Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Cog Threads

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Campagnolo Cog Threads

Old 06-22-06, 08:43 AM
  #1  
not the car.
Thread Starter
 
tempo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Campagnolo Cog Threads

Recently, I built up a NOS set of C-Record HF Hubs, and wanted to make sure everything was hunky dory, in terms of the cog thread interface. After an evening of comparing cog threads amongst different hubs and cogs I have on hand I'd like to give a few small notes on cog threads to prevent other users from screwing up their cog threads.

-The C Record hub threads are 1.37" X 24tpi. Newer record hubs are 1.37" X 24tpi. From what i can tell, the c-record era is the turning point in cog threading for campy hubs. Older low flange record and high flange record seem to be split between italian thread 35 x 24F and british 1.37" X 24tpi thread. Perhaps other campy heads will want to chime in about this.

-I have a set of beat up high flange record hubs. they *appear* to have been italian threading, and someone had thread on a steel british cog, basically chasing down the threads from italian to british. (insert world cup jab here). All of my british cogs thread on nicely, however the original campagnolo cog 35 x 24F which came with it, threads on quite loosely.

-The italian threaded cog 35 x 24F threads on the newer c-record hub 1.37" X 24tpi, however a tiny bit loosely. The campagnolo italian thread cogs are marked "italiano 35 x 24F", whereas the british thread cogs read simply "made in italy". however, i also have one british thread campagnolo 13T cog which has no text at all as there is no space to engrave.

-I have an identical looking set of high flange record hubs, they are in better condition and have never had another cog threaded on. the threads are definitely 1.37" X 24tpi, and the cog is a newer campy one. the cog interface is perfect.

-I had a 18T EAI cog (1.37" X 24tpi) which i intended to use, on the c-record hubs. The cog threaded only 95% on. It left a small 1mm gap between the hub body and cog. Of all the other cogs i have, campagnolo, suntour and dura ace, none of them had this problem. I threaded the cog onto a bottom bracket chasing tool, to clean up the threads. A bit of cutting oil, and a few minutes later and it spun on like butter.
tempo is offline  
Old 04-13-24, 04:27 PM
  #2  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I've been looking for this info

I fell hard for an immaculate pair of Campy sun logo track hubs and the found that I wasn't going to just pick up any cog or lock ring. And further, that there were two or possibly three different threads for these. I still have to try to determine which thread the hubs are--British or Italian--on the hub. I also have no real idea what the lock ring needs to be. Using a caliper I get 1.313" X 24tpi (in metric it's 23.1mm) for the lock ring threads, but what does that mean?
I'm not finding it easy to locate either part for a reasonable amount. That makes me first want to be sure what the heck I need.
One other question I have is how likely is it to find a cog in 3/32"?
Thanks for the great post. Much appreciated. I'd love to hear your opinion on the above issues.
Bob


Originally Posted by tempo
Recently, I built up a NOS set of C-Record HF Hubs, and wanted to make sure everything was hunky dory, in terms of the cog thread interface. After an evening of comparing cog threads amongst different hubs and cogs I have on hand I'd like to give a few small notes on cog threads to prevent other users from screwing up their cog threads.

-The C Record hub threads are 1.37" X 24tpi. Newer record hubs are 1.37" X 24tpi. From what i can tell, the c-record era is the turning point in cog threading for campy hubs. Older low flange record and high flange record seem to be split between italian thread 35 x 24F and british 1.37" X 24tpi thread. Perhaps other campy heads will want to chime in about this.

-I have a set of beat up high flange record hubs. they *appear* to have been italian threading, and someone had thread on a steel british cog, basically chasing down the threads from italian to british. (insert world cup jab here). All of my british cogs thread on nicely, however the original campagnolo cog 35 x 24F which came with it, threads on quite loosely.

-The italian threaded cog 35 x 24F threads on the newer c-record hub 1.37" X 24tpi, however a tiny bit loosely. The campagnolo italian thread cogs are marked "italiano 35 x 24F", whereas the british thread cogs read simply "made in italy". however, i also have one british thread campagnolo 13T cog which has no text at all as there is no space to engrave.

-I have an identical looking set of high flange record hubs, they are in better condition and have never had another cog threaded on. the threads are definitely 1.37" X 24tpi, and the cog is a newer campy one. the cog interface is perfect.

