Notices

Ms 150

Old 09-26-19, 06:32 AM
  #701  
SaintArnoldBike
Bikes and beers
 
SaintArnoldBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
They probably lose a bunch of Houston riders that looked forward to a fun Sunday evening in Austin.
They may lose some but those people were probably looking for an excuse to bail out anyway. Honestly believe finishing in College Station with a warm welcome, instead of a lackluster one in COTA, will end up with a net positive. May not happen this year but if it's successful, word of mouth alone will drive up the numbers going forward.
SaintArnoldBike is offline  
Old 09-26-19, 07:30 AM
  #702  
Mitkraft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintArnoldBike View Post
They may lose some but those people were probably looking for an excuse to bail out anyway. Honestly believe finishing in College Station with a warm welcome, instead of a lackluster one in COTA, will end up with a net positive. May not happen this year but if it's successful, word of mouth alone will drive up the numbers going forward.
I agree completely and think the "people who bail because it doesn't end in Austin" will probably be offset by Aggies who are excited to finish at Kyle Field. The real delta to me is still the loss of the ride through the park for the Houston folks. Given how many people skip the park though I'm betting it doesn't result in a loss of numbers. I'm actually considering starting in Austin instead of Houston just so I can ride it.
Mitkraft is offline  
Old 10-02-19, 07:37 AM
  #703  
Tanstaafl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 162

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrails

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts
Here are the Day Two routes from La Grange to College Station. The routes are split at the start for about the first 20 miles. This is done to help spread the riders out. Putting all 8000+ riders on the same road at once would not be a good idea. Spacing the waves far enough apart to keep it safe would take way too long, so there will be two routes at the beginning. The Day Two routes come together at Carmine.

West Route

East Route
Tanstaafl is offline  
Old 10-03-19, 05:37 AM
  #704  
SaintArnoldBike
Bikes and beers
 
SaintArnoldBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitkraft View Post
I agree completely and think the "people who bail because it doesn't end in Austin" will probably be offset by Aggies who are excited to finish at Kyle Field. The real delta to me is still the loss of the ride through the park for the Houston folks. Given how many people skip the park though I'm betting it doesn't result in a loss of numbers. I'm actually considering starting in Austin instead of Houston just so I can ride it.
In hindsight, grateful I did the park for the last two years (though sucked at the time). Back when the park was open and we finished in downtown, made the overall experience of Day 2 extra special but last couple years were... anticlimactic(?). All things considered, think this is best case scenario for the ride going forward.
SaintArnoldBike is offline  
Old 10-31-19, 10:53 AM
  #705  
Tanstaafl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 162

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrails

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
May 2/3 are in the middle of the college student's final exam.

it interesting that TAMU approved a major event during Final.
Nothing going on at Kyle Field that weekend. They will have up to 100,000 at a home football game. They will handle our 15,000 or so with one no trouble at at all!

Last edited by Tanstaafl; 10-31-19 at 08:18 PM.
Tanstaafl is offline  
Old 11-16-19, 03:40 PM
  #706  
SaintArnoldBike
Bikes and beers
 
SaintArnoldBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
May 2/3 are in the middle of the college student's final exam.

it interesting that TAMU approved a major event during Final.
The Aggie students, alumni, and family have an opportunity to show up ATX. Do you think the majority will be cramming for finals or looking for an excuse to party?

EDIT: Woohoo! 10 posts and I can finally posts links!
SaintArnoldBike is offline  
Old 12-09-20, 10:18 AM
  #707  
Scott P
Senior Member
 
Scott P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Porter, TX
Posts: 160

Bikes: 2015 Giant Defy 2, 2004 Gary Fisher Marlin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like the MS Society is doing all it can to make sure we get a ride this year. It's a one day ride with the usual cast of characters in starting points and ending at Kyle Field. No overnight stays to worry about and probably a fair bit of festivities. I do wonder how the corporate teams will participate with their group gathering regulations. Maybe by then, the numbers will be down enough to get a few thousand riders together safely. I will admit that any desire to train really went out the door without a target ride to shoot for. Hopefully this will get be back on the Peloton and Defy with some sort of regularity and intensity.
Scott P is offline  
Old 12-09-20, 09:12 PM
  #708  
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
Thread Starter
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 3,283
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 166 Posts
To be honest I forgot they usually roll out the dates and info in November or December. Havenít even been thinking about it. Not sure if Iíll be doing it this year or not - will definitely depend on the status of Covid. But I think the idea of a single day ride is smart.
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline  
Old 05-11-21, 08:03 AM
  #709  
Scott P
Senior Member
 
Scott P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Porter, TX
Posts: 160

Bikes: 2015 Giant Defy 2, 2004 Gary Fisher Marlin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 2021 MS150 being rained out seemed to be a disappointing but unsurprising finish. I know our little team shrank from 15 to 4 riders. I know I had a hard time getting pumped up for it. It was announced late and it was a one day ride. Sure, finishing at Kyle Field wound have been neat, but still, training rides are just as long and only one day. I fully understand the issues with the ride. COVID is still an issue and it's not easy to make a ride safe for a few thousand riders. Toss in a lack of training rides for these same reasons and a freeze that hurt a bunch of people and I can see why interest was down. Despite the miserable forecast, they tried their best to pull off the ride. They even re-routed the Katy and Waller routes after some roads were flooded after Friday's rain. I made the decision Friday night not to ride. My wife and kids (7 year old twins) were set to hang out in Navasota in case I needed a weather-related SAG if needed, but I just didn't want to risk it and try to outrun the storms. I woke up at 4:00 am, checked the radar for the ride area and saw a hug blob of yellow and red. I knew then the ride was going to be cancelled. The message came an hour later. That just sucked and I felt bad for everyone involved.

I ended up doing 79 miles (I start at Waller) between the Peloton and an outdoor finishing ride with the skies cleared. It wasn't the same, but I did put the mileage in. I stayed dry (at least from rain), did not fall or crash and didn't have to come back from College Station. The kids were disappointed though. Not disappointed in the ride being cancelled, but in the fact they didn't get to go to Buc-ee's. Poor things...
Scott P is offline  
Old 05-12-21, 08:42 AM
  #710  
texbiker
Senior Member
 
texbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kingwood, TX
Posts: 992

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey R300

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
The 2021 MS150 being rained out seemed to be a disappointing but unsurprising finish. I know our little team shrank from 15 to 4 riders. I know I had a hard time getting pumped up for it. It was announced late and it was a one day ride. Sure, finishing at Kyle Field wound have been neat, but still, training rides are just as long and only one day. I fully understand the issues with the ride. COVID is still an issue and it's not easy to make a ride safe for a few thousand riders. Toss in a lack of training rides for these same reasons and a freeze that hurt a bunch of people and I can see why interest was down. Despite the miserable forecast, they tried their best to pull off the ride. They even re-routed the Katy and Waller routes after some roads were flooded after Friday's rain. I made the decision Friday night not to ride. My wife and kids (7 year old twins) were set to hang out in Navasota in case I needed a weather-related SAG if needed, but I just didn't want to risk it and try to outrun the storms. I woke up at 4:00 am, checked the radar for the ride area and saw a hug blob of yellow and red. I knew then the ride was going to be cancelled. The message came an hour later. That just sucked and I felt bad for everyone involved.

I ended up doing 79 miles (I start at Waller) between the Peloton and an outdoor finishing ride with the skies cleared. It wasn't the same, but I did put the mileage in. I stayed dry (at least from rain), did not fall or crash and didn't have to come back from College Station. The kids were disappointed though. Not disappointed in the ride being cancelled, but in the fact they didn't get to go to Buc-ee's. Poor things...
In retrospect maybe delaying the start would've worked?
texbiker is offline  
Old 05-12-21, 01:01 PM
  #711  
Scott P
Senior Member
 
Scott P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Porter, TX
Posts: 160

Bikes: 2015 Giant Defy 2, 2004 Gary Fisher Marlin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texbiker View Post
In retrospect maybe delaying the start would've worked?

I don't think so. That area got a ton of rain Friday overnight into Saturday morning. The weather radar had red and yellow spots along the route up until at least 10:00 am. If parts of the routes were already underwater after Friday, then even more would have been underwater Saturday. The rest stops were probably super wet too. Toss a few thousand riders and you have a mud hole. Sure, some hard core riders wouldn't mind, but the majority of riders are in it for fun. Plus, you need to consider the volunteers and staff. It just wasn't safe. A SAG team operating at 50% capacity due to social distancing was a factor too. The MS Society has had a pretty rough go of things since I started riding back in 2015.

2015 and 2016 were one day events due to massive rains (including the tax day floods in 2016)
2017 had a miserable day two with a 15-20 mph headwind the entire route. Plus, a two hour delay due to overnight storms that hit La Grange. Damn cold and wet start too.
2018 and 2019 were actually pretty good weather-wise. COTA was a hot mess though, especially trying to get out of there in 2018. The tram broke down and tired ass riders had to hike up a big hill just to sit in a car trying to get out of the parking lot.
2020 was, well, subject to 2020
2021 of course was cancelled.

Maybe 2022 can get things back to normal with actual training/t-shirt rides and a big two day event.
Scott P is offline  
Old 05-13-21, 10:30 AM
  #712  
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
Thread Starter
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 3,283
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 166 Posts
Yeah I haven't ridden since 2018. I miss it, but it's just been a mess these last few years. Hoping it can be back to normal 2 days next year since I want to get back to doing it. I've done it 5 times already but I'd love to crack 10!
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline  
Old 01-13-22, 12:41 PM
  #713  
SaintArnoldBike
Bikes and beers
 
SaintArnoldBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Dusting off this thread to say our team is nearly full and closing on Sunday (1/16). If you're looking for weekly training rides, a sweet jersey, accommodations in La Grange and College Station, lots of beer, and good times -> CLICK ME FOR MORE INFO




Cheers!
SaintArnoldBike is offline  
Likes For SaintArnoldBike:
Old 01-13-22, 06:14 PM
  #714  
Mitkraft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Sounds like a sweet deal! Iím signed up with Team Shell and looking forward to a proper MS150 this year!
Mitkraft is offline  
Old 01-16-22, 06:45 PM
  #715  
msd3075
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SaintArnoldBike View Post
Dusting off this thread to say our team is nearly full and closing on Sunday (1/16). If you're looking for weekly training rides, a sweet jersey, accommodations in La Grange and College Station, lots of beer, and good times -> CLICK ME FOR MORE INFO




Cheers!
It's only really worth it if you can guarantee that at some point we'll have some Texas Wheat.
msd3075 is offline  
Likes For msd3075:
Old 01-20-22, 08:02 AM
  #716  
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
Thread Starter
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 3,283
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 166 Posts
I still didn't sign up this year - waiting until Covid is past us I think before returning. But man do I miss it!
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline  
Old 06-15-22, 05:24 PM
  #717  
Prunesquallor
Junior Member
 
Prunesquallor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: US Gulf Coast
Posts: 24

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710 Resto-mod with Shimano R7000 comps

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
That's it? No one making inputs? Here's mine:

My first MS150. Good ride. I left from Waller, so "only" had 80 miles the first day. A little light sprinkle in the morning, but got pretty hot in the afternoon (low 90's I think). Pretty hilly that afternoon, too. I didnít do too many of the festivities at LaGrange. I snagged a motel and had a nice cool shower and hit the sheets pretty early. Sunday morning was a good start. Again a bit of rain and another hot, hilly afternoon. The finish at Kyle Field was a nice touch.

Great experience. Looking forward to next year.





Prunesquallor is offline  
Likes For Prunesquallor:
Old 06-18-22, 09:00 PM
  #718  
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
Thread Starter
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 3,283
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 166 Posts
Glad your first was a success!
We started from Waller for our first back in 2014 as well - didn't think we could do the 100 yet. But I've done it every time since. Though they keep changing the starting point lol. Weather is the biggest factor in whether or not the weekend sucks balls or not. Thankfully every year I've done it the weather has cooperated - except some wind sometimes.

I'm hoping to get back into it next year, because I'd love to see the new route to College Station and riding into the stadium seems like it'd be cool. It seemed a little anti-climactic though from a lot of the video I saw where there really wasn't anyone in the stands cheering. Should have moved all the people that lined the streets at the finish line in Austin to there!
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline  
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 06-19-22, 06:08 AM
  #719  
Prunesquallor
Junior Member
 
Prunesquallor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: US Gulf Coast
Posts: 24

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710 Resto-mod with Shimano R7000 comps

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Sunday from LaGrange to College Station felt a lot like Saturday, fairly easy-going in the morning with some knarly hills in the afternoon. The last 20 miles or so flattened out a bit. Lunch was at the Somerville Lake park, so that was nice.
Prunesquallor is offline  
Likes For Prunesquallor:
Old 06-19-22, 11:22 AM
  #720  
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
Thread Starter
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 3,283
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 166 Posts
I will say you're missing out on the overnight at the fairgrounds. If you ride with a well supported team, its a great time. I usually skip all the festivities and just eat and relax and get a massage, but the vibes in the park are great. And I don't mind sleeping in the tents on an air mattress. Part of the fun.

But I definitely see the allure of a shower and a private comfy bed lol
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ColnagoC40
Professional Cycling For the Fans
3
07-09-14 08:04 AM
Creakyknees
Professional Cycling For the Fans
10
03-26-14 12:32 PM
Dolamite02
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing
10
01-11-14 06:35 PM
downtube42
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
17
12-06-13 04:13 PM
Homeyba
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
14
03-30-11 08:32 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.