Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ale Trail Tours?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ale Trail Tours?

Old 10-24-16, 06:51 PM
  #1  
rdrummond
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 28

Bikes: Surly Straggler, Cannondale CAAD9, Trek 7200 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ale Trail Tours?

Anyone know of any touring routes designed to hit well-known breweries/brew pubs, etc. ? Like an "Ale Trail", but for bikes ?
rdrummond is offline  
Old 10-24-16, 08:25 PM
  #2  
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly
 
jonc123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Show Me State
Posts: 680

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rdrummond
Anyone know of any touring routes designed to hit well-known breweries/brew pubs, etc. ? Like an "Ale Trail", but for bikes ?
The following is in NW Arkansas. A 37 mile trail runs through NW Arkansas called the Razorback Trail. All of the breweries are near the trail; some are 10' from the trail, one is about 3-4 miles. Most are right near the trail. You have about a dozen breweries to choose from. One of them is a cider place. Some of the breweries are connected by side trails. I have been to every one of them multiple times.

Fayetteville Ale Trail

Razorback Regional Greenway | NWA Trails

Another area is Des Moines, IA. They have an extensive trail network with a bunch of breweries near the trails. I have been to some of the breweries.

I can send you a file that open up in Google Earth or a file that will open up in Google Maps. You can put it into Google Drive and sync it with a phone that has Google Maps. The one I have for Arkansas I have revised many times and it is accurate. I have many many hours into these maps. The one I have for Iowa I have been working on and have rode most of the trails in and around Des Moines. They have a very active bicycling/drinking population in Iowa. They like beer. They like bicycles.

I have camping on these maps also; haven't camped at many of them, I have a few favorites. Make note that at the end of Octocer, it seems that every campground in Iowa closes.

These maps look wonderful on my I-Phone. I haven't found anything online that is better; my maps have all the breweries and other wonderful places. I don't have the five star eats on these maps, I have the "interesting" places to eat at. I should say interesting places that have good food.

Minneapolis, MN. would be another possibility, I've only been to Surly Brewing up there and haven't worked on maps yet.

Get me your E-mail, maps are free.

Here is what a brewery in Ankeny, IA. looks like on a Saturday:



Here ya go, Ozark Hillbilly in IA, corn, beans and a Long Haul trucker:



An example of what my maps look like on Google Earth for the IA trails. I can't do screenshots of my I-Phone. Ignore the black line, it is for another purpose.



Change the video settings on Youtube to 1080/60 and you'll see what an I-Phone 6 will do at the hands of a dummy. This was on the High Trestle Trail in IA. The video is boring, but look at that nice concrete...


Last edited by jonc123; 10-24-16 at 08:52 PM.
jonc123 is offline  
Old 10-24-16, 08:44 PM
  #3  
Caymandiver1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
The following is in NW Arkansas. A 37 mile trail runs through NW Arkansas called the Razorback Trail. All of the breweries are near the trail; some are 10' from the trail, one is about 3-4 miles. Most are right near the trail. You have about a dozen breweries to choose from. One of them is a cider place. Some of the breweries are connected by side trails. I have been to every one of them multiple times.

Fayetteville Ale Trail

Razorback Regional Greenway | NWA Trails

Another area is Des Moines, IA. They have an extensive trail network with a bunch of breweries near the trails. I have been to some of the breweries.

I can send you a file that open up in Google Earth or a file that will open up in Google Maps. You can put it into Google Drive and sync it with a phone that has Google Maps. The one I have for Arkansas I have revised many times and it is accurate. I have many many hours into these maps. The one I have for Iowa I have been working on and have rode most of the trails in and around Des Moines. They have a very active bicycling/drinking population in Iowa. They like beer. They like bicycles.

I have camping on these maps also; haven't camped at many of them, I have a few favorites. Make note that at the end of Octocer, it seems that every campground in Iowa closes.

These maps look wonderful on my I-Phone. I haven't found anything online that is better; my maps have all the breweries and other wonderful places. I don't have the five star eats on these maps, I have the "interesting" places to eat at. I should say interesting places that have good food.

Minneapolis, MN. would be another possibility, I've only been to Surly Brewing up there and haven't worked on maps yet.

Get me your E-mail, maps are free.

