Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pillow fight!

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pillow fight!

Old 03-27-24, 10:25 AM
  #1  
imi
aka Timi
Thread Starter
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 3,260

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 104 Posts
Pillow fight!

Inspired by comments in a different thread:

So, do you have a pillow with you? Inflatable? Synthetic or Down? Ultralight? … or do you just roll your smelly socks up under your head and snore away?
imi is offline  
Old 03-27-24, 11:09 AM
  #2  
mev
bicycle tourist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
Posts: 2,306

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 179 Posts
No pillow.
Instead I put a few clothes into the stuff sack from my sleeping bag. I may also drape over a fleece over the outside of the stuff sack.
mev is offline  
Likes For mev:
Old 03-27-24, 12:02 PM
  #3  
Full Member
 
HelpSingularity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: San Diego, California USA
Posts: 357

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
No pillow.
Instead I put a few clothes into the stuff sack from my sleeping bag. I may also drape over a fleece over the outside of the stuff sack.
I do as mev does but then put the stuff sack in a flannel pillow case.
Not perfect, but good enuff!
HelpSingularity is offline  
Old 03-27-24, 12:51 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
robow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,884
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 200 Posts
I have two that I use. The first is a Sea to Summit inflatable that is very small and lightweight and takes up very little space in a pannier .....but..... it is not nearly as comfortable for me as my other pillow, a Thermarest that is comprised of foam. The Thermarest though not really heavy, unfortunately takes up a lot of space within a pannier even when rolled up and compressed, which is Ok if I'm running both front and rear panniers but all too often I make use of only 2 panniers and therefore I need to be more efficient.
robow is offline  
Likes For robow:
Old 03-27-24, 01:10 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,136
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 759 Posts
I have a Thermarest, the one filled with foam that you roll up and compress to pack. I used it for years. I liked it, but it was never really perfect for me, it is a little small. I still use it on occasion though. I replaced it with an off brand inflatable, then went with the extra large Klymit Pillow X travel pillow. Unlike the other Klymit pillows, the extra large is made of a different fabric that is soft and stretches a little. It feels nice on the skin, and the little give of the fabric makes it comfortable. The X shape was a game changer for me over other inflatable pillows. Your head doesn't roll of like they can on other inflatables. I use this pillow almost weekly for travel, in addition to camping and bicycle touring.

https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Pillow...gw_rp_4_i&th=1

phughes is offline  
Old 03-27-24, 01:10 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Small cog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Location: Wessex UK
Posts: 113

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 61 Posts
Another vote for the Sea To Summit inflatable pillow, takes up little space and far more comfortable than folded up clothes that I have been using for years.
Small cog is online now  
Old 03-28-24, 05:29 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Near Pottstown, PA: 30 miles NW of Philadelphia
Posts: 2,193

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 410 Posts
I have an inflatable bean shaped pillow from way back, probably from REI. I underinflate it and it’s quite comfortable. I put into a DIY fleece pillow case which works for me. Deflated pillow, cover, fleece cap, socks, ear plugs and whistle all slide into a nylon stuff sack (half the size of a box of cereal) and pack with the rest of my nylon motel. Standard kit.
Prowler is offline  
Old 03-28-24, 11:19 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39,450
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18502 Post(s)
Liked 15,815 Times in 7,426 Posts
Originally Posted by Small cog
Another vote for the Sea To Summit inflatable pillow, takes up little space and far more comfortable than folded up clothes that I have been using for years.
Dang it! I just blew nearly $200 of my REI money on other stuff. Only a few dollars left on account. I could have saved 20% on one. Which model do you have? I love my S2S mattress and collapsible bowl and cup.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-28-24, 02:02 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1,138
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 300 Posts
Sea to Summit pillow, yes, underinflated is more comfy.
Pratt is offline  
Old 03-29-24, 12:15 AM
  #10  
Full Member
 
HelpSingularity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: San Diego, California USA
Posts: 357

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
I have an inflatable bean shaped pillow from way back, probably from REI. I underinflate it and it’s quite comfortable. I put into a DIY fleece pillow case which works for me. Deflated pillow, cover, fleece cap, socks, ear plugs and whistle all slide into a nylon stuff sack (half the size of a box of cereal) and pack with the rest of my nylon motel. Standard kit.
Great idea! It never dawned on me to have my camping sleeping kit (as noted above) in one central place (stuff sack). I usually dig stuff out as the need arises, which can be a pain in the dark. Thanks for the tip Prowler .
HelpSingularity is offline  
Old 03-29-24, 06:12 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 11,286

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3500 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 1,160 Posts
I had a very small inflatable pillow that fit perfectly in my sleeping bag hood, much smaller than the average pillow. But it stopped functioning. Could not find another inflatable that was that small a size.

