Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Patentcad's Climbing Secrets

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-07, 07:52 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

It is with continuous amusement that I read threads here about 'how can I climb better' replete with hand wringing and teeth gnashing over gear ratios, compact cranks, lighter bikes, etc.

Allow me to reveal the secrets:

A) Lose a few pounds

B) Do interval training/including hill repeats

It's that simple. Power to weight ratio. More power/less weight = better climbing.

I'm training for an uphill TT in early May. 5.5 mile course, 1200' vertical gain. That's about a 25 minute ride for me I'd guess (the best 2/3's do it in 21 mins or so). I'm hoping for <25 mins and a placing in the 45+ category, but we'll see. I'm not a great climber, but I can tell you that after a couple of weeks of intervals and losing weight I'm feeling better going uphill already.

• I do hill repeats on a 1.5 mile climb. 4x on Tuesday, that's about a 9-10 minute interval. The great thing about hill intervals is that it puts you into that LT (lactic threshhold) zone when you do them, if you're not putting out the watts on flat intervals, you might not get there. You DO get there on this hill. So that's about 40 mins. in the LT hurt locker on Tuesdays. I will be ramping that up to 6x (or about 60 mins. total in the zone) within a week or so.

• As I lose weight my ability to stay seated on longer portions of climbs improves. That keeps my HR down. That helps me climb harder. Noticed that on this morning's ride already. Very cool feeling when that starts to happen.

My RHR (resting HR) was 46 this morning. If I can get my body weight down to <166 and my RHR to <42 I hope to be able to do well at that TT.

Again, I'm not a good climber by racer standards, but I do love it. And I'm looking forward to that TT, if only to get a quantifiable fitness test. It's a tremendous training motivator. Skipped the ice cream last night. I'm MUCH more afraid of that TT than I am of not eating so much over the next 6 weeks.

The best part about improving your climbing abilty? It generally makes ANY type of cycling less painful. But it does hurt to get there. Figure that one out.

Shhhh. Don't tell anyone. If this top secret info gets out it could be curtains for us all. Some of you might worry more about what you're eating for dinner tonight than whether you have a 25 or a 28 on your rear cluster. God forbid.

By the way this in no way means I shouldn't be driving you all crazy with my hankering for Zipp 404 tubular wheels. That's DIFFERENT than a compact crankset. I'm sure you understand.
Old 03-23-07, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
It is with continuous amusement that I read threads here about 'how can I climb better' replete with hand wringing and teeth gnashing over gear ratios, compact cranks, lighter bikes, etc.

A)
Lose a few pounds

It's that simple. Power to weight ratio. More power/less weight = better climbing.

I'm training for an uphill TT in early May. 5.5 mile course, 1200' vertical gain. That's about a 25 minute ride for me I'd guess (the best 2/3's do it in 21 mins or so). I'm hoping for <25 mins and a placing in the 45+ category, but we'll see. I'm not a great climber, but I can tell you that after a couple of weeks of intervals and losing weight I'm feeling better going uphill already.

• I do hill repeats on a 1.5 mile climb. 4x on Tuesday, that's about a 9-10 minute interval. The great thing about hill intervals is that it puts you into that LT (lactic threshhold) zone when you do them, if you're not putting out the watts on flat intervals, you might not get there. You DO get there on this hill. So that's about 40 mins. in the LT hurt locker on Tuesdays. I will be ramping that up to 6x (or about 60 mins. total in the zone) within a week or so.

• As I lose weight my ability to stay seated on longer portions of climbs improves. That keeps my HR down. That helps me climb harder. Noticed that on this morning's ride already. Very cool feeling when that starts to happen.

My RHR (resting HR) was 46 this morning. If I can get my body weight down to <166 and my RHR to <42 I hope to be able to do well at that TT.

Again, I'm not a good climber by racer standards, but I do love it. And I'm looking forward to that TT, if only to get a quantifiable fitness test. It's a tremendous training motivator. Skipped the ice cream last night. I'm MUCH more afraid of that TT than I am of not eating so much over the next 6 weeks.

The best part about improving your climbing abilty? It generally makes ANY type of cycling less painful. But it does hurt to get there. Figure that one out.