Here is what a brewery in Ankeny, IA. looks like on a Saturday:



Here ya go, Ozark Hillbilly in IA, corn, beans and a Long Haul trucker:



An example of what my maps look like on Google Earth for the IA trails. I can't do screenshots of my I-Phone. Ignore the black line, it is for another purpose.

Doing the one in Fayetteville Arkansas this week.
Caymandiver1 is offline  
Old 10-24-16, 08:59 PM
  #4  
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly
 
jonc123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Show Me State
Posts: 680

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Caymandiver1
Doing the one in Fayetteville Arkansas this week.
If you have a smartphone with Google Maps, you'll be amazed by the map I have. I usually park at the north end, head south and camp at the Cow Patty Campground. The owner is a lady named Patty.

I might see ya!

Have fun, and if you want more specifics I'll have the answers. I know the area well. Very well. My favorites are Fossil Cove, Bicycle rack and Columbus. You should have great weather from the looks.

Here is an example, zoomed way out of the NW AR area...this looks great in GE or Google Maps, much better than upload to FlickR...



And a bit more zoome in...


Last edited by jonc123; 10-24-16 at 09:07 PM.
jonc123 is offline  
Old 10-24-16, 09:00 PM
  #5  
saddlesores
Senior Member
 
saddlesores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Thailand..........Nakhon Nowhere
Posts: 3,549

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 188 Posts
Originally Posted by rdrummond
Anyone know of any touring routes designed to hit well-known breweries/brew pubs, etc. ? Like an "Ale Trail", but for bikes ?
you dinna say where.....so....how about germany?

southern germany in particular, thousands and thousands,
dare i say tens of thousands of tiny breweries. almost
every small town and village has at least one producing
mainly for local consumption.

who needs well-known brews? the bestest stuff is local.
saddlesores is offline  
Old 10-24-16, 09:08 PM
  #6  
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly
 
jonc123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Show Me State
Posts: 680

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
you dinna say where.....so....how about germany?

southern germany in particular, thousands and thousands,
dare i say tens of thousands of tiny breweries. almost
every small town and village has at least one producing
mainly for local consumption.

who needs well-known brews? the bestest stuff is local.
Tens of thousands in the US. Yes, the best is local.
jonc123 is offline  
Old 10-24-16, 09:14 PM
  #7  
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly
 
jonc123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Show Me State
Posts: 680

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
High Trestle Trail Near Des Moines; this is a good thread, someone actually asking about touring some place!:


Last edited by jonc123; 10-25-16 at 02:45 PM.
jonc123 is offline  
Old 10-25-16, 10:35 AM
  #8  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 853 Posts
Ireland, Britain, Belgium, Bavaria, Bohemia, Or say Oregon Coast; Oregon Coast Breweries ? Oregon Craft Beer
fietsbob is offline  
Old 10-25-16, 12:20 PM
  #9  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 36,675
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16948 Post(s)
Liked 12,474 Times in 5,910 Posts
The Finger Lakes has some good riding:


Finger Lakes Beer Trail | New York State's Premier Craft Beer Destination
indyfabz is offline  
Old 10-25-16, 01:11 PM
  #10  
VT_Speed_TR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not cycling specific, but easy to follow routes and a passport card to Vermont's micro breweries

Brewery Challenge & Beer Trails Vermont Brewers Association
VT_Speed_TR is offline  
Old 10-25-16, 02:01 PM
  #11  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 15,582

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9973 Post(s)
Liked 6,368 Times in 3,636 Posts
I was pretty much ripped on in an earlier thread for suggesting that Iowa is a welcoming place for bike tourism, but it really is.

Between the hundreds and hundreds of paved trails, the small towns which are accommodating and frequent(10mi from town to town at most in any direction), and the cooperation of bars/breweries with the cycling population- its welcoming.
Yes, US20 isnt a good road to ride. Neither is the 101 out in CA.

Anyways, there are a ton of bars and breweries along the trails or very close to the trails in Iowa. This is true in the central Des Moines metro as well as eastern IA.
Minnesota would be a solid option as I have been to a few breweries in the MPL area which are close to trails(that place is so full of paved trails that you can throw a feather and hit a trail).
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 10-25-16, 02:16 PM
  #12  
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly
 
jonc123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Show Me State
Posts: 680

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I was pretty much ripped on in an earlier thread for suggesting that Iowa is a welcoming place for bike tourism, but it really is.

