handlebar thing lol). I was with my wife helping her maybe get a road bike, and I again was drawn to the synapse again. i've been trying to put my finger on what I like about the synapse and a trek I rented while traveling in the fall, and I finally got around to measuring the reach and stack of my current ride to compare. As it turns out, the stack is 55cm and reach is 39. In comparing my measurements to some popular models, the stack seems to be akin to 52cm models I see now (mine is a 56cm top tube) and the reach similar to 56-58cm models I see now. Anyhow, glad to have a good frame of reference when and if I go out actually looking for a new one for myself (or at least in getting a different stem and spacers on my quill stem converter), but right now I'm kind of committed to replacing my wife's 20 year old mountain bike
Old 05-03-16, 09:44 AM

Bikes: Cervelo S5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I just got a new powermeter with compact gearing and I'm wondering how much different it is going to be coming for standard gearing. Will I notice a big difference? Its mostly flat where I live. I race mostly flat crits. Any body got any experience about which may be better or worse. I haven't put them on and tried them but though I would ask!
Old 05-03-16, 09:51 AM
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
If it is a mid compact you are getting the best of both worlds. If it's a full 34t little ring compact if there are races with extended downhills you may be at a slight disadvantage on very rare occasions. For flat crits I doubt you'll have any issues unless you can sprint at like 45mph.
Old 05-03-16, 10:24 AM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Sizzle82
So I just got a new powermeter with compact gearing and I'm wondering how much different it is going to be coming for standard gearing. Will I notice a big difference? Its mostly flat where I live. I race mostly flat crits. Any body got any experience about which may be better or worse. I haven't put them on and tried them but though I would ask!
I'd stay with a 52T (mid-compact) or bigger. This is assuming you're running an 11T. If not then you should run an 11T regardless. The thing about big gears is that when you can use them you can really use them. Think massive tailwind sprint, slight downhill, big downhill, etc. At the same time if you're doing flat crits you'll rarely if ever use the small ring. I did much of a season using the big ring just as an experiment (a broken cable stop for the front derailleur instigated the experiment). At the time I was still training outside. I also never shift into the small ring in crits because there's a chance of dropping the chain. If I never shift the front it reduces the changes of a dropped chain so I don't use the small ring. I have to guess it's been may be 10 years since I've been in the small ring intentionally while in a race (I'm quick to drop it down once I get shelled).

Also, as you fatigue, you can't spin as fast, so the whole "just spin faster" argument starts losing some steam in real life. As proof just do some alternating 30s intervals, first in a 53x15, then a 53x12, then the 15, then the 12, etc. You'll soon find that spinning the 15 is really hard and turning over the 12 seems positively easy. When you are trying to be as conservative as possible and the field is moving along at 38 mph and you're massively sheltered and you want to move up, spinning just a few rpm slower is super useful.

Keep in mind that BMX racers do north of 2000w peaks, averaging 1000w for 40s races, but they're not going super fast. I mean, okay, they're doing jumps and stuff, but a road rider would easily be going 45 mph with that power. They're doing 30 or 35 mph. The thing is their cadence is absolutely sick, like 160-200 rpm, and those are on really long cranks (to get better start gate acceleration). Once they get up to speed much of their power is going into moving their leg mass up and down. You don't want to be doing BMX racer stuff on a road bike. Imagine racing a crit with an absurdly low gear that still allows you to go 25-30 mph, like a 39x21.

Having said all that I'll offer a counterpoint to my own argument. In one flat training crit, when my shifter boss broke, I found myself in the small ring (39T). My top gear was a 39x11 (53x15 equivalent, another reason to use an 11T in case you have front derailleur issues, and even if you have rear derailleur problems like the cable breaks you can alternate between a 39x11 and a 53x11). I couldn't go with the big moves but I won the sprint out of my group. The guy that really tried to get me was running a 55x11 and normally beats me but I jumped really early and took him off guard. I knew I couldn't bank on a massive jump due to no big gear therefore I had to go early. This is the same tactic that most Juniors use when racing Seniors, they have to go early because in a straight up drag race their 52x14 puts them at a disadvantage compared to a 53x11 or 12. However, by using a smaller biggest gear you eliminate some tactical possibilities.

Overall, to keep your tactical possibilities as open as possible, I'd get a standard chainring set or, at smallest, a mid-compact.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-03-16, 10:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your answers very much appreciated. I a running a quarq with standard gearing right now 53-39 10 spd 11-25, my deal is I don't make a lot of power (FTP 220) but I am a little guy (145 lbs) and I like to spin. I find myself only using very little of my cassette when I am in the big ring. So I was hoping to go mid compact so I bought power2max with 110 bcd with compact rings in hopes of switching to 52-38 but it looks like the tool I need to remove the cranks to change rings is $60, so I was debating trying compact!!
Old 05-03-16, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
It looks like the tool I need to remove the cranks to change rings is $60, so I was debating trying compact!!
What tool is that?

