Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Mercier Kilo TT Pictures

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Mercier Kilo TT Pictures

Old 03-02-09, 02:29 AM
  #6326  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ketchup4life
heyyy so i have a kilo have not posted pics...yet...but i'm feeling some play in the bottom bracket and i think i need to replace it...I have had the bike for about a month...probably have put 50 miles on it. Just wondering...how many of you have swapped out the stock bottom bracket for a new one**********?
What do you mean by "play?" Is it moving side to side?
If it's a matter of feeling loose (not moving side to side... I don't know what that would be) check your chain tension. Having a slack chain (even a just a little too much slack) can make it feel like there's some rotational play down there. I hope that makes sense. You might want to wait for some of these other, smarter fellows to reply though.
xsnakobx is offline  
Old 03-02-09, 02:31 AM
  #6327  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,751

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by ketchup4life
heyyy so i have a kilo have not posted pics...yet...but i'm feeling some play in the bottom bracket and i think i need to replace it...I have had the bike for about a month...probably have put 50 miles on it. Just wondering...how many of you have swapped out the stock bottom bracket for a new one**********?
i replaced mine pretty much right out the box, but that's because i had some other cranks i wanted to put on it. the stock truvativ seemed okay, heavy but should certainly be stiff. maybe you didn't install it right? you should always go over everything on the bike the first time you get it. that includes taking apart the cranks/bb and re-greasing/reinstalling.

i agree with xsnakobx though. if you're talking about "rotational" play it could also just be your chain stretching out which is normal, especially given the amount of time you've owned it.

Last edited by tFUnK; 03-02-09 at 02:35 AM.
tFUnK is offline  
Old 03-02-09, 02:46 AM
  #6328  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Davis, CA
Posts: 48

Bikes: Surly Steamroller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lordgold
53. And a combination of silver components, with the white tape and saddle. I'm just out of money, currently.

And no, white Deep Vs will never be going on this bike.
Is that the 53cm with measurements from bikeisland? I know their 53 is actually a 55cm.
5h0m3d4m0n3y is offline  
Old 03-02-09, 03:28 AM
  #6329  
Senior Member
 
lmaonade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heres my orange kilo and beachwoodsparks green one

lmaonade is offline  
Old 03-02-09, 04:53 AM
  #6330  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by misha misha



Some pictures catch my eyes to see backgorund of city behind your bike you took at right time in right place! its so beautiful picture I really like!
GMERGOD is offline  
Old 03-02-09, 07:10 AM
  #6331  
Senior Member
 
ZiP0082's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,703

Bikes: 2008 Mercier Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thehappyrobot
Zip, you're huge.
Mines a 57 also and fits me perfectly, the way I have it set up.
I've always liked your bike though.
I think I'm gonna stick with the ***** stem.
I'm still pretty aprehensive about cutting the steerer tube tough.
I think I'll ride it around for a little bit more though.
I've always thought as my kilo as more of a cruiser than a fast bike.
My madison and my geared bianchi are for going fast and riding aggressively.
Yeah, I'm only 6'-3" but I'm realizing I may have long legs in proportion to my torso. I wonder about the cruiser thought though -- I mean, I'd guess it has slightly steeper angles than the Schwinn Madison and your geared Bianchi, which would imply the ability for it to be the most aggressive in that bunch. I'm finding myself in the classic "I like easy gearing and upright riding for daily commuting and errand running, but if I try to hang with the roadies, I'm easily maxing out on the downhills and can't duck down enough to feel like I'm becoming a little more aerodynamic" scenario... to which the answer might be "multiple bikes," but space always seems tough around here.