Between the hundreds and hundreds of paved trails, the small towns which are accommodating and frequent(10mi from town to town at most in any direction), and the cooperation of bars/breweries with the cycling population- its welcoming.
Yes, US20 isnt a good road to ride. Neither is the 101 out in CA.

Anyways, there are a ton of bars and breweries along the trails or very close to the trails in Iowa. This is true in the central Des Moines metro as well as eastern IA.
Minnesota would be a solid option as I have been to a few breweries in the MPL area which are close to trails(that place is so full of paved trails that you can throw a feather and hit a trail).
Have you met the guy that lives up your way that made his own wood bike frame? I met him at Firetrucker; forgot his name. Said he rode it in RAGBRAI. Made out of Walnut, I think.

Last edited by jonc123; 10-25-16 at 03:03 PM.
jonc123 is offline  
Old 10-25-16, 02:25 PM
  #13  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 15,582

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9973 Post(s)
Liked 6,368 Times in 3,636 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
Have you met the guy that lives up your way that made his own wood bike frame? I met him at Firetrucker; forgot his name. Said he rode it in RAGBRAI. Made out of Walnut, I think.
Funny timing as I saw a review of a walnut frame bike on youtube a few days ago. It was interbike or whatever that huge bicycle trade show in Vegas is called.

Havent met anyone near me with a walnut bike. Thatd be a conversation starter for sure.
I have met a few guys who ride boos bikes as the founder is originally from Iowa and each knew/knows the guy. Boo Bicycles Home - Boo Bicycles


So was the walnut bike absurdly heavy or pretty normal?
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 10-25-16, 02:41 PM
  #14  
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly
 
jonc123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Show Me State
Posts: 680

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Funny timing as I saw a review of a walnut frame bike on youtube a few days ago. It was interbike or whatever that huge bicycle trade show in Vegas is called.

Havent met anyone near me with a walnut bike. Thatd be a conversation starter for sure.
I have met a few guys who ride boos bikes as the founder is originally from Iowa and each knew/knows the guy. Boo Bicycles Home - Boo Bicycles


So was the walnut bike absurdly heavy or pretty normal?
Hollow frame, I think he said it was about 7.5 pounds.
jonc123 is offline  
Old 10-25-16, 03:22 PM
  #15  
rdrummond
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 28

Bikes: Surly Straggler, Cannondale CAAD9, Trek 7200 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all
Thanks for all the info. I may make a road trip to Iowa! (From Philadelphia area)
rdrummond is offline  
Old 10-25-16, 03:29 PM
  #16  
rdrummond
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 28

Bikes: Surly Straggler, Cannondale CAAD9, Trek 7200 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
you dinna say where.....so....how about germany?

southern germany in particular, thousands and thousands,
dare i say tens of thousands of tiny breweries. almost
every small town and village has at least one producing
mainly for local consumption.

who needs well-known brews? the bestest stuff is local.
Thanks...I'm open to hearing about anywhere! Esp Europe...that's on my bucket list.

And "well known" is poor choice of words on my part. For example in the US there are guides to Ale Trails but they're assuming auto travel. Was thinking of same but for bikes. So by well known I meant "destinations worthy of pilgrimage "
rdrummond is offline  
Old 10-25-16, 03:33 PM
  #17  
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly
 
jonc123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Show Me State
Posts: 680

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rdrummond
Anyone know of any touring routes designed to hit well-known breweries/brew pubs, etc. ? Like an "Ale Trail", but for bikes ?
Maps sent.

Last edited by jonc123; 10-25-16 at 05:15 PM.
jonc123 is offline  
Old 10-25-16, 05:13 PM
  #18  
robow
Senior Member
 
robow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 157 Posts
Can't believe no one has yet mentioned Wisconsin, home of cheese, the Packers, and beer ! You could spend several days just up around Madison riding their extensive system of bike trails and hitting several mid sized and micro breweries and all the while getting your cheesehead on.
robow is offline  
Old 10-25-16, 06:15 PM
  #19  
rdrummond
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 28

