Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Skin Lubes

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-07, 01:00 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Back in the old days when I was first learning the craft of cycling, my first coach (a former pro 6-day racer in Europe) had us using this Dutch creme called "Jecovitol." It was made from fish oil. It had a really nice smell because it was heavily perfumed, and it encouraged you to change shorts often because if you used the shorts more than one day, they would begin to smell rancid, like fish oil... the stuff was also quite expensive, around $7 a tube back in the early 1970's. But this is evidently what all the top pros used back then.

But back then, you *had* to use something because the chamois was just that - a piece of soft leather attached to wool shorts. When you washed the shorts, the chamois would turn to cardboard as it dried, so you'd have to really rub out the wrinkles, then apply something, anything, to get the leather soft again.

Once they started making synthetic chamois, you could ride without any lubrication. Unless it started raining. I remember doing races in the rain, and my butt would feel like it was burned raw from the wet synthetic. So anytime it rained, I would apply some cheap vitamin E cream from the local Uberdrugstore.

Oh, and one more thang: Vaseline is not good to put on shorts. It rots the threads.

- L.
Old 02-28-07, 06:22 AM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bac
There can be only one .... and this is it:

It's the best - just try it, and you can thank me later.
AMEN!
Old 02-28-07, 06:25 AM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
The Assos creme is popular. Pricey though. Has an anti-bacterial ingredient.

However, once again, water is its #1 ingredient, followed by glycerin and propylene glycol - the same top 3 as in most hand creams. At #4 is decyloleate, a common moisturizer. It doesn't really have much in the way of lubricants in it. Once you work your way through the top 4, you've covered about 90-95% of the volume of whats in it.

I tried a sampler of it a couple of times. Pretty average stuff. But it has its fans. The standard recommendation is to apply it to your shorts, where it makes much less of a mess than vaseline. And the anti-bacterial agent could come in handy.

What amazes me about it is the price they ask for it, especially given that it is made from common ingredients. They must make a fortune on it. Just like Eucerin does with Aquaphor.
I think the difference is that most general lotions are designed to sink into your skin. The Assos Creme stays on the surface longer (4 to 6 hours by my estimate). Also, I think you use more by putting it on your shorts and you have to guess where you need it. I tried that a few times, but went back to using it directly on the skin.
Old 02-28-07, 06:39 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
"I use chamois BUTTr for rides longer than 2 hours." I have no problem on my bike, but after two spinning classes last week, I developed some bad chaffing from the "one size fits most" spinning saddles. I bought some chamois buttr before spinning last night and it seems to have helped a lot. There is lots of good info on the road bike forum re types of cream and hygiene procedures (anti-bacterial soaps, etc.).
Old 02-28-07, 01:06 PM
Old biker

Bikes: Custom Cammack touring road and 1987 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm an old man and for long distance, say two week long tours, I use womens's Vagisel creme on my buttockal area. I can't get into going commando with Vasolene on my short's chamois padding, too gross for me. I wear briefs and the above lube. Never had a problem.
Old 03-01-07, 01:56 PM

Bikes: Trek 1200 and Trek hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use talk or baby powder which ever is cheaper at the time of need.
Old 03-05-07, 08:41 PM
Just ride.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Funny... back in the day some (okay, it was buycycling mag) recommended Noxema, and there was a photo of Andy Hampsten loading his (leather?) chamois. My experience was not so great. Seemed like it actually softened your skin, or maybe the eucalyptus or whatever just made it more sensitive. Plus, poor staying power. And to top it off, in a paceline, well, it smells like Noxema. After several hours, kind of like a mint with BO. Probably decent antibacterial, but I find cleaning quickly and thoroughly after to be pretty effective.
Old 03-06-07, 07:51 PM
Fun in the tub, no ring!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 to ASSOS
Old 05-28-11, 07:30 PM

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE, Fuji 3.0 Newest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just picked up a pair of Trek shorts. Going for a thirty mile ride tomorrow, going to try Aquaphore for anti chaffing. Forecast is calling for mid 80's and I'll be in the saddle for a couple of hours.
I know most of you folks consider this to be a short ride, but I am just starting back up (back on the bike late last August). Plus I have moderate psoriasis, which can get ugly very quickly!

Wishing everyone a happy and safe holiday weekend!
Old 05-30-11, 05:33 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use chamois buttr for any ride over 25 miles, a bit more if the ride will be over 62 miles. I dont feel that using chamois cream will make up for good shorts, bike fit, the right saddle, and proper saddle placement.
Old 05-30-11, 09:46 PM
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I recommend sliquid silver. This is a silicone based lubricant that is marketed as a sex aid but it also works as a general purpose skin lubricant. It is waterproof and lasts a very long time. It seems expensive at about $25 for an 8.5 ounce bottle but a small amount is all it takes. I used to use petroleum jelly but this works better, is not nearly as messy, is lycra and elastic compatible, and comes out easily in the laundry.
Old 06-01-11, 10:10 AM
Fat but Fit!

Bikes: Lynskey R340, Lynskey R230, Fisher Zebrano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I find it helpful on longer rides, especially when the weather is hot. I've used Vaseline, Bag Balm, Chammy Butt'r and others. I read about this one on a BF forum and I like it a lot. Cheap, pleasant smell and not too messy. Queen Helene's Cocoa Butter Creme, about $5 at Walmart.
I have used Chamois BUTT'r for a long time - but decided to try QHCBC based on this thread. So far I am very impressed - especially for the cost. MUCH more long lasting than than Chamois BUTT'r.

Going to try Bag Balm this year too.
Old 06-01-11, 08:38 PM
Cathedral City, CA

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by akohekohe
I recommend sliquid silver. This is a silicone based lubricant that is marketed as a sex aid but it also works as a general purpose skin lubricant. It is waterproof and lasts a very long time. It seems expensive at about $25 for an 8.5 ounce bottle but a small amount is all it takes. I used to use petroleum jelly but this works better, is not nearly as messy, is lycra and elastic compatible, and comes out easily in the laundry.
So when you are finished riding, you can start riding?
Old 06-02-11, 05:07 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Over 300,000 miles of cycling . . . NEVER used any lotion/potion on my butt.
Good shorts and good sadlle do the trick for me, and that includes over 100 centuries and half dozen double centuries.
Your need/experience may vary . . .
Old 06-02-11, 08:18 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cortizone 10 ointment.
Old 06-02-11, 08:37 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I ALWAYS use some sort of lube. The BOYS "complain" after about 20 mi if I don't. I guess it's just me, or the hot/humid FLA weather. When I first started riding 2 yrs ago, several people said to "buy the best shorts you can afford, at least $100, and use a chamois creme." I followed their advice on the shorts, but it took a few months for me to listen to the BOYS complaining to step up to the creme.

I've used Utterly Smooth (too thin) and Queen Helen (great smelling but a bit greasy on the saddle) and Shay Butter (nice, but I didn't like the rose scent)

Lately I've been using Walgreen's Therapeutic Moisturizing Creme, a Eucerin knock off. About 6 bucks for a big tub.
Old 06-03-11, 07:53 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use sweat. Works fine for me. Never had chaffing. Wouldn't know what it was if I had it. I mean lycra fits skin tight. There is nothing to rub. Of course now that I said that the next time I ride I will be chaffed. Is that the stuff military pilots use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GidIMIOI1uo

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 06-03-11 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-03-11, 08:34 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use more ChamoisButtr in the summer, and for longer rides. For a while I was tending to forget to cut back on shorter rides, and the tube was not lasting as long. I am more diligent about that now. If I get a sore spot, I will use bag balm on that area, until it is better.