And misha misha: really great shots of your orange Kilo. The super shallow depth of field reminds me a lot of the shots of Walking Disease's old Jamis Sputnik, good stuff.
ZiP0082 is offline  
Old 03-02-09, 09:43 AM
  #6332  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 302

Bikes: kilo tt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GMERGOD
Some pictures catch my eyes to see backgorund of city behind your bike you took at right time in right place! its so beautiful picture I really like!
thank you sir!
misha misha is offline  
Old 03-02-09, 10:32 AM
  #6333  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone recomend a good tire for the city thats not expensive and will last?
thanks
nola is offline  
Old 03-02-09, 10:59 AM
  #6334  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 133

Bikes: 07' Biacnchi Pista, 06' Felt Jumpshot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
question for all.

What size would i ride in this frame?

Height -5'8
Inseam-30"

I ask because i ride a 53cm or 54cm road bike. Short legs and long torso.

Thanks, JDB
justintime8425 is offline  
Old 03-02-09, 11:59 AM
  #6335  
Senior Member
 
Thetank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,041
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justintime8425
question for all.

What size would i ride in this frame?

Height -5'8
Inseam-30"

I ask because i ride a 53cm or 54cm road bike. Short legs and long torso.

Thanks, JDB
50cm
Thetank is offline  
Old 03-02-09, 12:03 PM
  #6336  
Senior Member
 
johnnytheboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BANNED.
Posts: 3,899
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Zip, the kilo does have steeper angles, but its the only bike I have that's got risers, and it only has a slight saddle to bar drop.
It feels more like a cruiser than my other faster bikes.
Plus, its got a bell.
Ding ding!!!
johnnytheboy is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 12:42 AM
  #6337  
let it snow.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: boulder, colorado
Posts: 11

Bikes: mercier kilo tt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alrighty, first post... Finally. (I've been lurking for quite some time)

I've gone through basically every damn page of this thread... couldn't help myself. Had to buy the kilo. And the thing is, I actually had/have a great Nishiki conversion that I've been riding for about a year now. But after seeing this frame and the price, I just had to do it.

I bought the frame from bikeIsland.com in gold/wheat... The day I got it, I took aircraft remover to it and repainted it white with Dupli-color paints.

Next time I actually get a chance to go out in the daytime I'll take some more pictures.

tvvat is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 01:02 AM
  #6338  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nobody answered me, so I'll ask again: Does anyone know the rake of the stock fork?
Also, Tvvat, nice looking bike!
xsnakobx is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 02:05 AM
  #6339  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,751

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by xsnakobx
Nobody answered me, so I'll ask again: Does anyone know the rake of the stock fork?
Also, Tvvat, nice looking bike!
43mm
tFUnK is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 03:13 AM
  #6340  
Senior Member
 
jsource's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tvvat
Alrighty, first post... Finally. (I've been lurking for quite some time)

I've gone through basically every damn page of this thread... couldn't help myself. Had to buy the kilo. And the thing is, I actually had/have a great Nishiki conversion that I've been riding for about a year now. But after seeing this frame and the price, I just had to do it.

I bought the frame from bikeIsland.com in gold/wheat... The day I got it, I took aircraft remover to it and repainted it white with Dupli-color paints.

Next time I actually get a chance to go out in the daytime I'll take some more pictures.

Great looking bike.

But, why didn't you just buy the white frameset? Did they not have your size?
jsource is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 08:15 AM
  #6341  
let it snow.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: boulder, colorado
Posts: 11

Bikes: mercier kilo tt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsource
Great looking bike.

But, why didn't you just buy the white frameset? Did they not have your size?
exactamundo! There was no white at all. also... I'm pretty damn indecisive. So, It'll get changed again at some point. Might as well get used to stripping and re-painting.
tvvat is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 11:45 AM
  #6342  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 302

Bikes: kilo tt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tvvat: looks great
misha misha is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 01:39 PM
  #6343  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZiP0082
Yeah, I'm only 6'-3" but I'm realizing I may have long legs in proportion to my torso. I wonder about the cruiser thought though -- I mean, I'd guess it has slightly steeper angles than the Schwinn Madison and your geared Bianchi, which would imply the ability for it to be the most aggressive in that bunch. I'm finding myself in the classic "I like easy gearing and upright riding for daily commuting and errand running, but if I try to hang with the roadies, I'm easily maxing out on the downhills and can't duck down enough to feel like I'm becoming a little more aerodynamic" scenario... to which the answer might be "multiple bikes," but space always seems tough around here.