Bikes: Surly Straggler, Cannondale CAAD9, Trek 7200 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
Maps sent.
thanks jonc..good stuff !
rdrummond is offline  
Old 10-25-16, 06:18 PM
  #20  
rdrummond
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 28

Bikes: Surly Straggler, Cannondale CAAD9, Trek 7200 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
High Trestle Trail Near Des Moines; this is a good thread, someone actually asking about touring some place!:

this is very cool...wonder how long it would take to ride to Des Moines....
rdrummond is offline  
Old 10-25-16, 07:50 PM
  #21  
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly
 
jonc123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Show Me State
Posts: 680

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rdrummond
this is very cool...wonder how long it would take to ride to Des Moines....
Just around the corner! I am curious, when viewing the maps did it retain the symbols such as the fork/knives for chow and the martini glass for breweries or were they replaced with balloons?

One more note...if you want to stay at the Cow Patty Campground at the southern end, it's about 6 or 7 miles down HWY 71, which is 4 lane, 45MPH and has a wide shoulder and low traffic at most times.

The Arkansas trail has a couple detours, they are doing some highway work. The first one is at the Northern end of the trail. Here is a picture below. The trail actually starts about a mile north of the Lowes at a lake. No overnight parking at the lake, I usually park at Lowes. I did ask. The black line that runs along the trail is the closed section, the only way to get through is to get on 71, it has a wide shoulder (45MPH) and is not bad for the short time you'll be on it. Where that black ends near the bottom is a business that is closed on weekends and trail users park there. I wouldn't park overnight. Might get towed. You can pick the trail back up there.



The second detour is not fun. Watch yourself. Be careful. The northern part of the detour starts at a nice rest area, bathrooms, water, etc. Ignore the red trail that leads off to the East, unless you want to go over to Ozark Beer. Detour in black. They have the detour marked OK, could be confusing if you don't pay attention. Here is a pic:


Last edited by jonc123; 10-25-16 at 08:02 PM.
jonc123 is offline  
Old 10-26-16, 11:12 AM
  #22  
badger_biker
Senior Member
 
badger_biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rural Western Wisconsin
Posts: 1,507

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123

Here is what a brewery in Ankeny, IA. looks like on a Saturday:


This looks like Firetrucker brewery. I stopped there by car on my way back from a bike trip in Colorado. I need to explore what IA has for trails.

Minneapolis is loaded with breweries. I managed to make it to 4 and only put 1.7 miles on my bike!
badger_biker is offline  
Old 10-26-16, 01:42 PM
  #23  
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly
 
jonc123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Show Me State
Posts: 680

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_biker
This looks like Firetrucker brewery. I stopped there by car on my way back from a bike trip in Colorado. I need to explore what IA has for trails.

Minneapolis is loaded with breweries. I managed to make it to 4 and only put 1.7 miles on my bike!
Yep! Firetrucker. Did you make it to Surly in MN?

Last edited by jonc123; 10-27-16 at 02:23 PM.
jonc123 is offline  
Old 10-27-16, 07:37 AM
  #24  
KennyT
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
closer to home (Philly)

From one of your posts it looks like you are from the Philly area. If you want something closer to home check out this guys site Bikeable Brews It's for bike trails on in the DC area. He doesn't cover DC itself but there are at least 10 breweries in the District. Check out his Geospatial presentations and filter on Brewery. The W&OD has the majority of the breweries and is 40+ miles long. You can use the other trails to form a more varied trip. DC down the Mt Vernon to the W&OD. On the way back take the Custis trail back to the city. I have done this in many ways but I usually end up going out on the W&OD to Leesburg then crossing the river to the C&O Canal to camp. There are of course plenty of B&Bs and hotels if you prefer that route. It's all paved trails unless you end up going to the C&O. that is a little bit of road riding then dirt trail. gmap-pedometer.com You could also ride the canal back to the city if you have had enough beer and just want to take your time and camp.
KennyT is offline  
Old 10-27-16, 10:00 AM
  #25  
badger_biker
Senior Member
 
badger_biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rural Western Wisconsin
Posts: 1,507

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
Yep! Firetrucker. Did you make it to Surly in MN?
Yes I've been to Surly a few times. They have an annual Rails and Ales event with the light rail train that gets you to close to a dozen breweries.

I'll send you a PM with my email for your maps - thanks for offering that!
badger_biker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.