Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

helmets?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

helmets?

Old 08-03-09, 09:45 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
helmets?

Hey everyone!

I was wondering what you guys use to protect your noggin's on tour. On my trip across New York last spring, I rode with a Bern helmet which was hot as hell. I'm looking at purchasing a new one for the fall, and am looking for the lightest, coolest temperature wise, and least expensive one on the market.

If I find one that has high reviews from a lot of people, I will forgo the expense and splurge if it's worth it.

Thanks!!

Charlie
buffaloborn85 is offline  
Old 08-03-09, 09:58 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bay Area, Calif.
Posts: 7,239
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...1_10000__11501

Cheap, very light, washable, can add some water for extra cooling on hot days.
prathmann is offline  
Old 08-03-09, 10:37 AM
  #3  
ah.... sure.
 
kayakdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Whidbey Island WA
Posts: 4,107

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post


On a more serious note..... The more you spend the lighter they get... the more vents as well... Sucks but true.
kayakdiver is offline  
Old 08-03-09, 10:44 AM
  #4  
on by
 
skijor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 957

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Do NOT buy anything that you can't try on first. My last skid lid was a $$$ Giro Atmos...doesn't fit as well as my either of my old helmets. If a $30 helmet is what fits you best and has several vents, get it.

And a helmet with a visor can help keep some of the rain off your glasses...just so it's also vented, otherwise it could promote fogging of glasses.
g/l
skijor is offline  
Old 08-03-09, 11:15 AM
  #5  
nun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,670

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...1_10000__11501

Cheap, very light, washable, can add some water for extra cooling on hot days.
I agree, I went over to a cap rather than a helmet a few years ago and find I enjoy my riding more. The only time I get a bit worried is on downhills.

https://www.rapha.cc/rapha-cap
nun is offline  
Old 08-03-09, 11:44 AM
  #6  
on by
 
skijor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 957

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
I agree, I went over to a cap rather than a helmet a few years ago and find I enjoy my riding more. The only time I get a bit worried is on downhills.
https://www.rapha.cc/rapha-cap
Per the OP, "I was wondering what you guys use to protect your noggin's on tour. "

How does a cap protect one's noggin? This is a thread about helmets is it not?
skijor is offline  
Old 08-03-09, 11:46 AM
  #7  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't mostly wear one, but often have to carry one for certain jurisdictions, in which case I carry an original Bell, from back in the day when they made a helmet that was designed to do something other than suck in cash. If I was replacing it, I would probably get a climbing helmet, they are light and strong, or maybe a carbon novelty motorcycle helmet. When descending at speed I want a real helmet if I was worrying about it.
NoReg is offline  
Old 08-03-09, 11:49 AM
  #8  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
"How does a cap protect one's noggin? This is a thread about helmets is it not? "

By keeping one aware that the average helmet is not much better than the cap? A lot of the time on tour I am going slower than joggers. Average speed of 10mph, with average speed on the dial of about 14 mph. I have been passed by people running for the bus.

Or maybe he was thinking UV...
NoReg is offline  
Old 08-03-09, 11:52 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was talking about helmets.
buffaloborn85 is offline  
Old 08-03-09, 12:17 PM
  #10  
ah.... sure.
 
kayakdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Whidbey Island WA
Posts: 4,107

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kind of like those that don't... to each his own. I wear a helmet on every ride. Doesn't matter if it's to the end of the neighborhood or across the country. I've crashed to many times be it on a bicycle or motorcycle and that plastic lid was what separated my head from the ground.

If a car hits me... I'll take any little bit of extra protection I can get.