And misha misha: really great shots of your orange Kilo. The super shallow depth of field reminds me a lot of the shots of Walking Disease's old Jamis Sputnik, good stuff.
Why not get some touring drops? You'll only be a bit lower down than with your risers, which the new ***** stem should negate, and then you'll have the drops for a more aero position, and, if you put hoods on, the hoods for a stretched out position. I had drops, put on risers, and had to switch back to drops with hoods because risers really suck it there is ANY wind whatsoever, at least in comparison to having hoods or drops.
PoopinFresh is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 02:23 PM
  #6344  
Senior Member
 
lordgold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RVA
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Finished, until I get some more expendable income. I'm not feeling the yellow tires, but hey, they're Zaffiro Pros and were on sale for $12 at PBK. And that's not a scratch on the TT, just a glare from my window.
lordgold is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 02:53 PM
  #6345  
Senior Member
 
ZiP0082's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,703

Bikes: 2008 Mercier Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PoopinFresh
Why not get some touring drops? You'll only be a bit lower down than with your risers, which the new ***** stem should negate, and then you'll have the drops for a more aero position, and, if you put hoods on, the hoods for a stretched out position. I had drops, put on risers, and had to switch back to drops with hoods because risers really suck it there is ANY wind whatsoever, at least in comparison to having hoods or drops.
Good point -- I rode Prospect Park a little on Sunday, and felt too upright. I was actually considering bullhorns though instead of drops. What are touring drops exactly? Are they a little more shallow than track or road drops?
ZiP0082 is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 03:00 PM
  #6346  
its that damned rap music
 
oneangrytoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: brooklyn, ny
Posts: 569

Bikes: Kilo TT, Bianchi Pista Concept 2005, Shogun 600 ~1983

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dougland89
I'm whoring out my bike, but new straps (Errebi Doubles) and new bars (Ritchey XC Risers) and Origin 8 track grips.

how are those straps working out? i still havent bought new ones yet...
oneangrytoast is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 03:22 PM
  #6347  
Senior Member
 
JayNev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kind of wish my kilo had the water bottles mounts. I'm so lame! bikes posted on this page look good. i think gold frame with blacked out components would look nice. the blue looks good though!
JayNev is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 03:34 PM
  #6348  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I apologize in advance for not spending hours searching through this thread to find the answer to my question (though I did a 10 or so minute search).

I can't seem to find good information for helping me decide on a frame size for a Kilo TT. I am 5'11", have a 33in inseam, and weigh 145lbs. I have a longish torso as well. Mercier's website and BikeDirect's geometry differ from one another. I even emailed Mercier and they recommended a 53cm, however with no reasoning and thus I am still unsure. I'd also like to add that I am typically a 56cm road bike (56cm top tube and 56cm seat tube), so maybe that is throwing me off. Can anyone help me figure out the best size for me? Thanks in advance!
wwwdotcomdotnet is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 03:48 PM
  #6349  
Senior Member
 
ZiP0082's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,703

Bikes: 2008 Mercier Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JayNev
I kind of wish my kilo had the water bottles mounts. I'm so lame! bikes posted on this page look good. i think gold frame with blacked out components would look nice. the blue looks good though!
there are some decent removable water bottle mounts out there though, I got this one from Nashbar for super cheap:

ZiP0082 is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 03:51 PM
  #6350  
FNG
 
Jabba Degrassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 2,313

Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lordgold


Finished, until I get some more expendable income. I'm not feeling the yellow tires, but hey, they're Zaffiro Pros and were on sale for $12 at PBK. And that's not a scratch on the TT, just a glare from my window.
I think the tires look great! That Cannondale-esque shade of blue and yellow tires is one of my favorite combos, especially with the white saddle and tape.
Jabba Degrassi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.