Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

philisophical question to ponder...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

philisophical question to ponder...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-09, 05:02 PM
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
..."because someday I won't be able to do this anymore"...

I used to run. I ran everything from the 50 yard dash to marathons. I ran in the flats and in the mountains. I loved it and I thought I could do this forever. Then at age 57 a knee injury ended my running career and I could not do this anymore.

I ride now. I love it. I will ride for as many years as I can.
Old 09-13-09, 05:20 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To answer your question....no. I have not thought about the future of my riding. Maybe I should and in some way maybe I really do, by riding I believe I am extending my time. But to be honest I ride today and hope there is a tomorrow for me to ride again.

I think you have given me something to think about though.
Old 09-13-09, 05:45 PM
Just a Cyclist

Bikes: 08 Trek Madone 5.5, 07 Lemond Versailles-Carbon, 06 Lemond Croix de fer-True Temper, 95 Bianchi Eros-Chromoly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leinad
Hi fellow over 50 folks, I kinda lurk around the 50+ forum and post a reply occasionally, but this is may first thread.

A little pre question intro; I am 53, will be 54 very soon and the wife is going to be 50 in Nov. We are among the faster riders in our area and often have taken heat for it, ie. why do you guys always ride so fast...you ride too much, things like that. Well in pondering this question, while riding, I think I have found a reply and wanted some thoughts from others, or maybe better yet, comments on wether this has crossed your thoughts as well, so here goes...

My reply would be; "because someday I won't be able to do this anymore"

It often enters my thoughts as I ride on a beautiful road, race some young gun up a hill, or do 150 mile ride just because I can, that there will come a time when none of this will no longer be possible and in a personnel way it saddens me. Have or do any of you ponder this?

This forum has some unique perspectives and I will enjoy seeing what others have to say.

DAN

This is the reason I ride mostly by myself. I can go as fast or slow as I want and ride as far as I want and the only person that can be upset with me is me.
Old 09-13-09, 06:03 PM
Just a Cyclist

Bikes: 08 Trek Madone 5.5, 07 Lemond Versailles-Carbon, 06 Lemond Croix de fer-True Temper, 95 Bianchi Eros-Chromoly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
--------------
Nowhere enters the opinion of others in these priorities. It is MY LIFE.[/QUOTE]

Right on.
Old 09-13-09, 06:16 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gash44
--------------
Nowhere enters the opinion of others in these priorities. It is MY LIFE.
Right on.[/QUOTE]

This is for those of you too young to know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOfaYFIHt1g
Old 09-13-09, 06:25 PM
Just a Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
Right on.
This is for those of you too young to know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOfaYFIHt1g[/QUOTE]

Right on.
Old 09-14-09, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
. . .why do you guys always ride so fast...you ride too much, things like that. . .rreply would be; "because someday I won't be able to do this anymore"
Life is short. Spend time in the saddle, not providing apologia for why you live your life as you do. Let your trim body and serene mind do your explaining for you.
Old 09-14-09, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I used to ponder such stuff....until some very close loved ones who were healthy, vital, active people suddenly passed away. I no longer worry about what I won't be able to do in the future. Rather, I focus on what I can do today... tomorrow may or may not come. Should it come, I'll be thankful and deal with whatever it brings me.

In terms of the questions from the "other riders", I see these kinds of questions as "bear trap" questions. They don't really want an answer. They want to trap you into thinking the way they think and/or behaving the way they want you to behave. Personally, I would tend to answer those kinds of questions with, "Tell me what you really want to say. I get the feeling that you'd like me to conform to your standards of riding. I'm hopeful my feelings are wrong."
Old 09-14-09, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As to the qeustion about why you ride so much, the answer is that you live in Elyria and there's nothing else to do.
Old 09-14-09, 08:34 AM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
As to the qeustion about why you ride so much, the answer is that you live in Elyria and there's nothing else to do.
I must defend the OP a little here. Ohio does have some of the nicest cycling trails in the USA. We as cyclist should commend Ohio for that (cost money). There may be not much else to do in Elyria but the same can be said for many mid size towns in the USA such as Rockford, IL and many more.
I bike in Ohio since my Son lives in Dayton area. Fantastic bike trails. Wish we had them and wish they would connect all over the USA.
Biking allows us to be outside a lot in the summer. Bugs are bad in the Mid West but OK if you bike.
Fitness is an additional benefit.
If I would want cultural diversity I would go back to Germany. No contest.
Old 09-14-09, 08:55 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Retro grouch, I think you miss my point, read post #8
No, I don't think that I did. I do whatever I think is best for me at the time. What I think is best for me changes over time. When that happens, I change too.

