Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pros and Cons of a Breakaway/Coupled Touring FrameSet

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pros and Cons of a Breakaway/Coupled Touring FrameSet

Old 10-12-16, 11:45 AM
  #51  
Dream Cyclery
Wheel Builder
 
Dream Cyclery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't had a chance to travel on domestic airlines with my coupled bike. Oversea airlines are much generous than domestic ones and none of the Asian airlines charged me even when I travel with a full-size bike case.
Dream Cyclery is offline  
Old 10-12-16, 11:45 AM
  #52  
BigAura
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,381

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd View Post
and ... what happened? Did they charge you a fee? Or you inherently saying if you had said it was a "bicycle" not "bicycle parts" you would have been charge the fee despite it fitting in regulation-compliant boxes.
They did not charge me a fee.

In fact, I was flying Southwest (continental US) and they allow two regulation-bags even on my cheapo-discount-ticket, so no bag fees. I have no idea whether I would have had to pay a bicycle fee if I said "bicycle", but I'd read that online somewhere (probably here on BikeForums) so I said "bicycle parts".
BigAura is offline  
Old 10-13-16, 11:30 PM
  #53  
DropBarFan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,834

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Flew 2 R/T's domestically in USA with S&S bike, IIRC once was on JetBlue & the other maybe Delta or United. Didn't get charged a bike fee. AA & United policy seems pretty clear about not charging bike fee for S&S luggage, Delta is weirdly ambiguous. I'd avoid Delta if it wasn't too much expense or trouble but I'd reckon the check-in staff are more usually more concerned with moving the line along than hassling over dubious S&S fees.

Impressive to read how Asian airlines treat bikers nicer than US or Euro. IMO airports & airlines should have a co-op reasonably-priced rental system for sturdy bike crates. Eliminates waste of cardboard disposable boxes & allows bikers to ride in/out of airports.
DropBarFan is offline  
Old 10-14-16, 08:15 AM
  #54  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 5,769

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura View Post
...

In fact, I was flying Southwest (continental US) and they allow two regulation-bags even on my cheapo-discount-ticket, so no bag fees. I have no idea whether I would have had to pay a bicycle fee if I said "bicycle", but I'd read that online somewhere (probably here on BikeForums) so I said "bicycle parts".
I have always flown Delta, largely because at my small community airport Delta has a near monopoly. But this coming Christmas I am flying Southwest (after driving or taking a bus 100 miles to a different airport) and am considering taking my bike along.

Southwest luggage policy is very clear that a case that meets the 62 inch criteria will not have an extra fee, even if it contains a bicycle (non-motorized). Bikes are listed under sports equipment at this link:
https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...ggage-pol.html
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 10-14-16, 09:01 AM
  #55  
Inpd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,825
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
I have always flown Delta, largely because at my small community airport Delta has a near monopoly. But this coming Christmas I am flying Southwest (after driving or taking a bus 100 miles to a different airport) and am considering taking my bike along.

Southwest luggage policy is very clear that a case that meets the 62 inch criteria will not have an extra fee, even if it contains a bicycle (non-motorized). Bikes are listed under sports equipment at this link:
https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...ggage-pol.html
Were you drinking when you posted this?

The link points to (in my browser) the policy for carrying alcohol in checked luggage

Seriously, it would be great if people could point to the online rules they refer to. I'm having a tough time finding all the policies people are referring to.
Inpd is offline  
Old 10-14-16, 09:11 AM
  #56  
BigAura
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,381

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
I have always flown Delta, largely because at my small community airport Delta has a near monopoly. But this coming Christmas I am flying Southwest (after driving or taking a bus 100 miles to a different airport) and am considering taking my bike along.

Southwest luggage policy is very clear that a case that meets the 62 inch criteria will not have an extra fee, even if it contains a bicycle (non-motorized). Bikes are listed under sports equipment at this link:
https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...ggage-pol.html
Cool. Thanks for the info. I was never really worried when checking anyway but it's good to know.

In my two boxes I mixed gear and bike parts. The soft gear made for nice padding.

My one-way ticket Washington DC to Milwaukee, WS was $104 including the two check boxes. I only carried-on a few personal items.

