Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

In praise of winter riding.

Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

In praise of winter riding.

Reply

Old 11-16-17, 06:24 PM
  #1  
dmanthree
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 712

Bikes: 2017 Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
In praise of winter riding.

It's 30F, dark, and I'm on the road. And loving it. Why? I think it's my job. I work in IT and spend my days in a virtual sensory depravation tank called 'my office,' or on the couch at home, working remotely. It's a pretty monotone and sanitized environment, so I jump at the chance to get on the road, yes, even when it's cold and dark to escape the tank. And feel *something.* Trainers? Yes, I have one, but use it only when the roads are impassable. Indoor riding is a virtual death sentence, for me. Modern gear and clothing keeps me pretty warm. GP 4 Season tires are nice and durable. And that Light and Motion Seca 2200 is simply excellent. Gear matters.

Give me the cold and dark over a trainer any day. Now if I can just stop popping spokes.
dmanthree is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 06:36 PM
  #2  
NTX_Cycler
Senior Member
 
NTX_Cycler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 96

Bikes: Giant MB (need to determine model)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I am awaiting my bonus so I CAN buy the bike I want and get out and ride. I don't do an office as our corporate is in CA and I am in TX. I work from home (apartment) when I am not traveling to a client site (which since Feb has been ZERO).

I desperately want to get out. I walk, but I don't see much in the time I am walking (can only cover so much distance).

I definitely look forward to winter riding and even more so riding with friends when the weather warms up again.
NTX_Cycler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 07:14 PM
  #3  
srestrepo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 298

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
I'm waiting on a bonus too. Im trying to save up for schwalbe marathon winters so I can attempt at year round commuting. Funny, I just upgraded my tires to conti GP 4 seasons myself which, I'm very fond of. Working in a corporate insurance company, I know exactly what you mean. I bring my new light & motion Taz 1200, Cygolite hotshot 150 and Lezyne super GPS to charge at my desk to give me reminders of the relief to come. The rides to and from work have helped me immensely with morale and job performance.I have a trainer I stopped using in lieu of new gear for being outside in all weather.
I hear what you're sayin, this post resonates with me.

Be safe and enjoy yourself out there.
srestrepo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 08:32 PM
  #4  
alias5000
Raised a new winter bike
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ontario
Posts: 255

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, 2007 Trek 6000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
And feel *something.*
I'm in engineering, I know what you mean. Glad you are getting out this way.

I decided to give cycling for UberEats a shot and see if this can help me getting across the couch line in the moments when I have trouble motivating myself to leave the house because of having spent to much time in logic world.
alias5000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 07:53 AM
  #5  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 19,995

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2095 Post(s)
+1 working at a desk job all day is mind numbing. I do contract maintenance & scheduling. Zzzz ... past few weeks been getting out for 1 or 2 nite rides immediately after work. right around 3 o'clock, start getting excited cuz I know I'll be going out to play soon!
rumrunn6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 09:24 AM
  #6  
dmanthree
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 712

Bikes: 2017 Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
+1 working at a desk job all day is mind numbing. I do contract maintenance & scheduling. Zzzz ... past few weeks been getting out for 1 or 2 nite rides immediately after work. right around 3 o'clock, start getting excited cuz I know I'll be going out to play soon!
Right there with you. I start mentally planning a route around 3PM and after that, well, it's only a matter of time. And I *love* the looks I get when I'm out there.

This year, however, there's wrinkle. I'll be in Naples, FL, for most of December so I'll be, for a few weeks, back in the sun. But come January, well, time for the gear once again.
dmanthree is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 11:46 AM
  #7  
dmanthree
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 712

Bikes: 2017 Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
I'm waiting on a bonus too. Im trying to save up for schwalbe marathon winters so I can attempt at year round commuting. Funny, I just upgraded my tires to conti GP 4 seasons myself which, I'm very fond of. Working in a corporate insurance company, I know exactly what you mean. I bring my new light & motion Taz 1200, Cygolite hotshot 150 and Lezyne super GPS to charge at my desk to give me reminders of the relief to come. The rides to and from work have helped me immensely with morale and job performance.I have a trainer I stopped using in lieu of new gear for being outside in all weather.
I hear what you're sayin, this post resonates with me.

Be safe and enjoy yourself out there.
Thanks, and yes, safety is everything. I usually assume I'm invisible and go from there.

You'll love the GP 4 Seasons. I ride them from October to April and have never flatted one! The current is new, but I usually get at least three seasons out of a pair. Not the fastest tire, but I like the security, and would likely hate changing a tube at freezing temps.
dmanthree is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 01:21 PM
  #8  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 10,493

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4534 Post(s)
I work in IT as well but work from home all the time. The need to get out of the house is real and modern LED lighting is a godsend.