Shhhh. Don't tell anyone. If this top secret info gets out it could be curtains for us all. Some of you might worry more about what you're eating for dinner tonight than whether you have a 25 or a 28 on your rear cluster. God forbid.

By the way this in no way means I shouldn't be driving you all crazy with my hankering for Zipp 404 tubular wheels. That's DIFFERENT than a compact crankset. I'm sure you understand.

correct.
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

v
v
v
v

Old 03-23-07, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You still haven't bought them? The insomnia is starting to get to me, p.
Old 03-23-07, 08:02 AM
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A) Lose a few pounds

So what you're saying is that if I lose weight, train, and apply myself to the training, I should get better? Like DocRay's super secret training tip - if I turn the pedals faster, I will go faster?

Nonsense. Rubbish. Poppycock. Claptrap. Horsefeathers, sir. Good day to you, sir.

I said, "Good day."
Old 03-23-07, 08:14 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by Cromulent
So what you're saying is that if I lose weight, train, and apply myself to the training, I should get better? Like DocRay's super secret training tip - if I turn the pedals faster, I will go faster?

Nonsense. Rubbish. Poppycock. Claptrap. Horsefeathers, sir. Good day to you, sir.

I said, "Good day."
Either that or get one of those nifty compact cranks and a 12-28 cassette. That seems to be the other theory of how to improve climbing espoused on BF : ).
Old 03-23-07, 08:18 AM

Bikes: 2008 fetish illustre

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cromulent

I said, "Good day."
Truth hurts doesn't it. I wish there was some magic pill that would make me a better climber (other than heavey doping), but that's just not how it works.

I'm curious about hill training. As of late, most of my climbs have come at the end of a fairly long ride. After approx. 50-60 miles under the belt I am suddenly sitting at 5000ish feet elevation, looking at 2 main hills that will get me back home up at 7350 feet. At that points it's a practice in sheer willpower to convince the body to stay in the middle ring and maintain a cadence of > 40 RPM. Over 10 miles, 2200 feet of climbing with a little over half of that being mostly flat, I average a HR of over 175 (LT is 168, so it HURTS!). Makes me wonder: Is it better to do hill intervals with fresh legs?
Old 03-23-07, 08:19 AM
so whatcha' want?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A) Lose a few pounds

indeed. gear is not where it's at.
Old 03-23-07, 08:19 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Pshaw - sounds like to loose weight, all I have to do is eat less and excercise more! If that was true, why are there so many diet books?!

Sorry, couldn't resist...
Old 03-23-07, 08:20 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
What, are you trying to tell me that climbing more will actually make me a better climber? Also losing weight will help? I just can't believe it. There must be a more difficult explanation that involves me spending a lot of money.
Old 03-23-07, 08:23 AM
so whatcha' want?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... and the fastest hill climbers i know, jakey, gonesh, pedalmasher and fishmel all have this is common: short, steep hills in their locale that they ride up and down and up and down til they're almost puking in their training routines.
Old 03-23-07, 08:24 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I personally recommend the Botto body-rehabilitation plan, it's done wonders for me.

"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-23-07, 08:25 AM
so whatcha' want?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
awesome avatar!
Old 03-23-07, 08:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just hurled.
Old 03-23-07, 08:28 AM

Bikes: Bianchi FG Lite, Cervelo R3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dang it patentcad! You're giving away the most closely guarded secret of all time!
The jig is up now.
Old 03-23-07, 08:31 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bigskymacadam
awesome avatar!
Botto again....he's like the Vidal Sassoon of BF!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-23-07, 08:33 AM
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Either that or get one of those nifty compact cranks and a 12-28 cassette. That seems to be the other theory of how to improve climbing espoused on BF : ).
Exactly. Did Fausto Coppi train in the mountains? Did Pantani? Basso? Rasmussen? Did they become good climbers by working at it? By training? Balderdash. Twaddle. Tripe. They had expenisve, ultralight equipment. That's what gets you up hills. Everyone knows that.

Now I really need to go ride up some hills till I puke.
Old 03-23-07, 08:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't disagree with your original points, but if you're just starting out cycling, if you ride events or areas in general with steep climbs, I don't see how having lower gearing and a compact can be argued with. Having just put that 12-27 on doesn't mean that I will ride in my lowest gear all the time and it doesn't mean that I'm relying solely on that to improve my climbing ability. I'm trying to lose some weight for that very reason. Try dating a cycling coach...you'll get daily reminders.

coach: the best thing one can do to improve climbing is to lose weight.
me: did you just call me a fatty?
coach: of course not babe, i'm just sayin'.
me: you did just call me a fatty!