Right now I can't ride at all due to injuries that I suffered in a bicycle accident. I guess that if I were to worry too much that it might recur, I'd be afraid to ride anymore. Insted, my highest priority is to avoid a setback so that I'll be able to get back on the bike as soon as possible.
Old 09-14-09, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I going to die one day also,I don't think about that either.
Old 09-14-09, 09:41 AM
Cycling afficianado

Bikes: 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2003 F600 Cannondale, 2003 Specialized Enduro, 2008 Torelli SS/FG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My reply would be: "because someday I won't be able to do this anymore"

DAN
That's the right answer! I'm 58 and ride like the wind while still I can!!!! I was riding the Lake Tahoe ride and a woman blew past me going up Spooner like I was walking. We got to the end of the ride and I went up to compliment her on her fitness. She was 66. hehe
Old 09-14-09, 09:56 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Leinad,

You are at a place where demands on your life are diminished. Both you and your wife have taken riding a bicycle to another level and are doing it together. More power to the both of you! Enjoy and savor the moment. If your interest and passion in riding faster and longer lingers then pursue it until your heart's no longer in it.

Last summer both my grown boys were riding road bikes and lived locally. They would both ride on our local group rides and I even got to do several races with them. Life's pathway includes changes, one son now teaches in Columbus and the other has entered grad school for the next year. I don't know if I will ever be able to ride with them like last summer but I will always have the memories. My commitment to riding is also balanced into my wife's life and around our other interest even though my dedication to the activity is paramount.
Old 09-14-09, 10:26 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"so fast"? "so much"? So what is "too fast"? And what is "too much"? I ride as fast as I do because I enjoy it and I ride as much as I do because I enjoy it.
Old 09-14-09, 11:17 AM

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I shouldn't post to this forum as I am no where near this age, but I know a guy who's 96 years old and continues to ride. Saw him just yesterday. He rides slow, on an old style bike, but he rides. Has his raincoat on, and a hat. And just rides.

I also met another woman who's 76, used to be a racing cyclist. She still rides. She also told me about her best friend who's 74, and also still rides.

Chin up everyone.
Old 09-14-09, 11:37 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The classic response to the "why ride a bicycle" is the traditional Zen story. I'm sure most of you have heard or read it, but for those who have not:

Five students of a Zen master was back from the market on their bicycles. As they dismounted, their master asked : Why are you riding your bicycles ?"

Each of them came up with different answers to their master's query.

The first student said "It is the bicycle that is carrying the sack of potatoes. I am glad that my back has escaped the pain of bearing the weight"

The master was glad and said : " You are a smart boy. When you become old you will be saved of a hunch back unlike me"

The second student had a different answer. " I love to have my eyes over the trees and the sprawling fields as I go riding"

The teacher commended : "You have your eyes open and you see the world"

The third disciple came up with yet a different answer : " When I ride I am content to chant 'nam myoho renge kyo'"

The master spoke words of appreciation " Your mind will roll with ease like a newly trued wheel"

The fourth disciple said : "Riding my bicycle in live in perfect harmony of things"

The pleased master said " You are actually riding the golden path of non-harming or non violence"

The fifth student said " I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle"

The master walked up to him and sat at his feet and said "I am your disciple!"

