Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Has anyone tried the gel cell saddles?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Has anyone tried the gel cell saddles?

Old 12-19-05, 12:31 PM
  #1  
Every day a winding road
Thread Starter
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,538

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Has anyone tried the gel cell saddles?

I just got back on a road bike after a 20 year hiatus. I have really only been riding for about 8 months now and I am planning my first tour in September. I don't have any real long rides under my wheels but I can do 40+ miles with no problem whatsoever except a sore butt.

I was thinking of trying one of those gel cell saddles. Has anyone used them? How do you like them?
spinnaker is offline  
Old 12-19-05, 01:06 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Leandro
Posts: 2,900

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I tried them and they are nice for about 15-20 miles and then they start hurting.

Saddles like the Regal hurt a little at first but only on your sit bones and then after you grow used to them they don't hurt especially. I've put a new Brookes on my touring bike and all I can tell you right now is that new out of the box with a treatment of proofhide like they recommend you slide all around on the saddle unless you're climbing. I haven't broken mine in enough yet to varify if they really are any better than a Regal but I can tell you that they aren't any worse right out of the box so I expect it will grow better with time.
cyclintom is offline  
Old 12-19-05, 01:12 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 275

Bikes: 1984 Raleigh Kodiak Touring, 1992 Scott MTB, 2004 Fuji Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
I just got back on a road bike after a 20 year hiatus. I have really only been riding for about 8 months now and I am planning my first tour in September. I don't have any real long rides under my wheels but I can do 40+ miles with no problem whatsoever except a sore butt.

I was thinking of trying one of those gel cell saddles. Has anyone used them? How do you like them?
90% of the posters here are going to tell you to get a Brooks (I have 2 B17's myself ) but...

I really like the gel seats if they aren't too squishy. I have an old Avocet and a newer Nashbar Nashbar 2x Plus. I usually use them on my commuter when I'm riding without padded shorts. For the first 20 miles or so, they're like sitting on a cloud. But for all day touring comfort, padded shorts and a Brooks are the way to go, in my opinion. Whatever you do, don't buy the get seat covers. They tend to move around and chafe on the sides.
rnagaoka is offline  
Old 12-19-05, 01:19 PM
  #4  
Every day a winding road
Thread Starter
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,538

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by rnagaoka
90% of the posters here are going to tell you to get a Brooks (I have 2 B17's myself ) but...

I really like the gel seats if they aren't too squishy. I have an old Avocet and a newer Nashbar Nashbar 2x Plus. I usually use them on my commuter when I'm riding without padded shorts. For the first 20 miles or so, they're like sitting on a cloud. But for all day touring comfort, padded shorts and a Brooks are the way to go, in my opinion. Whatever you do, don't buy the get seat covers. They tend to move around and chafe on the sides.
Yes I never even considered the covers. I figured they were not worth a darn.

I bought the Nashbar padded shorts but after a few months, all the padding is gone. Maybe I go a bum (pardon the pun ) pair of shorts?
spinnaker is offline  
Old 12-19-05, 03:01 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 275

Bikes: 1984 Raleigh Kodiak Touring, 1992 Scott MTB, 2004 Fuji Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
I bought the Nashbar padded shorts but after a few months, all the padding is gone. Maybe I go a bum (pardon the pun ) pair of shorts?
Instead of gel seats, you might want to consider gel or liquicell padding for your shorts--won't compress or degrade as much as the cheaper chamois will. Some people swear by them.

Drawbacks are some of the thicker gels will make you feel like you're wearing a diaper (with a dump in it) and I heard of some of the liquicells leaking. Also, this type of padding usually doesn't absorb and evaporate your butt sweat as well as the traditional chamois will.
rnagaoka is offline  
Old 12-19-05, 03:09 PM
  #6  
Every day a winding road
Thread Starter
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,538

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by rnagaoka
Instead of gel seats, you might want to consider gel or liquicell padding for your shorts--won't compress or degrade as much as the cheaper chamois will. Some people swear by them.

Drawbacks are some of the thicker gels will make you feel like you're wearing a diaper (with a dump in it) and I heard of some of the liquicells leaking. Also, this type of padding usually doesn't absorb and evaporate your butt sweat as well as the traditional chamois will.
I should have mentioned that they were gel padded shorts. And yes they did leak on me.
spinnaker is offline  
Old 12-20-05, 12:15 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
metal_cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orting Wa.
Posts: 527

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Co Motion Big A,l Klein Adroit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gel is for hairdoos. Leather is for saddles. Buy a Brooks. You can thank me later.
metal_cowboy is offline  
Old 12-20-05, 10:43 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Velo plush seat. It is the best money I have ever spent. I highly recommend it. It is very comfortable.
Crazy Cyclist is offline  
Old 12-20-05, 11:48 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
edp773's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Illinios
Posts: 1,143

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a mention of the Specialized Avatar Gel saddle in the genral forum. Try this link.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/160034-ultimate-durable-affordable-bike-your-picks.html
edp773 is offline  
Old 12-20-05, 11:54 AM
  #10  
Mmmm, Blue Salsa....
 
BubbaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See if you can find a LBS that offers a 'Seat Satisfaction Guarantee'. One that I frequent allows you to buy a seat, try it for a few hundred miles, and return it for credit towards another if you don't like the way it feels. Seats and their fit to your posterior are a personal thing, what the LBS salesguy (or our BF buddies) say is the best seat in the world may mean it's the best seat in the world for them (but maybe not you). If you're laying down $50 - $150+ for a seat, you want to make sure it's a good fit. I have never had a Brooks, but hear some folks swear by them. Others probably swear at them. I have leaned towards gel-filled over the years, and had one of the first OEM Spencos many years ago. Center cutouts for perenium relief weren't in vogue back then, that was my only real complaint with it over the years. I recently picked up a gel Bontrager CRZ+ for my ride, and have been pretty happy with it after logging a few hundreds miles. Not real expensive, and fits my needs and budget for now. We'll see how it feels on some 50+ milers pretty soon as I start to get my butt in shape for the MS150....

B'Dog
__________________
2006 Gary Fisher Marlin MTB
2004 Salsa LaRaza aka "Mmmm, Blue Salsa" (853 steel is real, baby!)
2003 Kona Humu Humu Nuka Nuka Apua'A Singlespeed - Gone, but not forgotten
1998 Diamondback Outlook MTB
1990 Centurion Cavaletto 'Gaspipe Beater' Roadie
1978 Volkscycle 'Frankenbike' CroMo Tourer
BubbaDog is offline  
Old 12-21-05, 06:24 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Rogerinchrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Plymouth,WI
Posts: 724

Bikes: TREK-520 & 830

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've a Koobi Enduro Gel. The gel is about the size of the old silver dollar & right under the sit bones. They are not too common a saddle but mine's been under me since '03. If I've got the $ when this one wears out I'll get a Brooks, otherwise I'll get another Koobi. Koobi.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Enduro_large.jpg (33.0 KB, 9 views)
Rogerinchrist is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.