The only minor issue was that TSA mussed my already messy looking packing

Last edited by BigAura; 10-14-16 at 09:17 AM.
BigAura is offline  
Old 10-14-16, 09:18 AM
  #57  
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Posts: 5,214

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura View Post
The only minor issue was that TSA mussed my already messy looking packing

I don't put any gear in with my bike for two reasons. First, bike + case + tools is usually 47.5-48 pounds, perilously close to the 50 pound overweight bogey.


Second, TSA makes a mess of my nicely-packed bike and never repacks it right, leading to damage when some ape sits on the case to re-close it. So far the worst has been scratches and a bashed-in barcon that had to be replaced. Now I dismount the front tire and stuff it in the lid so they can see everything without screwing it all up.
pdlamb is offline  
Old 10-14-16, 09:22 AM
  #58  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 5,769

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd View Post
Were you drinking when you posted this?

The link points to (in my browser) the policy for carrying alcohol in checked luggage

Seriously, it would be great if people could point to the online rules they refer to. I'm having a tough time finding all the policies people are referring to.
The reason I specifically said in my posting that "Bikes are listed under sports equipment ..." is because although that page comes up with the first of many items (alcohol), you have to click on Sports Equipment yourself.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 10-14-16, 09:34 AM
  #59  
BigAura
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,381

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
Second, TSA makes a mess of my nicely-packed bike and never repacks it right, leading to damage when some ape sits on the case to re-close it. So far the worst has been scratches and a bashed-in barcon that had to be replaced. Now I dismount the front tire and stuff it in the lid so they can see everything without screwing it all up.
Yea, I'm not sure why the TSA would worry about a box full of pipes & wires*

*aka frame-tubing & cables
BigAura is offline  
Old 10-14-16, 10:24 AM
  #60  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,398

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6839 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 217 Times in 180 Posts
As I said, the people paid by the Airline have motivations to get that "It's a Bike" Fee $, they can and have

required the Case be opened, and won't let you board if you refuse.




'/,
fietsbob is offline  
Old 10-20-16, 09:41 PM
  #61  
DropBarFan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,834

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura View Post
Yea, I'm not sure why the TSA would worry about a box full of pipes & wires*

*aka frame-tubing & cables
OK, but I wonder how much safety info the TSA can glean from taking stuff out for visual inspection. They can't see thru frame tubes that way vs looking at packed case with x-ray. At least they should ask customer to help; one would think that would actually be safer since they have guidelines to supposedly help spot troublemakers.

Most thorough bag inspection I've seen was when stashing a suitcase at Amsterdam train station lockers, 2 attendants scrutinized the suitcase in x-ray machine for 5 minutes, discussing little things that could be a concern. They never opened the suitcase though. IMO TSA opening coupler-bike cases is CYA nonsense.
DropBarFan is offline  
Old 10-20-16, 09:54 PM
  #62  
alan s 
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,617
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
I took Southwest earlier this year, and no one asked what was in my bags. They just checked it in like any other luggage. The TSA didn't mess anything up, and didn't appear to have even opened the bike case.
alan s is online now  
Old 10-21-16, 09:37 AM
  #63  
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Posts: 5,214

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan View Post
OK, but I wonder how much safety info the TSA can glean from taking stuff out for visual inspection. They can't see thru frame tubes that way vs looking at packed case with x-ray. At least they should ask customer to help; one would think that would actually be safer since they have guidelines to supposedly help spot troublemakers.

IMO TSA opening coupler-bike cases is CYA nonsense.


Speaking of CYA nonsense...


True story: At one job, building management was nervous about letting me park my bike inside because of the bike bomb a while back where the bad guys stuffed explosives into the bike frame. The compromise we worked out was they let me park the bike in a stair well, and inspected my panniers every day when I brought them by the security office.
pdlamb is offline  
Old 10-21-16, 10:07 AM
  #64  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,061
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1700 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
As I said, the people paid by the Airline have motivations to get that "It's a Bike" Fee $, they can and have required the Case be opened, and won't let you board if you refuse.
The TSA isn't the "Airlines". The TSA has nothing to do with the "It's a bike" fee.
njkayaker is online now  
Old 10-21-16, 11:14 AM
  #65  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,398

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6839 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 217 Times in 180 Posts
But the counter people can And Have demanded to see 'what is in the Case'... , Or No Boarding Pass.