Do as you will but please don't tell me it's not better than nothing.
kayakdiver is offline  
Old 08-03-09, 12:23 PM
  #11  
on by
 
skijor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 957

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by buffaloborn85
i was talking about helmets.
Go to your LBS and try on several without paying attention to the price, color, or how cool/uncool they look on you. Focus on fit, just as you would/should with your bike fit.
Good luck!
skijor is offline  
Old 08-03-09, 12:41 PM
  #12  
Velocipedic Practitioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 488

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Bianchi Volpe, Trek 5000, Santana Arriva tandem, Pashley Sovereign, among others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Bell Citi. Sure, it's intended purpose is for urban riding and commuting, but it's comfortable and I like its rounded, understated style. Plus, it has a strap on the back where I can clip a blinkie light. It also comes in some colors that help make you more visible.

https://www.bellbikehelmets.com/produ....asp?prodID=14
PurpleK is offline  
Old 08-03-09, 01:08 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,435

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
I don't mostly wear one, but often have to carry one for certain jurisdictions, in which case I carry an original Bell, from back in the day when they made a helmet that was designed to do something other than suck in cash. If I was replacing it, I would probably get a climbing helmet, they are light and strong, or maybe a carbon novelty motorcycle helmet. When descending at speed I want a real helmet if I was worrying about it.
I switched to the Kong Scarab several years ago. It's approved in Europe for cycling, but sold here in the U.S. for climbing, kayaking etc. It seemingly provides substantial protection to the noggin, but I haven't yet had an opportunity to test it for its primary functionality. It is very light, the fitting system is well thought out and comfortable, and it never seemed too hot when riding in the California desert this summer. It does not have CPSC approval for cycling, however, but at $150 it is not priced for that market anyway.

Oh, I'm wearing it in my avatar at left.....

https://www.kong.it/doc305.htm
https://www.sierradescents.com/review...ng/scarab.html

Last edited by Cyclesafe; 08-03-09 at 01:13 PM.
Cyclesafe is offline  
Old 08-03-09, 02:48 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
go to the shop and try them out, most manufacturers divide the lower end in two categories, one size fits all and multiple sizes. Around $40-$80 is a good helmet. Getting opinions on fit only works if your head is shaped like others. I've had helmets from Giro, Bell and Specialized in that price range and they all worked regarding ventilation. I had to outfit some with bits of sticky backed weatherstriipping to take out hard spots. Going upa long hill at 5mph with a 5mph tailwind makes taking the helmet off a consideration but it seems that all the helmets nowadays are pretty good once there's a 7mph+movement of air through the helmet.


https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=39406
LeeG is offline  
Old 08-03-09, 02:52 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
I agree, I went over to a cap rather than a helmet a few years ago and find I enjoy my riding more. The only time I get a bit worried is on downhills.

https://www.rapha.cc/rapha-cap

I did all my touring with a cap when I was younger in the 70's. Rode all over California. Only got into helmets when I got into racing and training. Now I'm an old fart and have had enough cumulative experiences with caring for people with head injuries and experiencing my own that it's no longer a worthwhile risk.
LeeG is offline  
Old 08-03-09, 09:07 PM
  #16  
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Posts: 9,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by skijor
Do NOT buy anything that you can't try on first. My last skid lid was a $$$ Giro Atmos...doesn't fit as well as my either of my old helmets. If a $30 helmet is what fits you best and has several vents, get it.
What he said. If you buy a helmet that does not fit properly, you might as well ride without it.
__________________
I am clinically insane. I am proud of it.

That is all.
Chris L is offline  
Old 08-04-09, 01:01 AM
  #17  
Cycled on all continents
 
JohnyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 408

Bikes: see homepage (currently only in German)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Charlie,

Originally Posted by buffaloborn85
Hey everyone!

I was wondering what you guys use to protect your noggin's on tour. On my trip across New York last spring, I rode with a Bern helmet which was hot as hell. I'm looking at purchasing a new one for the fall, and am looking for the lightest, coolest temperature wise, and least expensive one on the market.

If I find one that has high reviews from a lot of people, I will forgo the expense and splurge if it's worth it.

Thanks!!

Charlie
I had the same problems and I bought the Giro Atoms. It increase the temperature by 10C. My old helmet was useable till 25 C the Atmos up to 35C. Unfortunately I even get higher temperatures (on the road - not in the shadow) on tour. So I decided not to use the helmet on a bike tour. The last times the helmet ended at the rack I only used it for long downhills and gravel roads.
I only use it on the race (faster = cooler) and MTB (forests = more shadow). Regarding the heat: For me is more comfortable to use a cap, which I can turn that one ear, the neck is the shadow. Making the cap wet, it's a good AC.
So buy you good helmets - try it - but remove it if it's getting too hot.