I also have a newfound love for hill repeats...it's the only option for me and my limited training time. I can get there without driving an hour for a sustained climb in the mountains. I'm also getting hooked on the mileage to elevation gain ratios. I know that many people don't like them, I'll admit that they're boring, but if they lead to me dropping the boys on the mountains eventually, then I'll be out there doing them.

Wheels Rolling
Old 03-23-07, 08:38 AM
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
I personally recommend the Botto body-rehabilitation plan, it's done wonders for me.

[IMG]snip[/IMG]
Chipcom...I'm not sure Chesty would be proud of this. You're lifetime membership card is coming up for renewal.
Old 03-23-07, 08:39 AM

Bikes: Trek 1500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A) Lose a few pounds
Incorrect.
But I stand 5'9" and weight in at 127.5lbs which is 1.847lbs/inch. Even Pantani was heavier than I am compared to height 1.852lbs/inch. I WANT to GAIN 10.5 pounds but I feel like that is a lofty goal.

Correct.
Old 03-23-07, 08:41 AM
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No! Not hard work! I won't hear of it. I need a special pill or a mechanism that does it for me. That is the American way.
Old 03-23-07, 08:46 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by Bantam
Incorrect.
But I stand 5'9" and weight in at 127.5lbs which is 1.847lbs/inch. Even Pantani was heavier than I am compared to height 1.852lbs/inch. I WANT to GAIN 10.5 pounds but I feel like that is a lofty goal.

Correct.
Listen you little friggin pencil necked wimp, guys like you make me insane. Don't you understand that 99% of the people here would KILL to have your body type??

On the other hand, this is the ONLY sport where such geeky proportions are coveted by others. So don't let it go to your underweight head. This is also the only sport where you can look in the mirror at your wimpy underweight ass and shake your head in the certain knowledge that you remain too fat for cycling. 99% of us are always too fat for cycling.

It is at times like this I PRAY to be blessed with a serious eating disorder like anorexia or bulemia. BRING IT ON baby. That is not my problem. Trust me. In the meantime if you need me (and I realize you do not) I will be riding my bike 300+ miles every week and eating next to nothing. *** me.
Old 03-23-07, 08:49 AM

Listen you little friggin pencil necked wimp, guys like you make me insane. Don't you understand that 99% of the people here would KILL to have your body type??

On the other hand, this is the ONLY sport where such geeky proportions are coveted by others. So don't let it go to your underweight head.

This is also the only sport where you can look in the mirror at your wimpy underweight ass and shake your head in the certain knowledge that you remain too fat for cycling. 99% of us are always too fat for cycling.

It is at times like this I PRAY to be blessed with a serious eating disorder like anorexia or bulemia. BRING IT ON baby. That is not my problem. Trust me.

Old 03-23-07, 09:13 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

I was serious.
Old 03-23-07, 09:14 AM

Bikes: Trek T200 plus enough others to fill a large shed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see where you're coming from as I could also do with losing a few lbs, but trust me that anorexia or similar eating disorder is not something you want.

First it's not something you can just switch on and off, and second the difference between a bit of selective eating leading to some healthy weight loss and having an unhealthy psychological disorder is a fine one.

My experience of eating disorders is that it doesn't help you to win races, but it hamper ability to enjoy food over a lifetime, and is often passed on to your kids and their kids. That's the mild sort. The bad sort shuts down your body. Your body switches off non essentials and switches to survival mode starting with physical ability to do fun stuff like cycling and having sex. Later on it switches off ability to regulate temperature and your heart muscles get metabolised. Then you die.

My advice to Bantam is to understand that he's got the weight side of the power to weight equation sorted. His problem is probably on the power side, so perhaps some nutritional checks, weight training and various power intervals will help? He'll soon be flying uphill, but should also recognise that he will probably not be going under the hour for a 40k TT or winning flat field sprints any time soon.
Old 03-23-07, 09:16 AM

I was serious.
i know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.