Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Paul E-lever.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 01:17 PM
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the cost of a Bacardi 151 Rum punch and sixteen lap dances, that thing is butt ugly.

Those card suites are like bad spring break tattoos....

無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持
Old 04-17-07, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by me thinkst
...and how do you know this?

judging from the pivot location it looks like a solid 2 finger lever. Paul has tons of experience with brake levers and generally isn't known for building ****.

so, have YOU used one???
*Wasn't* known for building ****. However the market for high priced cnced stuff is pretty small these days so he seems to be left with making fancy looking crap for hipsters. Note the crankset and this brake lever.

I've explained before why I think this lever is absolute **** and why I don't have to use one to be sure of that. For a quick overview look at the first page of this thread.
Old 04-17-07, 01:23 PM
mofo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^ snob who has not used one.
Old 04-17-07, 01:28 PM
Mexican Food Enthusiast

Bikes: surly Karate Monkey and Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret
However the market for high priced cnced stuff is pretty small these days so he seems to be left with making fancy looking crap for hipsters.
Did a "hipster" kill a family member of yours? It seems like every third post of yours is railing about "hipsters"

I've explained before why I think this lever is absolute **** and why I don't have to use one to be sure of that.
Awesome! I've never used one but value my opinion because I say so. And I hate hipsters! You must have been the president of the debate team in high school.
Old 04-17-07, 01:37 PM
fuelled by vodka

Bikes: Serotta Nove, Bob Jackson Pista, Cannondale CAA8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it.

The clamp size is 23.8mm btw, so it fits Nitto bars fine right up to the stem (how close depends on how wide the stem fitting thing is).
Old 04-17-07, 01:39 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Burrito Eater
Did a "hipster" kill a family member of yours? It seems like every third post of yours is railing about "hipsters"

Awesome! I've never used one but value my opinion because I say so. And I hate hipsters! You must have been the president of the debate team in high school.
No but certain products main market is hipsters. Such products tend to be incredibly expensive, poor performing, and instantly recognizable. Unfortunately paul comp who used to make really nice stuff seems to be adapting to the dwindling market for cnced parts by creating ornate crap for hipsters.

I'm actually suprised that those ****ty cranks appeal to them since they seem to be more a long the lines of PIs "otis" shirt as far as aesthetics go. I guess if you charge enough anything can become a status symbol though.

Either way every complaint I have about these levers is clear merely from experience with different brake levers and looking at them. No need to waste $50.
Old 04-17-07, 01:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dutret, you're like a friggin' mad lib. Just substitute a few words and all your posts are the same.

Saaayyy, you're really a robot aren't you? This is some kind of MIT sociology experiment, eh. You respond in a certain manner then the grad students see how many people mirror that response, then you continue right up the ladder. And you never begin a new post.

Clever. Destroying the internet just like they did MTV...
Old 04-17-07, 01:53 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the pope
Dutret, you're like a friggin' mad lib. Just substitute a few words and all your posts are the same.
I'm pretty sure that could be said about this entire forum.
Old 04-17-07, 02:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That may be but I still think you're connected to WHITEY.
Old 04-17-07, 02:48 PM
señor member

Bikes: Malvern Path Racer, Schwinn LeTour, Follis, Bridgestone 400 (RIP), concord 2sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one about two weeks ago, and I think it's pretty rad. Looks cool, feels solid (not a ton of play you see with cheaper levers), mounts close to the stem, works with Major Taylor bars and sticks out far enough that it doesn't mess with the drops.

I'm mean, if you gonna put down cash on a Kashimax TT protector or friggin' double toe straps, $50 is that much.

My only complaint is that the little "c" part can be a pain to get a good grip on, but it's actually not that bad.
Old 04-17-07, 02:52 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seaneee
My only complaint is that the little "c" part can be a pain to get a good grip on, but it's actually not that bad.

Gee whad'ya know.
Old 04-17-07, 03:04 PM

Bikes: 1985 Bridgestone 450, 1992 Trek 930 (SS Conversion), 2005 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one about two weeks ago, and I think it's pretty rad. Looks cool, feels solid (not a ton of play you see with cheaper levers), mounts close to the stem, works with Major Taylor bars and sticks out far enough that it doesn't mess with the drops.

I'm mean, if you gonna put down cash on a Kashimax TT protector or friggin' double toe straps, $50 is that much.

