Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Planetbike Blinky Superflash

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 10:05 PM
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know there was a long Superflash v Cateye thread, but searching through I could not find a review of the Superflash so here is mine:

Based on recommendations here I wanted a Superflash for my new commuter rig. So, I trucked on down to the LBS where they do sell some planetbike stuff, but they had never stocked them. After the Manager checked with the Rep. and got some shipped (they ended up ordering a whole case) I picked mine up today for $24.00 (Cheaper than Amazon after shipping).

Sorry I did not take any picks before mounting, but here are some pics of the mounted light and the extra adapter that comes with it to mount to it to a smaller frame piece.

The first thing that really struck me about the light was how small it is! I was thinking, "That's it?"

The next pic shows the smaller adapter that comes with it to mount it on smaller frame pieces if you wish, but as you can see I mounted mine on my seatpost.

Here you can kind of see the plastic tab sticking down from behind the light that allows the light to be removed quickly if i am using my rack or if I wish to take it with me when going into a store. What is left on back of the light when removed from the mount is like a little belt clip to hook it too a trunk bag, etc.

This pic kind of shows the mounts come with 2 strips of different size rubber material to keep the light in place and take up some slack if the mounts are somewhat big (I am using both on this setup.)

The light is crazy ridiculous bright, and I blinded myself in the LBS by looking right at it. There is only 2 modes (full on or blinky), but there is really no need for anything more. The complaint I have heard about this light is that there is little light to the side which I can confirm is very true. The light is very, very bright to the rear, but offers NO light to the sides.

Here is a video of the light in my dark apartment from about 12':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc0TPyzBgxw

Here is one from about 100 meters:
https://video.google.com/videoplay?do...64651690&hl=en

CONCLUSION: Awesome light for great price. I will probably buy another when I get a chance, and run them on the chain or seat stays.
Old 11-28-06, 10:25 PM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Based on the recommendations of our Canadian neighbors, I got one from MEC in Toronto for $14.95 CDN.

If you have the other PB blinkies that are the same shape and uses the same mounts (like I do), I just pulled it out of the box and put it on the mount that was already on my bike. I should've bought two.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 11-29-06, 11:24 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm running two on my commuter - one on the seatpost, and one on the left seat stay. I run it on flash mode whenever I commute, regardless of whether or not it's dark.

My only complaint is the "notched" adjuster for aiming the light up and down ("pitch" is the proper term). Depending on the angle of what you've mounted it to, it may not be possible to orient the light exactly parallel to the ground, resulting in the light being aimed a little too high, or a little too low.

Despite that complaint, the Superflash is a very good inexpensive light. A week after I bought mine, a co-worker commented that he could see the light from nearly 100 meters back, even though I was riding towards the sun (which had only been up about 1 hour).
Old 11-29-06, 12:55 PM
Commuter hits the trail.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I blinded myself and the LBS owner when we turned it on for the first time. I requested them and before I got to the shop when they got them in someone already bought one! People love these lights and hear about them everywhere.

I also was able to trick my manager into blinding himself as well.

I have flashed it at the kid (who loves it) the wife, (who loves the safety, but hates it in her eyes) and the extended family (who were partially impressed but don't ride(except my dad who thought it was awesome. ).)
Old 11-29-06, 12:58 PM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I have 2 on my rear rack. Another guy has pulled me over on the trail to ask me about them, he was intrigued. My fave LBS has started stocking them, at the full $28US sticker price.
Old 11-29-06, 01:18 PM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I got one and use it on my helmet now.
I wish I had gotten more.
It is fairly directional, by that I mean not just lacking side visibility, but the 1/2W LED beam is fairly narrow, so aim is important with this light.

Just for fun I'm gonna bring it on my night ride today, but I expect I'll be asked to turn it off quickly in the paceline . So I am also bringing an older dimmer rear light too. It would be nice if one of the modes was without the 1/2W for this very reason.

Al
Old 11-29-06, 01:32 PM
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Nice Gel saddle...
Old 11-29-06, 01:33 PM
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Just for fun I'm gonna bring it on my night ride today, but I expect I'll be asked to turn it off quickly in the paceline . So I am also bringing an older dimmer rear light too. It would be nice if one of the modes was without the 1/2W for this very reason.

Al
If you leave the mount just a little loose, you can easily reach back and tilt the light up or down a few notches.
Old 11-29-06, 01:57 PM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
If you leave the mount just a little loose, you can easily reach back and tilt the light up or down a few notches.
Mine is clipped to helmet - actually one of the reasons I am bringing it tonight is to ask others if it aims correctly. I have a LD-1000 on seattube which already some folks say is too bright in paceline (that was the old dim light I was talking about above, LD1000 is not really dim by any measure until you put it next to the superflash.)

Al
Old 11-29-06, 02:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have it on the back of my helmet and it points down a bit. I like that as it gets darker as it lights up my high vis jacket. My back flashes red constantly.
Old 11-29-06, 07:29 PM
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should be getting mine in the mail tomorrow.

I told my LBS about it, but they couldn't order one. They asked me to bring it in to show it to them...so I'm gonna.

I can barely wait!
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
Old 11-29-06, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Excellent! Thank you DeputyJones. I've been planning to get one or two of these guys, but have never really gotten a sense of what they looked like in action. The videos were very helpful. The small...large...small...large blinking pattern is very attention getting.

Seeing the mounting is also helpful. Having two mounts (seatpost and stay) means I can put one mount on each of my bikes and transfer it over easily. Or buy two lights and transfer BOTH lights between two bikes.

Thanks for the "hands-on" demonstration and photos.
Old 11-30-06, 07:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own an LD1000, but I've been really impressed by the PB Superflash, especially for the price. I may get one to helmet-mount.
Old 11-30-06, 10:23 PM
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got mine in today!!!

I'm surprised I don't need a permit for it. Crazy.
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
Old 11-30-06, 11:04 PM
thunder in your heart.

Bikes: 5 bikes of various stature.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Superflash is definitely too bright for group riding, even in the daytime. When riding in groups, I bring along my Planet Bike Blinky 7, which is the exact same shape as the Superflash and fits the same mount. Then, for riding home, I switch back to the Superflash.
Old 11-30-06, 11:10 PM
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I too drank the Kool Aid.
Old 11-30-06, 11:16 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SingingSabre
I got mine in today!!!

I'm surprised I don't need a permit for it. Crazy.
I just received my 5th SuperFlash today...two for me (one on seatpost and one on seat stay), one for my daughter, one for my girlfriend, and one for my ex-fiance (and next door neighbor...it's a long story ).