Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Rhode Island...Sound Off

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Rhode Island...Sound Off

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-07, 12:34 AM

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rhode Island...Sound Off

Weekly Rides, Early Morning Meets...Tell All!! East Bay, West Bay , Where are you ridding that bike? RI Hans
Old 05-23-07, 01:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Portsmouth..incredibly unfriendly to bicycles, let me tell you. East Main and West Main Roads are the scariest roads ever. I usually hop on the bus with my bike and head to Providence.
Old 05-23-07, 06:16 PM
underfoot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warwick here. Plenty of road but no trails.
Old 05-28-07, 05:49 PM
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Free Bike Map of RI

Maybe this can be of help.

I lived in Newport years ago and East/West Main Roads were treacherous then I'm sorry to hear there's been no improvement. It would be so nice to bike from Providence to Newport but yech!... those roads make it suck.
Old 05-30-08, 09:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm moving to Newport, RI tomorrow, anyone active in the area?
Old 05-30-08, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Bristol here.. i generally go over to Middletown, Tiverton, E. Prov, Swansea to ride. Though i am tryin to hit up more of the Naragansett wheelmen rides when they are fairly close

They are up in Cumberland this sunday and should be fun.
Jake
Old 05-30-08, 07:25 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
Free Bike Map of RI

Maybe this can be of help.

I lived in Newport years ago and East/West Main Roads were treacherous then I'm sorry to hear there's been no improvement. It would be so nice to bike from Providence to Newport but yech!... those roads make it suck.
There is a route down to Newport that does not use them. Just some sidewalk and some grass, a little hard packed dirt. (OK on a road bike) on one of them. No need to ride in east main or west main. You do have to cross east main right at a crosswalk, that in itself is pretty scary. I think I still have images of the route I mapped for a friend. You do have to be very carefull and go slow on the sidewalk and some of the grass/dirt sections.

If you search the forums for "Bailey" you can see a lot of photos of the East Bay Path.

I probably have a lot of photos of riding on that route and in the Newport area. I start in East Providence. The night photo in my sig is the East Bay path.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 05-30-08 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-10-10, 12:04 PM

Bikes: 1990 Georgena Terry Gambit, 2010 Cannondale Synapse 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride the East bay path from Attleboro Mass to colt state, I go down blackstone Blvd and Gano Street, over the 195 bridge and pick up path. Looking for riding buddies. I usually go either Saturday or Sunday Am depending on weather, I pick best day and leave my house around 7 am. Also have Wednesday off for summer so looking to ride Wednesday as well, planning to leave mass around 10 to avoid prov traffic.
Old 04-10-10, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by KarenB1021
I ride the East bay path from Attleboro Mass to colt state, I go down blackstone Blvd and Gano Street, over the 195 bridge and pick up path. Looking for riding buddies. I usually go either Saturday or Sunday Am depending on weather, I pick best day and leave my house around 7 am. Also have Wednesday off for summer so looking to ride Wednesday as well, planning to leave mass around 10 to avoid prov traffic.
Eventually you will see this on the bike path. Or parked at the bike shop. He does not bite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1xzuv-gejY
Old 04-10-10, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Long Islander here. Love riding up the coast, through Westerly and onward to Narragansett. Has the Atlantic House cleaned up its act yet? If so, I may be heading up that way again this summer!
Old 04-10-10, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Long Islander here. Love riding up the coast, through Westerly and onward to Narragansett. Has the Atlantic House cleaned up its act yet? If so, I may be heading up that way again this summer!
I think I saw an ad that said they were hiring.
Old 04-10-10, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
>>>>I think I saw an ad that said they were hiring.<<<<

Exterminators?
Old 05-05-10, 04:11 PM
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Hi. I am a little North of Boston, but I was wondering if any of you in R.I. (or elsewhere) know any good, 4-5 day tours in north-western R.I. I'd like to try that this summer. (I'm not against camping out, if there are no motels).
Paul