-I had a 18T EAI cog (1.37" X 24tpi) which i intended to use, on the c-record hubs. The cog threaded only 95% on. It left a small 1mm gap between the hub body and cog. Of all the other cogs i have, campagnolo, suntour and dura ace, none of them had this problem. I threaded the cog onto a bottom bracket chasing tool, to clean up the threads. A bit of cutting oil, and a few minutes later and it spun on like butter.
old wing nut is offline  
Old 04-13-24, 04:50 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 12,980

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4860 Post(s)
Liked 4,005 Times in 2,601 Posts
I don't have any thread numbers but I have run a number of Miche track hubs. Most have had lockrings that are bigger diameter than the standard ISO - Italian? Same as some Campy. I just don't know. When I bought a SunTour 12 tooth lockring to use with an EAI 12 tooth, I couldn't start it on the threads. Had Ti Cycles drill and re-thread to the Miche standard. And again when I set up another bike fix gear and wanted to do the same.

Later, I learned the hard way that not all Miche track ups use the Italian(?) standard and killed one using one of my existing Miche lockrings.

Ti Cycles can re-thread to the larger lockring thread but - it may be very expensive. The SunTour lockrings are very hard steel and very hard on the lathe so the work is both slow and costly to the shop. They do not have the Miche dies but do have the superior lathe that can cut any threads. The re-threaded rings spin on beautifully. I love 'em but I paid a lot.
79pmooney is online now  
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-13-24, 08:35 PM
  #4  
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 13,813

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 4,121 Times in 2,752 Posts
Originally Posted by old wing nut
I fell hard for an immaculate pair of Campy sun logo track hubs and the found that I wasn't going to just pick up any cog or lock ring. And further, that there were two or possibly three different threads for these. I still have to try to determine which thread the hubs are--British or Italian--on the hub. I also have no real idea what the lock ring needs to be. Using a caliper I get 1.313" X 24tpi (in metric it's 23.1mm) for the lock ring threads, but what does that mean?
I'm not finding it easy to locate either part for a reasonable amount. That makes me first want to be sure what the heck I need.
One other question I have is how likely is it to find a cog in 3/32"?
Thanks for the great post. Much appreciated. I'd love to hear your opinion on the above issues.
Bob
Just FYI this thread is from 2006 so the OP is long gone. However 79pmooney had good advice. You could also reach out to Phil Wood who does make Campag compatible lockings they might know. Also you might consider asking the mods to move this to Classic and Vintage there are some super knowledgeable people there who would probably know or check Sheldon Brown who knew just about everything.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 04-14-24, 06:00 AM
  #5  
not the car.
Thread Starter
 
tempo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
OP here, I'm still around!
You need a campy thread locking. Either the one with a C-diamond logo, or a Phil wood.
Cog-wise:
-you could probably get a non-campy 3/32 on there but you may need a thin cog shim behind the cog to get the lockring to properly engage, as campy cogs are thick
-AFAIK Campy only ever made 3/32 cogs in aluminium, all other campy cogs I've had were 1/8 and steel
tempo is offline  
Likes For tempo:
Old 04-14-24, 07:42 PM
  #6  
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 13,813

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 4,121 Times in 2,752 Posts
Originally Posted by tempo
OP here, I'm still around!
You need a campy thread locking. Either the one with a C-diamond logo, or a Phil wood.
Cog-wise:
-you could probably get a non-campy 3/32 on there but you may need a thin cog shim behind the cog to get the lockring to properly engage, as campy cogs are thick
-AFAIK Campy only ever made 3/32 cogs in aluminium, all other campy cogs I've had were 1/8 and steel
I stand corrected. Glad you are still here.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 04-14-24, 07:52 PM
  #7  
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,840

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,958 Posts
I've used Miche 1.32" x 24tpi LH lockrings in the past; good quality and a fraction of the price of Phil or Campagnolo lockrings. But they don't seem to be available anymore…
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 04-21-24, 10:57 AM
  #8  
Tinker-er
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 484

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 198 Posts
I've seen an older NOS Miche track hub with lockring for the cost of the lockring alone.
Like buying a whole 70s Mercedes for $300 just to salvage the mint, not cracked or Sun damaged dash.
Phil
PhilFo is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.