Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Panaracer RibMo

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Panaracer RibMo

Old 03-11-09, 07:20 PM
  #1  
desertdork
just pokin' along
Thread Starter
 
desertdork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: the desert
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Panaracer RibMo

I was just looking at these online. Apparently, they're a new product...or I'm becoming less observant.

Has anyone here seen these in person or ridden them? Curious about the ride and quality. I see they're available in a large range of 26" and 700 sizes.
desertdork is offline  
Old 03-12-09, 12:50 AM
  #2  
DukeArcher 
Senior Member
 
DukeArcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 603

Bikes: Thorn Nomad S+S, Trek 520 - 2007 (out on loan), and a crap Repco MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, crazy old Panaracer:

Originally Posted by Panaracer
By the numbers according to Panaracer, the RiBMo is 2.5x more resistant to pinch flats and 140x more resistant to punctures as compared to an unbelted regular tire.
140x?
__________________
Sparsely updated blog
DukeArcher is offline  
Old 03-12-09, 10:28 AM
  #3  
rodar y rodar
weirdo
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, they`re fairly new. I haven`t tried them, but I was considering them for my last tire purchase (went with Pasela TGs again) and I did find a few reviews through Google- mostly positive. There were a few mentions on the bf commuter forum as well. Decent price, too. Give `em a shot and report back, please!
rodar y rodar is offline  
Old 03-12-09, 10:48 AM
  #4  
late
Senior Member
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,692
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10479 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 470 Posts
Looks like it would ride like a truck. The panaracer pasela TG folding tire is a pretty decent tire that doesn't have a harsh ride and isn't slow.
late is online now  
Old 03-12-09, 11:03 AM
  #5  
Accident
Look ma...no brakes!
 
Accident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tallahassee
Posts: 399

Bikes: Locally built track bike, Kona mtb, Giant Road Bike, Soon to be Surly LHT Tourer!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using some 26x1.25 ribmo's for about a thousand miles now; great tires. No punctures yet and I take them into some pretty harsh stuff. They ride fast and were a "noticeable" weight difference from some schwalbe marathon plus' that I had on before. If the price is good, get 'em!
Accident is offline  
Old 03-12-09, 02:16 PM
  #6  
EGUNWT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 195

Bikes: Surly. 4 of them.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have them on my commuter. Very nice tires, nearly slick road profile, no punctures or rips or tears, and I ride through some interesting stuff.
EGUNWT is offline  
Old 08-10-09, 05:25 PM
  #7  
JBHoren
Living 'n Dying in -Time
 
JBHoren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Greenacres, FL
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I've been riding on Conti GP 4 Seasons, in 700x28C, for the past few months; but at 275# I'm a Clyde, and even at 120psi these have produced some pinches at inopportune times/places. So, my question is this:

Anyone fitted-and-ridden the Panaracer RiBMo in 700x32C on a 1985 Trek 600?
JBHoren is offline  
Old 08-10-09, 05:37 PM
  #8  
staehpj1 
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 10,201
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by late View Post
Looks like it would ride like a truck.
I am curious what you are basing that impression on. Care to elaborate?
__________________
Check out my profile, articles, and trip journals at:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/staehpj1
staehpj1 is offline  
Old 08-10-09, 07:51 PM
  #9  
yeamac
Senior Member
 
yeamac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central IL
Posts: 1,079

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Aurora Elite Touring, 2012 Marin Verona Endurance Road, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
I've been using some 26x1.25 ribmo's for about a thousand miles now; great tires. No punctures yet and I take them into some pretty harsh stuff. They ride fast and were a "noticeable" weight difference from some schwalbe marathon plus' that I had on before. If the price is good, get 'em!
I also have 26 x 1.25 RibMo's on my Cannondale Mountain Tandem and like them for the low weight, fast rolling, and high puncture protection. Fantastic tire. Fair price. Only have 400 miles on them so far, but imagine they will last a long time.
yeamac is offline  
Old 08-10-09, 08:02 PM
  #10  
Enthusiast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I just finished a 1300 miles tour with a 28mm Pracer Tserve front and 32mm Pracer Ribmos on the rear and trailer. I loved the Tserve and the Ribmos. No flats-though I did pull a staple out of my rear Ribmo after I heard it rubbing the fender as it rolled along.

The defining characteristic of the Ribmos is the triangularish cross section to the tread which gives the tires a good 1/4" (6mm) of rubber along the center. This thickness, more than any of the fancy kevlar/aramid layers, give the tires good flat protection (maybe 100x? ). I've heard of Ribmos lasting 8000 miles a set. With 1500 miles on my rear tire and little wear showing, 8000 seems reasonable.

The Ribmos did not ride like a truck for me. The tire is heavy but most of that weight is in the center rubber, the sidewalls were reasonably supple for a 32mm tire that can run 100psi. (I'm excited when after 5000 miles the tires are nice and light!)

These tires are slicks so I noticed a speed boost from the more treaded 28mm Tserv and 28mm Conti Contacts I've used previously. They had good grip in the rain. They even worked OK off-road the one day I did 30 miles of backwoods riding. When I say off road I mean logging trails with sand, gravel, and rock gardens. Gravel roads and rail trails are cake for these tires.

I bought these tires because I wanted a slick, flat resistant, long wearing, and nice handing tire for little money. (23 per through J&B) They've definitely delivered. (No I don't work for Panaracer)
Enthusiast is offline  
Old 08-10-09, 08:17 PM
  #11  
Enthusiast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JBHoren View Post
I've been riding on Conti GP 4 Seasons, in 700x28C, for the past few months; but at 275# I'm a Clyde, and even at 120psi these have produced some pinches at inopportune times/places. So, my question is this:

Anyone fitted-and-ridden the Panaracer RiBMo in 700x32C on a 1985 Trek 600?
I fit and rode the Ribmo in 700x32 on a 1985 Trek 760. Is that close enough? The frame had very tight criterium geometry so I could only fit the 32mm Ribmo on the rear. The Ribmo front tire rubbed on the crown a bit so I used a 28mm Tserv. After my rear tire has worn down a couple mm's I'm planning on swaping it to the front.

Myself and my trailer's contribution weighed about #225 and I ran the rear Ribmo at 100psi during my tour. The tire felt fast and stable with this loading. Not too loaded down at all. My 28mm Conti Contacts were really only 25mm so if the same holds true for your GP 4s, IMHO you could see more pinch flat resistance with the Ribmos.
Enthusiast is offline  
Old 08-10-09, 08:22 PM
  #12  
Enthusiast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by late View Post
Looks like it would ride like a truck. The panaracer pasela TG folding tire is a pretty decent tire that doesn't have a harsh ride and isn't slow.
I looked at the pasela TG but decided that the Ribmo would be faster and last longer due to it's slick tread. (I'm with Jobst Brandt on this one.) Both tires have folding beads and similar prices. Having never tried the pasela TG I don't know how their rides compare. I do know that the pasela TG has a thinner sidewall (too thin my researches lead me to believe). The Ribmo has the same sidewalls and casing as the Tserv.

Sorry for taking over the thread...
Enthusiast is offline  
Old 08-11-09, 09:49 AM
  #13  
LeeG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
The defining characteristic of the Ribmos is the triangularish cross section to the tread which gives the tires a good 1/4" (6mm) of rubber along the center. This thickness, more than any of the fancy kevlar/aramid layers, give the tires good flat protection (maybe 100x? ). I've heard of Ribmos lasting 8000 miles a set. With 1500 miles on my rear tire and little wear showing, 8000 seems reasonable.

The Ribmos did not ride like a truck for me. The tire is heavy but most of that weight is in the center rubber, the sidewalls were reasonably supple for a 32mm tire that can run 100psi. (I'm excited when after 5000 miles the tires are nice and light!)
sound like a better version of the Schwinn Le Tour tire from 30yrs ago.
LeeG is offline  
Old 08-11-09, 09:57 AM
  #14  
late
Senior Member
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,692
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10479 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 470 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
I looked at the pasela TG but decided that the Ribmo would be faster and last longer due to it's slick tread. (I'm with Jobst Brandt on this one.) Both tires have folding beads and similar prices. Having never tried the pasela TG I don't know how their rides compare. I do know that the pasela TG has a thinner sidewall (too thin my researches lead me to believe). The Ribmo has the same sidewalls and casing as the Tserv.

Sorry for taking over the thread...
My LBS has become very enthusiastic about them, and now stocks them instead of the Pasela. I may try them at some point.
late is online now  
Old 08-14-09, 08:50 AM
  #15  
JBHoren
Living 'n Dying in -Time
 
JBHoren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Greenacres, FL
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JBHoren View Post
I've been riding on Conti GP 4 Seasons, in 700x28C, for the past few months; but at 275# I'm a Clyde, and even at 120psi these have produced some pinches at inopportune times/places. So, my question is this:

Anyone fitted-and-ridden the Panaracer RiBMo in 700x32C on a 1985 Trek 600?
Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
I fit and rode the Ribmo in 700x32 on a 1985 Trek 760. Is that close enough? The frame had very tight criterium geometry so I could only fit the 32mm Ribmo on the rear. The Ribmo front tire rubbed on the crown a bit so I used a 28mm Tserv. After my rear tire has worn down a couple mm's I'm planning on swaping it to the front.
Close, but no cigar.

My order of two Ribmo 700x32C tires arrived this morning, from Ben's Cycle, and I immediately installed one in place of the Conti GP 4 Seasons on the rear wheel. Seems the extra crowning material ate-up all the clearance, and there was no rotatio to be had. So, uninstall the new, and reinstall the old. I should've paid more attention back in high school, during geometry class. Sigh.

That was a quick $80 (S/H included).

Mr. Spin Sez: Guess you'll have to find a new bike!
JBHoren is offline  
Old 08-14-09, 09:41 PM
  #16  
Enthusiast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JBHoren View Post
Close, but no cigar.

My order of two Ribmo 700x32C tires arrived this morning, from Ben's Cycle, and I immediately installed one in place of the Conti GP 4 Seasons on the rear wheel. Seems the extra crowning material ate-up all the clearance, and there was no rotatio to be had. So, uninstall the new, and reinstall the old. I should've paid more attention back in high school, during geometry class. Sigh.

That was a quick $80 (S/H included).

Mr. Spin Sez: Guess you'll have to find a new bike!
Bummer. Perhaps I should have mentioned the measures I had to take to get the tire to fit. I keep the tire well forward in the dropout as it rubs when further back. I also had to retension my wheel as it was slightly out of round. This let the tire clear the frame, but the arch of my rear brake caliper still rubbed so I filed one of the mounting washers into a wedge so the brake left the frame at an angle. With this, I had a whopping 1mm of clearance! Good enough for good times, though I did have to make a custom fender.
Enthusiast is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.