Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Show Off your Track Training and Racing Bikes (2014+)

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Show Off your Track Training and Racing Bikes (2014+)

Old 05-01-15, 10:07 AM
  #276  
Junior Member
 
alfa111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 22

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Track Elite, 1990-something Steel Fuji Fixie conversion

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


2015 Fuji Elite 61. Love that they did away paint and went with just a clear coat
alfa111 is offline  
Old 05-01-15, 12:58 PM
  #277  
Senior Member
 
Velocirapture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 429

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alfa111


2015 Fuji Elite 61. Love that they did away paint and went with just a clear coat
Very nice
Velocirapture is offline  
Old 05-01-15, 08:37 PM
  #278  
Great at turning left
 
Huskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 82

Bikes: BT Stealth

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is my new frame, It's a 55cm BT Stealth, I've had it a week or two now but only just got round to taking photos. Its had two owner before me and had one or two chips in the clear coat and needed a good cut and polish all over, but I got it for a steal and I absolutely love it.
Its alot heavier than my planet-x but it doesn't feel any heavier when actually riding it. I feel a lot more comfortable on this than the planet-x just due to it being more aggressive, plus its stiff as anything when pulling though the last turn to the finish line at full throttle.

PLUS!!! it comes with a 27.2mm seatpost


sorry for the large picture size. Photobucket doesn't seem to want to resize them today.
Huskey is offline  
Old 05-01-15, 10:09 PM
  #279  
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,965
Liked 93 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by alfa111


2015 Fuji Elite 61. Love that they did away paint and went with just a clear coat
Nice! This bike was on my short list of bikes to get.

Originally Posted by Huskey
Here is my new frame, It's a 55cm BT Stealth, I've had it a week or two now but only just got round to taking photos. Its had two owner before me and had one or two chips in the clear coat and needed a good cut and polish all over, but I got it for a steal and I absolutely love it.
Its alot heavier than my planet-x but it doesn't feel any heavier when actually riding it. I feel a lot more comfortable on this than the planet-x just due to it being more aggressive, plus its stiff as anything when pulling though the last turn to the finish line at full throttle.

PLUS!!! it comes with a 27.2mm seatpost
Nice! And 27.2 (or any round post) is a bonus these days.

How do you like the Keywin pedals?
carleton is offline  
Old 05-01-15, 10:23 PM
  #280  
Lapped 3x
 
taras0000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 43.2330941,-79.8022037,17
Posts: 1,723
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton

How do you like the Keywin pedals?
Was going to ask the same question. I used to have a set of the older ones from about 15 years ago. How do the new ones compare?
taras0000 is offline  
Old 05-01-15, 11:26 PM
  #281  
Great at turning left
 
Huskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 82

Bikes: BT Stealth

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Absolutely love them. I've had this pair since I was 16/17 (I'm 22 now) and they were second hand when I got them. I need new cleats for them as they're a bit worn.

The pin lock system on the bottom of them is awesome for keeping your foot in
Huskey is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 09:00 AM
  #282  
Senior Member
 
theblackbullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 760

Bikes: I don't even

Liked 249 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Drumroll, please.....


With full race kit:
- 61cm Snyder steel frame
- Zipp 900 disc
- Wheelbuilder.com race front wheel (a-la Zipp 404)
- Dura-Ace cranks
- Ultegra pedals with single Toshi straps
- 3T Scatto bars
- Thomson seatpost, seatpost clamp (x2), stem
- Chris King headset and spacers
- Fizik Arione Tri2 saddle



17.11lbs / 7.76kg



I have a lot to think about right now... This changes everything.
Glad to see that you are digging it man! Even with my heavier components, I come in right around mid 18s. I know he has Rob Herrel's frame at the shop that sits right around 14 or 15, but I think it's a fair trade off for us to get the big boy tubing!

Excuse the front brake as I was using it for a road TT that weekend.


Last edited by theblackbullet; 05-02-15 at 09:03 AM.
theblackbullet is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 02:22 PM
  #283  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 740

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alfa111


2015 Fuji Elite 61. Love that they did away paint and went with just a clear coat
Whats the word on the Fuji Elite frame? Geometry looks decent, Id get a lot more reach than my cervelo. Any comment on the BB and steerer stiffness? That is my only concern with a 'cheaper' carbon frameset.

How tall are you? Im 6'4 and was thinking of only getting the 58, but again its a bit bigger than my current 58 anyway. Id lose 20mm in the stack and gain 20mm in the reach, both of which are what I am trying to get out of a new frame
gtrob is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 04:26 PM
  #284  
Lapped 3x
 
taras0000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 43.2330941,-79.8022037,17
Posts: 1,723
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
It's a well respected frame. Proper track geo, stiff and light. Most people that try one/buy one are not disappointed. The only complaint I have ever heard about the bike is the stupid insane logos all over it.