A 40 mile ride Wednesday night started at 8:30 PM and ended at just after 11:00 PM with a stop for hot coffee half way through the ride. After 10:00 PM there was hardly a car on the road.

Love, love, love a good mixed-surface ride at night. Paved and unpaved sectors linked together - cross country running trails behind the high school, Army Corps land and other wooded areas - with 1800 lumens blazing is a total blast.


-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 11-17-17 at 01:25 PM.
TimothyH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 03:46 PM
  #9  
dmanthree
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 712

Bikes: 2017 Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
I work in IT as well but work from home all the time. The need to get out of the house is real and modern LED lighting is a godsend.

A 40 mile ride Wednesday night started at 8:30 PM and ended at just after 11:00 PM with a stop for hot coffee half way through the ride. After 10:00 PM there was hardly a car on the road.

Love, love, love a good mixed-surface ride at night. Paved and unpaved sectors linked together - cross country running trails behind the high school, Army Corps land and other wooded areas - with 1800 lumens blazing is a total blast.


-Tim-
Damn, that's a late start! The sun is setting shortly after 4PM now where I live, so, well, it's always dark, it seems. But man, that's a good ride! And yes, you can't beat a powerful headlight. No such thing as too bright for me.

How cold was it? Not too bad, I hope.
dmanthree is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-17, 09:53 AM
  #10  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 10,493

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4534 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
Damn, that's a late start! The sun is setting shortly after 4PM now where I live, so, well, it's always dark, it seems. But man, that's a good ride! And yes, you can't beat a powerful headlight. No such thing as too bright for me.

How cold was it? Not too bad, I hope.
North Georgia here - at the very edge of the northwest Atlanta suburbs. It was a balmy 47į f.

Down here the days are not as long in the summer nor as short in the winter and the daylight you lose in winter you gain back in summer. I lived on Long Island for 44 years and the long summer days are something I miss. Used to do a summer solstice ride starting at first light, well before 5:00 AM. Sunrise is 7:15 AM and sunset is 5:30 PM here today.

Late rides are not that big of a deal for me because I work from home and can sleep while everyone else is stuck on the interstate. There is also the opportunity for a lunchtime nap.

My company has an employee by you, Lawrence, I think, and I support a customer in Manchester. Virtualization, storage and blades. What do you do?


-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-17, 06:57 PM
  #11  
dmanthree
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 712

Bikes: 2017 Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
North Georgia here - at the very edge of the northwest Atlanta suburbs. It was a balmy 47į f.

Down here the days are not as long in the summer nor as short in the winter and the daylight you lose in winter you gain back in summer. I lived on Long Island for 44 years and the long summer days are something I miss. Used to do a summer solstice ride starting at first light, well before 5:00 AM. Sunrise is 7:15 AM and sunset is 5:30 PM here today.

Late rides are not that big of a deal for me because I work from home and can sleep while everyone else is stuck on the interstate. There is also the opportunity for a lunchtime nap.

My company has an employee by you, Lawrence, I think, and I support a customer in Manchester. Virtualization, storage and blades. What do you do?


-Tim-
I work in IT for Raytheon. I work from home quite a bit, but go to the office when necessary. And right now we're seeing sunsets shortly after 4PM. Earliest is on Dec 11th, at 4:11 PM. So....headlights!
dmanthree is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 08:51 AM
  #12  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 19,995

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2095 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
I work in IT for Raytheon. I work from home quite a bit, but go to the office when necessary. And right now we're seeing sunsets shortly after 4PM. Earliest is on Dec 11th, at 4:11 PM. So....headlights!
I have to remember this cuz I sometimes get out late for my rides. yesterday (after an off-road ride) I only had my "backup" light & wanted it for a cpl traffic situations on my way home. getting dark w drizzle so a front light would have helped get some courtesy from the cagers, but it was acting funky & I realized it doesn't have a blink mode. what designer would make a bike light w no flash mode
rumrunn6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 06:06 PM
  #13  
wipekitty
vespertine member
 
wipekitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: organic valley
Posts: 1,299

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Yes...there's something nice about the dark and cold. I'm just under 44 degrees North, and it's getting dark around 4:30. I like taking rides in the evening, so it's dark now. Last year, I graduated to rural road biking in cold weather. This year, I've graduated to doing (some) hills in the dark!

Soon, we'll have the permasnow and it will be time to hit the roads with my slow, beastly winter bike. It's a fun challenge and a change of pace - and makes going back to normal non-studded tires seem fast!
wipekitty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 06:58 PM
  #14  
Abe_Froman
Senior Member
 
Abe_Froman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,984

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7501 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post

Give me the cold and dark over a trainer any day. Now if I can just stop popping spokes.
Rebuild your wheel. Itís a lot easier than you imagine. If youíve popped more than one or teo, itís just going to keep happening. Youíve reached the end of tr fatigue life of your spokes, due to under tension, or just plain miles.
Abe_Froman is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-17, 03:52 AM
  #15  
Witterings
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
All the guys in IT and here's the leper of the bunch ... IT Recruitment

Much the same as others, work from home, started cycling nights relatively recently and love it ... find it so quiet and peaceful it's almost quite therapeutic.

