Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Time for a new trainer

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Time for a new trainer

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-16, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Time for a new trainer

Any body have any experience with the Kinetic Rock and Roll?
What do you use, pros and cons?
Old 01-16-16, 09:14 PM
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
I've heard good things about the Kinetic stuff but no direct experience with them. The only negatives I've read is sometimes some users don't like the motion in the one that allows the bike to tilt and sway, others don't seem to mind the motion.

Personally I just use a Minoura mag trainer that I picked up used. I find them used locally and pick them up cheap, usually only lightly used from what I can tell, then when I find another one I pick the best and sell the spares on craigslist.
Old 01-16-16, 10:03 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
On sale new (now old) Minoura Mag with tension adjustment which I keep on the highest tension. Use gears to change dynamics in accordance with Coach Troy's wishes.
Old 01-17-16, 11:36 AM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I've had a Knetic fluid trainer for a couple of years but it's not the Rock and Roll. I've had mag and wind trainers in the past. The fluid trainer is great. It's relatively quiet and gives the resistance I want. I'd really like to try the Rock and Roll because the only complaint I have with trainers in general is they are locked in too tight. I'd like a little more motion.
Old 01-17-16, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you like using the Minoura mag trainer? Is it the model RDA-2429r?
Old 01-17-16, 03:42 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I,m using the Nashbar mag trainer and find it of very good quality that should last for years. Ascent Fluid Trainer
Old 01-17-16, 03:49 PM

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 122 Posts
I did a review in the road forum today on my experience of wind vs fluid.
Old 01-17-16, 04:39 PM

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
FWIW, I have a Blackburn trackstand....a lower end mag trainer. My old one made some noise after a couple of years, so I called the company to order replacement parts.

The customer service gal informed me that they have a lifetime guarantee, so she would happily send me a new trainer, with no hoops for me to jump through. Unbelievably, a few days later a new trainer was at my doorstep. How can ya' beat that?!?
Old 01-19-16, 11:00 AM

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
I have the KK R&R Fluid Trainer. I've had it for about 4 years (IIRC) and have been totally happy with it. Fluid resistance is very smooth and it is relatively quiet. To me the lateral motion that it allows is a big plus. Has a more realistic road feel especially when sprinting out of the saddle.
The negatives are that it is not a smart trainer so if you plan on getting on Zwift it will limit your ability to access all the features since the resistance will not be controlled by the program. It also has a large footprint to allow for the rocking motion. Aside from that it recommend it without hesitation. I must say though if I was in the market to purchase a trainer now I would most likely be looking at a smart trainer.
Old 01-19-16, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a KK Road Machine and use it a lot for the past 10 years. It's been great. At the increased price of the RR I would look at a smart trainer. The software is getting better and the prices are starting to come down a bit. I could have gotten a Wahoo Kicker for Christmas but passed because the cost/reward over the Road Machine wasn't worth it. When I need a new smart phone (mine doesn't want to die) I will get the KK Inride pod for $75 which is recognized as a power meter selection on Trainerroad and has a calibration spin-down feature. Try out the RR and the Road Machine to see if the difference in cost feels worth it to you.
Old 01-19-16, 08:43 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
You might want to pick up a copy of the latest edition of Road Bike Action, they have a good article comparing some of the various levels of trainers out. Made for some interesting reading.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-21-16, 08:06 AM

Bikes: 2014 Giant defy advanced 0 with DI-2, 2013 Blue Triad TT Bike, 2015 Fuji Altamira CX 1.3 Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zwift has become the answer for me. I previously had my bike on a dumb trainer and it was so boring, I just couldn't do it very long. I now Have a new smart tacx Vortex trainer that connect with my PC wirelessly and allows me to ride and compete with others up and down hills and also to ride in a paceline and draft others. It is a remarkable difference, and the resistance changes with the terrain. The difficulty is very similar to riding outside. I have done several rides up to 30 miles and about 90 minutes. I find that the competition allows me to get my heart rate up to 145-160 quite consistently and keep it there.

What I have noticed is that it has allowed me to do this 3-4 times a week and get my summer conditioning back and it has allowed me to keep weight down which is always a problem in the winter for me. If you are serious about really using your bike a trainer zwift makes it actually enjoyable.