Depending on the chainring bolts, you either need a 5mm and 6mm allen wrench or the little Park Tool chainring nut wrench, which costs about $5.

And chainrings can be swapped without pulling the cranks off the bike.
Old 05-03-16, 11:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
What tool is that?

Depending on the chainring bolts, you either need a 5mm and 6mm allen wrench or the little Park Tool chainring nut wrench, which costs about $5.

And chainrings can be swapped without pulling the cranks off the bike.
Its the lock ring tool. On the classic version you have to remove te drive side crank arm to remove the big ring. I can rove the chainring bolts no problem but the ring will not come off without removing the arm.
Old 05-03-16, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Its the lock ring tool. On the classic version you have to remove te drive side crank arm to remove the big ring. I can rove the chainring bolts no problem but the ring will not come off without removing the arm.
I see. You want to remove the spider from the crankarms.
Old 05-03-16, 01:00 PM

By "ring" (bold) you mean the spider, as @shovelhd said?

If you have a compact I think you should be able to replace just the rings? I think I'm not getting the whole picture because you shouldn't need to remove the spider to replace the rings. If you bought the 110 BCD Power2Max spider then I'd say go with the 52/38 rings.

Did you buy just the Power2Max spider?
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-03-16, 01:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No unless I am wrong on the Classic version I cannot move the large chainrnring because of the way the battery cover sits. So you have to remove the crank arm from the spider to physically remove the large ring.
Old 05-03-16, 01:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No I did not just buy the spider I bought the older version of the Power2max with the big battery compartment that sits over the big ring.
Old 05-03-16, 01:33 PM

No unless I am wrong on the Classic version I cannot move the large chainrnring because of the way the battery cover sits. So you have to remove the crank arm from the spider to physically remove the large ring.
Based on this it looks like you don't need to remove the spider, just the battery cover?

Power2Max Power Meter In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker
Old 05-03-16, 01:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well maybe I will try it againI couldn't see how I was gonna get the Opraxis ring off with breaking something.
Old 05-03-16, 06:46 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
Could someone with both a SRM and an Edge 520 confirm the following:

-Whether auto-zero can be turned off. I assume this function still exists in the latest firmware?

-Whether the unit can read battery info from SRM

thanks in advance!
quick update, so Edge 520 can indeed turn off auto-zero on SRM.

At least for my SRM units (firmwares updated in fall of 2013 and January of 2015, respectively), no battery voltage info is provided
Old 05-03-16, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rotor 3D issue ... have the 24mm crankset on my TT bike and the non-drive side arm keeps working itself loose. I've sent it back to Rotor and they inspected and replaced the pinch bolt so it SHOULD be fine, but it's not Even took it into the shop and had them tighten it up, yet it still works itself loose.

Sequence for installing that I've used is:

-put drive side on,
-put o-ring on,
-back pinch bolt back about two rotations from non-tension and slide non-drive side arm on,
-use pre-load to snug everything together (~1-2 Nm)
-tighten pinch bolt to ~5 Nm

-ride bike

Anyone else run into this issue?

Also ... regarding the rotor issue discussed above, I believe you either need to remove the spider with the rotor tool or figure out how to work the chainring around the battery cover. I have the type S on mine and went that route to avoid chainring issues.
Old 05-04-16, 03:13 AM

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do one more thing as shown in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrEXRcZkn34

Originally Posted by hack
Rotor 3D issue ... have the 24mm crankset on my TT bike and the non-drive side arm keeps working itself loose. I've sent it back to Rotor and they inspected and replaced the pinch bolt so it SHOULD be fine, but it's not Even took it into the shop and had them tighten it up, yet it still works itself loose.

Sequence for installing that I've used is:

-put drive side on,
-put o-ring on,
-back pinch bolt back about two rotations from non-tension and slide non-drive side arm on,
-use pre-load to snug everything together (~1-2 Nm)
-tighten pinch bolt to ~5 Nm

-tighten preload bolt

-ride bike

Anyone else run into this issue?

Also ... regarding the rotor issue discussed above, I believe you either need to remove the spider with the rotor tool or figure out how to work the chainring around the battery cover. I have the type S on mine and went that route to avoid chainring issues.
Old 05-04-16, 07:42 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Anyone have any experience with Williams carbon clinchers, and specifically the 58/85 combo? Been eyeing these for a while and am hoping to pull the trigger on a set of wheels in the next couple of months
Old 05-04-16, 10:47 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have the Williams 58s, can't speak to the 85s. They're great wheels. They really want to roll and hold speed better than any other wheels I've ridden. Have never needed truing despite racing them on the roads of VeloPromoLand. Lots of guys in NorCal ride them and have never heard a complaint about them.
Old 05-04-16, 11:51 AM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
... roads of VeloPromoLand.
I love their roads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.