Last edited by 1989Pre; 05-10-10 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-05-10, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Hi. I am a little North of Boston, but I was wondering if any of you in R.I. (or elsewhere) know any good, 4-5 day tours in western R.I., particularly the northeast section. I'd like to try that this summer. (I'm not against camping out, if there are no motels).
Paul
It's not difficult to ride across R.I.and into another state in one day. I'm next to Providence, it's only 52 miles to the Cape Cod canal by bike. It's also about 55 miles to the Boston town line. How far would you ride in one day? Look at a map and find "Miles Standish state park" it's towards the cape. Plenty of camping and a good ride. If you start where you are.
Old 05-10-10, 08:03 AM
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Hi 2many. I'm figuring on taking my time, so only about 30 miles a day. I am thinking of bussing the bike to Woonsocket and starting from there. First night will probably be in Black Hut Management Area. Then, drop by the Wilson Reservoir to do some birdwatching. Second night: Buck Hill Management Area. After that, I hope I don't get lost heading to George Washington Management Area. (It looks like there are only a few small roads connecting it to Rt. 100). Third night in Durfee Hill Management Area. Then, off to Ponaganset Reservoir for more birdwatching.
Outside of that, I would like very much to visit the Scituate Reservoir on the trip, so I will probably take Rt. 44 into Harmony and bang a right. Then, back to Providence to catch the bus. Any spots you can suggest on the reservoir up around N. Scituate?
Paul
Old 05-10-10, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Hi 2many. I'm figuring on taking my time, so only about 30 miles a day. I am thinking of bussing the bike to Woonsocket and starting from there. First night will probably be in Black Hut Management Area. Then, drop by the Wilson Reservoir to do some birdwatching. Second night: Buck Hill Management Area. After that, I hope I don't get lost heading to George Washington Management Area. (It looks like there are only a few small roads connecting it to Rt. 100). Third night in Durfee Hill Management Area. Then, off to Ponaganset Reservoir for more birdwatching.
Outside of that, I would like very much to visit the Scituate Reservoir on the trip, so I will probably take Rt. 44 into Harmony and bang a right. Then, back to Providence to catch the bus. Any spots you can suggest on the reservoir up around N. Scituate?
Paul
So far so good. Will you be on a Mountain bike, or a road bike? Google "R.I. North South trail". No good for a road bike. I have way 2many photos of the trail, and other off road trails.

Also Visit " Bike R.I." there is a link there to the state bike map. The roads are all rated for quality of bike rideability. It also shows our state bike paths. That is just what you want. You can print out the map, or send me a P.M. with your mailing address and I can just mail you a map. They are free at R.I. bike shops.

Anywhere around the reservoir is pretty nice. It is a protected watershed water supply, there is no camping right next to the reservoir.
Old 05-12-10, 03:48 PM

Bikes: '12 Felt F75X, '11 Scott CX Team, '08 Specialized Singlecross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Checking in from Portsmouth...nothing to add other than East and West Main Roads are as scary as everyone is making them out to be. Aviod them like the plague.
Old 05-12-10, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chief Brody
Checking in from Portsmouth...nothing to add other than East and West Main Roads are as scary as everyone is making them out to be. Aviod them like the plague.
Very true. Even lousy for the cars.

I go down the east side of the island and then cross over the main road, near the Shell station. and go down the center of the island, starting at the Police?'' station.

I almost didn't make it across one day, the road was clear, I started to cross and someone came out of a side street and floored it. I almost got hit.
Old 05-12-10, 06:23 PM

Bikes: '12 Felt F75X, '11 Scott CX Team, '08 Specialized Singlecross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For what it is worth, the wheelmen have a good collection of rides here
Old 05-12-10, 06:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
You mean the ABC? It's like an event place now...

The bike path is great, but too many people and stops for good road riding.

I'm in Tiverton, and the roads to the south and east are really excellent. I'd think South County would offer a similar experience with perhaps more cars.

-spence
Old 08-01-10, 05:41 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Hi ya gang,
I'm new around here. Live in Bristol so I ride the bike path often. My favorite place to ride, so far, are the pretty back roads around Tiverton, Little Compton, Westport, Dartmouth. It's easy to find 60 of 70 miles of quiet roads here. Eventually I'll extend the rides out toward the Cape and eventually I'll hook up with the Narragansett Bay Wheelmen, who have the whole state pretty well mapped out. I'm retired and can ride any day of the week. Hope to ride with y'all.
Old 08-01-10, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by berner
Hi ya gang,
I'm new around here. Live in Bristol so I ride the bike path often. My favorite place to ride, so far, are the pretty back roads around Tiverton, Little Compton, Westport, Dartmouth. It's easy to find 60 of 70 miles of quiet roads here. Eventually I'll extend the rides out toward the Cape and eventually I'll hook up with the Narragansett Bay Wheelmen, who have the whole state pretty well mapped out. I'm retired and can ride any day of the week. Hope to ride with y'all.

If you go above Fall River and New Bedford and head towards the cape it is very nice. Also going to Plymouth is nice. Going through providence and out around the reservoir is nice, if you take the right route through Providence.