Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for a used Calfee

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Looking for a used Calfee

Old 01-22-16, 09:27 AM
  #26  
Tandem2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 88

Bikes: Ibis Mojo HDR, Devinci Atlas, Walt Works 29er, Cannondale EVO, Co-Motion Supremo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colotandem View Post
Two points of reference. 1) I sold my Calfee on the classifieds and I think the buyer is very happy with the purchase. 2) I know a guy locally that just bought a used Calfee that was listed on ebay. I think he got a good deal, but I also know that he compromised on some of the things that he would have wanted if he had bought new.

I post this because I believe that you may be able to find a used bike that is close to your need maybe even perfect, buy you will need to be patient. When you finally do find a bike that fits most of your needs, you may not check all the boxes, but for the discounted price it may be worth it to you.

Good luck and happy hunting.
I think I may have been following that same ebay listing, Orange county cycles had a L/S but it was non disc and maybe a tad on the Large size.
Tandem2 is offline  
Old 01-22-16, 09:37 AM
  #27  
colotandem
Senior Member
 
colotandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 366

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tandem2 View Post
I think I may have been following that same ebay listing, Orange county cycles had a L/S but it was non disc and maybe a tad on the Large size.
Yeah, I think that's the one. The non-disc (130mm spacing) and 1 1/8 head tube would have likely been a deal killer for me. But at that price, I think it might not be a bad way to get into a high quality racing bike!
colotandem is offline  
Old 01-27-16, 11:29 AM
  #28  
budhaslug
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As the owner of a used Calfee (thanks twocicle), they do occasionally show up, but I was watching adds for all sorts of high end tandems for 1-2 years before a suitable one at the right price showed up and I jumped at it. It worked out great as the fit happened to be close enough to perfect and I was able to just buy the frame and then separately buy parts within a budget by searching out lots of deals over the course of 6 months (a.k.a. the average MN winter).

Many of the high end tandems that get sold used go for extremely high prices and frequently go through bike shops that either bought them from the owner or are the only owner. There was a barely used Lightspeed tandem, for instance, that was posted on various sites for about 2 years running going for $10-15k... wasn't worth it when you could start from scratch for about the same price. I tried to talk the owner down on price and they turned me down flat.

If you have the time to wait, like we did, I'd say keep your eyes open and something will eventually pop up. In the meantime, start slowly putting away some money for a new tandem so if nothing shows up, you can eventually upgrade knowing that you did your best to buy used first.
budhaslug is offline  
Old 01-27-16, 03:06 PM
  #29  
Tandem2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 88

Bikes: Ibis Mojo HDR, Devinci Atlas, Walt Works 29er, Cannondale EVO, Co-Motion Supremo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by budhaslug View Post
As the owner of a used Calfee (thanks twocicle), they do occasionally show up, but I was watching adds for all sorts of high end tandems for 1-2 years before a suitable one at the right price showed up and I jumped at it. It worked out great as the fit happened to be close enough to perfect and I was able to just buy the frame and then separately buy parts within a budget by searching out lots of deals over the course of 6 months (a.k.a. the average MN winter).

Many of the high end tandems that get sold used go for extremely high prices and frequently go through bike shops that either bought them from the owner or are the only owner. There was a barely used Lightspeed tandem, for instance, that was posted on various sites for about 2 years running going for $10-15k... wasn't worth it when you could start from scratch for about the same price. I tried to talk the owner down on price and they turned me down flat.

If you have the time to wait, like we did, I'd say keep your eyes open and something will eventually pop up. In the meantime, start slowly putting away some money for a new tandem so if nothing shows up, you can eventually upgrade knowing that you did your best to buy used first.
Timing really is everything, not to mention finding a used bike or even frame with the standards I am looking for.
I am also looking starting from scatch with a new frame.
Congrats on your new to you Calfee.
Tandem2 is offline  
Old 01-27-16, 07:41 PM
  #30  
TooMany
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: PacNW
Posts: 30

Bikes: See user name...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know of one Calfee that's probably for sale, but you would have to contact the shop here in Portland, OR: West End Bikes. I have no idea if they would ship it. I considered buying it while shopping around, but decided to go new instead. They said that they would make me a 'great deal' although it wasn't ever specified. It has a fairly standard Ultegra 6700 10 speed group on it if I remember correctly.
TooMany is offline  
Old 01-27-16, 08:21 PM
  #31  
Tandem2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 88

Bikes: Ibis Mojo HDR, Devinci Atlas, Walt Works 29er, Cannondale EVO, Co-Motion Supremo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TooMany View Post
I know of one Calfee that's probably for sale, but you would have to contact the shop here in Portland, OR: West End Bikes. I have no idea if they would ship it. I considered buying it while shopping around, but decided to go new instead. They said that they would make me a 'great deal' although it wasn't ever specified. It has a fairly standard Ultegra 6700 10 speed group on it if I remember correctly.
Thanks for the lead, I will contact them tomorrow.
Tandem2 is offline  
Old 01-28-16, 12:57 PM
  #32  
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene
 
twocicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Posts: 1,986

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem2 View Post
Thanks for the lead, I will contact them tomorrow.
Just be aware, Calfee tandems are all custom ordered. Meaning, be sure to review every aspect of the frame and fork and determine if the build fits your needs.

With that in mind, Calfee is very good at doing modifications to existing frames. Sometimes this can be economical, or sometimes it makes more sense to get your own custom frame built.

Caveat intended more towards the uninitiated.

Last edited by twocicle; 01-29-16 at 12:53 PM.
twocicle is offline  
Old 01-28-16, 07:59 PM
  #33  
Alcanbrad
Senior Member
 
Alcanbrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 392

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 29 Posts
I may have missed if this was mentioned in this thread, but the Tandemseast website is showing a "barely used" Calfee Tetra in their bike classified section.
Alcanbrad is offline  
Old 01-29-16, 04:16 AM
  #34  
Tandem2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 88

Bikes: Ibis Mojo HDR, Devinci Atlas, Walt Works 29er, Cannondale EVO, Co-Motion Supremo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alcanbrad View Post
I may have missed if this was mentioned in this thread, but the Tandemseast website is showing a "barely used" Calfee Tetra in their bike classified section.
Yes, unfortunatley for this team it is a 22x18.
Great option for a Larger team.
Tandem2 is offline  
Old 01-30-16, 11:38 AM
  #35  
LelandJT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Lahaina,HI Breckenridge, CO
Posts: 70

Bikes: Santana Beyond & Stylus. Santa Cruz V10, Nomad, Bronson, & 5010. Fuji Transonic, Kestrel Talon, Hongfu rigid 650b, some beach cruisers

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem2 View Post
Thanks for the reply Charlie, I have looked at some of the other offerings out there and deceidmy opinion ed all tho a step up, imo it was not a big enough step to justify the purchase over our current ride.
Scott
Since I work for Santana my opinion won't mean much to you but I think you'll find that others agree: The Beyond is the same weight as a Calfee Dragonfly and rides nicer, more vibration and impact absorbtion. A used Beyond in your size at a reasonable price is a lucky find.
LelandJT is offline  
Old 01-30-16, 03:12 PM
  #36  
DubT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,164

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LelandJT View Post
Since I work for Santana my opinion won't mean much to you but I think you'll find that others agree: The Beyond is the same weight as a Calfee Dragonfly and rides nicer, more vibration and impact absorbtion. A used Beyond in your size at a reasonable price is a lucky
find.
Mighty strong statements, and what OBJECTIVE data do you have to back up your claim? Sounds like marketing hype to me!
DubT is offline  
Old 01-30-16, 04:18 PM
  #37  
LelandJT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Lahaina,HI Breckenridge, CO
Posts: 70

Bikes: Santana Beyond & Stylus. Santa Cruz V10, Nomad, Bronson, & 5010. Fuji Transonic, Kestrel Talon, Hongfu rigid 650b, some beach cruisers

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DubT View Post
Mighty strong statements, and what OBJECTIVE data do you have to back up your claim? Sounds like marketing hype to me!
Those don't sound strong or like marketing hype to me. The scale says the frames are the same weight. Riders who have been on both told me the Beyond damped bumps better. Have you heard otherwise? I didn't say it was 112% better, that would sound like marketing hype. Do you not agree those two frames are very close competitors, and if you consider one an upgrade the other is too? If you were searching for a used Calfee and found a Beyond in your size would it not interest you?
LelandJT is offline  
Old 01-30-16, 04:23 PM
  #38  
mtseymour
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 417

Bikes: 2014 Calfee Tetra, 2014 Norco Carbon Sight, 2016 Giant TCR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LelandJT View Post
Since I work for Santana my opinion won't mean much to you but I think you'll find that others agree: The Beyond is the same weight as a Calfee Dragonfly and rides nicer, more vibration and impact absorbtion. A used Beyond in your size at a reasonable price is a lucky find.
The Beyond is certainly a very fine option. However, Santana will be more credible if it spends more time explaining its technology than criticizing the competition.

As for the Beyond's Exogrid/Isogrid technology, I wonder if time has passed it by. If you look at Vyatek's website, it appears that most of its "Strategic Partners" are either defunct or has dropped the Exogrid/Isogrid technology. Titus Cycles is out of business, and Wilson has dropped the Vyatek technology with its recent tennis rackets.

CF frames that don't use a metal matrix/grid can be built for any ride characteristic and shape. Examples are high-end models like Pinarello Dogma, Colgnago C60, Specialized Tarmac, Trek Madone, Cannondale Supersix, Cervelo R5, Calfee Dragonfly, and Landshark tandem. Other frame-builders would license or copy the Vyatek design if it provided superior ride characteristics.
mtseymour is offline  
Old 01-30-16, 04:29 PM
  #39  
DubT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,164

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LelandJT View Post
Those don't sound strong or like marketing hype to me. The scale says the frames are the same weight. Riders who have been on both told me the Beyond damped bumps better. Have you heard otherwise? I didn't say it was 112% better, that would sound like marketing hype. Do you not agree those two frames are very close competitors, and if you consider one an upgrade the other is too? If you were searching for a used Calfee and found a Beyond in your size would it not interest you?
Riders saying that it damped bumps better is still subjective, how much better? What tires, what seatposts, how much air pressure etc.

I would probably not be looking for a used tandem. I bought a used steel Santana 5 years ago and we liked riding tandem so much that we ordered a new Calfee Tetra frame and Enve fork, and then I built it. I would not be interested in another Santana new or used at this time. Too many quirks for my taste.
DubT is offline  
Old 01-30-16, 08:54 PM
  #40  
LelandJT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Lahaina,HI Breckenridge, CO
Posts: 70

Bikes: Santana Beyond & Stylus. Santa Cruz V10, Nomad, Bronson, & 5010. Fuji Transonic, Kestrel Talon, Hongfu rigid 650b, some beach cruisers

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtseymour View Post
The Beyond is certainly a very fine option. However, Santana will be more credible if it spends more time explaining its technology than criticizing the competition.

As for the Beyond's Exogrid/Isogrid technology, I wonder if time has passed it by. If you look at Vyatek's website, it appears that most of its "Strategic Partners" are either defunct or has dropped the Exogrid/Isogrid technology. Titus Cycles is out of business, and Wilson has dropped the Vyatek technology with its recent tennis rackets.

CF frames that don't use a metal matrix/grid can be built for any ride characteristic and shape. Examples are high-end models like Pinarello Dogma, Colgnago C60, Specialized Tarmac, Trek Madone, Cannondale Supersix, Cervelo R5, Calfee Dragonfly, and Landshark tandem. Other frame-builders would license or copy the Vyatek design if it provided superior ride characteristics.
I don't think I was criticizing. I was stating that they are comparable frames. If someone favorably compared the new Bianchi to the Tarmac and said it was supposed to damp vibration better are they criticizing the Tarmac?

The Viatec stuff is because Santana bought the patents, equipement to make tubing, and all the rights. We make tubing for two high end custom single bike companies but not all those other former "partners".

Your list of carbon bikes is a mix of monocoques and lugged. Your statement about carbon optimization refers to monocoque (unlesss you just meant to the extent of speccing custom butted tubes). I don't doubt that a monocoque tandem would be sweet but no one makes it. There's a guy who has a one-off based on the Cervelo Rca. I saw it and its awesome. The frame would cost at least 20 grand.
LelandJT is offline  
Old 01-30-16, 09:13 PM
  #41  
Tandem2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 88

Bikes: Ibis Mojo HDR, Devinci Atlas, Walt Works 29er, Cannondale EVO, Co-Motion Supremo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be honest, I have not really been looking at Santana due to the rider feedback I have gotten. They look like sweet bikes, but I am leaning toward quicker vs stable handleing. Having said that, there is a sweet Ti Santana on eBay I will inquired about today, gotta keep an open mind.
Tandem2 is offline  
Old 01-31-16, 02:42 AM
  #42  
mtseymour
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 417

Bikes: 2014 Calfee Tetra, 2014 Norco Carbon Sight, 2016 Giant TCR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LelandJT View Post
I don't think I was criticizing. I was stating that they are comparable frames. If someone favorably compared the new Bianchi to the Tarmac and said it was supposed to damp vibration better are they criticizing the Tarmac?

Your list of carbon bikes is a mix of monocoques and lugged. Your statement about carbon optimization refers to monocoque (unlesss you just meant to the extent of speccing custom butted tubes). I don't doubt that a monocoque tandem would be sweet but no one makes it. There's a guy who has a one-off based on the Cervelo Rca. I saw it and its awesome. The frame would cost at least 20 grand.
You don't seem to get it. When you say that the Beyond "rides nicer" and has "more vibration and impact absorbtion (sic)" than the Dragonfly, how is that not a criticism? Or is that your form of flattery.

I'm not interested in a Calfee vs Santana debate. I readily accept that the Beyond is a very fine option. However, Santana actually erode its brand when a company representative denigrates another brand. It's different (and acceptable) when owners describe their brand preferences. I don't recall Bianchi, Specialized, Pinarello, Cervelo, etc criticizing other brand in their ads or web postings. Maybe it's just me, but I admire these companies because they can promote their technology and designs without knocking alternative brands.

Customization is not limited to monocoque frames. Tube-and-lug frames are very close to a monocoque design and allow Calfee, Landshark, and Parlee to easily customize the ride, geometry, and weight for each customer. The point is that the vast majority of cutting-edge frame designs don't need the isogrid/Exogrid technology.
mtseymour is offline  
Old 01-31-16, 11:14 AM
  #43  
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene
 
twocicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Posts: 1,986

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
An interesting observation is that I have never seen or heard of any stokers foregoing suspension posts on any Santana model. Why is that?

We previously had a Santana, not a Beyond, that did very much require a sus post. When we got our first Calfee, my stoker readily stated her ride was perfect without a sus post. Same saddle, etc. We know quite a few other Calfee teams that have done the same.

Other than ride characteristics, design is another major issue. Santana's very wide 160mm rear spacing can pose a physical issue for stokers given its Q-factor. These days it is not uncommon to see fat bikes far exceeding that spacing, so obviously there are riders that can adapt to it. However, Santana has done away with the option to go to a more normal single bike stance. It can be a critical make/break point. In our case, my wife sustained severe tendon injuries (and surgery) from riding in a tripod stance, something that had and has never occurred on a normal road or mtn bike setup. Needless to say, she is oh so happy we figured out the problem and we were able to resume tandeming together.

Last edited by twocicle; 01-31-16 at 04:24 PM.
twocicle is offline  
Old 01-31-16, 12:06 PM
  #44  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 21,205

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9242 Post(s)
Liked 2,687 Times in 1,299 Posts
Originally Posted by twocicle View Post
An interesting observation is that I have never seen or heard of any stokers foregoing suspension posts on any Santana model. Why is that?
My wife promptly made me remove her suspension post on our AL Sovereign, the harshest riding of all Santanas. We had 13,000 miles on it when we sold it. So whats your point?

Seriously, not every stoker needs a suspension post on a Santana.

Disclaimer: We now own a Co-Motion Supremo.
__________________

-Dennis T








Last edited by Trsnrtr; 01-31-16 at 12:17 PM.
Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 01-31-16, 01:56 PM
  #45  
colotandem
Senior Member
 
colotandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 366

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post


Good stuff right here!
colotandem is offline  
Old 01-31-16, 04:34 PM
  #46  
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene
 
twocicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Posts: 1,986

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
My wife promptly made me remove her suspension post on our AL Sovereign, the harshest riding of all Santanas. We had 13,000 miles on it when we sold it. So whats your point?

Seriously, not every stoker needs a suspension post on a Santana.

Disclaimer: We now own a Co-Motion Supremo.
Based on our experience, my observation from gatherings and friends across the continent, you are the exception not the norm.

Is your Co-Motion Supremo shod with a suspension post or not?
twocicle is offline  
Old 01-31-16, 05:01 PM
  #47  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 21,205

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9242 Post(s)
Liked 2,687 Times in 1,299 Posts
Originally Posted by twocicle View Post

Is your Co-Motion Supremo shod with a suspension post or not?
Of course not. If my wife didn't use one on the AL Sovereign, there's no reason to use on on our Supremo which has carbon seat posts.
__________________

-Dennis T







Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 01-31-16, 08:24 PM
  #48  
Chancy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: (near)New Orleans, LA.
Posts: 65

Bikes: S&S Santana Beyond & S&S Santana Arriva

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Folks,

I don't think LelandJT is criticizing Calfee at all with his comments. If a Ferrari tops out at 193 mph and a Lamborghini does 204 mph and has a touch more padding in the bucket seats than the Ferrari then yes, the Lamborghini is faster and more comfortable than the Ferrari. That's not to say the Ferrari is by any means SLOW or uncomfortable. Rich at Gear-ToGo Tandems had the opportunity, a few years ago, to put some miles on a Calfee and a Beyond at the same time. I am going from memory here for this was posted on Tandem@hobbes and Alex Whetmore's search engine is defunct so I can't quote verbatim, but Rich said they were both very nice bikes, the Calfee was a little "stiffer, quicker" and the Beyond a little more comfortable. Emphasis on "a little."
Regarding suspension seatposts:
We have owned Santana Arrivas (steel with aluminum seatposts), coupled and not, and have just recently received our new Beyond (carbon seatposts). We have ridden tandems for 15 years now and my wife/stoker has ridden without a suspension for the last 13 years. I know of two other stokers riding Santanas (Team Ti and a Sovereign) without suspension seatposts as well, and I don't ride with other tandems much (not by choice)! I suspect once teams have graduated to premium tandems (Santana Team bikes, Calfee, Paketa, Landshark, etc.) they use suspension posts even less.
Ride what enjoy and enjoy what you ride,
Charlie

P.S. Yes, Bill McCready can be a much at times, but I appreciate a person who speaks his mind and believes in his product. Bill just says what he thinks without being politically correct. That doesn't make his bikes any less than the good product that they are.
Chancy is offline  
Old 02-01-16, 12:14 AM
  #49  
mtseymour
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 417

Bikes: 2014 Calfee Tetra, 2014 Norco Carbon Sight, 2016 Giant TCR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chancy View Post
Folks,

I don't think LelandJT is criticizing Calfee at all with his comments. If a Ferrari tops out at 193 mph and a Lamborghini does 204 mph and has a touch more padding in the bucket seats than the Ferrari then yes, the Lamborghini is faster and more comfortable than the Ferrari. That's not to say the Ferrari is by any means SLOW or uncomfortable. Rich at Gear-ToGo Tandems had the opportunity, a few years ago, to put some miles on a Calfee and a Beyond at the same time. I am going from memory here for this was posted on Tandem@hobbes and Alex Whetmore's search engine is defunct so I can't quote verbatim, but Rich said they were both very nice bikes, the Calfee was a little "stiffer, quicker" and the Beyond a little more comfortable. Emphasis on "a little."

P.S. Yes, Bill McCready can be a much at times, but I appreciate a person who speaks his mind and believes in his product. Bill just says what he thinks without being politically correct. That doesn't make his bikes any less than the good product that they are.
I don't think that Ferrari or Lamborghini has ever commented publicly on the other's performance (eg. "we're faster", "more comfortable"). If they did, I would expect some good numbers to back it up. It's great when a builder offers advice or answer questions about their products. Santana has its share of good ideas but it undermines its credibility when it's so hyper "partisan". BTW, we've owned a Santana and enjoyed it a lot.
mtseymour is offline  
Old 02-01-16, 07:12 AM
  #50  
Tandem2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 88

Bikes: Ibis Mojo HDR, Devinci Atlas, Walt Works 29er, Cannondale EVO, Co-Motion Supremo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone kept track of Calfee Tetra frame updates year to year?
How would a 09 frame differ from a 16?
I understand their was a change to a new tube supplier?
I read tandem geeks eccentric issues, was that still an issue in 09?
Tandem2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.