Last edited by taras0000; 05-02-15 at 04:33 PM.
taras0000 is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 05:36 PM
  #285  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 740

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The old one was pretty fugly, I think they figured that out with this one lol. The stickers come off the wheels pretty easily on this one I hear too.
gtrob is offline  
Old 05-03-15, 05:53 PM
  #286  
Junior Member
 
alfa111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 22

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Track Elite, 1990-something Steel Fuji Fixie conversion

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob
Whats the word on the Fuji Elite frame? Geometry looks decent, Id get a lot more reach than my cervelo. Any comment on the BB and steerer stiffness? That is my only concern with a 'cheaper' carbon frameset.

How tall are you? Im 6'4 and was thinking of only getting the 58, but again its a bit bigger than my current 58 anyway. Id lose 20mm in the stack and gain 20mm in the reach, both of which are what I am trying to get out of a new frame
It feels stiffer than anything else i've ridden. I'm 6'2" and needed something with a long reach to get more stretched out. Not many other frames have a reach this long, especially for the price. I would also look at serenity and felt, but for the money this is definitely the best bet for a frame this big. I you go for a Fuji Elite, don't buy the complete bike, just get the frameset and find wheels somewhere else. The wheels are way over priced when you buy the complete bike.
alfa111 is offline  
Old 05-28-15, 07:15 AM
  #287  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 26
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
KHS Flite 100 Pursuit to Dolan Pre Cursa



Oldest son bought a very old Little 500 bike and the seller gave him a KHS Flite 100 Pursuit as a 2 for 1 deal. All told it was $250. The Flite had 165mm Sugino 75 cranks with a FSA bb. Bought a 58cm Dolan Pre Cursa frame and fork from eBay and using parts from the Flite, the basement and from eBay we built it up over the weekend. The wheels are Campy track hubs (pre 1972) laced to Velocity Deep V tubulars with Tufo S33 Pro tires. KMC K710SL chain. Nitto B123 bars. Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel saddle.

Last edited by EsqDavidK; 05-28-15 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Added detail
EsqDavidK is offline  
Old 05-28-15, 09:18 AM
  #288  
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,965
Liked 93 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by EsqDavidK


Oldest son bought a very old Little 500 bike and the seller gave him a KHS Flite 100 Pursuit as a 2 for 1 deal. All told it was $250. The Flite had 165mm Sugino 75 cranks with a FSA bb. Bought a 58cm Dolan Pre Cursa frame and fork from eBay and using parts from the Flite, the basement and from eBay we built it up over the weekend. The wheels are Campy track hubs (pre 1972) laced to Velocity Deep V tubulars with Tufo S33 Pro tires. KMC K710SL chain. Nitto B123 bars. Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel saddle.
Nice build from a great deal.

Maybe set the KHS up as a dedicated pursuit bike?
carleton is offline  
Old 05-28-15, 09:48 AM
  #289  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 26
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. I do see the KHS getting some action this year or next. Its conceivable I will have 3 kids racing in a year or so and I might get back into shape and try to relive the 80s as well. The KHS came with a nice 3/32nd chainring, 14 and 15 cog and chain that will otherwise be unused.
EsqDavidK is offline  
Old 06-01-15, 05:11 PM
  #290  
Senior Member
 
derek.fulmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 465
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
So, apparently Hell has frozen over because I now riding a steel bike



This is my new Custom Snyder Cycles frame:
Snyder Cycles - Handmade Bicycles

Seth was really really cool about accommodating me and my desire for a custom geometry and other concerns. He delivered on time and on budget. He even did the powdercoat job in-house. Seth is a cool guy and also a track racer. We met at DLV back in 2009 or so.

I rode and raced it for the first time today. The geometry feels really good. Really neutral. Similar to the Dolan DF3 and my Tiemeyers mainly because of the 74 deg head tube angle, 30mm offset fork, and long wheel base that they all share. Bumps were noticably less harsh than with my Tiemeyer. The bump/vibration dampening felt like my Dolan DF3. I did a few cautious (80%) standing starts and I felt no flex. Seth said that he took my size and strength into consideration with his tube choices. Seems to be working. I'll do some 100% standing starts this weekend. Hopefully I won't need to use chain tensioners.

I'm very happy with this bike.
For as long as I have been on these forums, I never thought I'd see you ride a steel track bike!

A part of me really wants to stick to steel for all my rides. Maybe Ti but there aren't many aluminum track frames I can ride with stock geo.

Bike looks awesome. Love the orange!
derek.fulmer is offline  
Old 06-01-15, 07:56 PM
  #291  
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,965
Liked 93 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by derek.fulmer
For as long as I have been on these forums, I never thought I'd see you ride a steel track bike!

