Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The dark side of having a passion for cycling

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The dark side of having a passion for cycling

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-15, 09:21 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Well, it's been a few days since my gracious acceptance of their invitation to Christmas dinner, and confession that I asked my BF friends for comments. I haven't heard from her since. I'm sure my wife will still be welcome to the Christmas dinner, though I may be eating alone (or with Kyle).

Good suggestion about the fenders and rain gear. He'll have to save for that after the expense of the renovations are paid for.

In the mean time ... I'll keep waiting for her reply.
Old 11-10-15, 09:36 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Phew! I was beginning to get worried that I had offended her. Received a reply just moments ago.

I have read this thread of messages several times now and I laugh a little more each time. I think the suggestion I like the most is the one about you and Kyle riding during dinner. I'm short on chairs anyway, so bring your trainer too and we can just set you boys up in the living room...we'll throw some turkey your way every 10 minutes or so

Looking forward to a fabulous dinner and holiday visit!!
Old 11-11-15, 07:43 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
Phew! I was beginning to get worried that I had offended her. Received a reply just moments ago.

I have read this thread of messages several times now and I laugh a little more each time. I think the suggestion I like the most is the one about you and Kyle riding during dinner. I'm short on chairs anyway, so bring your trainer too and we can just set you boys up in the living room...we'll throw some turkey your way every 10 minutes or so

This is a new take on the kid's table....

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-11-15, 10:49 PM
Some Canuck on a Bike

Bikes: Cannondale, Brodie

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ha ha, great come back!
Old 11-12-15, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what a sweetheart
Old 11-12-15, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Well, it's been a few days since my gracious acceptance of their invitation to Christmas dinner, and confession that I asked my BF friends for comments. I haven't heard from her since. I'm sure my wife will still be welcome to the Christmas dinner, though I may be eating alone (or with Kyle).

Good suggestion about the fenders and rain gear. He'll have to save for that after the expense of the renovations are paid for.

In the mean time ... I'll keep waiting for her reply.
Or maybe a great Christmas present from you to him?

It's just that between turkey throws, you have to do intervals. A bit like commercial intervals while watching TV.
Old 11-21-15, 09:37 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
How can one become inspired with renovation ideas without the use of cycling to get those creative juices flowing?
Just a thought.
Old 11-21-15, 01:46 PM

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would just tell her to shut up and get back in the kitchen where she belongs.

Old 11-21-15, 03:33 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts

A turkey has two legs. You and Kyle could get set up on side-by-side trainers and hang the turkey legs from the ceiling on strings. I don't know how you're going to handle the mashed potatoes but you can figure it out.
Old 11-22-15, 09:12 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Uh----------------not a dark side for Kyle!!!!
Old 11-22-15, 04:31 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I would send a note back saying something like....."I'm sorta getting out of cycling actually. Can't wait to tell Kyle about my new passion...restoring old Ferraris."
Old 11-22-15, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by bruce19
I would send a note back saying something like....."I'm sorta getting out of cycling actually. Can't wait to tell Kyle about my new passion...restoring old Ferraris."
That's good, got a laugh from that. Bikes aren't at all expensive compared to restoring old cars and a few other hobbies.

Thanks everyone for all for your suggestions. Will let you know how Christmas dinner goes.

In the mean time, Happy Thanksgiving to all our neighbors south of the 49!
Old 11-27-15, 10:42 AM

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
I'm somewhat fortunate in that it was my wife who got me back into cycling after a long layoff. It's actually fairly enjoyable for me when she starts grumbling about whatever our wives grumble about regarding cycling, and I can point out to her that she was the one that got me back into it and I warned her where it would lead to.
Old 11-27-15, 01:07 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Tamland 1

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling is like drugs - you never know before someone tries them whether or not they are going to end up addicted. When you wake up and realize what an adult body can do on a bicycle it is consciousness-expanding. We can't be responsible for the outcome.

I have a similar situation. A couple of years ago I invited a young man who works for me with a mild interest in cycling to join me on a 40 mile charity ride. Well, I unleashed a monster! I keep waiting for his wife to file some sort of lawsuit against me for "alienating his affections." He's become a full-fledged cyclosexual (my term for those who have a unnatural affection for their bicycle.)
Old 11-27-15, 07:56 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
This sounds like a wife who needs a bike,