You dont Leave ,,, It Is in their Power . this is ahead of the TSA inspection Scan.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 10-21-16, 11:24 AM
  #66  
saddlesores
Senior Member
 
saddlesores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangkok...and....Hainan
Posts: 2,945

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
Speaking of CYA nonsense....
long, long ago, finished up a tour in west germany, arrived in
small town to catch the british duty train back to the unit. checked
in at the rto; hadda show id card, passport, berth reservation and
flag orders signed by the general's own rubber stamp. was allowed
to leave my saddlebags in the rto storage room while heading
back into town for lunch. upon return was told my bags were
removed by the mp's as a potential bomb threat. hadda then
locate the mp station on the edge of town, retrieve bags....
resting dangerously under the desk sergeant's desk...barely
made it back before the train left. crazy brits then wouldn't
let me in the dining car. no shorts. not even presentable
khakis. nearly died of starvation (but not hypothermia).
saddlesores is offline  
Old 10-21-16, 08:43 PM
  #67  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,061
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1700 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
But the counter people can And Have demanded to see 'what is in the Case'... , Or No Boarding Pass.

You dont Leave ,,, It Is in their Power . this is ahead of the TSA inspection Scan.
This is mostly BS.

The counter people look at weight and size. It is unusual that they would look inside.

The TSA scans stuff with x-rays and will look inside if things look odd.
njkayaker is online now  
Old 10-21-16, 09:55 PM
  #68  
Doug64
Senior Member
 
Doug64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,477
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Every time I have shipped my bike by air, TSA has opened the box and inspected and collected samples at various places inside the box. They hardly ever lifted anything out of the box, especially if they could easily reach inside.

From TSA blog site:
"ETD tests are used in checkpoint, checked baggage, and cargo environments. We swab things such as laptops, shoes, film, cell phones, bags, wheelchairs, hands, casts - you name it. Certain procedures call for an ETD test.

Basically, our officers run the white swab over the area in question to collect a trace sample. They then place the swab in the ETD machinery which analyzes the sample for extremely small traces of explosives. The test takes a matter of seconds."
The TSA Blog: Explosive Trace Detection Usage Expanded: Give Us A Hand

I've always had good experiences with our local TSA folks, PDX. I just talk to them and am polite. I also pack our bikes so they are easy to inspect. I have never shipped my wife's bike uncoupled. It is more hassle than it is worth. I also only use minimal tape where I want the TSA folks to open the box. They always do a much better job of retaping than I do.

They have even let me take photos of them at work, which is unusual.

Last edited by Doug64; 10-21-16 at 10:01 PM.
Doug64 is offline  
Old 10-21-16, 09:59 PM
  #69  
saddlesores
Senior Member
 
saddlesores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangkok...and....Hainan
Posts: 2,945

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
This is mostly BS.

The counter people look at weight and size. It is unusual that they would look inside.

The TSA scans stuff with x-rays and will look inside if things look odd.

here in china (at the airports i've been thru), there are big honkin' xray machines
co-located with the check-in desks. counter agents will send all your bags thru xray
before handing back passport and boarding pass. anything questionable is questioned
there in your presents, passenger opens luggage and removes non-check baggage
items like power-banks. less worry of things going missing.....

larger packages must be wheeled to the end of the row for scanning, then return to
pickup boarding pass.

other asian countries have bulky/oversize counters where you handover your box
for scanning and getting of baggage ticket, after you get your boarding pass.
saddlesores is offline  
Old 10-21-16, 10:46 PM
  #70  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,061
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1700 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores View Post
here in china (at the airports i've been thru), there are big honkin' xray machines
co-located with the check-in desks. counter agents will send all your bags thru xray
before handing back passport and boarding pass. anything questionable is questioned
there in your presents, passenger opens luggage and removes non-check baggage
items like power-banks. less worry of things going missing.....

larger packages must be wheeled to the end of the row for scanning, then return to
pickup boarding pass.

other asian countries have bulky/oversize counters where you handover your box
for scanning and getting of baggage ticket, after you get your boarding pass.
Things could be different in China/Asia.
njkayaker is online now  
Old 10-22-16, 10:31 AM
  #71  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,398

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6839 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 217 Times in 180 Posts
I am Quoting a cyclist Met in My Local bike shop (starting his tour From Here ) who spent the Big Bucks for an S&S coupled Bike
and still got charged the fee By the airline , FACT.

believe what you want .. just be ready to cough up the fee when it happens to You.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 10-22-16, 09:59 PM
  #72  
Inpd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,825
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To quote Donald Trump ...