A part of me really wants to stick to steel for all my rides. Maybe Ti but there aren't many aluminum track frames I can ride with stock geo.

Bike looks awesome. Love the orange!
Thanks!
carleton is offline  
Old 06-03-15, 11:52 AM
  #292  
Junior Member
 
dickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another Snyder owner! 58 cm Rage Machine, comes in at 15 lbs. with the training setup. Seth built this up for me last year before the 2014 DLV season. Modeled after my CAAD 8 frame - cuz it feels so good - the head tube is long, but it's pretty comfy for enduro stuff and riding on the road. True Temper Verus tubing. Miche hubs and cranks. 3T cockpit; Ergonovas are dope.






Last edited by dickey; 06-03-15 at 11:57 AM.
dickey is offline  
Old 06-03-15, 01:28 PM
  #293  
Senior Member
 
derek.fulmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 465
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dickey
Another Snyder owner! 58 cm Rage Machine, comes in at 15 lbs. with the training setup. Seth built this up for me last year before the 2014 DLV season. Modeled after my CAAD 8 frame - cuz it feels so good - the head tube is long, but it's pretty comfy for enduro stuff and riding on the road. True Temper Verus tubing. Miche hubs and cranks. 3T cockpit; Ergonovas are dope.






These Snyder Rage Machine's are slowly creeping up my want list for my track frame! Damn y'all!
derek.fulmer is offline  
Old 06-15-15, 07:31 AM
  #294  
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,586

Bikes: yes

Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts


My Langster Pro in race trim at the Major Taylor Velodrome's Midwest Challenge this past weekend, where I got to throw down against @theblackbullet and his crew, among other speedy dudes.
queerpunk is offline  
Old 06-16-15, 07:42 AM
  #295  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 26
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
queerpunk: Watched you from the stands Friday and Saturday at MTV - you and your bike looked good. Do you mind sharing what gearing you used for the various races? Or, is this a sort of "secret sauce" area? Thanks. David K
EsqDavidK is offline  
Old 06-16-15, 08:00 AM
  #296  
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,586

Bikes: yes

Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by EsqDavidK
queerpunk: Watched you from the stands Friday and Saturday at MTV - you and your bike looked good. Do you mind sharing what gearing you used for the various races? Or, is this a sort of "secret sauce" area? Thanks. David K
Thanks! No secret sauce here. I was on a 93 (48x14) for the scratch and points races, and a 92 (51x15) for the madison and elimination. That's within a range of being pretty similar to each other, obviously - but small differences in gearing can have big differences in feel, oddly. At least at first. Once I get going I mainly feel like I'm on a bike. I very rarely realize I'm in the wrong gear.

For a longer scratch race (in, perhaps, a larger elite field, or on a faster track) I could go up to a 49, but that's sort of a "relax and keep the speed high" gear. For the madison I could have gone down to a 50, since I had the easy job of just hanging out while my teammate lit up the sprints.
queerpunk is offline  
Old 06-16-15, 09:08 AM
  #297  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 26
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the info. Hope you return to MTV next year. David K
EsqDavidK is offline  
Old 07-19-15, 01:17 PM
  #298  
Senior Member
 
Bulldogsprinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Finland
Posts: 81
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


My new race bike. Dolan Df4 57cm. 12cm Zipp Service Course stem. Easton 90 Pro track handlebar. Prologo Nack Zero TT saddle (looking to change it to a Fizik Arione). Race wheelset Zipp Super 9 tubular disc rear and Navigator 5N front wheel, for training I have Miche Pista WR tubular (probably looking to get a new pair with double sided threads on the rear). Dura-ace 7710 cranks 172.5, had 165 before. They were too short, 172.5 is good but thinking 170 might be perfect. Dura-ace pedals with double straps (prefer the feel of doubles vs singles). Chain Daido NHJ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dolan track bike.jpg (98.4 KB, 973 views)
File Type: jpg
bike2.jpg (98.9 KB, 241 views)
Bulldogsprinter is offline  
Old 07-19-15, 04:59 PM
  #299  
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,965
Liked 93 Times in 78 Posts


Nice.

You might consider upgrading to Toshi or Kashimax straps. They are 2 layers of leather with a nylon layer in-between. The nylon keeps them from stretching. WELL worth the extra expense if you use toe straps. They last a very long time, too. The ones I've used last 2 seasons of regular training/racing use and I only replace them because they look dirty but they still work fine.

I've found no significant performance difference between single or double strap Toshi use. I'm a bigger (and stronger) than average guy and singles keep me in the pedals. But, I will admit that doubles do feel better.
carleton is offline  
Old 07-19-15, 05:01 PM
  #300  
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,965
Liked 93 Times in 78 Posts
Also, I LOVE the wheel covers. Are they one solid hoop or do they detach somewhere for easy installation and removal?
carleton is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.