Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

collections in RWGPS

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

collections in RWGPS

Old 04-08-21, 06:32 AM
  #1  
IPassGas
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 204

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
collections in RWGPS

I am planning a loop in Iowa for summer. The new collection thing in RWGPS is good. You map out each day and then easily add stuff to a collection. Previously, this could be done with events, but it was awkward.

Here is the Iowa loop starting in Dubuque, still working on details.
https://ridewithgps.com/collections/...JvYsc3UeAdc5MA
IPassGas is offline  
Old 04-08-21, 08:51 AM
  #2  
balto charlie
Senior Member
 
balto charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore/DC
Posts: 2,785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
This is pretty cool. Thanks for posting. I tried to put a bunch of gpx files from gravelmaps.com together for a bikepacking trip and RWGPS would not let unless I had the premium membership. I have the $50 version. Using your info I just put them all together in an instant. Awesome!!
balto charlie is offline  
Old 04-08-21, 01:28 PM
  #3  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 12,417

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5155 Post(s)
Liked 2,451 Times in 1,432 Posts
Your orange day in the Des Moines Metro really hits a bunch of the paved trails! Looking at it, you have a 120mi day starting in Panora and riding over the Trestle Bridge between Slater and Woodward, then heading back east to finish in Colo.
If you stick with that route, be aware that you routed thru some singletrack in the northern part of Des Moines. Its flat river bottom singletrack and the part that you selected isnt overly technical, but just be aware. Its circled in red.



An alternate option that would still be 100mi would be to ride from Perry to Waukee on the Raccoon River Valley Trail then stay on the RRVT and go north to Perry. At that point, its a handful of gravel road miles to connect to Woodward and the High Trestle Trail.
The RRVT is dead flat as its an old rail line trail. And the High Trestle is flat too. Once east of Slater you will be on an unpaved trail all the way to Maxwell.
Just mentioning this since it isnt always clear which trails are paved and which are hardpack rock.




Oh, and I wouldnt trust the elevation claim on RWGPS. Its notoriously short for reporting in most every place Ive ridden in Iowa. It wont be hilly by any means, but itll probably be over the 30'/mi RWGPS shows right now, even with all the rail trails factored in.
mstateglfr is online now  
Old 04-08-21, 03:26 PM
  #4  
IPassGas
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 204

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Your orange day in the Des Moines Metro really hits a bunch of the paved trails! Looking at it, you have a 120mi day starting in Panora and riding over the Trestle Bridge between Slater and Woodward, then heading back east to finish in Colo.
If you stick with that route, be aware that you routed thru some singletrack in the northern part of Des Moines. Its flat river bottom singletrack and the part that you selected isnt overly technical, but just be aware. Its circled in red.
Thanks for the information. The orange was an overlay of 2 or 3 overlapping days, we are staying overnight at a campground near the high trestle (swede or donkey whistles) and then heading for Cherry Glen CG for a night (a friend recommended it). After that Panora, and thanks, we will avoid the single track on some nearby road. Is the campground in Panora ok, Lenon Mills?
IPassGas is offline  
Old 04-09-21, 07:58 AM
  #5  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 12,417

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5155 Post(s)
Liked 2,451 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas View Post
Thanks for the information. The orange was an overlay of 2 or 3 overlapping days, we are staying overnight at a campground near the high trestle (swede or donkey whistles) and then heading for Cherry Glen CG for a night (a friend recommended it). After that Panora, and thanks, we will avoid the single track on some nearby road. Is the campground in Panora ok, Lenon Mills?
Gotcha, I figured the colors showed each day's riding.
Ive been to Leon Mill Park once to kayak- and just remember it as a good county park...pretty similar to most county parks around here. It has showers, which is an obvious benefit.
Cherry Glen is a busy campsite on a really fun segment of paved trail. The northern 10 or so miles of trail that is squiggly before and after Cherry Glen is a fun section of small rollers under a canopy of trees. Just a neat segment of trail riding since trails are so commonly dead flat and straight.

And I just realized you are riding clockwise. I dont know why I assumed the route was counter-clock!
mstateglfr is online now  
Old 04-09-21, 10:23 AM
  #6  
IPassGas
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 204

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Gotcha, I figured the colors showed each day's riding.
Ive been to Leon Mill Park once to kayak- and just remember it as a good county park...pretty similar to most county parks around here. It has showers, which is an obvious benefit.
Cherry Glen is a busy campsite on a really fun segment of paved trail. The northern 10 or so miles of trail that is squiggly before and after Cherry Glen is a fun section of small rollers under a canopy of trees. Just a neat segment of trail riding since trails are so commonly dead flat and straight.

And I just realized you are riding clockwise. I dont know why I assumed the route was counter-clock!
Thanks, yes right... clockwise (CW). Funny, I default to CW when planning an unknown route. That could be another thread I wonder if Australians tend to favor CCW. Will probably start this mid-June assuming covid is in check.
IPassGas is offline  
Old 04-09-21, 10:44 AM
  #7  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 12,417

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5155 Post(s)
Liked 2,451 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas View Post
Thanks, yes right... clockwise (CW). Funny, I default to CW when planning an unknown route. That could be another thread I wonder if Australians tend to favor CCW. Will probably start this mid-June assuming covid is in check.
I wont argue with it, but why did you choose Iowa?
mstateglfr is online now  
Old 04-09-21, 05:44 PM
  #8  
IPassGas
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 204

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I wont argue with it, but why did you choose Iowa?
Iowa is a place I have not toured. Many paved back roads with lower traffic and some longer trails that can be linked. A sufficient number of campgrounds. Small towns to pass through. I'm not a fan of the crowds, so will be touring during a non-ragbrai time.
IPassGas is offline  
Old 04-09-21, 06:53 PM
  #9  
boomhauer
Senior Member
 
boomhauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I wont argue with it, but why did you choose Iowa?
You can actually still find small town restaurants in Iowa.
They seem to be a dying enterprise in the mid-west.
I rode for 70 miles in northern Missouri without finding on open restaurant.
Other places are suffering the same fate.
boomhauer is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.