Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross, 2011 RM Flow1
    Posts
    11,320
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Clyde race division question

    This year is my first season back racing of any sort in about 20 years. My first race is next month, and I'm signed up for the Beginners division. After that first race, most people would seed themselves in the Cat-4 for the sake of competition, but the upcoming fall season of PDX Cross Crusade races has a Clydesdale division. If I'm racing at 6'6" and just a shade over 200 pounds (205-ish) is it more "on the level" to seed myself with the Clyde class and hope that RCB (sponsor of the series) doesn't re-seed me, or should I seed myself with the Cat-4 division?

    The big determination comes down to Team Points for the series. If my team is 10 deep for the series then we might be in the running for series classification, and if I finish well in the Clyde category it could be advantitous. But looking at the previous Clyde finishes; the field is 50+ deep and could be competitive for a fit Clyde, with a number of tall/ripped guys racing.

    Where would you seed yourself if you are 6'6", 205 pounds, and racing on a singlespeed (knowing that the singlespeed division is "open" and will include Cat-1/2 racers)? Clydes division or Cat-4? (Considering I don't make Cat-4 Masters for another 2 years).
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  2. #2
    Senior Member jr59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    2,168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EVERY Clyde event I have ever seen is filled with guys that should be racing cat 3 or better. They may weigh over 200, but a lot of those guys are flat out ripped and can really ride.

    It's also like this in the masters div. A bunch of old racers cat 3 or better.

    I don't know your area, so I can only speak of what I have seen.
    In one of the bigger tri events here, a clyde finished in the top 5 overall. So much for being a fat fast guy!

    Good luck!
    Gravity hates us all, but it hates me more than thin people!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB
    Posts
    1,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It cant hurt to try it either way. Worst case scenario youre outclassed and learn that you need to be with the Cat 4s. youre definitely clyde qualified though

  4. #4
    Senior Member Herbie53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    5,756
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is this a route(s) with a lot of up? I find being bigger an advantage and can actually put some hurt on the waify types if the ups are not too much.... especially if it is windy. If that was the case I would say the 4.

    On the flipside, while we do not have Clyde fields, I would suspect they would go uphill at a more suitable pace than a bunch of young waifs.
    "Today me will live in the moment, unless it's unpleasant, then me will eat cookie." -Cookie Monster

  5. #5
    Senior Member 1855Cru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    My Bikes
    2011 Trek 2.1, 2011 Cervelo R3
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rules are the rules, so you would qualify for Clyde status.

    I wish that Clyde categories were based on something other than height and weight, maybe BMI? It would make things much fairer in my opinion.
    http://www.ablokeandabike.blogspot.com

    2011 Cervelo R3
    2011 Trek 2.1
    2011 Trek X-Caliber
    2005 Gitane Oregon
    2000 Trek 820 Multitour

  6. #6
    Senior Member Homeyba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, California
    My Bikes
    Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light
    Posts
    3,370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter what division you are in there will be sandbaggers. Just a fact of the racing world life.
    It doesn't get harder, you just go slower.

  7. #7
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross, 2011 RM Flow1
    Posts
    11,320
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
    EVERY Clyde event I have ever seen is filled with guys that should be racing cat 3 or better. They may weigh over 200, but a lot of those guys are flat out ripped and can really ride.
    I wouldn't mind that at all. I found some vids of the Clyde races from last year's series online and there are plenty of quick looking riders, but the field also looks to be pretty evenly spaced on both skill and athleticism. Saw quite a few slow dudes trip over the barriers, and a couple of quick guys slip up and catch a wheel on the barrier and become a pile up.

    Quote Originally Posted by TechKnowGN View Post
    It cant hurt to try it either way. Worst case scenario youre outclassed and learn that you need to be with the Cat 4s. youre definitely clyde qualified though
    Outclassed I'm OK with; makes ya push harder. I know well enough to stay out of the singlespeed division though. I think I might get lapped before I made it once around, knowing some of the guys around here who race that division.

    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie53 View Post
    Is this a route(s) with a lot of up? I find being bigger an advantage and can actually put some hurt on the waify types if the ups are not too much.... especially if it is windy. If that was the case I would say the 4.
    It's 'cross racing, so the ups are mostly run-ups. The big disadvantage to being a Clyde in a non-Clyde race would be on really muddy days. Lighter guys can "float" better in the muck and mire. I look more like trying to take '73 Bonneville station wagon out muddin'.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1855Cru View Post
    The rules are the rules, so you would qualify for Clyde status.

    I wish that Clyde categories were based on something other than height and weight, maybe BMI? It would make things much fairer in my opinion.
    For the River City Bicycles Cross Crusade series, the Clyde division is strictly on weight. No 6'1", 170 pounders in there just because they're above 6 feet; gotta make that 200 pound mark to qualify.
    The problem with BMI based qualifications is that there's still going to be a lot of lean racers who qualify. At 6'6" and 215 pounds my BMI is just a hair under 25. With my race kit and shoes, I'd officially weigh in heavy enough to tip the BMI calculators into the "overweight" range, even though my bodyfat percentage is in the mid 16s right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Homeyba View Post
    It doesn't matter what division you are in there will be sandbaggers. Just a fact of the racing world life.
    Well, it's not like I plan on giving Zdenek competition for the Worlds any time soon.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Homeyba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, California
    My Bikes
    Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light
    Posts
    3,370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
    Well, it's not like I plan on giving Zdenek competition for the Worlds any time soon.
    Hey, don't sell yourself short! You never know!
    It doesn't get harder, you just go slower.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually choose based on how many participants there will be. If there is going to be some good competition in the Clyde division, go for it. If I know an event is only going to have 3-5 clydes, I sign up in the regular non-clyde division.

  10. #10
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross, 2011 RM Flow1
    Posts
    11,320
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClyde View Post
    I usually choose based on how many participants there will be. If there is going to be some good competition in the Clyde division, go for it. If I know an event is only going to have 3-5 clydes, I sign up in the regular non-clyde division.
    In this race series, there looks to be a pretty big (no pun intended) Clydesdale field. The PDX Cross Crusade is a tremendous participation CX series up here. The Clyde division alone sees 50+ for the first 3 weeks. It only drops to the mid 30s for Clyde entrants by the end of the 8 week series.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
    In this race series, there looks to be a pretty big (no pun intended) Clydesdale field. The PDX Cross Crusade is a tremendous participation CX series up here. The Clyde division alone sees 50+ for the first 3 weeks. It only drops to the mid 30s for Clyde entrants by the end of the 8 week series.
    I guess if I read your original post better, I would have seen the 50+ entrants. Reading fail for me.

    Do the Clyde division. They have it for a reason, and you are a clyde.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •