Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Old Fashion Pedal Power -- No More

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old Fashion Pedal Power -- No More

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-18, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
It’s likely an e-bike is cleaner than a human powered bike. Humans are not very efficient and generate significant CO2 when riding.
My understanding is you still need to breathe while riding an ebike.
Old 03-09-18, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked 1,311 Times in 755 Posts
What I think is funny, is that some here seem to misunderstand what an E-assist bike actually is. With an e- assist, you still have to pedal, and you still get a workout, you just go faster with a given effort.

Though I don't have one, the local bike shop here let test one extensively, not because I was going to buy one, but they too wanted to learn more about it and wanted a review. The one I tested was from Specialized. The ride was incredible. When I first got on the bike, I was amazed at the acceleration. i got up to speed very quickly, but still had to make the effort. I live in Western Pennsylvania where it is very hilly. The assist worked well on the hills. It was nice, but again, you still had to make the effort, you just went faster.

If I had a very long commute, in a very hilly area, I think it would be great. You could cut the commute time down considerably, making more time at home for the family, and at the same time, have the same benefit of the exercise.

They are not mopeds, as some have suggested. I am sure some allow for power without pedaling, but those are not e-assist bikes.
Old 03-09-18, 12:33 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I will grant that you will have some benefit of exercise, but the same? No.

The effect of exercise (training stress, if you want to be technical) is basically effort multiplied by time. If you exert the same effort for a shorter time, you'll have less exercise effect. If you exert less effort for the same time, you'll have less exercise effect. You're getting help (that's the whole point of these things, right?), and so you're not getting "the same benefit of the exercise."
Old 03-09-18, 12:42 PM

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

The effect of exercise (training stress, if you want to be technical) is basically effort multiplied by time. If you exert the same effort for a shorter time, you'll have less exercise effect. If you exert less effort for the same time, you'll have less exercise effect. You're getting help (that's the whole point of these things, right?), and so you're not getting "the same benefit of the exercise."
I don't think anyone said it's the same... In my case it's 70% my effort per Km and 30% less effort by time, as I see it when I use the assist on level 1, which I do 99% of the time. and... most times I use the re-gen and that means pedaling going downhill too.
Old 03-09-18, 12:55 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by 350htrr
I don't think anyone said it's the same... In my case it's 70% my effort per Km and 30% less effort by time, as I see it when I use the assist on level 1, which I do 99% of the time. and... most times I use the re-gen and that means pedaling going downhill too.
Post 28.

Originally Posted by phughes
What I think is funny, is that some here seem to misunderstand what an E-assist bike actually is. With an e- assist, you still have to pedal, and you still get a workout, you just go faster with a given effort.

Though I don't have one, the local bike shop here let test one extensively, not because I was going to buy one, but they too wanted to learn more about it and wanted a review. The one I tested was from Specialized. The ride was incredible. When I first got on the bike, I was amazed at the acceleration. i got up to speed very quickly, but still had to make the effort. I live in Western Pennsylvania where it is very hilly. The assist worked well on the hills. It was nice, but again, you still had to make the effort, you just went faster.

If I had a very long commute, in a very hilly area, I think it would be great. You could cut the commute time down considerably, making more time at home for the family, and at the same time, have the same benefit of the exercise.

They are not mopeds, as some have suggested. I am sure some allow for power without pedaling, but those are not e-assist bikes.
My point wasn't to pick on phughes or to put down ebikes, but there seems to be an ongoing fallacy that provides the same or nearly the same exercise benefit as a non-powered bike, and that's obviously untrue.

An additional 100w is a huge boost. If you've never ridden a bike with a power meter, I'd encourage you to borrow one. Ride for 5 minutes at 200w. Then ride for 5 minutes at 300w. It's immense.

Last edited by caloso; 03-09-18 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-09-18, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked 1,311 Times in 755 Posts

If it allows you to do a 25 mile one way commute instead of taking the car because of time, then you will get the benefit of exercise.
Old 03-09-18, 01:06 PM

If it allows you to do a 25 mile one way commute instead of taking the car because of time, then you will get the benefit of exercise.
Sorry. I must have misinterpreted your post. I thought you were comparing the exercise benefit of ebike v. regular bike, not ebike v. car.
Old 03-09-18, 01:19 PM

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Post 28.

My point wasn't to pick on phughes or to put down ebikes, but there seems to be an ongoing fallacy that provides the same or nearly the same exercise benefit as a non-powered bike, and that's obviously untrue.

An additional 100w is a huge boost. If you've never ridden a bike with a power meter, I'd encourage you to borrow one. Ride for 5 minutes at 200w. Then ride for 5 minutes at 300w. It's immense.
That is true. What most don't seem to understand here, is that an assist E-Bike measures your input to the pedaling effort and gives you in my case 35% added to my lets say 100 watts so what I get is 135 watts at the wheel, for me to get 100 watts of assist I would need to put in almost 300 watts of pedaling effort, not going to happen.
Old 03-09-18, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

EXACTOMUNDO- I live jus south of Morgantown in WV and my 17mil each way commute has over 1500 ft of climb- its hard to do that more than once or twice a week and still have family time. the Ebike bike allows me to bike commute more often
Old 03-09-18, 01:32 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

ill grant you per instance of biking its not the same as a regular ride, but if it allows you to use the car less and exercise more then the benefits are still there. and nothing stops you from going all out and training hard, you just move through space faster
Old 03-09-18, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
My understanding is you still need to breathe while riding an ebike.
Of course. Just not as much. Humans are roughly 18-24% efficient at converting food into energy.
Old 03-09-18, 01:37 PM

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The problem with E-Bikes is that 20 MPH is too slow to ride in traffic when there are alternatives, so the best/safest place for them is on the bike paths and bike lanes. That may change if speeds are increased to 30 or 40 MPH (which is probably too fast for the E-Bikes). Perhaps we'll see a split between slow speed E-Bikes and high speed E-Motorcycles.

One thing the the Italians did was increase the driving age. I don't remember exactly what it was, but perhaps between 14 and 17 or so, one could get a moped license, but not an automobile license.
That's basically what I'm advocating: keep the models/versions allowed on bike paths to a very low limit (10 or 15mph), and make anything faster go on the roads. There are already numerous E-motorcycles and E-scooters on the market that perform well enough to ride in regular traffic with no issues at all.

And yes, in Italy the minimum age for a <50cc scooter is low (thought it was 15 but maybe it's 14), and it's a great system. Kids have freedom to move around without being overly dangerous to others. They even started making 50cc "micro-cars" now, and you see quite a few of them around.

Originally Posted by General Geoff
An e-bike going ~20mph, can usually break 500mpg equivalent energy usage. Even if you get the electricity from a coal plant, that coal plant (due to economies of scale) is still far more thermodynamically efficient than a 30 or 40 year old moped engine.
Not disputing your numbers, because I really don't know, but where do you get your data? I wasn't aware that electricity generation was that far superior in terms of efficiency.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
and it's going to be pretty hard for anything to compete with a 2-stroke for nasty exhaust!
Two-stroke engines have come a long way recently, with direct injecting making them quite clean. Besides, some people actually like the smell (and the scream) of two-stroke engines.
Old 03-09-18, 01:39 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Of course. Just not as much. Humans are roughly 18-24% efficient at converting food into energy.

Id love to see someone do the math; human powered ride energy use
vs ebike / human efficiency with the production of electricity taken into acct
Old 03-09-18, 01:43 PM

About the same length as my commute. However, I drive 10 miles and ride 15 each way. Pretty sure the 15 on a human powered bike is more exercise than 25 on a battery powered bike.
Old 03-09-18, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
About the same length as my commute. However, I drive 10 miles and ride 15 each way. Pretty sure the 15 on a human powered bike is more exercise than 25 on a battery powered bike.
Not for me. I have an electric Copenhagen wheel I use once or twice a week depending on how tired I am. Without the wheel I burn 1500-1600 kJ commuting. With the wheel I do the same distance but the time is less so my energy drops to around 1200kJ. Another way to look at it, without the wheel I burn about 38Cals/mile. With the wheel it drops to 30 Cals/mi.

I pedal the same way whether or not I have the wheel on the bike. I just go a little faster with the wheel.
Old 03-09-18, 01:51 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

but its a lot more than sitting in a sedan for 25 miles
Old 03-09-18, 01:57 PM

When I ride 25 miles and use 35% assist I would have actually pedalled 16.25 miles...

EDIT; and yes, if I used 75% assist I would have only pedalled 6.25 Miles and you would have pedalled more riding less...

Last edited by 350htrr; 03-09-18 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-09-18, 02:00 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I ride 25 miles and use 35% assist I would have actually pedalled 16.25 miles...

MATHS A BIATCH AINT IT
Old 03-09-18, 02:05 PM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
This is a big deal in certain parts of Germany, especially the Rhein Main Valley.

Cycleways already existed in the area like these:

That might be fine for a Sunday loop with your grandmother or the kids, but it looks like hell for actual commuting, running errands, or other applications where you don't have limitless time to deal with walkers, meandering cyclists, etc.
If you're going to move people to bikes, you need infrastructure that actually accommodates a decent volume of bicycle traffic at a usable speed.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 03-09-18, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by nasabiker
MATHS A BIATCH AINT IT
Sure is. If I was using 100% battery power on the uphills, 50% on the flats and no power on the downhills, my average over the ride would be what?
Old 03-09-18, 02:10 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
That might be fine for a Sunday loop with your grandmother or the kids, but it looks like hell for actual commuting, running errands, or other applications where you don't have limitless time to deal with walkers, meandering cyclists, etc.
If you're going to move people to bikes, you need infrastructure that actually accommodates a decent volume of bicycle traffic at a usable speed.

agreed, right now most places bike accommodation is a afterthought planned by people who don't ride, they wouldn't put cars on a narrow road like that with out split travel lanes....etc. etc.
Old 03-09-18, 02:12 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sure is. If I was using 100% battery power on the uphills, 50% on the flats and no power on the downhills, my average over the ride would be what?

depends on what motor, your hills, your distance, your personal effort, and would you have originally only driven it then well ..nevermind I'm buying a Subaru cuz ebikes are stupid
Old 03-09-18, 02:13 PM

EDIT; and yes, if I used 75% assist I would have only pedalled 6.25 Miles and you would have pedalled more riding less...
That assumes that power demand and, by extension, exercise benefits were linear with distance. (Spoiler alert: they're not.)

Last edited by caloso; 03-09-18 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-09-18, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by nasabiker
depends on what motor, your hills, your distance, your personal effort, and would you have originally only driven it then well ..nevermind I'm buying a Subaru cuz ebikes are stupid
You’re the rocket scientist. Figure it out. If you are using full battery power to climb, then it’s way higher than 35%, even if you are putting in some effort.
Old 03-09-18, 02:24 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
well if I cared to do the math- at no point did you specify how much is hill, how much is flat, what the profile of the commute is etc..

but I don't really care to so let me go buy a Subaru for my commute becuz ebikes are less exercise than a normal one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.