(From: https://living.oneindia.in/yoga-spiri...ry-030209.html)

L.
Old 09-14-09, 12:07 PM

Bikes: Serotta Fierte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My reply would be; "because someday I won't be able to do this anymore"

It often enters my thoughts as I ride on a beautiful road, race some young gun up a hill, or do 150 mile ride just because I can, that there will come a time when none of this will no longer be possible and in a personnel way it saddens me. Have or do any of you ponder this?
This forum has some unique perspectives and I will enjoy seeing what others have to say.

DAN

Hi Dan!

Nice post. I highlighted the part that spoke to me, because I feel that same way quite often. And you and the Mrs are really quite amazing in what you have accomplished, and the challenges you continue to rise to, in cycling. I especially think it's great that you can share your passion for cycling together as a couple. I'm getting Greg to come along, slow but sure!

I'm not quite 50 yet, but I certainly see the years piling up and getting used to the idea that I'm not as young as I used to be.

I guess for me it will always be a matter of trying to be the best I can, no matter the age. I might not be able to rock a sub-5hr century when I'm 65 (well, I can't do that now, but no matter ) but I know that I will be able to enjoy myself on the bike if I adjust my expectations and try to make the best I can of what will undoubtedly at some point become a diminishing capacity.

Colleen
Old 09-14-09, 03:11 PM
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I ride fast, as fast as I can. Like I am in a race, but against who, what?
I race against laziness,those tasty snacks in the cupboard, old age and inevitability.
I must stay ahead of the vices and I might out run the inescapable for a little while longer If I put the work in.

I am like a breakaway out in front of the peleton of old age and slowing down.
Eventually I will be caught but I will fight for every minute and every mile I can stay off the front.
Old 09-14-09, 04:13 PM
old but fast

Bikes: Trek 1200, Trek 5000, K2 moutain bike, Giant Option touring. Also have 6 other bikes for rest of family

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all!! It has been fun to read the many perspectives that each derives from the posed question. I don't think that there is a true right or wrong answer. It is all what each of us needs and desires and drives us on.

BTW Elyria ain't that bad, jeez! LOL! Well if ya been reading the paper lately I guess maybe it is.
Old 09-14-09, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I ride to enjoy today not knowing what tomorrow holds. Yes, I would miss it very much if it all ended tomorrow and certainly hope I will be doing it 30 years from now but am not booking any races or tours that far out..
Old 09-14-09, 10:56 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 2,492 Times in 1,464 Posts
I grew up in North Olmsted and my wife the west side of Cleveland - very familiar with Elyria. You need to find stronger cycling friends. We belong to a racing club and there is never a discussion about cycling too much, getting too strong or going too fast. We talk a lot about winning. Non cycling friends are totally clueless about performance cycling and the discipline required and many somewhat accomplished cyclists mostly clueless about racing.

I stay focused on my cycling goals and do not obsess about hypotheticals of getting old and blah blah blah. I think it is useless waste of energy, counter productive and in many cases out of my control. For ME, one thing is certain...I feel better and have a better state of well being with goals. The key for me is to make them achievable. IMHO, that is age independent.
Old 09-14-09, 11:16 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Geez!!! Got kids older than you!!!
At age 76 am doing it, and not just thinking it.
My days of sub-5 hour centuries are over. Am much slower now, but still can kick in a pretty good short sprint.
Still pedalin' 100+ miles a week.
Old 09-15-09, 08:59 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
I sometimes ride with a fellow who owns a jersey that says on the back: "You have just been passed by an 80 year old man." Please don't ask me how I know.

He holds an organized ride on his birthday each year. This summer the ride was 84 miles - with a cake stop in the middle.
Old 09-15-09, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been saying the same thing in many contexts, including cycling, for at least 15 years. A few years ago, in my 50s, I re-roofed my house by myself. It was pretty straightforward, just climb up there and nail down shingles, but people kept coming by making the usual comments about age, not accepting the passage of time, risking my life, blah blah blah: "Why are you doing that at your age?"
Because I still can, but won't always be able to. Because I'm a desk worker and enjoy the change. Because I saved between $5000 and $7000 with three or four days of work.
I'll be 65 in January, and every time I get on the bike these days, I remind myself to enjoy the ride, because I don't know how many I have left.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.