So the pluses are that it looks cool, the minus is that it doesn't really work all that well...
Old 04-17-07, 03:07 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmy_jazz
So the pluses are that it looks cool, the minus is that it doesn't really work all that well...
there's a connection to track bikes/track parts as a whole here...but i can't quite figure it out
Old 04-17-07, 03:34 PM
señor member

Bikes: Malvern Path Racer, Schwinn LeTour, Follis, Bridgestone 400 (RIP), concord 2sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, you guys are a bunch of f***ers. I swear, you are so literal.

I said it could be a pain, I DIDN'T say that it does not work. I'm sorry that I didn't clarify myself, it took some getting used to but overall I really like it.

The nicest thing is the size and clearance of the lever.

And yes, it does look cool. I'm a f***ing art director, of course I look at the aesthetics of something. I don't think it's a bad thing to like how something looks.
Old 04-17-07, 03:35 PM
i believe in me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Really expensive stuff, and lame/nonexistent customer service."

i've dealt with paul many times regarding various things about cranks and hubs and each time i got a response back from him within a day or two, and when i've called and talked to him personally he's been extremely friendly and helpful.

i dunno bout these brakes though. the design of the lever doesn't look that ergonomic. i'm sure it's well built and will last forever unlike some of the cheaper cross levers i've destroyed, but yeah - the c-shaped lever is questionable. i'd have to ride with it before passing judgement though.

i've been riding paul hubs for two years just about every day on nyc streets and havent had any problems. they heavy duty hubs that i'm not worried about breaking a flange on. can't say that bout the level hubs i have.

i've been riding paul cranks for coming up on a year and i ****ing love em. they're stiffer than my 75's and feel great. i love the way they look, although i'd prefer them without the playing card stuff. as far as the proprietary chainring set-up goes, i like it. riding nyc streets daily in the past i've tended to have a problem with loosening chainring bolts, and i haven't had to deal with this at all with the pauls.

there's also a lot to say for supporting independent, small, american businesses which is one of the primary reasons i've gone with paul stuff in the past and the main reason i went with the cranks.
Old 04-17-07, 04:08 PM
succumbs to errata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SWEET ****ING JESUS! Someone who's actually used the lever finally speaks up! Thank you, seaneee.

Ok, I'm not worried about that. I've always used the smallest 1-finger levers possible on all of my bikes. However, I just realized that they'll not work where I want them to, right next to the stem. (Salsa bars, have the "bulge" for the stem clamping area)

Thanks for your input.

Any yes, while they may be expensive, they're made in America by a small company. I like and support that.
Old 04-17-07, 04:26 PM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by goldener
huh. ok. i would think most would want their brake lever directly next to the stem, as that seems to be the prevaling fashion.

talk about a stupid design.
Oh the irony.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 04-17-07, 08:18 PM
Local 1212

Bikes: Moser Track, Colnago Dream Track, Merckx Roadie and Rossin Bar Bike

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Not mounted on as of the moment but here's some pics of the paul lever on some nitto bullhorns

Old 04-17-07, 08:30 PM
I scream for ice cream.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too rich for my blood and I mount my brake lever on the bulge so I can get the most hand positions out of my bars. Works fine if you rock 25.4s or risers I guess. Sucks for the 26.0 and 31.8 crowd though.
Old 04-17-07, 09:37 PM

Bikes: Mino Denti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wait these will fit 25.4? how about the goldfingers what size do they fit?
Old 04-17-07, 09:53 PM
señor member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Goldfingers fit 26.0, but they are supposed to come with a shim.

EDIT: I was wrong, they fit 25.4 with a shim for 22

Last edited by seaneee; 04-18-07 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-17-07, 10:06 PM
legalize bikes

Bikes: too damn many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1. overpriced cnced aluminum parts. Used to be highly desireable but now pretty much outdated and only worthwhile for those times when you need something outdated(like cantis).
can you really take anyone seriously that makes an outrageous claim that cantis are outdated?
get real, dutret.
Old 04-17-07, 10:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by @work
Not mounted on as of the moment but here's some pics of the paul lever on some nitto bullhorns
I don't know, I just don't like the looks of it. If you're limited to blocky forms because you're on a CNC, I'd rather see that limitation used as a style.

Also I don't really like how the lever is silver but the rest is black. Do they do anodized stuff?
Old 04-17-07, 11:20 PM
señor member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that's the only one that Paul sells online. The shop up the street gets prototypes and special runs of paul stuff to sorta test the water. They had five different colors. All silver, gold ano, polished black ano, silver/black (above), and flat black anno (the one I bought). By far, my favs were the solid color ones.
Old 04-18-07, 12:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I liked them sooo much i bought 4, 3 on the left and 1 on the right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.