Now I have a small stuff sack that is the perfect size to fit in the sleeping bag hood, stuff some clothing into that stuff sack to make a pillow.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 03-29-24, 10:00 AM
  #12  
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 27,428

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6252 Post(s)
Liked 4,278 Times in 2,396 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Dang it! I just blew nearly $200 of my REI money on other stuff. Only a few dollars left on account. I could have saved 20% on one. Which model do you have? I love my S2S mattress and collapsible bowl and cup.
I have the Aero Premium Pillow in the “large” size. It is really tiny when packed, weighs nothing, and is easily adjustable.
__________________
Stuart Black
Plan Epsilon Around Lake Michigan in the era of Covid
Old School…When It Wasn’t Ancient bikepacking
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!



cyccommute is offline  
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-29-24, 11:05 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39,450
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18502 Post(s)
Liked 15,815 Times in 7,426 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I have the Aero Premium Pillow in the “large” size. It is really tiny when packed, weighs nothing, and is easily adjustable.
Thanks. I now know what I’m buying next. The magenta would go great with my lime green S2S mattress.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 04-06-24, 04:44 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 157

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 53 Posts
I backpack with an inflatable pillow. I consider it a luxury, but it makes enough difference to be worth packing. I'm just not comfortable with wadded up clothing. The one I use is a Thermarest one that has a thin layer of foam and a outer fabric that is sort of like faux suede. It's very comfortable, but the downside of the faux suede is that it seems too hot during the warm months. Being inflatable, I can easily adjust it to just the firmness that I like.

Originally Posted by phughes
... then went with the extra large Klymit Pillow X travel pillow. Unlike the other Klymit pillows, the extra large is made of a different fabric that is soft and stretches a little. It feels nice on the skin, and the little give of the fabric makes it comfortable. The X shape was a game changer for me over other inflatable pillows. Your head doesn't roll of like they can on other inflatables.
I'm going to give this a try!
UnCruel is offline  
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 04-07-24, 12:00 AM
  #15  
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 13,759

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4444 Post(s)
Liked 4,098 Times in 2,735 Posts
Sea to Summit Aeros Pillow. If you want to continue rolling up a jacket or filling stuff sack with random detritus from clothing to whatever go for it but I value a good nights sleep. The Aeros pillow takes up very little space and weight and adds a lot of comfort. The only time I might not take it is if I was doing adventure racing and wasn't going to be sleeping much anyway and space was a super duper premium beyond premium but I don't do that or have an interest aside from watching and reading about it so no need to worry.

There should be a little "discomfort" while touring and camping and such like that but very minimal and not to make anyone say this isn't good or I don't wanna do this or I am more of a "insert noun here" because I am "rugged" or whatever. It shouldn't just be a replica of home but it also shouldn't need to be well I don't want to take that because it adds an ounce of weight and takes up a small amount of space. Take it enjoy it and be comfortable and keep your neck in good shape (saying this as I write sitting with my neck in a bad position)
veganbikes is offline  
Old 04-09-24, 03:13 PM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
sbrudno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 114

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I have a Thermarest, the one filled with foam that you roll up and compress to pack. I used it for years. I liked it, but it was never really perfect for me, it is a little small. I still use it on occasion though. I replaced it with an off brand inflatable, then went with the extra large Klymit Pillow X travel pillow. Unlike the other Klymit pillows, the extra large is made of a different fabric that is soft and stretches a little. It feels nice on the skin, and the little give of the fabric makes it comfortable. The X shape was a game changer for me over other inflatable pillows. Your head doesn't roll of like they can on other inflatables. I use this pillow almost weekly for travel, in addition to camping and bicycle touring.

https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Pillow...gw_rp_4_i&th=1

I am a side sleeper and need something with more height than the routine:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M7TBGJB...ing=UTF8&psc=1
sbrudno is offline  
Old 04-09-24, 03:18 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,136
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by sbrudno
I am a side sleeper and need something with more height than the routine:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M7TBGJB...ing=UTF8&psc=1
I'm a side sleeper too. The Klymit works great for me. The X allows your head to sink in nicely with support around it, whether I sleep on my back or my side. I am rarely on my back, and if I am, it is probably because I'm reading.
phughes is offline  
Old 04-18-24, 07:10 PM
  #18  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 238

Bikes: 1975 Coppi Campionissimo, 1980 Raleigh Grand Sport, 1983 Trek 520, 1983 Ciocc, 1995 Trek 520

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Very little touring experience but I have to chime in for the humor of it all. On my longest tour I used the bladder from a box of wine. That's what my late brother-in-law used, and it worked great. I quit drinking Dec 2--now what am I going to use!?
Galoot is offline  
Old 04-18-24, 07:39 PM
  #19  
Junior Member
 
sbrudno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 114

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 30 Posts
There is just something so simple that it just makes sense!
sbrudno is offline  
Old 04-20-24, 05:51 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,136
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by Galoot
Very little touring experience but I have to chime in for the humor of it all. On my longest tour I used the bladder from a box of wine. That's what my late brother-in-law used, and it worked great. I quit drinking Dec 2--now what am I going to use!?
Creative, but I won't use anything that has been used for food inside my tent or hammock. I prefer to not get eaten by bears.
phughes is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.