Thomas
JohnyW is offline  
Old 08-04-09, 03:56 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,435

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding a bike without a helmet is as stupid as smoking. When I see a person riding without a helmet I think "dumbass" - pretty much the same as when I see someone with a cigarette burning between their fingers.
Cyclesafe is offline  
Old 08-04-09, 04:13 AM
  #19  
Tinkerer since 1980
 
TheBrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London
Posts: 922

Bikes: Coppi racer, Old school BMX, some random a fixed wheel convertion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cyclesafe
Riding a bike without a helmet is as stupid as smoking. When I see a person riding without a helmet I think "dumbass" - pretty much the same as when I see someone with a cigarette burning between their fingers.
Just quoting you so you can't change what you've written.
TheBrick is offline  
Old 08-04-09, 04:15 AM
  #20  
Never say never
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 76

Bikes: 2005 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as we have a current thread discussing helmets going, here's something I've often wondered about. I've seen helmets from Uvex that have a bug screen covering the front vents (from the inside). Does anybody have any experience with these or have an opinion on whether a bug screen is a feature worth seeking out in a helmet? Thanks.
rpk0925 is offline  
Old 08-04-09, 04:36 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,435

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBrick
Just quoting you so you can't change what you've written.
Why would I ever do that? Is it the bit about the helmet or the smoking that you find provocative?

Originally Posted by rpk0925
As long as we have a current thread discussing helmets going, here's something I've often wondered about. I've seen helmets from Uvex that have a bug screen covering the front vents (from the inside). Does anybody have any experience with these or have an opinion on whether a bug screen is a feature worth seeking out in a helmet? Thanks.
Have you ever been stung by a bee or wasp that got trapped in your helmet? I have several times and its not pleasant. A screen wouldn't be my first priority in picking out a helmet, but it would be a positive feature.
Cyclesafe is offline  
Old 08-04-09, 04:42 AM
  #22  
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Posts: 9,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I'm wondering where this idea about helmet getting "too hot" comes from. I've toured on days that were 47 degrees C in the shade -- ridden up 9% grades in those conditions, and I didn't feel the need to remove the helmet, or even that removing it would make all that much difference. I also regularly ride in humidity exceeding 90% and still don't feel the need to ride helmetless to avoid the heat. Maybe someone could explain that one to me.
__________________
I am clinically insane. I am proud of it.

That is all.
Chris L is offline  
Old 08-04-09, 05:25 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclesafe
Riding a bike without a helmet is as stupid as smoking. When I see a person riding without a helmet I think "dumbass" - pretty much the same as when I see someone with a cigarette burning between their fingers.
really? I think, how cool and sexy.
LeeG is offline  
Old 08-04-09, 05:33 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 11,865
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L
I'm wondering where this idea about helmet getting "too hot" comes from. I've toured on days that were 47 degrees C in the shade -- ridden up 9% grades in those conditions, and I didn't feel the need to remove the helmet, or even that removing it would make all that much difference. I also regularly ride in humidity exceeding 90% and still don't feel the need to ride helmetless to avoid the heat. Maybe someone could explain that one to me.
My experience greatly differs with the part of your post that I changed to bold. I usually tough out the climbs with my helmet on, but on one long climb where the heat was doing me in I took off my helmet and wore a bike hat. It felt 20 degrees cooler and I completed a long climb that I had been struggling on in relative ease.

BTW: I have also found that wrap-around sunglasses can make it feel a good bit hotter. This probably depends on the glasses, but I found that with the ones I wore on the TA, taking them off on a climb in hot weather helped a lot.

I wear a helmet, but am not in the camp that considers folks who don't wear them on tours to be idiots.
staehpj1 is offline  
Old 08-04-09, 06:27 AM
  #25  
Never say never
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 76

Bikes: 2005 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclesafe
Have you ever been stung by a bee or wasp that got trapped in your helmet? I have several times and its not pleasant. A screen wouldn't be my first priority in picking out a helmet, but it would be a positive feature.
Say no more. With that in mind, I'm a little surprised you don't see more of those types of helmets.
rpk0925 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.