This is HUUUUGE!

Seriously, if this is correct (others please confirm) then what's the point of getting a coupled frameset?

Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
I am Quoting a cyclist Met in My Local bike shop (starting his tour From Here ) who spent the Big Bucks for an S&S coupled Bike
and still got charged the fee By the airline , FACT.

believe what you want .. just be ready to cough up the fee when it happens to You.
Inpd is offline  
Old 10-22-16, 10:58 PM
  #73  
MassiveD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesn't happen every time. But it depends on your mindset, if you are the kind of person who worries for a month before whether you are going to pay that fee, well that sucks too.

I think someone needs to push back on the airlines. They are massive global polluters. The idea they are biasing transportation so people will be less likely to travel by bike is insane at every level.
MassiveD is offline  
Old 10-23-16, 06:28 AM
  #74  
schnee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd View Post
This is HUUUUGE!

Seriously, if this is correct (others please confirm) then what's the point of getting a coupled frameset?
I've all over the world with my S&S bike. The only time I ever paid a fee was when the box was over weight. When that sort of thing happens, from my experience, I'd guess it's rare.

That said, they couplers have even helped in situations that had nothing to do with flying. I had to take a bus from Turkey to Bulgaria (long story), and the buses had a 'no bikes' policy; they only accepted it once it was inside the S&S case and looked like regular luggage. On the same trip I got caught in a snow storm in Bosnia and had to throw the bike inside a taxi van, and it was packed full of people and luggage; being able to 'split' the frame in half was the only way I made that trip.

So, if you're going to do highly structured point-to-point rides, they may not be so useful. But, they open up options in odd situations.
schnee is offline  
Old 10-23-16, 08:30 AM
  #75  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 5,769

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
I am Quoting a cyclist Met in My Local bike shop (starting his tour From Here ) who spent the Big Bucks for an S&S coupled Bike
and still got charged the fee By the airline , FACT.

believe what you want .. just be ready to cough up the fee when it happens to You.
Originally Posted by Inpd View Post
This is HUUUUGE!

Seriously, if this is correct (others please confirm) then what's the point of getting a coupled frameset?
When I have heard this story before, I always heard that it was Delta that charged the fee. I am not going to say it did not happen, but I flew Delta in June and July of this year and I did not pay a bike fee. I had to pay a second checked bag fee and that was all. If asked I would have said bike parts were in the 26X26X10 inch case. And that was true, some of my bike parts were in other luggage so I could have honestly said that it was not a complete bike in that one case. But, I was not asked. I also was wearing my bike helmet at the time, so if they were watching for bikers, I would have rang their fee alarm pretty loudly. I did not want my helmet to be crushed by baggage handlers, thus wore it onto the plane.

Originally Posted by schnee View Post
I've all over the world with my S&S bike. The only time I ever paid a fee was when the box was over weight. When that sort of thing happens, from my experience, I'd guess it's rare.

That said, they couplers have even helped in situations that had nothing to do with flying. I had to take a bus from Turkey to Bulgaria (long story), and the buses had a 'no bikes' policy; they only accepted it once it was inside the S&S case and looked like regular luggage. On the same trip I got caught in a snow storm in Bosnia and had to throw the bike inside a taxi van, and it was packed full of people and luggage; being able to 'split' the frame in half was the only way I made that trip.

So, if you're going to do highly structured point-to-point rides, they may not be so useful. But, they open up options in odd situations.
I always carry a luggage scale. My last tour the limit (Delta) was 50 pounds, my scale said 48.5 pounds for my two checked bags and Deltas scale said 49 pounds. I never know if the airport scale is accurate so I try to stay one to two pounds below the limit. I would not be surprised if they have their scales plugged into the fare computer to automatically tell them to add the overweight fee.

I fully agree with you on the other advantages of having a bike with couplers. I previously made the comment below:

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
...
I also could take a taxi (and it was a Prius) to the airport, most taxis in my area can't carry a bike box. So that make getting to the airport and home again later much easier, I did not need to impose on a friend with a truck or minivan to take me both ways.
...
Also, I am traveling to see family at Christmas this year, I am considering taking a bike in the S&S case because I am flying Southwest and the second checked bag would fly for free. I have never flown Southwest before, but if I can bring a bike for an occasional ride while staying with family for a week, why not bring it?
Tourist in MSN is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.