A friend who used to do a lot of road cycling until 3 years ago came out with me for the 1st time the other evening, we were going down this little country lane in the middle of nowhere and he just suddenly said "Agggghhhh, isn't this amasing" and I thought .... so it's not just me
Witterings is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 10:18 AM
  #16  
srestrepo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 298

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Finally got my bonus in, felt like i had to follow up with this.

not to show off but here it is. its been cold lately. and its been nice, the crisp air really helps to wake up and the ride in helps to make my mood better.

cheers to you guys, i hope the bikes help you with your inner peace as well.





srestrepo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-17, 04:56 PM
  #17  
Witterings
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
WTF are those tyres ... looks like someones punched nails in them all the way round :-)

I#mm guessing the Hi Viz is built into them ????
Witterings is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-17, 06:54 PM
  #18  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,714
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
It's encouraging because usually at this time of year there'd be a bunch of threads about trainers and spin classes and I haven't found any. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Riding in the snow is a real workout in itself.
Daniel4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-17, 11:32 PM
  #19  
vintagerando 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Hear! Hear! I bought my first set of rollers this Fall. I had big plans for putting in hours on the rollers; found it mind numbing. The feeling of being out in the cold, moving, free....cannot replicate it.
__________________
1973 Raleigh Competition
1983 Peter Mooney
1995 Waterford 1200
1996 Waterford 1200
2003 Dahon Speed P8
2013 Rawland Stag
2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
vintagerando is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-17, 11:22 AM
  #20  
srestrepo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 298

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Witterings View Post
WTF are those tyres ... looks like someones punched nails in them all the way round :-)

I#mm guessing the Hi Viz is built into them ????

Schwalbe Marathon Winters in 35mm with the reflective Sidewall

these are some porky ass tires but took a sweeping turn at a moderate speed over some ice and didn't fall. its my only experience with studded tires but i really like them.
srestrepo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-17, 07:44 PM
  #21  
Ghazmh
Senior Member
 
Ghazmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Waltham Ma
Posts: 769

Bikes: 2017 Trek Boon 7, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Pro Race Disc, 2016 Soma Smoothie, 2015 Cervelo R3-6870 Di2 with a 2017 frame, 2014 Trek 520, 2006 Gary Fisher Montare

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
It's 30F, dark, and I'm on the road. And loving it. Why? I think it's my job. I work in IT and spend my days in a virtual sensory depravation tank called 'my office,' or on the couch at home, working remotely. It's a pretty monotone and sanitized environment, so I jump at the chance to get on the road, yes, even when it's cold and dark to escape the tank. And feel *something.* Trainers? Yes, I have one, but use it only when the roads are impassable. Indoor riding is a virtual death sentence, for me. Modern gear and clothing keeps me pretty warm. GP 4 Season tires are nice and durable. And that Light and Motion Seca 2200 is simply excellent. Gear matters.

Give me the cold and dark over a trainer any day. Now if I can just stop popping spokes.
Roubaix with GP 4 seasons and a Seca 2200? That's what I have......... although I mostly ride early in the morning. Heading out tomorrow morning for a super cold and spirited morning ride.
Ghazmh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-17, 11:00 PM
  #22  
superdex
staring at the mountains
 
superdex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 4,103

Bikes: Javelin Boca, Spesh Crux

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post

A 40 mile ride Wednesday night started at 8:30 PM and ended at just after 11:00 PM with a stop for hot coffee half way through the ride. After 10:00 PM there was hardly a car on the road.

definitely NOT wife approved 'round these parts.
superdex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-17, 09:42 AM
  #23  
dmanthree
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 712

Bikes: 2017 Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Back to the Cold.

Originally Posted by Ghazmh View Post
Roubaix with GP 4 seasons and a Seca 2200? That's what I have......... although I mostly ride early in the morning. Heading out tomorrow morning for a super cold and spirited morning ride.
I've been riding days lately in Naples, FL. But I head back north soon so if the roads are clear, well, I'm back in the dark.

It's a great combo though.
dmanthree is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-17, 11:15 AM
  #24  
MikeyMK
Cycleway town
 
MikeyMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milton Keynes, England
Posts: 397

Bikes: 1.9kw GT LTS-3, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
I could've done with studs, recently.

MikeyMK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-17, 12:48 PM
  #25  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 19,995

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2095 Post(s)
Originally Posted by MikeyMK View Post
I could've done with studs, recently
well that's DEEP! even w studs that's hard work. guess a fat bike would be good in that, huh?
rumrunn6 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service